Traveling As A Passion

Guest YUM YUM

Here are some of my favorite places here and abroad!!!

Palawan- this place is practically heaven!!! I did my undergrad thesis here and I stayed for almost 1 a month! The good thing is all expenses paid ng company! Stayed in an apartment in Puerto Princesa and a guest house in Aborlan (next town south of PPS). At night, the stars were very bright and one can see the Milky Way! It's truly an awesome sight! The waters in Sabang beach near the Underground River are very clear! Kahit hanggang leeg and tubig eh kitang kita mo ang dumi ng kuko mo SA PAA!!! However, when taking the monkey trail, NEVER bring food in plastic bags by hand. Matatalino mga unggoy dun! May strategy pa nga sa pag-agaw ng pagkain! At gumagamit ng can opener!!! It's really worth seeing the place!!! I had a lot of fond memories there! TIP: Pag pupunta kayo doon, isama niyo special someone niyo o kaya yung prospect niyo! ;)

Puerto Galera - this place is my sanctuary! When my "gf" that time and I got into a huge fight, I went to this place alone to cool myself off. Sneaked from my parent's house at 3 in the morning with no idea how to get there and where to stay. Fortunately, when I arrived at White Beach, dami nagooffer ng cottage. SInce it was off season (October) mura mga places! I found a fan room with kitchen and bathroom for 1000 pesos a week!!! That's the whole time I stayed there! A very good deal!!! And yung cottage, nasa seaside!!! Sarap magreflect pag gabi, lying down on the beach and watching the stars. Sa araw naman, may part na medyo malayo, pwedeng mag skinny dipping! ;) Ingat nga lang kasi sa White Beach, medyo biglang lalim.

Ishigaki, Japan - I spent some of my best times of my life in this remote island. For those na hindi nakakaalam ng place na ito, it's the southernmost city of Japan. Mas malapit pa ito sa Taiwan kaysa sa Okinawa. Just look for the small island to the right of Taiwan on the map. Parang Pinas ang weather dito. they even have gumamelas! Been there last 1997 and I never egretted staying there. Nung una kasi gusto ko 2 months lang ako dun. If I would ever go there again, gusto ko kasama ko na mapapangasawa ko!

Shimizu, Japan - although I stayed here for only one month, back in 1993, I was amazed by this place. Imagine seeing Mt. Fuji everyday as I go to school. Also it's only 1 hour from Tokyo and 3 hours from Kyoto by shinkansen. I have a friend from that place and up to now, we still maintain contact. A historical and modern place in one. Home of the Shimizu S-Pulse, one of the soccer teams in J-League. This city is the birthplace of soccer in Japan

Trieste, Italy - Thank God for my job and I had the chance to go to this place twice, ALL EXPENSES PAID!!! Here one can find the largest tourist cave in the world (listed in the Guinness Book of World Records). It's so huge that St. Peter's Basilica of Vatican City can fit inside it. Also, Miramare Castle is, in my opinion, the best castle that I have seen! It's made of white marble and situated at the edge facing the Adriatic Sea. Guys, kung pupunta kayo dito, make sure you do it in summer (July-August). May road dito na along the shore na sa sidewalk eh ang daming nagsusunbathing na Italyana! Pag sinwerte ka, marami kang makikitang topless dito! :boo: Pagminalas ka naman, makakakita ka ng topless na 80 years old na Italyana! :sick: My friend saw one at nawalan siyang gana mag dinner! :lol: If you have time, Slovenia and Croatia is only 1 hour bus ride away. they have some beautiful towns and beaches there too! Kung gusto nio naman konting history, James Joyce, the famous writer spent years in this place.

