Back To The 70's

True. Very true.

Her career went on a super speed downhill spin from there. She even made it worse by refusing to have the American national anthem played in one of her concerts in the US whcih even angered more people.

After she did a cover of Prince's song ["Nothing Compares To You"], she has disappeared totally from the music scene.

:D

This year marks the 30th year of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. When it started in 1975, among the originals were Dan Ayckroyd, Chevy Chase, the late John Belushi, the late Gilda Radner. Among the other alumni were Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Adam Sandler, Billy Crystal, Chris Rock, the late Chris Farley, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers (Austin Powers) - all greats who later made a big name in movies later on.

What I remember most vividly about the show was an episode in 1992 (?) wherein the guest musical performer Sinead O' Connor performed Bob Marley's WAR a capella, at the end of which she tore up a photo of Pope John Paul II. I got to read a write-up of this incident lately. All the people on the show (it was always live) got into a state of shock when this happened but this did not prevent the show's director at the time to have the presence of mind not to flash the AUDIENCE APPLAUSE sign at the end of the song - the result of which there was total silence when Sinead finished her antic.

What was loathsome about the incident was that during the show's dress rehearsal, Sinead requested to insert this a capella song and at the rehearsal what she was showing and tore up was a picture of children in poverty. All along she was planning this stunt and really wanted to pull a fast one on the show.

Sinead by the way was born and raised in Catholic Ireland and was temporarily a nun before she became a musical artist.

True. Very true.

Her career went on a super speed downhill spin from there. She even made it worse by refusing to have the American national anthem played in one of her concerts in the US whcih even angered more people.

After she did a cover of Prince's song ["Nothing Compares To You"], she has disappeared totally from the music scene.

:D

I dunno what's wrong with her - I think she was a rape victim or something when she was younger..sayang she had talent pa naman...

A lot of people blame their Catholic upbringing on everything that goes wrong with their life - pouring out their angst against an institution which teaches mercy and compassion. I guess Sinead was one of those unfortunate people...

pare, EB na! let's go to a joint playing 70's and 80's music, including Sinead's NOTHING COMPARES TO U. :P

Speaking of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi - THE BLUES BROTHERS was a good film, I guess, fun at the least. Great soundtrack with the PETER GUNN theme.

In the opening scene where Belushi is being released from prison, the prison guard is doing an inventory of his personal belongings......".....towel, pencil, pen, condoms, USED CONDOMS....." or something like that :P

John Belushi was a great comedian - but he couldn't handle his demons and died young. Chris Farley came aboard around the mid-90's and he admitted that Belushi was his idol. They look similar - Farley was also obese. Farley even went to the extent of wearing some pants of Belushi which he found in Belushi's old locker. Farley later also died young because of his excesses.

Edited by bods1000
Speaking of Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi -  THE BLUES BROTHERS was a good film, I guess, fun at the least. Great soundtrack with the PETER GUNN theme.

In the opening scene where Belushi is being released from prison, the prison guard is doing an inventory of his personal belongings......".....towel, pencil, pen, condoms, USED CONDOMS....." or something like that :P

I agree with you pards! :cool: If I were to list down my top ten favorite movies of all time, the Blues Brothers (the original, not the BB 2000 ha) will definitely be on that list.

I agree with you pards! :cool:  If I were to list down my top ten favorite movies of all time, the Blues Brothers (the original, not the BB 2000 ha) will definitely be on that list.

yes, BB2000 sucks - just like those Woodstock revivals circa 90's...nothing beats the originals...

pare welcome back! you've been gone a long time...How are things?

since you've mentioned favorite top ten movies, ano yung other 9 mo? :P

hey guys, I got an idea! why don't we list down here our favorite ten movies? To narrow down our list, dahil madami talaga, we only choose those movies that came out in the 70's (kahit early 80's pwede na din hehehe)...

I'll start out with my own....

-Blues Brothers

-Midnight Cowboy (great John Schlesinger film. The final scene with the dead Dustin Hoffman, decked out in a Hawaiian shirt, with Jon Voight on a bus to Florida, made a great impression on me as a child. Still does today)

-Deliverance (great job by John Boorman. The atmosphere of fear and dread permeating the film as the characters of Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, and Ned Beatty navigate the unknowns of some rural backwater)

- Taxi Driver (great great great)

- The Godfather 1

- The Godfather 2 (what more can be said about these great films)

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (well well well)

- Take the Money and Run (a fun film by Woody Allen. Made in a mock docu style - so funny. When Woody's character was finally sentenced to 800 years in prison during the film's finale - the narrator said that with good behavior he can cut the sentence in half :thumbsupsmiley: Do anybody else remember that episode where the prisoners cancelled a planned jailbreak at the very last minute but nobody was able to inform Woody about the cancellation, in effect leading to some riotous scenes :D )

- Annie Hall ( so charming........)

