The Mail Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Riveria

Mom,

For all the things my hands have held, the best by far is you. In my life, you are the sun that never fades and the moon that never wanes.

I love you and Happy Mother's Day!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FJ,

Ive been hurt a lot of times before, Im sorry if I am ever hurting you right now. Ive been in relationships for too many times where I thought would last a lifetime but as it turns out, we had the wrong foundation. Ive been in relationships too deep I thought weve connected so well that itll not break but it did. Ive been in relationships too magical and amazing but turns out there are amazing things that only last for a moment. Im starting to have attachment issues to everyone but believe me, Im trying to be as warm like I was before.

BC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dear Mom,

This is the first letter Ive ever written you in over a decade. Come to think of it, havent written anything in ages. Perhaps its because Im so overwhelmed with the goings-on in my life that I could hardly find time for anything personal. And when I do, either Id get paralized by the fear of opening a pandoras box of emotions I know would be difficult to deal with.

Lets start with something simple. I miss you. I know that you wanted me, among other things, to be independent. And I remember being the confident young man eager to step out of your shadow and ready take on the world by my lonesome. Yet, now that I have my own life away from you, not a day passes by without me thinking of you and wishing you were here. Life, indeed, is full of ironies.

I long for the warmth of your embrace. I long for the time when, as a child, you would hold me and I would fall asleep in your arms knowing that no harm could ever come to me. I long for the sound of your voice. I remember the many conversations we had that seemed to go on and on. I would talk to you about anything. You would listen and give advice. You had wisdom and oftentimes, you would be right. More than a parent, you were also a very dear friend. Celebrating my most trivial accomplishments. Sharing my deepest of sorrows. Protecting me from the crazy worldly distractions; And many more

So many things have happened that I wish I could share with you. My life has turned out pretty well- thanks to you and dad, primarily. You probably would have been proud of me! My son has your smile and takes after our side of the family. That is to say, hes good-looking and smart! Once in a while, he would ask about you and Id show him a picture of you that is still in my wallet. I would tell him how great a mother you were to me and remind him always that he has a grandma who always prays for him.

I have taken care of my siblings. Dont worry. As you have wanted, I have remained the big brother that they know they can always count on. Leading them and being strong for them the way I think you would have done if you were here. This is a heavy task that I have to bear and there are times when Id regret taking it on especially in times of grief when I, too, need to be consoled. I always do the consoling. 

Have you seen dad again? And Gian? They left just a few months apart from each other. You know very well that Id give up everything I have just for them to be with me even just a little longer. Especially Gian whos like a son to me. But theres really nothing I could give that would make him stay. I guess, you need company. Sometimes, I would find a bit of refuge listening to songs and memories that bring me back to the time when he wasnt yet part of our lives. Only to realize that life has never been more joyful as it was after he became part of it! I think about him all the time. Please send my regards to him and dad.

Yesterday, we went to Sampaloc-  the cradle of my childhood. We passed by the old apartment where you grew up and where I myself spent countless summer days. It is now home to people I dont really know. Still, I saw images of you waving me goodbye just like the last time that I saw you. Somehow, I am torn in my affinity to this place. This is where our roots are and this is the birthplace of thoughts that will linger in my mind forever. Yet, the generations of people I still know are almost all gone. And I despair that the only reason for me to keep coming back is to visit you, dad, and Gian. To see your names written on an epitaph.

There...in your grave. I light a candle for you every night.

Your loving son,

Art.

• 3 weeks later...