What's The Last Book You've Read?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss.

220px-TheSlowRegardOfSlientThingsCover.j

This is a novella centering around the character Auri from the Kingkiller Chronicle series which I already did a review about. Once again, the author's masterful prose transported me to the lead character's mind and world.

I've been having a fantasy fix lately, so here's another one that pleasantly took my time, Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, just book one out of a whopping ten in the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series. (Geez, where can I find all volumes?)

817CteSzxqL.jpg

Be forewarned, though. This may be a hard book to follow for some, if not most people, as it does not take you by the hand and tell you what's happening. It's as if you suddenly woke up and found yourself in the Malazan world and you just have to figure out everything for yourself. But, boy, once you pick up the threads on your own and see the big picture, you'll find yourself admiring the sheer ambition, vision, and creativity of the author. It's one of those books, in fact, which you could undoubtedly call a non-Tolkien wannabe.

And, oh, one of the characters, Anomander Rake, is so badass that he will make LOTR's Sauron and GOT's Night's King look like the cute, funny, little Minions of Felonius Gru.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. It's a 60-year old classic that carries a relevant theme and asks relevant questions even during this millenial age. I shouln't have enjoyed it, being my kid's homework reading, but guiltily I did. I chose a good school :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

The book is divided into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose. Deals with a different pain. Heals a different heartache. Milk and Honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.

Edited by Olive&Dust
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...