What's The Last Book You've Read?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny how reading great, memorable books can be both rewarding and problematic. On the one hand, it gives you a different sort of stimuli unlike any other and, in the process, raises your standards of what a superior book is like versus a mediocre or hyped-up one. On the other hand, it raises your standards so much that any other book might fail to satisfy you, and thus you miss out on what could be a great read in its own way.

The same trap almost happened to me a week ago in a bookstore, when I almost ignored a book I should have read a long time ago: Lord Foul's Bane, Book One in the trilogy The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Why did I almost not pick it up? Well, for one thing, the cover was predominated by an illustration of a gold ring, and it was first published in the '70s, and it is a fantasy book. It was easy to dismiss it as just another Tolkien copycat.

But, boy, was I wrong. I would include this in my list of some of the most original fantasy books ever written. It's an old book, yes, but originality will always stay fresh no matter where or what form you find it in.

The story centers around a writer who suddenly found himself afflicted with leprosy and who... Nope. I won't tell you more than what I just wrote because it's part of the story. One little caveat, though. The main protagonist is the most unlikely 'hero' to make a story around for.

Edited by Lord Superb