Back To The 70's

Bokassa was the dictator of the Central African Republic. Muzorewa was the first prime minister of Zimbabwe, and was succeeded by Mugabe who today is one of the last remaining dictators of Africa. Kumusta, pare? hope to see you in the EB being planned by Storm. Others in the list should include Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), Trujillo (Dominican Republic).

Notice that South America has gone full circle? In the 70s, it was ruled by leftists before they were all overthrown by rightists (e.g Allended/Pinochet in Chile). Today, most of Latin America is governed by left of center politicians (Chavez in Venezuela, Lula in Brazil, Bachelet in Chile, Morales in Bolivia, to name a few). They will inherit the soon-to-be-vacated throne of El Commandante in Cuba.

Byt the way, those are nice pix of the 60s, although some have been previously posted.

yes, I'm just an sms away, pare. See you.

MUgabe still rules a corruption-laden Zimbabwe - actually most of Africa is, which accounts for the poor development of the region despite all those aid from the West.

I forgot there was also Alfredo Stroessner, who ruled Paraguay with an iron fist for 30 years.

Who was that Panamanian leader who was spirited out by American forces in the 80's? Noriega I think it was....

yes who can forget the Generalissimo, the El Caudillo Franco? It was during his brutal regime that the Basque separatists ETA came to full bloom...It's weird to have a dictator in the western world but it was during Franco's time that Spain was mostly shunned by the other developed nations...

Pinochet's favorite method of disposing of political opponents was throwing them out of airborne planes...

How those America love to hate:

Khadaffi - Still crazy after all these years. Billy Joel's song apply to this guy. Reagan tried to k*ll him but in vain.

El Komandante - Fidel Castro of the infamous missile crisis

Arafat is gone, hero or terrorist depending on which side you are on (Arab or Israel) and so is our recent villain Saddam.

At the east side of the Berlin wall we have President Nicolai Caucescu of Romania and Erich Honecker of East Germany.

medyo nag-mellow na yata si Khadafy ngayon :D

Ceausescu met a brutal end when his communist government collapsed. Katsokaran ni Macoy yan dati - he even made a grand state visit here..Speaking of the former communist Eastern bloc, Enver Hoxha ruled Albania for such a long time and made the country so poor that even now with the end of communism, Albania remains the poorest country in Europe.

I will just add the evil Pol Pot of Cambodia who engineered the killing of millions of his countrymen. Transformed many areas of Cambodia into "Killing Fields". :angry:

Mao Tse-Tung (or Mao Zedong), who through his "Cultural Revolution" in the 60s and early 70s, had killed and/or imprisoned millions of his countrymen who were unlucky enough to be considered part of the "educated" or "cultured" elites. Tried to erase thousands of years of Chinese culture by replacing it with a Communist-oriented one. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Nung 70s, squatters area na ito corner Espana Ext. & Araneta Ave.

Recently, mukhang may expansion na naman...notice the banner. :P

Sino developer nito, Ayala ba o Megaworld? :P

Para hindi OT, squatting became a problem in Manila after the devastation wrought by World War 2. The squatters' presence grew over the next few decades as successive administrations tried and failed to reduce the poverty levels in the country. They grew to the point that Imeldific tried to hide them behind whitewashed walls and away from foreigners' eyes in the 70s through her "Beautification" campaign. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Sino developer nito, Ayala ba o Megaworld? :P

Para hindi OT, squatting became a problem in Manila after the devastation wrought by World War 2. The squatters' presence grew over the next few decades as successive administrations tried and failed to reduce the poverty levels in the country. They grew to the point that Imeldific tried to hide them behind whitewashed walls and away from foreigners' eyes in the 70s through her "Beautification" campaign. :thumbsdownsmiley:

That was the time when the MS. UNIVERSE PAGEANT was held in the Phils. The squatter areas in Intramuros, Highway 54 (now EDSA), Tondo, Dagat-dagatan, Smokey Mountain, and Tramo dotted Metro Manila in those years. Intramuros and parts of Smokey Mountain are now practically cleaned-up, but the rest still remain eye sores to this day. :cry:

Ok Bods, waiting for Storm's text on our EB sked. Looks like next week na. Actually, Intramuros still teems with squatters. Sayang, this part of Manila could have been cleaned up and made into walk-through tourist destination. There's so much history steeped here. What I really miss is the old Countrybake Shop and the drive-in A&W resto on UN Avenue. I recently walked along Mabini, where the first Dulconea was established, and M.H del Pilar checking out the antique and curio shops and was disappointed that many houses and old apartments have either been demolished or are in dire need of repairs. The old Hotel Otani on T.M Kalaw looks like it has been gutted.

Ok Bods, waiting for Storm's text on our EB sked. Looks like next week na. Actually, Intramuros still teems with squatters. Sayang, this part of Manila could have been cleaned up and made into walk-through tourist destination. There's so much history steeped here. What I really miss is the old Countrybake Shop and the drive-in A&W resto on UN Avenue. I recently walked along Mabini, where the first Dulconea was established, and M.H del Pilar checking out the antique and curio shops and was disappointed that many houses and old apartments have either been demolished or are in dire need of repairs. The old Hotel Otani on T.M Kalaw looks like it has been gutted.

My parents' wedding cake came from Countrybake Shop. Unfortunately, I never got to visit that place when it was still around. :(

I also remember the Hotel Otani from back in the 70s when we used to frequent the Luneta. I remember that there was a plaque by its main entrance marking the fact that Rizal stayed in the hotel either in the late 1880s or early 1890s. It's unfortunate that heritage conservation ranks low in the government's priorities. :( I won't be surprised if this hotel gets demolished soon and be lost to us forever.

It seems culture is no longer a priority. Then again, poverty prevails and that's probably why. At least when Imelda was still in power, she would gladly look after the heritage of Manila. Going back to my recent jaunt in Manila, I think the bay area has become too commercialized for its own good. Miss the days back in the early 70s when my dad woud take us strolling along Roxas early morning. Then, we'd go for a ride on board the Matorco (remember this double decker bus?). Afterwards, lunch at the Sheraton, which became the Hyatt, and which now seems to be closed. Breakfast the old old Army & Navy Club was also something to look forward too.

I will just add the evil Pol Pot of Cambodia who engineered the killing of millions of his countrymen. Transformed many areas of Cambodia into "Killing Fields". :angry:

Mao Tse-Tung (or Mao Zedong), who through his "Cultural Revolution" in the 60s and early 70s, had killed and/or imprisoned millions of his countrymen who were unlucky enough to be considered part of the "educated" or "cultured" elites. Tried to erase thousands of years of Chinese culture by replacing it with a Communist-oriented one. :thumbsdownsmiley:

like here in the Philippines, justice is slow there in Cambodia. Has anybody ever been prosecuted there for the killing fields, if so, has anybody ever served time? Ang huling balita ko namatay na lang yung ibang accused, like Ta Mok.

Dito naman most communist/leftist figures of yesteryears have managed to return to the mainstream, like Kumader Dante, Nilo Tayag, Gary Olivar, etc. The true diehards like Sison and others have fled abroad..

like here in the Philippines, justice is slow there in Cambodia. Has anybody ever been prosecuted there for the killing fields, if so, has anybody ever served time? Ang huling balita ko namatay na lang yung ibang accused, like Ta Mok.

Dito naman most communist/leftist figures of yesteryears have managed to return to the mainstream, like Kumader Dante, Nilo Tayag, Gary Olivar, etc. The true diehards like Sison and others have fled abroad..

One of the diehard student leader of the 70s was Edgar Jopson son of the owner of that famous grocery in Sampaloc Jopson Supermarket. He went underground and was murdered by military agents in 1982.