Venice, Italy - I have been to this place three times, when I went to Trieste. It's only 2hours away from Trieste. The gondolas are nice pero mahal! 5000 pesos for a 45 minute ride! In my opinion, not worth it! Also, maganda mag explore ng side streets ng Venice. Piazza San Marco is simply breathtaking! Also, try seeing the Doge's Palace beside the Basilica. It's really worth it! I had a bad experience there though. When I was touring the place alone (pero may ibang tourists naman na di ko kilala), got lost in the dungeons! Then all of a sudden, parang unti unting nauubos mga tao hanggang ako na lang mag isa. I tried to find the way out pero I kept going to where I started. It's really creepy kasi medyo madilim then ang dadaanan mo eh yungmga prison cells na ginamit nung 1500 pas! Nakakapanindig balahibo! Try niyo ito kung may inclination kayo sa supernaturals! For the ladies, Rialto Markets is shopping heaven! I went there once with my mom and we spent 3 hours walking along a 200 meter long street! Pano ba naman, bawat store eh pinapasok. Just make sure you know some Italian para makakuha kayo ng discounts. :)

To be continued... (Next: Florence, Pisa and Rome, Italy, and Bohol)

If any of you guys want some advice to these places, pm niyo lang ako and I'll be very glad to help!

anyone been to tubatahah reef? any info will be appreciated.

NO,but I have sent a writer to cover it as well as customers,It is a reef located between Mindoro and Palawan.due to the weather,it is only diveable in march till mid june,because of its location diving tubbataha is possibile only from live aboard boats.trips last 6 days on average starting from puerto princesa websites of operators are www.divegurus.com.www.moonshadow.ch www.explorerfleet.com/live_aboard/tubbataha.html and www.divetristar.com.Trip from Puerto is usually 10 hours,you will not see any land except for the ranger station,no tv,cell sites etc.hope this helps regards

NO,but I have sent a writer to cover it as well as customers,It is a reef located between Mindoro and Palawan.due to the weather,it is only diveable in march till mid june,because of its location diving tubbataha is possibile only from live aboard boats.trips last 6 days on average starting from puerto princesa websites of operators are www.divegurus.com.www.moonshadow.ch www.explorerfleet.com/live_aboard/tubbataha.html and www.divetristar.com.Trip from Puerto is usually 10 hours,you will not see any land except for the ranger station,no tv,cell sites etc.hope this helps regards

thanks, will check out the sites you mentioned

Funny just posted a recommendation in the other site.

I've lots of little travel places but will start with the one I just mentioned.

Lake Sebu, South Cotabato. Very nice Place. About two hours from Gen San, through Marbel. The place reminds me of Switzerland or the ANdean lake region except the mountains are not as steep and rocky nor snowcapped, pero it's really green instead because of the forest! The lakes (there are three ) were different colors though there lots of fishpens and perhaps even more so now. But the place is truly beautiful. Very exotic even for us pinoys. The Tboli are not muslim but have their own religion, and their own culture . Their weavings are very famous The Tinalak. And maputi sila similar to our kababayans from the mountain province. Places to stay are numerous, all basic but passable and clean. There are seven waterfalls the biggest one required a two hour hike and very impressive. Lots of interesting hikes around. Then there's this really cool school put up by some missionaries the architecture is parang I don't know, very local based kasi. I've been to a lot of places all over the world and this is one of those I can't forget.

cheers :)

I wouldn't mind going back to Davao again for another longer vacation.

Ahh you're here too my post may sound redundant to you so here's another spot.

For everyone's sake too.

Since you like Davao, am very familiar with it. Next time youcan go to Eden, still in Davao City but a tourist District about 45 minutes away. The Ayala's (of banana not makati fame) converted their farm to agri resort. Very cool. Figuratively and literally. (It's Baguio weather)

Closer by on the Shrine hill is this bar whose name escapes me. I remember it's Jacks Ridge Go up to the Shrine and there will be this bar complex, several outlets coffee, rest, and acoustic bar with a small ampitheatre. Nice place to hang.

Of course you can go up mt. apo through Davao. Several routes all a bit more challenging the the one in Kidapawan. Also pass by the Eagle sanctuary in Calinan, this is where Pagasa lives , interesting place.

