Dog Lovers Thread

mr_7thsign

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMHO, dog training should be done by the owner. Earning your dog's trust and companionship is the best reward in training your own dog. I have two rotties and I learned to train them from books, other trainers and videos, but I had never had them trained by a professional trainer. I wanted to personally train them, and I studied how to because I didn't want the chance to destroy their temperaments because of a novice mistake, specially in giving corrections. I painstakingly downloaded every dog training material I can find only, bought every rott book I can get my hands on, and had watched and read the leerburg series over and over again. I still have a complete list of his PDF files before about training, and I had learned a lot from them. Researching gives balance in training. Some look at training as nothing more than dominance and leadership, while there are others who uses pure positive reinforcements. Learning to balance this is the key to training any dog.

True. Once you've established yourself as their alpha, the next steps to training your dog will come easy. I have rotts, a dobe, and two vicious pit bulls. They get along fine among themselves, but only among themselves as I prefer it this way. I don't want them to be too friendly because I need them to guard my place. I don't want to totally take away their aggressiveness and territorial instincts. On the other hand, dogs are really smart. They know visitors from intruders. My dogs can get really aggressive and also very affectionate to friends and visitors. But of course, they have to be trained for this and it requires a lot of exposure to different situations. The training would have to come from somebody they respect and fear. . .The owner himself.

• 1 month later...