Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

there are literally hundreds of styles of arnis or kali or escrima as filipino stickfighting is called. try going to ymca makati as inquire about kali illustrisimo or bakbakan int'l. joining is by invitation only. it is the same art practiced by ronnie ricketts (actor) and congr. miguel zubiri.

i know a little but nothing to qualify me as a teacher. you can say i am quite knowledgeable and have actually use it on several street situations. i am still alive but have suffered minor injuries. (blades were involved, as well as lead pipes). it is not something to brag about. i still wish those incidents never happened.

Yaw-Yan is a good style. Kinda like Muay Thai, but with fancier kicks. There's Hybrid Yaw-Yan, which is traditional YY mixed with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Yaw Yan is an abrevation for Sayaw ng Kmatayan.... it is an art that is designed for quick k*ll of opponents ...

Guest uglykid

boys, meron ba sa inyo na magko-compete sa URCC? most of my gym buddies would like to join (mostly instructors). ako dehins sasali. sayang naman ang gwapo kong mukha :)

to those who are planning to join and are already undergoing training, how's your training? :)

tpos shortly into the match binalian nung grappler si Cobra using an arm bar..grabe ayaw nya mag tap-out & nagpop out ung arm nya sa capsule ng elbow, as in kitang kita..

That fight should have been stopped 10 seconds before it was. Sa UFC, grabe ang tingin ng mga referee sa laban. They don't even wait for the tap-out. The priority is to protect the fighters, especially in those grappling moves. What happened here, where the referee allowed that arm bar to continue, is unforgivable. We shouldn't even have such matches until the referees know what they're doing. Kawawa naman yung mga fighters.

any information about a martial art called bando ( the one practiced by the famed mercenaries/ soldiers of nepal,burma,india border regions, the GURKHAS). i am very interested in the use of their famed blade weapon, the kukris. anyone who knows where i can purchase one? also their effective hand to hand combat techniques as well as other weaponry.

Bando is a generic term for Burmese martial arts, both hand-to-hand like Burmese boxing (similar to Thai Boxing) and weapons based fighting arts. I believe that Bando mixes both styles. If you want to know mroe about Burmese fighting arts click on this link Burmese Fighting Arts

Since you're interested in weapons based martial arts maybe you could try some of our own styles like Kali de Leon or Pekiti Tirsia Kali. I could give you the contact numbers of people who teach Filipino Martial Arts.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Edited by Novice
jt2003 Posted on Jun 5 2004, 10:59 AM

That fight should have been stopped 10 seconds before it was. Sa UFC, grabe ang tingin ng mga referee sa laban. They don't even wait for the tap-out. The priority is to protect the fighters, especially in those grappling moves. What happened here, where the referee allowed that arm bar to continue, is unforgivable. We shouldn't even have such matches until the referees know what they're doing. Kawawa naman yung mga fighters

oo nga eh, ewan ko ba..kita na ngang hirap na si cobra sa arm bar eh binalian pa din ni sumanoy, bruto din cgro ung taong un, talagang sinagad ung kamay..poor cobra :(..pinalabas na ba ung URCC III? :)

some info on arnis balintawak style, the one by grandmaster silver , which was featured in GAMEPLAN, studio 23. i forgot their website address. kali de leon and pekiti tirsia are more blade-oriented arts, and although some techniques may find translation in the use of sticks, they are really meant to to be used with the blade(more finesse, and less power.) a less lethal art with single stick.

Hi to everyone,

This is my first time to post. If you want to try out Olympic-Amateur style boxing, you can go to the Philippine Navy Gym in Fort Bonifacio and be trained by the Philippine Navy Boxing Team. Its a totally different world from what you see in professional boxing matches. Most of the coaches and the boxers are former or current members of TEAM PHILIPPINES and have outstanding fight credentials (Olympic vets, Asian Games medalists, SEA Games Champions). The NAVY BOXING team is currently the National Open Senior's Team Champion and is the threepeat champion of the annual AFP-PNP Olympics boxing tournament.

They have very good rates and you will definitely get your workout. They have a full size ring and bags. The place is spartan, to appeal to your warrior side, but the training could be brutal depending on your prefernce. If you have what it takes to train with the best, call this number : 09212 167626.