Naging serious ang ating 70s discussion so let's take a brief 70s music break courtesy of the following:

KC & The Sunshine Band - "Get Down Tonight" (1975):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6uXLkAJlc

Heatwave - "Boogie Nights" (1976):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLg-_LO6duM

Player - "Baby Come Back" (1977):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUadzVa0fc

Enjoy! :)

Edited by willow_boy
One of the diehard student leader of the 70s was Edgar Jopson son of the owner of that famous grocery in Sampaloc Jopson Supermarket. He went underground and was murdered by military agents in 1982.

sa kanila pala yun?

I vividly remember that - part of my youth yang Jopson's Supermarket as we stayed in the Sampaloc area in the mid-60's.

I wonder if it's still there....

Padaan lang. Nasirang ISP ko tapos went to Baguio nang balikan. Parusa sa driving.

I really missed the Baguio of the 70s. Very congested na ngayon. John Hay na lang ang amoy Baguio. :(

For nostalgia, we had lunch at Star Cafe along Session Road then bought strawberries, Romana's peanut brittle, brocolli, cauliflower, basil, sayote tips, and other Baguio vegetables para makabawi. :thumbsupsmiley:

Passed by John Hay and had merienda at the Filling Station. Pwede na rin pero it was a lot better in the past.

I was a junior bowler in the 70s and the Landmark area was where the old Coronado lanes was located. We loved the pastries and the bolognese in swiss inn then.

Padaan lang. Nasirang ISP ko tapos went to Baguio nang balikan. Parusa sa driving.

I really missed the Baguio of the 70s. Very congested na ngayon. John Hay na lang ang amoy Baguio. :(

For nostalgia, we had lunch at Star Cafe along Session Road then bought strawberries, Romana's peanut brittle, brocolli, cauliflower, basil, sayote tips, and other Baguio vegetables para makabawi. :thumbsupsmiley:

Passed by John Hay and had merienda at the Filling Station. Pwede na rin pero it was a lot better in the past.

I was a junior bowler in the 70s and the Landmark area was where the old Coronado lanes was located. We loved the pastries and the bolognese in swiss inn then.

Would you know the best hotel to stay there this summer? Buhay pa kaya ang INN ROCIO? --which i was told was owned by

the grand old man of the 70s Opposition, Don Chino Roces.

Would you know the best hotel to stay there this summer? Buhay pa kaya ang INN ROCIO? --which i was told was owned by

the grand old man of the 70s Opposition, Don Chino Roces.

No idea bro. The good ones are Elizabeth Place, The Manor in Camp John Hay and Baguio Country Club.

In the 70s marami like Pines Hotel, Hyatt Terraces, Hotel Nevada, Baguio Park ---- they all collapsed during the big earthquake that shook Luzon in July of 1990.

Edited by storm
No idea bro. The good ones are Elizabeth Place, The Manor in Camp John Hay and Baguio Country Club.

In the 70s marami like Pines Hotel, Hyatt Terraces, Hotel Nevada, Baguio Park ---- they all collapsed during the big earthquake that shook Luzon in July of 1990.

Copy that. Thanks!

Re Nevada Hotel...beside this hotel was "Mothers'" a small eatery but very popular among locals and balikbayans for serving dinuguan and grilled chicken. :)

Copy that. Thanks!

Re Nevada Hotel...beside this hotel was "Mothers'" a small eatery but very popular among locals and balikbayans for serving dinuguan and grilled chicken. :)

Indeed, the fried chicken at Mothers was great and cheap. Check out Vacation Hotel on Leonard Wood Road. Might be in Baguio weekend of March 9-11. Really miss the place.

Indeed, the fried chicken at Mothers was great and cheap. Check out Vacation Hotel on Leonard Wood Road. Might be in Baguio weekend of March 9-11. Really miss the place.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Your handle reminds of the R & B hit songs Mustang Sally (by Wilson Pickett) and Long Tall Sally (by the Beatles). :cool: