Back To The 70's

So it's really gone.  I thought that certain groups had succeeded in blocking the demolition.  What a waste of great architecture.

A lot of what we knew back in the 70s are gone.  The theaters along Recto and Avenida seem to be gone as well.  The theaters in Cubao, particularly along Aurora Blvd., have become hellholes. With the exception of the theaters at Ali Mall (which have bad sound systems), most theaters in Cubao have resorted to showing R- or X-rated films just to draw people in.  Remember how, in the 1970s, Remar was one of the best in Metro Manila?  The largest theater in Cubao was Coronet, which had a really spacious Orchestra section.  It has now followed the lead of Alta and Diamond in its offerings. 

There's a lot of reinvention (not just renovation) going on in Cubao these days, but it's on the Araneta side (e.g. Gateway Mall), where it's beginning to look a lot like Makati.  But on the other side of Aurora Blvd., it's decadent.  I won't call it moribund, because with all the clubs there (hehehe, I go there, too, now and again, when I have the cash; sorry, I'm evil), there's still a lot of business going on.

pare isama mo ko minsan dyan sa mga pinupuntahan mo sa Cubao :P

I remember nung 70's yung mga Alibangbang and other "beer gardens" along Aurora fronting Farmers.

Pateng Storm and JT, I don't think all were scams. There was an instance when I stayed nearly glued to one puzzle in front of Diamond theater. No one could seem to win. But then I saw a solution and bet 20 pesos. After the first move, the fellow asked if I knew this particular puzzle. I said no, but he knew that I knew the solution. He then hastily closed the board and handed me 10 pesos. A few days later, I saw him again and the same puzzle...he just winked at me, sort of suggesting that I don't let the other kibitzers in on the solution!

When I was in high school, Cubao was the place to go. The then new Quad was far and Greenhills was a Lasallite's preserve. I spent a lot of money playing billiards at D'Or and buying tapes and records at Dyna near the arcade besides Quezon theater. I also recall watching Alma Moreno's Ligaw na Bulaklak at Cinema 21 near the Fiesta Carnival. Sarap talaga ng 70's...you had all the freedom...and everything was cheap!

Well, good for you pero karamihan talaga ay scam. Parang kagaya nung may ahas at nagbebenta ng gamot. :D

Kami rin ay madalas din noon sa Cubao, wala pa kasing SM City noon. Pero madalas rin kaming dumadayo noon sa Makati kasi hindi naman matraffic noon sa Edsa and mas magaganda ang mga chicks dun. Kahit mga salesladies ng SM noon ay magaganda.

Nang kasikatan ng Disco from 75-80 ay halos 3x a week kaming nasa Makati.

I remember D'Or.  That was THE PLACE for billiards.  Cinema 21 was the first theater where you could recline in an adjustable seat.  There even used to be a place beside Quezon Theater where you could waste your money in a lot of games.  There was a National Book Store at the Araneta Coliseum, and beside Cinema 21 there was Alemars which always had a "Buy One, Take One" section. But I don't agree that Cubao was the place to go during the 70s.  I still believe it was Harrison Plaza.  Kahit malayo.  I used to take the Love Bus, which at the time used to park beside Coronet Theater, near the off-fronton jai alai betting station, straight to Harrison Plaza.  It was at Harrison Plaza that I watched "Star Wars" in its first release.  The place also had the first Bump Car area, and even a racing oval outside.

Speaking of that off-fronton betting station beside Coronet theater, there were always so many people there, even before the place opened.  At walang pila-pila.  You had to manage somehow to get your bet to the people inside.  I lost so much money betting there, although I did win once but not in the special llave.  Jai alai was really big during the 70s.  I remember there was even a one-on-one series between Oyarzabal and Manu, who were then generally acknowledged as the best.

Nauubos pera namin noon sa bump car. Bili kami ng maraming ticket para matagal sa loob kasi mahabang pila. Masarap magbumpcar kapag chicks katabi mo. :evil:

So it's really gone.  I thought that certain groups had succeeded in blocking the demolition.  What a waste of great architecture.

A lot of what we knew back in the 70s are gone.  The theaters along Recto and Avenida seem to be gone as well.  The theaters in Cubao, particularly along Aurora Blvd., have become hellholes. With the exception of the theaters at Ali Mall (which have bad sound systems), most theaters in Cubao have resorted to showing R- or X-rated films just to draw people in.  Remember how, in the 1970s, Remar was one of the best in Metro Manila?  The largest theater in Cubao was Coronet, which had a really spacious Orchestra section.  It has now followed the lead of Alta and Diamond in its offerings. 

There's a lot of reinvention (not just renovation) going on in Cubao these days, but it's on the Araneta side (e.g. Gateway Mall), where it's beginning to look a lot like Makati.  But on the other side of Aurora Blvd., it's decadent.  I won't call it moribund, because with all the clubs there (hehehe, I go there, too, now and again, when I have the cash; sorry, I'm evil), there's still a lot of business going on.