- The Revenge of the Pink Panther (sayang talaga si Peter Sellers - he is so great!!!)

- Take the Money and Run (a fun film by Woody Allen. Made in a mock docu style - so funny. When Woody's character was finally sentenced to 800 years in prison during the film's finale - the narrator said that with good behavior he can cut the sentence in half :thumbsupsmiley: Do anybody else remember that episode where the prisoners cancelled a planned jailbreak at the very last minute but nobody was able to inform Woody about the cancellation, in effect leading to some riotous scenes :D )

Was that the scene where Woody carves a soap into the shape of a gun? He uses it to hostage

a guard, but when they get out of the building it was raining, so of course the gun/soap

produces bubbles and he is caught again. That was really hilarious. :D

- The Revenge of the Pink Panther (sayang talaga si Peter Sellers - he is so great!!!)

Hehehe....

"Do you have a ryume?"

"A ryume?"

"Yes, a ryume!"

"Oh! A room!"

"Do you have a license for that minkey?"

"What minkey?"

"That minkey!"

"Oh! This monkey!"

"No, Kato, no. Not now, Kato!"

I believe the movie ended with Herbert Lom confined to an insane asylum. Hehehe

Other great Peter Sellers films: A Shot in the Dark (where he also played Clouseau), The Party (Birdy numnum! Birdy numnum!), Where Does it Hurt?... and, of course, the other Pink Panther films.

I'm still waiting for HBO Asia to show the film on the life of Peter Sellers, which I believe won a Golden Globe (or was it an Emmy?).

My list of 10 top 70s movies: anim muna, mamaya na yung apat

The Godfather - "I will give him an offer he cannot refuse."

Taxi Driver - "You talkin' to me"?

The Seven-ups - Remember this Roy Scheider film? Great car chase with him at the wheel of a green-colored Chevy Nova

The Song Remains The Same - Live, alive and raw

Only When I Laugh - I think this was a Woody Allen film, starring Karen Black and Christy McNichol

Coalminer's Daughter - The story of Loretta Lyn and how she rose to fame; Sissy Spacek won best actress here

yes, BB2000 sucks - just like those Woodstock revivals circa 90's...nothing beats the originals...

hey guys, I got an idea! why don't we list down here our favorite ten movies? To narrow down our list, dahil madami talaga, we only choose those movies that came out in the 70's (kahit early 80's pwede na din hehehe)...

I'll start out with my own....

-Blues Brothers

-Midnight Cowboy (great John Schlesinger film. The final scene with the dead Dustin Hoffman, decked out in a Hawaiian shirt, with Jon Voight on a bus to Florida, made a great impression on me as a child. Still does today)

-Deliverance (great job by John Boorman. The atmosphere of fear and dread permeating the film as the characters of Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight, and Ned Beatty navigate the unknowns of some rural backwater)

- Taxi Driver (great great great)

- The Godfather 1

- The Godfather 2 (what more can be said about these great films)

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (well well well)

- Annie Hall ( so charming........)

Those are great movies pareng Bods

Well I'll put my memorable movies na wala sa list mo

Fist of Fury - first movie na napanood ko si Bruce Lee

Sleeper - another great Woody Allen Movie

Gone in 60 seconds - halos boong Notre nanood nito sa Cubao.

Jaws - it gave me the creeps that I avoided sea travel as much as I can

Westworld - Yul Bryner as The Gunslinger (reminded me of The magnificent 7), the original Terminator

The Exorcist - ibang klaseng horror pero hindi ako natakot kasi hindi naman ako niwala dito, same with the Omen

Superman - hindi kita tali

Starwars - great effects, bow talaga ako.

Saturday Night Fever - this revived the disco. JT struts!

Dirty Harry - Make my day

Was that the scene where Woody carves a soap into the shape of a gun? He uses it to hostage

a guard, but when they get out of the building it was raining, so of course the gun/soap

produces bubbles and he is caught again.  That was really hilarious.  :D

I think that was part of it, pare...when he was already in the courtyard and doing their prearranged signalling and passwords, all the other inmates were laughing at him because he was all alone and everybody realized that Woody was not told of the cancellation :lol:

there was also this scene where Woody's chain gang were able to escape and found refuge in an old couple's house. Of course all of them (about 8 or 10) were still shackled together at the ankles and were shuffling along as a group as they moved about the house. That was hilarious! When they were finally caught, the old couple was interviewed and admitted that they didn't realize that they were escaped convicts, inspite of the chain gang's odd movements about the house. They said they just thought they were a CLOSE FAMILY :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehehe....