Looks like you didn't drop by Samal Island where Pearlfarm is.

a little bit further is mati, Davao Oriental. Davao Oriental is on the west coast of Mindanao and all the way till Surigao del Norte (Siargao Island is of the tip) basically very wild and in many places untouched. there's a nice little island of Pujada Bay where Mati is , called ... Pujada Island. Nice Diving , great white sand beach. Lots of good hikes, like the hidden lake (tinagong dagat) in the mountains near general generoso and the pygmy forest. This place off the beaten track that people from Davao haven't been to.

cheers.

WHen i was younger..i travelled a lot! i competed in surfing competitions for 13 consecutive years...its like back and forth Australia,Hawaii and other beaches in USA ,currently is the one in Tennessee and they even got surf spots in Thailand, whats good about this is that when you actually are active and you got these sponsors reeling in competitions and you have to give your best shot! I think the best surf spots i've been to is Bali...

Am curious, how do you find the surf in Siargao and Aurora ? Have you been there? :)

Good morning fellow travelers!

Had a friend who took his wife and daughter on a road trip one summer. Went from Laguna to Zamboanga on anything but an airplane. Stayed at small hostels and pension houses. Guess what his budget was? Food and drinks inclusive for 3 people..... P15,000!!!!! His name is Radel Paredes and teaches art in USC Cebu.

This is a true story :)

I've found that it's not that hard to travel on the cheap. You just have to adjust your expectations. be very patient. Time costs on travels is what really kills you. When I used to travel a lot I would go with people who were literally travelling for years. And while I could lets say budget 5$ a day all inclusive, for them this was too much and would only budget 1-2$ a day. Obviously this meant a lot of hitching, cook your own meals, simple nightlife, and the ability to wait out for the cheapest means of transpo to somewhere and lodging. Lalo na dito ang babait ng taga probinsiya, you can easily hook up with someone and they will offer you the best bed in their simple house. At the most basic,you can camp out in the local elementary school, then bus, jeep, tricylcle, skylab, pedicab, and walk all the way to the next stop! Have fun. :D

travelling has become such an integral part of my life that i would be a completely different person had it not been for the places i've been, the people i've met, and everything else i've experience along the way.

a few unforgettable spots and the reasons why:

london - the accent, the pubs, the people

amsterdam - uhm... everything that's illegal everywhere else is sold on the sidewalks

vienna - simply beautiful... especially in winter

new york - the center of the universe

paris - it took me several visits back just to finish the whole of the versailles

positano - also stunning...

florence - art lover's haven

madrid - the food's great

morocco - the smells, the flavors, the sights

boracay - ain't it obvious?

ilocos sur and norte, pagudpod - the churches, the ruins, the beaches... and being with my first puppy love

bangkok - the food and the cheap everything

am now looking forward to maybe going to africa next year and go on my first real safari. can't wait.

:rolleyes:

also...

napa valley - my mom's dream retirement hideaway... and every wine lover's dream vacay... there's always someone throwing a wine tasting somewhere

tuscany - surreal

bangkok - cheap shopping

hong kong - semi-cheap shopping... and lan kwai fong

barcelona - for gaudi's architecture

berlin - germans are from a whole other planet... out-of-this world experience

:)

zamboanga diary part 1

Zamboanga – Of pink sands and crimson minarets

After three days of feasting on curacha and frolicking on a beach in the basilan strait, I can and will say that Zamboanga is a must-see destination.

In the middle of nowhere –

I am standing on a sandbar roughly 20 minutes away from the poolside of the lantaka hotel. It is part of Little Sta. Cruz island and hardly anyone goes here except fishermen and adventurous souls like me. The sandbar is about five steps wide and half a kilometer long, quite small when compared to the Great Sta. Cruz island that lies in the distance. The sand is white with shells of different shapes and sizes. Some crushed, some a perfect specimen. Then I saw the bits of broken red, orange and blue coral that tinted the sand to a different hue. From a different angle, the white sand turned completely pink.

The boat ride costs at least 300 pesos per person and they’re all anchored off the Lantaka.

Solemn sunset –

I travel 19 kms. from the center of Zamboanga City, and the two crimson minarets of the 119-year old Taluksangay Mosque suddenly come into view.

It is late in the afternoon and the call of the muaddhin fills the air as it resonates from tiny speakers outside the mosque. He is reciting the azhan, or the call for prayers. After every pause, there is total silence.

Islam requires the faithful to pray five times a day. And as the light slowly fades, the men start gathering at the mosque. It is time for the maghrib, the fourth set of prayers that are recited just before the horizon darkens.

Inside the mosque only the clatter of electric fans disrupt the collective responses of the men to the imam’s words. They all face east…later in the evening they will return for the aisha, the last set of prayers.

Solid structure

The black coral walls of Fort Pilar, built in 1635 by a Jesuit engineer and the Spanish authorities, stand as a mute witness to the epic naval battles that were fought centuries ago. Up to a meter thick, the walls gave the Spaniards ample protection against waves of marauders like the British, Dutch and Portuguese.

Strategically located near the waterfront, it was known before as the Real Fuerza de Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza, and later shorted in 1899 to Fort Pilar. The few remaining canons inside have stayed frozen in their original positions and there is a gallery and museum that houses artifacts and ethnic art.

The eastern side of the fort has been converted into a shrine and devotees come here daily to light a candle and pray.

Spanish is alive

Nowhere is the influence of Spain heard louder than here. The Zamboanguenos speak Chavacano, which obviously evolved from Spanish but whose vocabulary includes Cebuano. This has become a distinct language...to be continued

It is so nice to read posts about wonderful places.

My family takes yearly trips out of the country, too. I can name but a few experiences as pleasurable as seeing the world with those you love.

I started traveling at two (my parents did not leave me. They are that generous.) Here are where I've been and why I love them so:

1. Canada - Whistler Mountain, among the top ski resorts in the world. Victoria, what a fairytale town that is. First visit in 1998. Second visit in 2001.

2. Croatia - the naval fortress of Dubrovnik. You never would've guessed the city was under siege about ten years ago. First visit in 2004.

3. Denmark - how beautiful the Tivoli Gardens are. First visit in 1977. No recollection of that trip. Second in 2004.

4. France - Paris. Enough said. First visit in 1977. Second in 1984. Third in 2004.

5. Germany - a very regimented, if a little more subtle nowadays, place. Frankfurt and Munich were fine. I wish German didn't always seem to sound so "angry". First visit in 2004.

6. Greece - Ah, now, there is a country worth revisiting. Santorini, its settlements atop cliffs make it look like an ice-capped volcanic island chain. Mykonos was a disappointment. I certainly didn't feel it was the "best Greek island" all those brochures proclaimed it to be. Olympia - one is left speechless looking at its ruins. The sense of history can be very overwhelming. The Temple of Zeus was enormous. Rhodes - there were so many depictions (on souvenirs) of how The Colossus stood guarding the ancient harbor that I couldn't recall how I had always pictured it. We also visited the Lindos Acropolis, the old city, the new city, a Crusader fort, and from a vantage point, one can glimpse the Turkish coast. What I "saw" were a thousand Greek biremes and triremes sailing for Troy and war. So, two wonders of the ancient world that we've seen. Not bad. We traveled by sea - aboard the Italian-flagged cruise ship Costa Victoria. First visit in 2004.

7. Japan - Tokyo and Osaka. Most exotic a culture Japanese have. Unfailingly polite people. Watch out for a hiss in their speech. First visit in 1977. Second visit in 1980. Third visit in 1996 (in transit to the US).

8. Italy and The Vatican - no other Western country, except, perhaps, Greece, can match Italy and The Vatican in the number of storied places to visit. We took the high-speed train to and from Venice, Florence, Bologna, Pisa, Milan, and Rome. The Costa Victoria's port of embarkation was Venice. Among its stops were Bari and Brindisi. You will see that every Italian city takes great pains to preserve the facade of its public buildings, but once when you step inside, everything is modern. I wish we Filipinos also had that same sense of urgency. First visit in 1977. Second visit in 1984. Third visit in 2004.

