Laptop/Notebook Owners

i see sir.. but would any laptops available here be able to match or even just come close with the specs that you've mentioned?

ASUS is another brand that I recommend (because they manufacture their own products) and has availability and service in the PH.

Check these out from the ASUS PH website:

http://www.asus.com/ph/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G56JR/specifications/

http://www.asus.com/ph/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JS/specifications/

I also recommend spending a day or half day in Gilmore to shop around.

is sager available here?

There's helix.com.ph but their site is down.

I order mine from the US. Sager(their US brand)/Clevo is Taiwan-based so you could try to find a link there.

OLX listings have a few second-hand Sagers/Clevos if you're interested.

Asus have a model that have dual video cards, i saw one when i was in SG, but not available here in PH

Yes, but I don't recommend that unless you game with your aircon on all the time. The ambient temperature for dual video-cards for laptops is a bit too much (especially during the March to May months) even for temps in SG.

Plus, you don't really need dual video cards to be on Ultra settings for games. Most laptops (even gaming ones) still come with HDDs. Just swap the HDD with an SSD and the performance is world's apart - less energy consumption (meaning better battery performance) and less heat (because no mechanical parts - meaning lower overall system temperature). I still keep my previous Sager and it still plays ACIV:BF, GTA IV, WatchDogs on Ultra settings. Just swaped the HDDs with SSDs.

What I do is I only install at most three games on my system and just install/uninstall when needed - the installation/uninstallation time is much faster anyway.

And if you're going to spend as much on a gaming laptop with dual video cards, might as well get a gaming desktop instead as an alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am technically challenged and in the market for a new notebook. I do not have very high processing speed requirements. I do not edit videos or RAW files, play demanding 3D games, or write computer code. I am a simple freelance writer so all I really need is something that is a joy to type on (and by that I mean a keyboard that wont cause any cramping or fatigue even after 10,000 words), loads fast, and has a display resolution of at least 1366 x 768. Anything that weighs less than 3.5 lbs would be ideal.

Budget is 20,000 to 25,000. I would appreciate your advice/suggestions.

Thank you sirs/madams.

Hello! I am technically challenged and in the market for a new notebook. I do not have very high processing speed requirements. I do not edit videos or RAW files, play demanding 3D games, or write computer code. I am a simple freelance writer so all I really need is something that is a joy to type on (and by that I mean a keyboard that wont cause any cramping or fatigue even after 10,000 words), loads fast, and has a display resolution of at least 1366 x 768. Anything that weighs less than 3.5 lbs would be ideal.

Budget is 20,000 to 25,000. I would appreciate your advice/suggestions.

Thank you sirs/madams.

Hi, for your needs, I recommend laptops that are have at least 14" screen size and that have "chiclet-type" keys.

If you have 25k, buy the laptops priced at 20k then spend 4k to 5k on an SSD.

As for the laptops - these are available in the PH market now:

1.) Asus

Asus X451CA-VX036H Win8 19k

Asus X451MAV-VX109H Black Win8.1 20k

2.) Dell

Dell Inspiron 14 3421-1007U Win8 20k

3.) HP

HP 14-D019AU 18k

Shop around and if possible pay in cash to get a "discount". Some shops offer bonuses like a free USB flash drive or free soft case.

Also I highly recommend that you buy an SSD (Transcend 120GB should do fine - Php4,000) and have it installed by the service technician where you'll buy your laptop. (You'll have to install your OS [Windows] separately though). Some (Transcend) SSDs have software that can "clone" your current system so that when you replace your drive, your previous system software would be exactly the same.

https://www.youtube....h?v=MlRSlMrw9uw

The videos below should enlighten you on the benefits of having an SSD (Solid State Drive) as opposed to an HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

Edited by jasper.lynch80

For me you can buy also neo elan gaming laptops...

bukod sa rebranded ung lappy nato madali pang buksan incase of replacement sa mga parts or cleaning lang...

Nag improve na ung neo brand dahil kumuha na sila sa mga okay na oem manufacture indi tulad dati hehe....

All gaming laptops are built so that you have easier access to storage drives, the processor, RAM and for some units, the video card - to maintain or upgrade said parts. My only beef with Neo Elan is inferior product support and service compared to ASUS or MSI.

Edited by jasper.lynch80

Got the ThinkPad T440s with 4th Generation Intel (Haswell) processor.

