Laptop/Notebook Owners

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why are laptops with 12" screen more expensive than laptops with 14" screens?

15 inches is the standard size.

The smaller ones are made for portability. These are for people who want lighter and smaller units as they carry them around a lot. Since the manufacturers' goals are to make everything smaller without loss of performance or computing power, they have to figure out how to fit everything more inside smaller units. out diminishing quality.

making it smaller affects keyboard layouts, how the internal components are placed or laid out, so it means higher research costs, higher costs of components, etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sirs, i've been meaning to buy a laptop but i haven't been updated on what to get... what are the latest features of laptops nowadays? i'd be mainly using the laptop for MS office stuff but hopefully it would also allow me to run heavier programs like autocad... any suggestions on what laptop models can cater to this sirs?

Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A) with custom features:

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager Screen

- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4810MQ (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)

- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

- AMD® Radeon™ R9 M290X (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11

- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Dual Channel Memory

- RAID-0 Storage - (Stripe) Combines mSATAs for performance.

- 2x 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA SSD

- Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0

sirs, i've been meaning to buy a laptop but i haven't been updated on what to get... what are the latest features of laptops nowadays? i'd be mainly using the laptop for MS office stuff but hopefully it would also allow me to run heavier programs like autocad... any suggestions on what laptop models can cater to this sirs?

Depends on your budget really but if you require AutoCAD 2015, you might want to consider having these in your rig:

1.) Processor - Intel processors are the way to go (multi-core processors with SSE2 technology)

I recommend the Intel Haswell processor line (i5 or i7 depending on your budget)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-processor-family.html

This is the top of the line:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

2.) RAM - At least 8GB (recommended) to get the best possible performance for AutoCAD; (by default you should install a 64-bit OS to make use of the RAM)

3.) Main drive - I recommend that you get an SSD (solid state drive) with 120/128GB or 256GB capacity (which ever your budget allows you)

It's much faster than HDDs (hard disk drives). I recommend the Samsung 840 EVO series or if you have money to burn, the Samsung 840 PRO series.

If you're on a limited budget, I recommend getting AT LEAST a 72000rpm hard drive

or a hybrid drive like the Seagate 1TB SSHD.

4.) Blu-ray Drive or DVD-RW drive? Depends on what you need

5.) USB 3.0 Ports

6.) Wireless-N adapter

7.) A Bluetooth 4.0 adapter

Sorry, forgot about the video cards:

1.) If you're going to choose ATI

the current top of the line models are the R9, R7 and R5 series

you could also look for the previous (but still relevant) Radeon HD 8600M (and above) models

2.) Nvidia offer the latest GeForce GTX 800M series,

with the previous versions as GeForce GTX 700M series

thanks for the info sir jasper.. so basically i need a gaming laptop :)

Haha :D essentially yes - well, that's assuming you want to optimise your AutoCAD experience.

sir jasper, i'm gonna be using less of the AutoCAD's 3D aspect.. i usually use it for floor plans, building plans, etc.. FYI. Also, is Sager available here in the Philippines?

A lower spec video card should be okay, I suggest investing in a machine that can handle a lot of RAM (which is rare for laptops).

Although, if you use SSDs, 8GB RAM (DDR3 1333MHz) should be enough for the kind of work you need.

I'm not aware of any Sager suppliers here. I order mine from the US.

Sager/Clevo is a Taiwanese company - there might be a chance of a PC builder shop in the PH.