9. South Korea - I greatly admire that nation's homegrown high-technology. During the three weeks I was there, I counted only three cars (among the hundreds of thousands) of foreign make. My favorite part of that tour was going to the Demilitarized Zone. Uber exciting. Seoul is ultra-modern. Almost nobody spoke English. Well, some engaged us in the pigdin kind. Strange? No. It only shows the maturity of the Korean language. Those people don't need any other tongue to get by. First visit in 2002.

10. Spain - I was two. I don't recall anything. Even the pictures in Madrid, Seville, Barcelona, Santiago de Compostela, and Toledo do not help. In 2006, we will board another Costa ship and see Madre España once more. First visit in 1977. Second visit in 1984. I stayed in transit for only a day then, so I will not consider it.

11. Switzerland - Again, I was two. Bern, Geneva, and Zurich. Just the pictures. First visit in 1975.

12. The Bahamas - I grew up by the sea, in San Fernando, La Union. I've seen many beautiful beaches, but nothing prepared me for Half-moon Cay. The sand is so fine that it will not even stick to your wet soles. Were you to look into the horizon (at high noon, that is), you would not be able to tell when the sea ended and the sky began. We reached this paradise via tenders of the MS Westerdam during a Caribbean cruise. Nassau was nice. Very touristy. First visit in 2001.

13. The Netherlands - Once again, I was two. Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Yes, just the pictures. First visit in 1977.

14. The United States - is still my favorite holiday destination. I prefer the East to its West coast. West Palm Beach, FL, and Augusta, GA, are where I usually stay. Florida offers Miami, Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, and Orlando. Fun, fun, fun. Georgia means relaxation at my uncle's 10-acre property, only two of which he's actually seen. He lives in a Victorian house favored by the gentlefolk of the American South. The only reason I like California is Lake Tahoe. Else, I look for a reason to head to the next state. I've been to most American states. NYC is my favorite metropolis. I love America!! First visit in 1977. Second in 1980. Third in 1984. Fourth, 1996. Fifth, 2001.

15. The United Kingdom - I stayed with an HS classmate. He was worried he might have to skip work to be able to show me around. My siblings and I told him we were quite accomplished tourists, and that to him, was reassuring (we managed to extract a return invitation.) We finished the must-sees of London in three days. Three days of partying followed immediately. First visit in 2004. I cannot wait to visit that city again. Stonehenge, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are on my list in 2006.

Now, my younger sister, at 25, left us in London and went backpacking alone a la Lonely Planet all over Western Europe. Such a brave girl, she is. This November, she will attend a cousin's wedding in Atlanta, GA, and then, will proceed to South America. Then again, she is full of wanderlust and incidentally, has so much money, that she can afford to go.

Next summer, the family will go on a Mexican cruise to Acapulco and Cancun. Our side trips will include visiting the ruins of the Aztecs, Toltecs, Olmecs, and Mayans. Understandably, I am beside myself with excitement.

2007 is reserved for Africa. We still cannot decide whether to visit the north or south.

Oh, how I wish the Israelis and Palestinians make peace with each other. If that happens, it would mean every other trip we have planned takes a backseat to making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

We hope to be in Beijing in 2008. I pray we do not miss out on the Olympics then. In Greece this year, I could not believe Athens was not one of our stops. We cancelled going to Sydney in 2000 because of a family emergency. I left Atlanta in the summer (our) of 1996. Whew.

If nations that host airline hubs are counted, then you can say I've visited every Southeast Asian country. Oh, well.

I am 29. I have all the time in the world. I mean to see it all one day.

I love traveling and entered a job where I have no chioce but to travel. While "overseas" (since I always considered myself overseas except while in the Phils.) I study their history one of my foremost passions.

I would love to post all the countries I've been to, but pictures speak louder than words, so if you are interested just visit the "Travel Pics" thread or Click here where it starts.