The keyboard works very well. The keys are damped so they are not as clacky and annoying as other keyboards. Tactile feedback as well as key travel are also excellent. As expected, since it is a Haswell, it is more power efficient compared to Ivy Bridge powered notebooks. The battery lasts about 9 hours with moderate use (playing HD videos, browsing web pages, and using Word and Excel, with WIFi and Bluetooth on)

The FHD screen resolution is more than adequate. Although this may only be because my previous PC had an abysmal resolution of 1280 by 640.

I did try to drop it from a height of 5 feet to test its magnesium alloy roll cage and it turned out just fine.

The only disappointing part is the audio. The speakers produce a rather tinny sound, which can be annoying when watching movies or TV series.

Overall, it is a solid piece of machine with adequate memory, processing power, and storage. Then again, I do not have high demands in computing or processing so I can't say this unit would fit the needs of programmers or image professionals (photo/video editors)

Thanks for you input Jasper.Lynch80 and bluechristian28.

Got a Toshiba Satellite m840.

Ang ayaw ko lang sa kanya, hindi kasing linaw ng mga MacBook/ Samsung screens. Resolution niya 1366by768 lang pero okay na yun.

May sariling Video Card siya na AMD Radeon HD7670M. Kulang din yung stock sa RAM so pinalitan ko yung 2GB ng 8GB. After palitan, kaya na niya most games. Dito ako nakaka Diablo3, Starcraft2, etc. Battery life umaabot naman ng 3 hours na walang saksakan.

Overall, ayos lang for 30k total for laptop and ram.

The keyboard works very well. The keys are damped so they are not as clacky and annoying as other keyboards. Tactile feedback as well as key travel are also excellent. As expected, since it is a Haswell, it is more power efficient compared to Ivy Bridge powered notebooks. The battery lasts about 9 hours with moderate use (playing HD videos, browsing web pages, and using Word and Excel, with WIFi and Bluetooth on)

The FHD screen resolution is more than adequate. Although this may only be because my previous PC had an abysmal resolution of 1280 by 640.

I did try to drop it from a height of 5 feet to test its magnesium alloy roll cage and it turned out just fine.

The only disappointing part is the audio. The speakers produce a rather tinny sound, which can be annoying when watching movies or TV series.

Overall, it is a solid piece of machine with adequate memory, processing power, and storage. Then again, I do not have high demands in computing or processing so I can't say this unit would fit the needs of programmers or image professionals (photo/video editors)

You intentionally dropped it? Wow. You must be filthy rich. ;)

Glad to have helped :)

All laptops have bad audio - even those that "emulate" DOLBY or similar branding. I recommend Altec Lansing desktop speakers for great sound, reliability and value for money.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

MSI Wind u100 netbook

*First gen Intel Atom processor

*Changed RAM quite a few times

*Upgraded RAM to 1.5GB (hard to find its kind of ram and ram speed these days)

*Battery's not charging anymore but still works if plugged directly to AC

*Plastic casing has some scratches already but doesn't look too bad

I'm using it for surfing the net, improvised htpc; backup computer

I think it's coming up to its fourth year usage hehe still alive and kicking with Windows 7 Pro 32Bit

Now becoming a fan of MSI and ASUS brand products for their durability and reliability

By the way, this fella has been my companion through my studies in IT and I shall honor it by not replacing it by anything else until it retires itself o7

:)

Edited by philnightlife

Acer Aspire ONE 533 netbook. I think I bought it in 2010 via Amazon.

Still good for web surfing, emails, torrent, anything light duty. Forget about games, fortunately, I'm no gamer. However, it has difficulty even with basic photo corrections.

the original battery still lasts for 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Asus G72 - bought 2nd hand at BestBuy (Year 2010)

Nice gaming laptop/big screen! Video card broke down after a year thank goodness Asus Vmall was able to source a replacement

So far so good but will need to replace it soon

You should change the thermal paste (and use a good one) around every six to eight months to get the best out of your gaming video card.

Any feedback on the new Asus G550JK Republic of Gamers (ROG)gaming notebook? Was thinking of exploring gaming.

This is a good rig - if you can afford it. The unit that you want to buy will depend on what kind of games you want to play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^any make and model of a computer is ok depending on what you're going to use it for. Kung casual user ka na pang-documents at social media tapos pampanood, pwede na yung mga mumurahin na netbook lang or get those with cd-drives para may pang burn ka na rin.

Any computer can last a very long time basta well maintained, in fact, I still got my trusty old pentium 4 desktop at home still working since it was bought over 9 years ago.

But to answer your question na lang din, try to search online for reviews about the one you've chosen so you can have an idea about the performance and quality of it as well as to get an idea on alternative ones.