Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

UFC 96: Rashad Evans vs Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson main event in the works

http://mmastore.mmamania.com/DVDimg/96b.jpg

MMAmania.com can confirm that a main event title fight between newly crowned UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans (13-0-1) and former 205-pound kingpin Quinton Jackson (29-7) could be added to the UFC 96 card at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on March 7.

Perhaps the only thing currently standing in the way is time — both fighters face relatively tight turnarounds (nine weeks) since their most recent winning performances at UFC 92: “The Ultimate 2008″ on Dec. 27.

If the showdown is eventually booked, it would be yet another attempt by the promotion to deliver UFC fans in the “Buckeye State” — who appear to be spoiled with colossal main events — another exciting showdown to cheer about.

UFC 82, the most recent pay-per-view (PPV) event to be held there, was a star-studded card that was packed with talent from the bottom up, featuring the 185-pound showdown between UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva, and the last man to hold the Pride FC 183-pound belt, Dan Henderson.

In addition, Randy Couture blew the lid of the Nationwide Arena back at UFC 68 when he returned from retirement to score and improbable win over Tim Sylvia to capture the heavyweight title at the age of 43.

Despite the opportunity to reclaim his light heavyweight title, “Rampage” was initially lukewarm to the idea of facing Evans in his first fight since flatlining Wanderlei Silva with a thunderous left hook at UFC 92: “The Ultimate 2008.”

The new-look Jackson, poised and confident thanks to a new training camp at Wolfslair in the UK, had his sights set on former title holder and opposing coach from The Ultimate Fighter 7 Forrest Griffin.

Griffin scored an unlikely unanimous decision win over Jackson at UFC 86 back in July. This was after Jackson toppled Marvin Eastman, Chuck Liddell and Dan Henderson to reign supreme in the talent-rich 205-pound class. Jackson still feels like he was robbed by the judges and wants to prove that he is indeed the superior fighter.

It would have been a big money rematch, but more than likely not as big as a fight against “Sugar” now that Evans bested Griffin at UFC 92. Griffin also broke his left hand in the second round of that fight and apparently needed to have pins surgically inserted into his hand to help expedite the healing process.

In short, Jackson is the next in line for a shot at the gold with Griffin on the bench until at least the summer while the two other worthy challengers Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida — set to collide at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs Penn 2″ — determine who will be waiting for him should he prevail.

kindly comment on what BJ Penn has to say on GSP...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AoMH...e&type=lgns

haters would probably take what Penn said the wrong way...

he is correct in a sense that once he's inside the octagon with GSP on the other side, thinking about anything else aside from annihilating the other guy is a major no no.

at the same time give Penn credit, his cardio has been good after he rededicated himself to his sport...

i've seen videos of Penn training really hard as well

i don't know about the Machida will win against anyone statement bro, that is totally over left field... everyone can be beat, as what Mir have done against Big Nog... take note i'm a Big Nog fan

once you get caught you go down bro... in MMA doing MMA math is freaking stupid... i learnt that just recently...

totally over left field? Maybe, but that is not MMA math. Lyoto has proven that he is a puzzle that has yet to be solved and if, and only if, the time comes that his style is solved (and I still dont see it coming), that is the time that you can make an MMA equation about him... That is totally different from the Nog-Mir fight, as what we have read here like fearless forecasts from forumers, heheheh. How many posters here have put their money on Big Nog just because he has never been stopped by Fedor or some of the hyped-up fighters in PRIDE? That is pretty stupid MMA math.

No wonder Great Milenko is laughing at those who put so much premium on Big Nog during that fight with Mir, heheheheh! I dont know why only a few of us here saw Mir's fighting chance against Big Nog in that fight. Maybe its because of the "Pride fighters hype effect"? Or I am just a Frank Mir fan? hehehehhe!

Anyway, come fight night, Lyoto will take Thiago Silva to daycare, that is the most certain thing in UFC 94, heheheh! Who wants to place their bet?

amen to that amen!!! the dragon will become the champion soon... rashad vs. lyoto for the title na siguro ang next.... magandang story line pareho unbeaten.... then the ufc can now make a hype about lyoto kasi d gaano popular si rashad like lyoto.....

Lyoto will definitely win that fight again Thiago Silva, but the sad thing is Rashad Lewis vs. Quinton Jackson is in the works right now... Thats how the business aspect of UFC works... Lyoto needs to erase that "boring" tag to be able to fight for the belt but he cannot be denied... UFC is just prolonging the inevitable...

My UFC 93 picks (Maganda siguro may pustahan, heheheh! Lets put our money where our mouth is, katuwaan lang, heheheh):

FRANKLIN by TKO - Franklin will take this one. He is one of America's best MMA fighter and is always on top of his game, not to mention that Hendo is old and broken, hehehhehe! There is no way that Rich "Ace" Franklin will lose, unless he is fighting someone with a monicker of "The Spider" or "The Dragon".

COLEMAN by divine intervention, hehehehhe - Not sure about this one, but I really wont put too much premium on Shogun, he is one of those overrated fighters from the defunct Pride... but The Hammer's best year has already pass him by, just hoping that the Grandfather of Ground and Pound can still pull the trigger but that is highly unlikely. With that being said, I say its Rua by decision, heheheh!

DAVIS by decision

PALHARES by decision - this guy is one bjj wizard, this is a must-watch fight... Magulang lang talaga si Jeremy Horn that is why I dont see the fight to end in submission, but I could be wrong.

KAMPMANN by submission - talented din ito...

Maganda yan may pustahan, katuwaan lang naman eh, hehehhe!

parang karamihan dito kampi kay penn ah, ako i'm rooting for GSP :)

i hope mark muñoz makes good in the ufc, para mabawi nya pride ng pinoys after brandon vera lost his way, sana makabawi na din si vera sa ufc, go pinoys! :)

brother, may kasama ka. GSP din ako :thumbsupsmiley: I'm hoping for a repeat of Penn-St. Pierre 1 :upside:

UFC 93 predictions.. sana naman tumama na ko dito

Hendo via Submission (I'm taking my chances.. hehehe)

Rua by decision-hanga ako pag nanalo si Coleman dito :hypocritesmiley:

Davis by KO

totally over left field? Maybe, but that is not MMA math. Lyoto has proven that he is a puzzle that has yet to be solved and if, and only if, the time comes that his style is solved (and I still dont see it coming), that is the time that you can make an MMA equation about him... That is totally different from the Nog-Mir fight, as what we have read here like fearless forecasts from forumers, heheheh. How many posters here have put their money on Big Nog just because he has never been stopped by Fedor or some of the hyped-up fighters in PRIDE? That is pretty stupid MMA math.

No wonder Great Milenko is laughing at those who put so much premium on Big Nog during that fight with Mir, heheheheh! I dont know why only a few of us here saw Mir's fighting chance against Big Nog in that fight. Maybe its because of the "Pride fighters hype effect"? Or I am just a Frank Mir fan? hehehehhe!

Anyway, come fight night, Lyoto will take Thiago Silva to daycare, that is the most certain thing in UFC 94, heheheh! Who wants to place their bet?

Lyoto will definitely win that fight again Thiago Silva, but the sad thing is Rashad Lewis vs. Quinton Jackson is in the works right now... Thats how the business aspect of UFC works... Lyoto needs to erase that "boring" tag to be able to fight for the belt but he cannot be denied... UFC is just prolonging the inevitable...

i'm a Lyoto fan myself thanks to you chief, all that i'm saying is in MMA everyone can be beat so saying that Lyoto will win against anyone is really a large pill for me to swallow...

take for example how Royce Gracie dominated the first UFCs and then Dan Severn figured out that he could strike his opponents when he takes them down instead of just pulling an americana or a keylock, after that GnP was invented by Mark Coleman, then everything else followed

all that i'm saying is, it is premature to say that Lyoto can beat anyone in any given fight, i mean i won't do the MMA math anymore as there are a lot of variables in a fight & sumakit na ulo ko dati dito ^_^

i'm not saying that Lyoto is boring, but he fights to win though...

to quote Kenflo after he beat Alvin Robinson in UFC73 "I finish fights!"

i'm still a Lyoto fan but i don't agree with you about Lyoto ^_^

Edited by riceb0i
UFC 93 official weigh-ins: Franklin (203) and Henderson (202) come in light

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 16, 2009 at 10:15 am ET

Official weigh-ins for "UFC 93: Franklin vs. Henderson" took place today at 11 a.m. ET (8 a.m. PT) live from The 02 in Dublin, Ireland.