How about New Frontier Cinema? Buhay pa ba? Ang tagal ko na ring hindi napunta ng Cubao.

How about New Frontier Cinema? Buhay pa ba? Ang tagal ko na ring hindi napunta ng Cubao.

Matagal nang wala. Doon pa naman madalas mag-premiere ang mga Filipino films noong araw. For years, naging tianggehan yung lobby, pero ngayon sarado na. Ibang nagsara na: Act, Ocean, Quezon II. Yung Quezon I, bulok na bulok ang dating. Bukas pa yung Sampaguita. Matagal na rin nagsara ang Cinema 21. Yung Coronet, matagal nagsara (renovation daw), pero bukas na uli. Pero yung Coronet, Remar at Diamond, e parang Alta na ang dating. Sa Cubao ngayon, sa Ali Mall na lang talaga ang maganda ng konte. Kaya tuloy yung mga tao, kung gustong manood ng magandang cine, lalo na kung may kasamang bata, doon na lang sa Sta. Lucia at Robinson's sa Marcos Highway.

Noong araw kasi, kapag sinabi "For adults only," ibig sabihin "For adults only" talaga.

natatandaan ko nung araw sa amin sa Pasig, may tinatawag n "ala-berde". ito yung pagdating ng mga 9 ng gabi pwede ka nang pumasok sa sinehan sa amin ng libre...madalas naming gawin ito ng barkada...tambay muna sa kanto tapos pasok sa sine ng 9 :P

May mga bold kasi dun sa Godfather kaya gusto naming mapanuod - eh wala pang mga video nun kaya ang tagal naming hihintayin pa yun sa TV :P

Ang tagal talaga bago ipinalabas ang "The Godfather" sa TV. I understand that the US producers had to do some editing so that it would conform to the standards of free TV. Of course, there was that breast scene between Michael and Appolonia on their wedding night. But the really big difference, I believe, was that scene when Santino (James Caan) was riddled with bullets at the toll booth. That remains one of the most unforgettable scenes of the film. The TV version toned that down.

Buti na lang napanood ko na sa Beta bago ipinalabas sa RPN.

I know...the authorities don't seem keen on preserving old structures that have historical significance. La na kasi si Ma'am ("...the true, the good and the beautiful..."), heh, heh! Another building that has seen better days is the Metropolitan Theater at Plaza Lawton.

When I was in high school, all the R-rated films were shown at Alta. I like the word decadent! Actually, I like going to seedy places, if only to observe the people and the action. One of them is Marlon's on P Tuason near Edsa, which was really a hole-in-the-wall before. But I saw it last month and it seems to be bigger now. There is also another one on a side street on Aurora between Remar and Alta...can't recall the name now...last visited the place in 2000...the girls here really spread their legs on an elevated stage that has iron bars!

Anybody know whatever happened to Club Dredd on Edsa? Booze was cheap and the bands were good...saw the Dawn, Put3ska, etc. here. I considered the place the successor of Red Rocks, a great place near Timog where one could listen to rock back in the late 70s to early 80s.

I know...the authorities don't seem keen on preserving old structures that have historical significance. La na kasi si Ma'am ("...the true, the good and the beautiful..."), heh, heh! Another building that has seen better days is the Metropolitan Theater at Plaza Lawton.

When I was in high school, all the R-rated films were shown at Alta. I like the word decadent! Actually, I like going to seedy places, if only to observe the people and the action. One of them is Marlon's on P Tuason near Edsa, which was really a hole-in-the-wall before. But I saw it last month and it seems to be bigger now. There is also another one on a side street on Aurora between Remar and Alta...can't recall the name now...last visited the place in 2000...the girls here really spread their legs on an elevated stage that has iron bars!

Anybody know whatever happened to Club Dredd on Edsa? Booze was cheap and the bands were good...saw the Dawn, Put3ska, etc. here. I considered the place the successor of Red Rocks, a great place near Timog where one could listen to rock back in the late 70s to early 80s.

Nakupo, pareng sbm. I don't think you've been to Cubao for many years. Next time you're in our beloved PI, you might want to visit Cubao at night, especially those streets near Aurora Blvd. It's a real red light district where you'll even see foreigners in many of the establishments. There are so many clubs there that there's even a poll in one southern thread on which is the best. Minsan mag-EB tayo sa isang club doon. O kaya sumama tayo sa mga Howlers. :evil: :evil:

I believe Club Dredd has closed. And the Met? Doon dati yung variety show ni Vilma Santos. I heard the ventillation is terrible. At least it's still around. I think.

Nakupo, pareng sbm.  I don't think you've been to Cubao for many years.  Next time you're in our beloved PI, you might want to visit Cubao at night, especially those streets near Aurora Blvd. It's a real red light district where you'll even see foreigners in many of the establishments.  There are so many clubs there that there's even a poll in one southern thread on which is the best.  Minsan mag-EB tayo sa isang club doon.  O kaya sumama tayo sa mga Howlers.  :evil:  :evil:

I believe Club Dredd has closed.  And the Met?  Doon dati yung variety show ni Vilma Santos.  I heard the ventillation is terrible.  At least it's still around.  I think.