"Do you have a ryume?"

"A ryume?"

"Yes, a ryume!"

"Oh! A room!"

"What minkey?"

"That minkey!"

"Oh!  This monkey!"

"No, Kato, no.  Not now, Kato!"

I believe the movie ended with Herbert Lom confined to an insane asylum.  Hehehe

Other great Peter Sellers films: A Shot in the Dark (where he also played Clouseau), The Party (Birdy numnum! Birdy numnum!), Where Does it Hurt?... and, of course, the other Pink Panther films.

I'm still waiting for HBO Asia to show the film on the life of Peter Sellers, which I believe won a Golden Globe (or was it an Emmy?).

Herbert Lom, who is Closeau's boss, always ends up in an asylum in all of the Pink Panther movies :P

A SHOT IN THE DARK was actually the first Pink Panther film.

Peter Sellers' bumbling, deadpan characterization of Inspector Closeau was a classic - one for the ages..

Blake Edwards, who married Julie Andrews, directed all these Pink Panther films..after which he did TEN, with Bo Derek and the late Dudley Moore...

Who could also forget Mancini's great theme song for those movies.........

My list of 10 top 70s movies: anim muna, mamaya na yung apat

The Godfather - "I will give him an offer he cannot refuse."

Taxi Driver - "You talkin' to me"?

The Seven-ups - Remember this Roy Scheider film? Great car chase with him at the wheel of a green-colored Chevy Nova

The Song Remains The Same - Live, alive and raw

Only When I Laugh - I think this was a Woody Allen film, starring Karen Black and Christy McNichol

Coalminer's Daughter - The story of Loretta Lyn and how she rose to fame; Sissy Spacek won best actress here

pareng sally, ang tagal mo na namang nawala :lol: kumusta na dyan?

yeah THE SEVEN-UPS...great chase movie...this came on the heels of THE FRENCH CONNECTION - now why the hell did I not include THE FRENCH CONNECTION in my list :cool:

pare I don't think it's a Woody film...those I can remember from the 70's were LOVE AND DEATH, SLEEPER, BANANAS, MANHATTAN....

Was that in LOVE AND DEATH where Woody complained that his wife was so cold and frigid that he had to wear gloves when making love to her :lol:

A classic line in ANNIE HALL:

Woody, the quintessential New Yorker, ponders the sterility of the West Coast - "Do you wonder why LA is so clean? It's because they turn all their garbage into TV shows." :lol:

Those are great movies pareng Bods

Well I'll put my memorable movies na wala sa list mo

Fist of Fury - first movie na napanood ko si Bruce Lee

Sleeper - another great Woody Allen Movie

Gone in 60 seconds - halos boong Notre nanood nito sa Cubao.

Jaws - it gave me the creeps that I avoided sea travel as much as I can

Westworld - Yul Bryner as The Gunslinger (reminded me of The magnificent 7), the original Terminator

The Exorcist - ibang klaseng horror pero hindi ako natakot kasi hindi naman ako niwala dito, same with the Omen

Superman - hindi kita tali

Starwars - great effects, bow talaga ako.

Saturday Night Fever - this revived the disco. JT struts!

Dirty Harry - Make my day

nako!

Dirty Harry nga pala saka Sat Night Fever :lol: great list you have there, pareng storm!

The Gunslinger robot of Yul was actually patterned after his Magnificent 7 cowboy..

Also those Indiana Jones movies - great movies!

I won't give a top 10 (yet), but to me, one of the best movies to come out from the 70s, apart from the two "Godfather" movies, was "The Omen."

Who can forget that scary music? Or the priest being impaled? Or James Warner being beheaded? Or Billy Whitelaw (the nanny) giving Damien that evil smile? Or June 6, 6 a.m. (666)? Or Gregory Peck finding the skeleton of a jackal where Damien's mother is supposed to be buried, then later reciting the poem, "When the Jews return to Zion/and the comet rips the sky..."