The weigh-ins preceded tomorrow's first UFC pay-per-view event of 2009, which features a main event between former champions Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson at light heavyweight.

All 20 fighters successfully made weight.

Both headliners came in light for the bout. With a 206-pound cutoff, Franklin weighed 203 pounds; Henderson was even lighter at 202.

Former heavyweight Mark Coleman slimmed down drastically for his light-heavyweight co-main event fight with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. With a bald head, protruding abs and barely an ounce of body fat, Coleman, a 44-year-old UFC hall-of-famer, just made the limit after weighing in at 206 pounds. "Shogun" was 205.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was from the event's preliminary card. Veteran Martin Kampmann, who was making his first cut from middleweight to welterweight, had no problems with the drop and actually weighed three pounds under the 171-pound limit. Although he was noticeably slimmer, fans have no reason to worry.

"He got here and started the cut at 173 pounds and just went a little deeper than he needed," his agent, Ken Pavia, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the weigh in. "The cut was easy, and he's doing really well. No problems at all."

Full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD

* Dan Henderson (202) vs. Rich Franklin (203)

* Mark Coleman (206) vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205)

* Jeremy Horn (185) vs. Rousimar Palhares (184)

* Alan Belcher (186) vs. Denis Kang (184)

* Marcus Davis (169) vs. Chris Lytle (171)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Alexandre Barros (170) vs. Martin Kampmann (168)

* Antonio Mendes (204) vs. Eric Schafer (205)

* Thomasz Drwal (203) vs. Ivan Serati (204)

* Tom Egan (169) vs. John Hathaway (171)

* Dennis Siver (155) vs. Nate Mohr (156)

source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/13733/ufc-93-off...l-weigh-ins.mma

Controversial win by Rua over Coleman - Source www.mmajunkie.com live update

Round 1 - Rua throws a leg kick, but Coleman pushes thrugh it and takes Rua down. Rua stands and Coleman looks for a single leg takedown. Coleman brings it down and Rua immediately looks for a knee bar. Coleman rolls out and stands. Rua lands a right hand while Coleman is against the fence, but Coleman pushes out and brings Rua again to the floor. Rua remains calm on the bottom and continues to look for submissions. After a scramble Rua lands in top position. Rua immediately moves to side control and works to free his arm. Coleman rests his feet on the cage while Rua holds side control. Rua lands a few shots, but nothing overwhelming. Coleman stands and Rua scores with a kick, Rua scores on the feet and Coleman looks winded. Coleman looks for a takedown, but can't hold Rua down. Rua drops Coleman with a right hand. Rua follows, but Coleman stands. Both fighters trade in the clinch as time expires. Coleman looks exhausted. MMAjunkie.com scores it for Rua, 10-9.

Round 2 - Rua misses with a kick, then narrowly with a knee. Rua looks very relaxed in picking Coleman apart. Coleman shoots in and forces Rua against the cage. Rua stands and pushes Coleman against the fence. Coleman hold on, still winded, and drags Rua down. Rua pops back up and measures his opponent. Rua remains calm and wobbles Coleman with a series of punches. The crowd cheers for Coleman, but Rua punishes him from the outside. Rua scores with knees in the clinch, and Coleman trips him to the mat. The two stand, and Rua also appears very winded. Coleman scores the takedown, but Rua locks in an omo plata. Rua inches the lock deeper and deeper, but Coleman reamins patient through the process. Rua looks exhausted and can't finish. MMAjunkie.com sees the round for Rua, 10-9.

Round 3 - Both fighters' hands are low. Coleman scores to the body, but Rua answers with knees in the clinch. Coleman looks for a takedown. Rua sprawls, but Coleman persists and drags him to the floor. Coleman brings several punches from Rua's half-guard. Rua looks to move from underneath, and the crowd again cheers Coleman's name. Rua grabs Coleman's leg and looks for a submission. Coleman is warned for grabbing the fence then breaks free from the hols. Coleman again winds up in top position and brings several punches. They don't have much steam, but the shots are finding their mark. Both fighters exhausted. Rua stands and scores an illegal knee whle Coleman is kneeling. Replays show the blow may have only hit the chest. Both fighter swing wild punches as time winds down. Rua drops Coleman with a series of punches. Rua follows to the floor to follow up on his wounded foe. The bout is quickly halted despite Coleman's complaints. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua def. Mark Coleman via TKO (strikes)

