Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

my god, more bad news... it's not within the confines of the UFC, but it's still bad news for MMA as a whole..

MMA Fighter Vasquez In Critical Condition After KO Loss

After suffering a knockout loss in an MMA bout at two minutes, 50 seconds of the second round of a recent match against Vince Libardi, fighter Sammy Vasquez is in critical condition.

The following are some updates from Sammy's wife Sandra, posted on the TXMMA.com internet forum:

Good morning,

Sammy really needs your prayers. He is stable, but in very critical condition. As of today, he has been heavily sedated. They do not want him to have any activity, no movement of any kind. It seems his brain is swelling. They are monitoring him very closely. He is on the respirator and he’s keeping his blood pressure at a good range on his own. They have asked that we keep visitors to family only. The doctor said we need to pray for him. Please pray for Sammy and the family. I thank you for your prayers, love and support.

God Bless,

Sandra

And an updated post:

This is very difficult for me to write. Sammy had a massive stroke on Friday, the damage is very great. We have contacted LifeGift. Please keep us in your prayers.

St. Joseph Hospital the Pavilion

4th floor room 2

Love,

Sandra Vasquez

=================================

^^ for some reason, even though Sandra Vasquez's words meant that Sammy Vasquez won't make it, i'm still rooting for him to at least make it out alive. this is the worst thing that has ever happened to the sport, & i'm still hoping against all hope that Sandra is jumping the gun by calling an organ donor center on behalf of his husband.

Winner o GSP-Hughes faces Serra?

Matt has said on his blog that he will push this to become a fight for the interim title.

I'm guessing this is because Serra won't be able to defend his title.

seems to me that Matt wants to get the belt back and take advantage of the situation with an injured Serra, and an unprepared (hopefully not) GSP.

whatever happens, Canada Boy will take it, convincingly.

GSP has already shown that he can wrestle, outwrestling Josh Koscheck, and Matt has shown that he can't stand with GSP, nothing's going to change especially now that Matt's older and slower.

Edited by Larry

Just got news that an MMA event will take place on December 9 at the Araneta Coliseum. Saw it in a TV ad...

It is "Platinum Ring Of Fire" or something to that effect.

Team Shamrock, Team Gracie and team Barnett are said to be the teams with Jeff Monson and Ricco Rodriguez among those slated to appear...

Any idea what the hell is this?

mmaweekly article

A mixed martial arts promotion based out of Las Vegas is starting a new event using a team format with MMA legends as coaches. Platinum Fighting Productions has named its event Ring of Fire – not to be confused with the venerable MMA promotion of the same name based in Denver.

PFP announced Royce Gracie, Josh Barnett, Gokor Chivichyan and Ken Shamrock as its first four coaches. Its first event is Ring of Fire, Manila, scheduled to take place Dec. 9 at Araneta Stadium in the Philippines, the home of the historic Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier fight known as “The Thrilla in Manila.”

International Fight League commissioner Kurt Otto acknowledged Shamrock’s involvement and confirmed that he is still a coach for IFL as well.

Each team will battle in four events to be held in the Philippines, Macau, Japan and China; with the best two teams progressing to the Final Ring of Fire event slated for December 2008.

Team Gracie features Cleber Luciano, Jorge Patino, Daniel Serafian, John Marsh and Katrine Alendal. Team Barnett will field Koji Oishi, Yuki Kondo, Renato “Babalu” Sobral, Jeff Monson and Ginele Marquez. Team Gokar includes Karen Darabedyan, August Wallen, Rodney Faverus, Hakim Gouram and Amanda Buckner. Rounding out the field is Team Lion’s Den with Evan Dunham, Kyacey Uscola, Mike Whitehead, Ricco Rodriguez and Tonya Evinger.

The Dec. 9 event features Team Barnett versus Team Gokor.

-Koji Oshi (Barnett) vs. Karen Darabdeyan (Gokor)

-Yuki Kondo (Barnett) vs. August Wallen (Gokor)

-Renato “Babalu” Sobral (Barnett) vs. Rodney Faverus (Gokor)

-Jeff Monson (Barnett) vs. Hakim Gouram (Gokor)

-Ginele Marquez (Barnett) vs. Amanda Buckner (Gokor)

So, December 9 is the day for all Filipino MMA fanatics!

Its good to know that we will be seeing Babalu strut his stuff... Its such a shame to see a talent go to waste.

Another one is Jeff Monson, who made his mark during the more exciting transition period of the UFC...

have you guys seen mark kerr without the steroids? kawawa naman

How does he look like now? please post some pics...

How does he look like now? please post some pics...

Mataba na! Meron ata sa sherdog dun sa latest fight niya.

Re Babalu, mukhang extra racket lang naman niya ito since I read somewhere na he got signed already by another mma org (EliteXC? WEC?) pero mukhang non-exclusive.

Sayang talaga kasi very competitive pa rin siya even in the UFC. Mas gusto ko pa siya kaysa sa ilang fighters na binabandera dun like Machida, Bisping, Rashad (zzzzz...)

HOLYMOTHERf#&kINGCOWOFNEWZEALAND!!! P8400 yung sa ringside?!?!? Anak ng! Thats one payday worth of my salary, grabe pala yun ah. Yung pinakamahal na ticket na binili ko the last time na nanood ako sa Araneta was the INXS concert and its just a penny compared to P8400... I will just pray na konti lang manonood para mura na lang ang benta ng mga scalpers, heheheh!

Well, that's just me... Considering the fighters in the card, stiff pa rin yan para sakin, I dont see myself burning P8,000 for that kind of show (unless its a rock concert), siguro I would opt for the upper box and I will have to hook up with the friendly neighborhood scalpers in Araneta, hehehhe! Kapag konti tao dyan, mura ticket sa labas...