Yes, you are right. Been out of PI for 4 years. Actually, I met bods and storm last month during a short visit. That idea of an EB at one of the clubs sounds good. Sige, pag natuloy ako sa Feb, let's do it

natatandaan ko nung araw sa amin sa Pasig, may tinatawag n "ala-berde". ito yung pagdating ng mga 9 ng gabi pwede ka nang pumasok sa sinehan sa amin ng libre...madalas naming gawin ito ng barkada...tambay muna sa kanto tapos pasok sa sine ng 9 :P

May mga bold kasi dun sa Godfather kaya gusto naming mapanuod - eh wala pang mga video nun kaya ang tagal naming hihintayin pa yun sa TV :P

Nadinig ko na yung term na ala berde. Taga SanMateo Rizal kasi ako, and I encounter that term. Gamit yan pag last na sandok na sa Goto or Palamig. Usually it denotes free of charge. Hehe, gamit din pala sa Pasig ang term na yan for "Free Entrance"

It's been so many years since I last set foot in Cubao that I have no idea what it looks like now. Back in high school Ali Mall was the place to go for occasional truants like me. ;) The moviehouses then were way above in quality relative to the mostly seedy ones in Manila.

I've been reading about the Aranetas having a grand redevelopment plan for Cubao and parts of this are already underway. Does anybody here know the details?

It's been so many years since I last set foot in Cubao that I have no idea what it looks like now.  Back in high school Ali Mall was the place to go for occasional truants like me.  ;)  The moviehouses then were way above in quality relative to the mostly seedy ones in Manila.

I've been reading about the Aranetas having a grand redevelopment plan for Cubao and parts of this are already underway.  Does anybody here know the details?

Pareng java, Cubao is really being reinvented at the Araneta side. Example lang yung Gateway Mall with the LRT Purple Line station. It's beginning to look a lot like Makati. But that's at the Araneta side of Aurora Blvd. At the other side of Aurora, there are the clubs and the theaters showing skin flicks. That side probably looks a lot like Ermita and Malate during the 70s. You want skin, you got it.

Nadinig ko na yung term na ala berde. Taga SanMateo Rizal kasi ako, and I encounter that term. Gamit yan pag last na sandok na sa Goto or Palamig. Usually it denotes free of charge. Hehe, gamit din pala sa Pasig ang term na yan for "Free Entrance"

pards hindi ko alam na gamit yan sa pagkain...

pero guys don't you notice wala na ngayong mga sinehan sa mga towns...dati nun sa Pasig may 4 na sinehan some of which were showing first-run movies kasabayan ng sa Maynila...double feature pa yung iba kaya sawa ka sa sine :P

Ang tagal talaga bago ipinalabas ang "The Godfather" sa TV.  I understand that the US producers had to do some editing so that it would conform to the standards of free TV.  Of course, there was that breast scene between Michael and Appolonia on their wedding night.  But the really big difference, I believe, was that scene when Santino (James Caan) was riddled with bullets at the toll booth.  That remains one of the most unforgettable scenes of the film.  The TV version toned that down.

Buti na lang napanood ko na sa Beta bago ipinalabas sa RPN.

the scene that remains most vivid to me from that movie is the scene where a Mafia honcho wakes up with a severed horse's head beside him in bed :blink:

Nakupo, pareng sbm.  I don't think you've been to Cubao for many years.  Next time you're in our beloved PI, you might want to visit Cubao at night, especially those streets near Aurora Blvd. It's a real red light district where you'll even see foreigners in many of the establishments.  There are so many clubs there that there's even a poll in one southern thread on which is the best.  Minsan mag-EB tayo sa isang club doon.  O kaya sumama tayo sa mga Howlers.  :evil:  :evil:

I believe Club Dredd has closed.  And the Met?  Doon dati yung variety show ni Vilma Santos.  I heard the ventillation is terrible.  At least it's still around.  I think.

pards hindi ba nakakatakot pumunta dyan sa mga sidestreets na yan pag gabi? saka safe ba ang parking :P Ang tagal ko na ding hindi napapasyal dyan...

Yes, you are right. Been out of PI for 4 years. Actually, I met bods and storm last month during a short visit. That idea of an EB at one of the clubs sounds good. Sige, pag natuloy ako sa Feb, let's do it

pards January pa din ngayon - we just met this month - baka iba nakatagpo mo last month :P :P

Anyway it would be nice to see you again if you're here next month!

Cheers! Let's light up those Montecristos again :P

pards hindi ba nakakatakot pumunta dyan sa mga sidestreets na yan pag gabi? saka safe ba ang parking :P  Ang tagal ko na ding hindi napapasyal dyan...

Hehe, pareng Bods, that's the irony of it. It's actually safer on the seedy side because these clubs have security people who'll look after your car or whatever. At the Araneta side, the security people are spread too thin.