Hendo wins over Ace - source www.mmajunkie.com live update

Round 1 - A touch of gloves and we're underway. Franklin takes the center of the cage. Henderson opens with a few leg kicks. Big right hand wobbles Franklin, but a slip allows Franklin to recover. Henderson ends up in top position and Franklin works with a half-guard. Henderson throws a few right hands that get heavier and heavier as they continue to be delivered. Franklin working hard to stand, but Henderson keeps him trapped against the cage. Franklin works free and escapes. Both fighter connect from the feet, Franklin scoring with kicks. Franklin continues to work kicks to the body. Henderson has slowed his offense, and Franklin is bringing more offense. Franklin scores with a combination, but Henderson answers with his own punch. Franklin bleeding, but scores with repetitive kicks. Henderson looks winded as time winds down. Franklin's cut is deep. MMAjunkie.com scores the round for Henderson, 10-9.

Round 2 - Replays between rounds show the accidental head clash that caused Franklin's cut. The blood is not causing issues for the time being. Henderson scores with a leg kick, and the two trade punches. Franklin again takes the center of the cage. Henderson misses with a big right hand, and Franklin scores with a knee and a series of punches. Franklin continues to work from the outside. The bleeding has started to trickle toward Franklin's eye. Henderson clinches and forces the takedown. Franklin works an open guard. Franklin's head is trapped against the fence, and he looks to rolls to look for a submission. Nothing is there, and Henderson keeps the fight pinned to the mat. The pace is slow, but Henderson has Franklin trapped. A quick flurry ends the round and MMAjunkie.com sees it for Henderson, 10-9.

Round 3 - Good pace to open the final round. Franklin scores from the outside, but Henderson is again able to close the distance and pull Franklin down. Franklin backs up to the cage and looks to escape. Henderson lands a right hand, but Franklin rolls out and ends in top position. Henderson doesn't stay there long and the two work from the clinch. Halfway through the final round, and Franklin scores with jabs. Henderson slowing and appears winded. Franklin looks to take the fight down, but settles for scoring in the clinch. Franklin tries a foot stomp then pushes away. A minute remains and Henderson slips as he comes forward. Franklin can't capitalize. As he pushes forward, Franklin suffers a deep eye poke. Henderson apologizes immediately, but Franklin is in obvious pain. Franklin is given two minutes to recover, but the damage is obvious. Just 37 seconds remain on the restart. Both fighters look to set up a big shot to end, and the time expires. MMAjunkie.com sees it for Franklin 10-9, but the contest for Henderson, 29-28. Dan Henderson def. Rich Franklin via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)

i'm a Lyoto fan myself thanks to you chief, all that i'm saying is in MMA everyone can be beat so saying that Lyoto will win against anyone

is really a large pill for me to swallow...

take for example how Royce Gracie dominated the first UFCs and then Dan Severn figured out that he could strike his opponents when he takes

them down instead of just pulling an americana or a keylock, after that GnP was invented by Mark Coleman, then everything else followed

all that i'm saying is, it is premature to say that Lyoto can beat anyone in any given fight, i mean i won't do the MMA math anymore as there

are a lot of variables in a fight & sumakit na ulo ko dati dito ^_^

i'm not saying that Lyoto is boring, but he fights to win though...

to quote Kenflo after he beat Alvin Robinson in UFC73 "I finish fights!"

i'm still a Lyoto fan but i don't agree with you about Lyoto ^_^

Thats OK chief. We may disagree on things but we may still be on the same plane, thats how forums go... But in case you didnt know, Royce, The Beast and The Hammer were all God-like in status in UFC or the MMA until their enigma were deciphered... Its just a matter of style begets style.

Gracie's wizardry on the ground was solved with that rematch with Ken Shamrock, The Beast and The Hammer's opponents found a way to beat them by emptying their gas tanks... What Im saying here is, once a fighter is exposed with his weaknesses or a style that negates his style, its just a matter of time before he will go down the drain. And we cannot say the same thing about Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida.