It was really the last great horror movie to come out of Hollywood.

pareng sally, ang tagal mo na namang nawala :lol:  kumusta na dyan?

yeah THE SEVEN-UPS...great chase movie...this came on the heels of THE FRENCH CONNECTION - now why the hell did I not include THE FRENCH CONNECTION in my list :cool:

pare I don't think it's a Woody film...those I can remember from the 70's were LOVE AND DEATH, SLEEPER, BANANAS, MANHATTAN....

Was that in LOVE AND DEATH where Woody complained that his wife was so cold and frigid that he had to wear gloves when making love to her :lol:

A classic line in ANNIE HALL:

Woody, the quintessential New Yorker, ponders the sterility of the West Coast - "Do you wonder why LA is so clean? It's because they turn all their garbage into TV shows." :lol:

Hey Bods, how are you? Init ngayon dito, humidity is oppressive. To continue, here are the other 4.

Marathon Man - stars Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, memorable line as Olivier is pulling out Hoffman's tooth, "Is it safe?"

The Odessa File - Jon Voight chasing remnants of the alleged Fourth Reich

Lipstick - A story about rape and retribution, with the late Margaux Hemingway and her sister Mariel

Summer of 42 - Jennifer O'Neal is just beautiful in this film, where a younger falls for her

I'm working on big personal project this year kaya busy talaga. Pero pag may eb around the QC area I will try my best to make it. :cool:

Nice list of top ten movies you got there.

My all-time favorites would have to be (in no particular order, just top of mind):

Saturday Night Fever - I must have seen in 3-4 times in separate occassions when I was in high school. We really had to learn how to do those dance steps.

Exorcist 1 - I still think this is the scariest horror movie I've ever seen.

Omen 1 - This movie really got me thinking scary thoughts.

Godfather 1 - Actually, a lot of dragging scenes here and there and arguably, some people consider part 2 to be better BUT if not for part 1, there would be no part 2 diba?

Rocky 1 - Same comments as in Godfather 1.

The Great Escape - I'm not really into war movies but I really enjoyed this one. Still looking for a VCD or DVD of this movie but can't find one for sale.

The Blues Brothers - Funny!

My Cousin Vinny - May come as a surprise to find this tile in my list. My wife, for one, hates this movie but somehow, I find it really, really funny.

Top Secret - Maybe another surprising inclusion. The movie is so crass it never fails to make me laugh everytime I watch it.

Kalabog and Bosyo - Starring Dolphy and Panchito. I think this the funniest local film I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Also brings memories of my childhood.

I think that was part of it, pare...when he was already in the courtyard and doing their prearranged signalling and passwords, all the other inmates were laughing at him because he was all alone and everybody realized that Woody was not told of the cancellation :lol:

there was also this scene where Woody's chain gang were able to escape and found refuge in an old couple's house. Of course all of them (about 8 or 10) were still shackled together at the ankles and were shuffling along as a group as they moved about the house. That was hilarious! When they were finally caught, the old couple was interviewed and admitted that they didn't realize that they were escaped convicts,  inspite of the chain gang's odd movements about the house. They said they just thought they were a CLOSE FAMILY :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Pards! It is obvious you and a lot of the other people here have seen more Woody Allen films than me so let me ask you this. I remember watching one Woody Allen movie which I thought was particularly funny yet I can't remember the title because it was such a long time ago.

In the movie, Woody was playing the part of a loser and there was one scene where he was supposed to rob a bank and he spent a good part of the morning arguing with his wife what he was going to wear that day. When he got into the bank, there was another group of bank robbers who came in before him and so he was pleading with the other robbers to just come back some other day. The other scene I recall is where he comes into this establishment one night and just when you thought he was cutting off the glass so he could get in and steal, it turns out he just after the piece of glass that he cut from the window.

What movie is this? :unsure:

I won't give a top 10 (yet), but to me, one of the best movies to come out from the 70s, apart from the two "Godfather" movies, was "The Omen."

Who can forget that scary music?  Or the priest being impaled?  Or James Warner being beheaded?  Or Billy Whitelaw (the nanny) giving Damien that evil smile?  Or June 6, 6 a.m. (666)?  Or Gregory Peck finding the skeleton of a jackal where Damien's mother is supposed to be buried, then later reciting the poem, "When the Jews return to Zion/and the comet rips the sky..."

It was really the last great horror movie to come out of Hollywood.

yeah it was a really chilly movie...still gives me shivers now...

one of the last great films of Gregory Peck...

pare give us now your list :P

Pards!  It is obvious you and a lot of the other people here have seen more Woody Allen films than me so let me ask you this.  I remember watching one Woody Allen movie which I thought was particularly funny yet I can't remember the title because it was such a long time ago. 

