Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White 'probably' bringing The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) to the Philippines in 2011

"The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) is going to start airing in every country. We’re going to start doing 'Ultimate Fighter U.K.,' 'Ultimate Fighter Canada,' the 'Ultimate Fighter Philippines,' we’re doing it everywhere. We’re doing nothing but cultivating new talent. I’m pretty sure the first one’s probably going to be [this year in] the Philippines."

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/15/1995952/ufc-quick-quote-dana-white-probably-bringing-the-ultimate-fighter-tuf

it is a common knowledge that AS has a weak TDD defense.but looked wat he had done to them.submitting all of them..

we all know that Sonnen has a poor BJJ defense, but Hendo??? only been submitted 2x b4 the AS fight, both from the Nogs w/c are all bigger than him..

GSP has a 20%chance of winning the fight with Anderson..and that is by a boring decision only.and i doubt if he will accept that challenge.this would be like Pacquioa-Mayweather dream match that will never happen.he will make all the excuses not to fight AS..plus he need to pass Shields first..its his 1st tym dat he will fight a grappler like Jake..but i hope im wrong..so we could see the superfight between AS and GSP.

I think you're underestimating GSP way too much. 20 percent? really? Let me just remind you despite having submitted all his previous opponents who have managed to take him down more than anything the Sonnen fight exposed Anderson Silva. Styles make fights and GSP has the best takedowns in all of MMA. Getting Anderson down is already half of the puzzle. Stifling him and keeping him down will be the other half of it and given the fact that GSP has definitely a way way better BJJ pedigree compared to Sonnen (and the fact that he has already seen what had happened to Sonnen) he would definitely have a better chance of either grinding out a victory (it would still be a win nonetheless though 'boring' as some of you put it) or winning via GNP. IMO a grinder with a hard chin and excellent submission defense (e.g. Jon Fitch) can defeat Anderson Silva. One thing is for certain though a GSP gameplan against an Anderson Silva will involve taking him down. Styles make fights and I'm sure Greg Jackson

As for Shields with the kind of conditioning he showed against Kampmann I don't even think he belongs in the same octagon as GSP. Being a great grappler is one thing but being a great grappler in MMA is different. Being able to hang with a freak of an athlete such as GSP (who IMO is also the most physically gifted among all the fighters in the UFC) will be another thing Shields has to contend with. If you actually analyze logically if Shields can't take GSP down he has absolutely no chance of winning. And I simply do not see him being able to take GSP down.

We all admire Anderson Silva after the Belfort fight hands down he's proven he really is the best out there but lets not count out GSP if ever they do meet in the octagon. It'd be a heck of a fight.

hehe.. lets wait for the GSP-Shields fight first.. :blush: :blush: :blush:

IMO GSP needs to be tested first in MW b4 fighting AS..i doubt if he would pass Toquinho..

GSP can take Silva down, most likely, but to keep him there for long, not sure..

if GSP can improved his BJJ, he can win over Silva.since he is now training with Roger Gracie..

i am not a fan of Shields, but i thnk Jake can give AS trouble or Prime MW Matt Hughes..wrestling base with very good BJJ offense..

remember how AS was dominated and finally submitted by Takase? thats the kind of fighter to build to defeat AS..

but i really doubt that the superfight of AS-GSP will ever happen..1st GSP said that he needs time to gain weight for that.then he said that he is not sure in what weight it will takes place.he wants AS to drop down to 170, cause according to him, the Spider has fought in that category not long ago..but in reality,AS last fought as WW was on Jan. 2006..5 years ago..

thats how scared GSP is...

what's the height of Serra??? isn't GSP greased in the BJ fight?? those are the only fighters with legit BJJ that GSP has fought..GSP has all the advantage on those fights..unlike in the fight with AS. Silva is all limbs,there is a chance he can catch GSP for a submission.. and dont tell me GSP has a good BJJ defense..he was already submitted by Hughes

what's the height of Serra??? isn't GSP greased in the BJ fight?? those are the only fighters with legit BJJ that GSP has fought..GSP has all the advantage on those fights..unlike in the fight with AS. Silva is all limbs,there is a chance he can catch GSP for a submission.. and dont tell me GSP has a good BJJ defense..he was already submitted by Hughes

The GSP who got submitted by Hughes during their first fight and the current GSP are "miles and miles" apart believe me. Did you see the transitions he did on Hughes during their third and final fight? Experienced grapplers would tell you just how impressive all that was. Hip-throw to a mounted triangle to a kimura to an armbar to a belly down arm bar with a wrist lock before finally forcing Hughes to verbally tap.

The thing is long limbs are not that difficult to negate when fighting from within the guard especially if you have a strong posture and your 'wary' of the wrist control (that was Sonnen's ultimate downfall... getting comfy with Silva's wrist control. It was like a trap he was just awaiting to spring right at the very end when it seemed Sonnen was poised to win the fight). GSP's fight intellect is like that of a sponge and knowing him if ever they meet in the octagon he probably won't get submitted the same way. He won't get submitted at all period.

The thing to consider to is that the Anderson Silva who got beat by Takase is again 'miles and miles' apart from the current Anderson Silva. You can't just go in there and try to beat the guy with heart and reckless abandon (as so many of these Jap fighters do). You need somebody as physically and technically superior as GSP (together with the heart and experience he has gotten from his losses) to beat the current Anderson Silva.

Tsk I can't believe people are still giving 'credence' to GSP being greased in the BJ fight. Give it up people. Heck BJ didn't even complain during the fight. He got beat fair and square by a bigger,stronger and better fighter that night.

Shields is so freakin 'one dimensional' (not to mention has horrible conditioning) he'll only end up like Demian Meia IMO. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if you got such awful cardio.

Edited by geneticfreak

Great BJJ tournament just this past weekend at Megamall by the way... The Philippine International Open 2011.

Thanks to all the International Teams who competed alongside us. Checkmat BJJ Borneo, Team Evolve MMA Singapore, Ole 'Baguio' Larsen and the rest of Tiger MMA Muay Thai, Kylin BJJ Hongkong, Team Machado Korea heck we even had some people from Team Quest in the USA and from France and Dubai come and roll. Congrats to all the competitors and the winners.

The GSP who got submitted by Hughes during their first fight and the current GSP are "miles and miles" apart believe me. Did you see the transitions he did on Hughes during their third and final fight? Experienced grapplers would tell you just how impressive all that was. Hip-throw to a mounted triangle to a kimura to an armbar to a belly down arm bar with a wrist lock before finally forcing Hughes to verbally tap.

GSP was only submitted once... and yes, that transition he did on Hughes was very impressive...

The thing is long limbs are not that difficult to negate when fighting from within the guard especially if you have a strong posture and your 'wary' of the wrist control (that was Sonnen's ultimate downfall... getting comfy with Silva's wrist control. It was like a trap he was just awaiting to spring right at the very end when it seemed Sonnen was poised to win the fight). GSP's fight intellect is like that of a sponge and knowing him if ever they meet in the octagon he probably won't get submitted the same way. He won't get submitted at all period.

Yup he postures up and has pretty guard passing. Even if Serra is at 5'6, he is a Renzo Gracie black belt and pretty accomplished in BJJ ( ADCC finalist, CBJJ winner and Pan-ams winner)

BJ Penn is also the first non_brazilian to win at the CBJJ so being able to pass his guard means he has good BJJ skills...

He also Beat Mayhem Miller, another BJJ black belt early in his career...

The thing to consider to is that the Anderson Silva who got beat by Takase is again 'miles and miles' apart from the current Anderson Silva. You can't just go in there and try to beat the guy with heart and reckless abandon (as so many of these Jap fighters do). You need somebody as physically and technically superior as GSP (together with the heart and experience he has gotten from his losses) to beat the current Anderson Silva.

agreed. I honestly believe that someone with good wrestling and guard passing skills will give Silva a lot of trouble

Shields is so freakin 'one dimensional' (not to mention has horrible conditioning) he'll only end up like Demian Meia IMO. Doesn't matter how skilled you are if you got such awful cardio.

If Kampmann didn't choose to try and match Shields on the ground and kept it standing instead, he would have won... And yeah, Shields is one-dimensional, and if his cardio doesn't improve, he will definitely be pushed by GSP

Tsk I can't believe people are still giving 'credence' to GSP being greased in the BJ fight. Give it up people. Heck BJ didn't even complain during the fight. He got beat fair and square by a bigger,stronger and better fighter that night.

yep.. i do agree in some of ur views..

he did great in the final Matt Hughes fight. but that was the past prime Matt Hughes.so, that was somehow irrelevant..

but he also made mistakes in the submission attempts he made to Dan Hardy, thats why the Brit didnt tap.so, his BJJ isnt that great at all..