Ever wonder why so many MMA enthusiasts (those true blue MMA fanatics, not those mainstream MMA fans who find his style boring) wonder in awe at Machida's wizardry on the ring/cage? It is because he is "the anti-thesis" of MMA. How many "MMA analysts" downplayed his skills because he is supposed to be weak in striking and wrestling? But he levelled down each and every fighters who is supposed to be superior in the department where he is weak, with a style that even tacticians of the sport can seem to find a flaw... And now, the same pundits are critiquing him again because he doesnt finish fights and he plays a boring fight... The thing is, with Machida's hybrid style of fighting, only a machine gun can stop him, and you can say that that statement is nut-hugging, but I will bet all my money with the Dragon regardless of who his opponent is, be it Fedor or Barack Obama, heheheheh!

Like what I have posted here some pages ago, people will just realize how great Machida is once he mowed down the 205-division.

Anyway, I watched the UFC this morning and Rich Franklin was robbed... He clearly won rounds 1 and 3, what the F!?!?!

And Shogun is out of shape, if he really is the feared PRIDE fighter of yore, an old and broken Hammer should not last the first round. That fight speaks volume of Rua's capability as a fighter... I bet even Tank Abbott can pull an upset on him, heheheh!

haters would probably take what Penn said the wrong way...

he is correct in a sense that once he's inside the octagon with GSP on the other side, thinking about anything else aside from annihilating the other guy is a major no no.

at the same time give Penn credit, his cardio has been good after he rededicated himself to his sport...

i've seen videos of Penn training really hard as well

it actually depends if they will literally take what penn said. BJ is in a different mode or persona when he talks about his upcoming fights.

cant wait for his fight against GSp for it will be a great match. still, i'll be rooting for GSP on this one.

Ayus panalo si Henderson...

Nakakainis yung laban ni Rua-Coleman, parehong out of shape.

i can't say the same thing about Coleman bro since he is known to really gas out... but Shogun gassing is a different story, he may have won the fight be he lost a lot of respect in that fight in my opinion...

Thats OK chief. We may disagree on things but we may still be on the same plane, thats how forums go... But in case you didnt know, Royce, The Beast and The Hammer were all God-like in status in UFC or the MMA until their enigma were deciphered... Its just a matter of style begets style.

Gracie's wizardry on the ground was solved with that rematch with Ken Shamrock, The Beast and The Hammer's opponents found a way to beat them by emptying their gas tanks... What Im saying here is, once a fighter is exposed with his weaknesses or a style that negates his style, its just a matter of time before he will go down the drain. And we cannot say the same thing about Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida.

Ever wonder why so many MMA enthusiasts (those true blue MMA fanatics, not those mainstream MMA fans who find his style boring) wonder in awe at Machida's wizardry on the ring/cage? It is because he is "the anti-thesis" of MMA. How many "MMA analysts" downplayed his skills because he is supposed to be weak in striking and wrestling? But he levelled down each and every fighters who is supposed to be superior in the department where he is weak, with a style that even tacticians of the sport can seem to find a flaw... And now, the same pundits are critiquing him again because he doesnt finish fights and he plays a boring fight... The thing is, with Machida's hybrid style of fighting, only a machine gun can stop him, and you can say that that statement is nut-hugging, but I will bet all my money with the Dragon regardless of who his opponent is, be it Fedor or Barack Obama, heheheheh!

Like what I have posted here some pages ago, people will just realize how great Machida is once he mowed down the 205-division.

Anyway, I watched the UFC this morning and Rich Franklin was robbed... He clearly won rounds 1 and 3, what the F!?!?!

And Shogun is out of shape, if he really is the feared PRIDE fighter of yore, an old and broken Hammer should not last the first round. That fight speaks volume of Rua's capability as a fighter... I bet even Tank Abbott can pull an upset on him, heheheh!

while watching the fight i was like damn, Dan Henderson was getting his takedowns and pretty much even yung striking nila with a slight advantage toRich franklin of course, i think nanalo si Henderson kasi he had those takedowns and Rich wasn't really able to get a takedown... anyways good win for Hendo as he really wanted to coach for the upcoming TUF9 USA VS UK and Rich was having 2nd thoughts about the gig... Congratulations to Dan Henderson for the win ^_^

it actually depends if they will literally take what penn said. BJ is in a different mode or persona when he talks about his upcoming fights.

cant wait for his fight against GSp for it will be a great match. still, i'll be rooting for GSP on this one.

yep if you've seen the promos for their fight Penn is really on a warpath, just the way he says to the death brings a shiver down my spine...

i'm really expecting a great fight come the 31st ^_^

WAR PENN!!! ^_^