In the movie, Woody was playing the part of a loser and there was one scene where he was supposed to rob a bank and he spent a good part of the morning arguing with his wife what he was going to wear that day.  When he got into the bank, there was another group of bank robbers who came in before him and so he was pleading with the other robbers to just come back some other day.  The other scene I recall is where he comes into this establishment one night and just when you thought he was cutting off the glass so he could get in and steal, it turns out he just after the piece of glass that he cut from the window.

What movie is this? :unsure:

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, pare....

Woody whines in that scene, something to this effect, "Oh, for crying out loud...Nobody wears plaid in a bank robbery" :lol:

In that bank scene where Woody's group encounters another group robbing the bank at the same time, he actually asks the bank customers and personnel to take a VOTE as to which group they would like to be robbed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Woody's first attempt to rob a bank as a neophyte he actually misspells the note he gives to the teller. The dialog goes something like this:

TELLER: What is this, "I have a.... gub?"

WOODY: No, that's "gun."

TELLER: It looks like a "b."

WOODY: No, it's "gun."

Whereupon the teller calls the other bank employees and they begin arguing among themselves about what the note actually says. Woody just says to hell with it and leaves :lol:

Hey Bods, how are you? Init ngayon dito, humidity is oppressive. To continue, here are the other 4.

Marathon Man - stars Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, memorable line as Olivier is pulling out Hoffman's tooth, "Is it safe?"

The Odessa File - Jon Voight chasing remnants of the alleged Fourth Reich

Lipstick - A story about rape and retribution, with the late Margaux Hemingway and her sister Mariel

Summer of 42 - Jennifer O'Neal is just beautiful in this film, where a younger falls for her

same here, pare...you know when I watch the televised proceedings at the Vatican, I get green with envy because the people there are actually in coats and jackets - which means at this same time, malamig pa din dun sa Europe :P

pare, nice news from you ha - sana matuloy hehehe

I remember Lipstick - atat kaming manuod nito kasi there were some sex scenes in it :P

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN was a runaway favorite movie of mine! It was hilarious in the way Woody Allen portayed the character of "Virgil". The movie was shot in a pseudo-documentary format where Virgil's friends and family were narrating anecdotes about him. Among the highlights added to what bods1000 described:

1. In a chain gang prison, Woody Allen was subjected to solitary confinement. It was not totally "solo" as part of the torture was that he would spend 3 days in the chamber with a persistent insurance salesman.

2. He tried to run over his cruel lady landlord with a small car inside her house. Yes, inside.

3. I remember the scene descired by jetrink: He tried to escape jail by carving a soapbar into the shape of a revolver and coloring the soap with black shoe wax. Unfotunately, it was raining when he walked out with the guard and the gun soon turned into soapy suds and bubbles.

4. He once joined a Marching Brass Band-- playing a Cello.

5. His parents were interviewed and both wore Groucho Marx glasses and moustaches in order to hide their faces as they were ashamed of their son, Virgil.

Regards!

:)

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, pare....

Woody whines in that scene, something to this effect, "Oh, for crying out loud...Nobody wears plaid in a bank robbery" :lol:

In that bank scene where Woody's group encounters another group robbing the bank at the same time, he actually asks the bank customers and personnel to take a VOTE as to which group they would like to be robbed! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

In Woody's first attempt to rob a bank as a neophyte he actually misspells the note he gives to the teller. The dialog goes something like this:

TELLER: What is this, "I have a.... gub?"

WOODY: No, that's "gun."

TELLER: It looks like a "b."

WOODY: No, it's "gun."

Whereupon the teller calls the other bank employees and they begin arguing among themselves about what the note actually says. Woody just says to hell with it and leaves  :lol:

Edited by 16track

Bro:

Add this line to that Pink Panther movie:

After asking the InnClerk, if he has a ryume, Clouseau asked:

"Des your Dog bite" as he pointed to the mutt sitting on the floor.

"No, he does not"

Clouseau pats the dog then gets bitten on the hand.

"I thought you said yer Dog des not bite"

"Yes, but that is not my dog!"

Hilarious! :D

Hehehe....

"Do you have a ryume?"

"A ryume?"

"Yes, a ryume!"

"Oh! A room!"

"What minkey?"

"That minkey!"

"Oh!  This monkey!"

"No, Kato, no.  Not now, Kato!"

I believe the movie ended with Herbert Lom confined to an insane asylum.  Hehehe

Edited by 16track