in the GSP-Penn II, its obvious that GSPs cornerman Phil Nurse applied substantial vaseline in the body and face of George, thats why Penn couldnt handle GSP.

in the GSP-Penn II, its obvious that GSPs cornerman Phil Nurse applied substantial vaseline in the body and face of George, thats why Penn couldnt handle GSP.

the whole greasegate issue all over again.. GSP took BJ consistently throughout the fight, I don't think that the Vaseline had anything to do with those takedowns.. And as for the Vaseline, Keith Kizer wiped down GSP off with the towel from the 2nd round onwards after seeing that..

everybody has their own take on this issue but after UFC94, I'm pretty sure that GSP proved this wrong by showing domination of his next opponents..

he did great in the final Matt Hughes fight. but that was the past prime Matt Hughes.so, that was somehow irrelevant..

but he also made mistakes in the submission attempts he made to Dan Hardy, thats why the Brit didnt tap.so, his BJJ isnt that great at all..

Matt Hughes? Past his prime? Again I gotta strongly disagree. You cannot choke out another renowned BJJ Blackbelt like Ricardo 'Big Dog' Almeida with a simple 'head and arm control' if you're already past your prime. The position's not even a submission hold for crying out loud it's just a form of wrestling control. He missed a lil detail with the arm bar during the Hardy fight (your supposed to point your knees in like a vise and not out when executing a arm bar from the mount) but every other aspect of his BJJ in that fight was tremendous as expected. BJJ is not all about submissions it's about takedowns, it's about sweeps, reversals, passing and all the lil details that make it the technical art that it is.

Yeah he didn't tap Hardy but that's just part of the game. There are some people who are so resilient you can't tap them. Hardy was probably also trying to save face by not tapping out and giving in but he knew for sure he was clearly 'owned' on the ground.

Great fighters find a way to win. With Hardy,Alves and BJ GSP used his wrestling and his passing. With Koscheck he used his striking. With the more recent fights with Hughes he capitalized on what was supposed to be a Hughes specialty 'wrestling' that's an indication to me of just how great his skill in this particular aspect of MMA has become.

The thing with the Shields fight is this. If Shields cannot bring the fight to the ground with him ending up on top he has absolutely no chance of winning (unless we see another 'freak' KO like what happened in the Serra fight though that's got such a miniscule chance of happening ever again). If he pulls guard to try and bring it on the ground he'll be in trouble. And I just do not see him being able to take GSP down. Even Josh Koscheck who IMO has the best wrestling in the entire welterweight division was only able to keep GSP down for a few minutes and just one time during their last fight.

Let us not forget that Travis Lutter nearly had Anderson Silva. He had him mounted during the first round. Had he not gone for that rather 'sloppy' arm bar I believe he could have won.

yup..i guess only Lutter was the only fighter that put AS in danger in UFC, cause he was the only who mounted Silva..and he is also the reason why AS record for most consecutive title defense is cut by 1.but, i doubt if he can still subbed AS if he made weight and not dehydrated on that fight... let's see if GSP can do the same to Silva. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We can always assume how GSP will fare against Silva...but still, he is yet to be tested in MW..

and the fact remains the same...GSP is afraid of Silva... :P :P :P

Good news to the brandon vera fans. i read somewhere that the ufc rescinded his release after thiago silva was tested positive for drug use. their fight was declared a 'no contest' and now vera is back on the ufc roster.

That is good news. I hope in his next match, he performs better than that embarrassing show againt Silva.

Kahit positive si Silva for drugs, Vera still fought terribly

There's already a move within the local MMA community to the BI to have Jbarri deported. And GAB I hear is planning to have his professional fighters license permanently revoked. IMO matagal na dapat ginawa to this is not the first time the guy has acted inappropriately. Even way before he got into MMA he had a somewhat well publicized street fight with the current President of the Wrestling Association of the Philippines and former national coach Albert Balde. Coach Albert suplexed and kicked Razzi's ass of course.

Good news to the brandon vera fans. i read somewhere that the ufc rescinded his release after thiago silva was tested positive for drug use. their fight was declared a 'no contest' and now vera is back on the ufc roster.

I don't think that this is good news at all.. In my opinion there is less than 10% of the current UFC LHW roster that he can beat.. Especially with his current streaks..

Barndon Vera on the ground is like a fish out of the water.. Simply put, he has no ground game.. Werdum, Jones, and Silva exposed that..

I mean, I'm proud of him kasi Pinoy sya and everything, pero it's a pain to watch him fight lately..