Edited by azrach187
Next summer, the family will go on a Mexican cruise to Acapulco and Cancun. Our side trips will include visiting the ruins of the Aztecs, Toltecs, Olmecs, and Mayans. Understandably, I am beside myself with excitement.

those must be on two different cruises, since acapulco is on the mexican riviera (pacific), while cancun is on the mexican carribean; (or if all on one trip, most probably have a third that would take you on a panama canal cruise).

zamboanga diary part II

continued...that, at first sounds unconjugated or even genderless and archacic at times, but has, nonetheless, the force, fury and finality of Spanish. I do notice the difference between the Chavacano in Zambo and the Chavacano in Cavite, where Tagalog words are added. If you're among those who neglected the 12 units of Spanish in the university, or were satisfied by merely receiving a passign grade, and do not even know a little bit of Cebuano at that, well...too bad, because listening to Chavacano is a pleasure.

The sea and its bounty

In this city's public market, bangus, tilapia arenothing, usually confined to the least visible section of every fish vendors' domain. Yellow fin tuna, some the size of a small banca, blue marlin seem to be ordinary. Every other vendor sells prawns. And here, they still sell by the bunch rather than by the kilo. The curacha and lobster are both pricey but still very much affordable compared to Manila (if you can find it there at all), and very fresh.

Then there are those other unique delights from the sea., in shells or in their natural form, some of them in rainbow colors. As for the fruits, banana, durian, mango and marang are sold everywhere. In an alley near the port, and up to the main entrance, the wall of soft yellow glows with the rays of the sun.

Rise early and take a walk in the market. So full of life even during the darkness of morning, it is a place that mirrors the soul of the city. At any time, the ethnic diversitt of Zamboanga is very much visible. There is no clash despite the presence of Spanish, Chinese, Sama, Subanon, Yakan, Tausug and Badjao cultures.

Postcript

The only expensive part is the airfare. But you can always take a boat, a journey that will obviously take longer. The Lnataka and it bar are famous so it will be worth staying there. Besides, it's really the best hotel. Food is so cheap everywhere...don't forget to try the best pan de coco in RP. It is baked daily at a bakery that is open 24 hours a day. Ask for directions...everyone knows it. I was there during the Hermosa Festival, and while there was a policeman at almost every corner, and the military in full force, there were no untoward incidents. Viaje con Diyos!

so you've been on a 'dam ship!!  :cool:

half moon cay is fantastic. my trip to that place was on the oosterdam.

Oh, hello, eagleyes, my fellow Holland-America-Lines-cruiser.

Half-moon Cay anyday!!

From what mom told me, it will be one cruise. Yes, I do realize Cancun and Acapulco are on different coasts. I would love to pass through the Panama Canal. Now, having said that, what I really am looking forward to is visiting the ruins. Those Spring-Break hotspots I can do without.

Have you been on any other cruises? I recommend a Costa cruise on the Mediterranean. Very nice. The Westerdam was rechristened The Costa Europa (I could be wrong) and is now part of the Costa fleet.

When travelling, go by ship, guys. You will not regret it. Else, take the train. Forget airplanes.

Have you been on any other cruises? I recommend a Costa cruise on the Mediterranean. Very nice. The Westerdam was rechristened The Costa Europa (I could be wrong) and is now part of the Costa fleet.

yes, i've been on a few. eastern carribean, western carribean, bahamas, caymans, mexican riviera, tahiti. multiple times in the carribean, plus i own 2 time shares in cancun. cancun and the the mayan riviera is my favorite place in the world. i'm sure you will visit chichen itza when you go to cancun. bring lots of sun block. :)

talk your parents into booking a paul gauguin cruise in tahiti :cool:

yes, i've been on a few. eastern carribean, western carribean, bahamas, caymans, mexican riviera, tahiti. multiple times in the carribean, plus i own 2 time shares in cancun. cancun and the the mayan riviera is my favorite place in the world. i'm sure you will visit chichen itza when you go to cancun. bring lots of sun block.  :)

talk your parents into booking a paul gauguin cruise in tahiti  :cool:

That's great, eagleyes. Our time shares are elsewhere, but once when we move up in the world, they'll be where yours are, too. Hehe, sorry. I meant once when I move up.

About Tahiti, you know, maybe I will. Thank you.

Take care.