Upcoming Movies - Want To Watch?

IMDb Movie of the Day

What does Kissing Jessica Stein, a romantic comedy about two women who tentatively embark on a neurotic relationship, have in common with... Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen were two unknown writer/actresses with an Off-Off Broadway sketch comedy concept about two Laura Ashley "girly-girl" types who meet at a day spa and try to figure out how they could become lesbians. But what started out as a spoof took on more dimensions, and soon enough, inspired by the success of Good Will Hunting,

User Comments:

1 out of 2 people found the following comment useful:-

Bad even for a kids movie., 27 August 2006

Author: steven12677 from United States

This movie seemed like it was put together very quickly in both plot and graphics. My two daughters were ready to go 30 minutes before the end of the movie which rarely happens when we go to the theaters. This was a Nickelodeon Production and it would have been better if they had released it on the t.v. station. The animation itself in some parts was o.k. but the plot was horrible. A classic tale of a son trying to fulfill a fathers expectations is used in a lot of kids movies, but the animation or graphics need to be really good to keep a childs attention. This was not the case with this film. There were also awkward elements between the lead male character and the lead female character that the plot could have done without

User Comments:

1 out of 2 people found the following comment useful:-

Bad even for a kids movie., 27 August 2006

Author: steven12677 from United States

This movie seemed like it was put together very quickly in both plot and graphics. My two daughters were ready to go 30 minutes before the end of the movie which rarely happens when we go to the theaters. This was a Nickelodeon Production and it would have been better if they had released it on the t.v. station. The animation itself in some parts was o.k. but the plot was horrible. A classic tale of a son trying to fulfill a fathers expectations is used in a lot of kids movies, but the animation or graphics need to be really good to keep a childs attention. This was not the case with this film. There were also awkward elements between the lead male character and the lead female character that the plot could have done without

One Of The Best Movie "Gifts" I've Gotten This Year..., 26 July 2006

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.

It is very rare to see a movie that can charm the hell out of an audience without the use of special effects, worn-out clichés and bombastic action set pieces these days. It's even more ridiculous to hope that you will see such a film for FREE. But that's exactly what happened to me tonight at a sneak preview of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.

One Of The Best Movie "Gifts" I've Gotten This Year..., 26 July 2006

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.

It is very rare to see a movie that can charm the hell out of an audience without the use of special effects, worn-out clichés and bombastic action set pieces these days. It's even more ridiculous to hope that you will see such a film for FREE. But that's exactly what happened to me tonight at a sneak preview of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.

Are there no good horror/mystery/thrillers being made any longer?, 31 August 2006

Author: tiktokofoz (tiktokofoz@aol.com) from United States

I have never seen the 1973, older highly rated version. I am a Nicholas Cage fan (by the way, fine acting as usual). This movie probably took all of five minutes to hammer out the whole plot (I can see it being done on a cocktail napkin at a dinner party), if you can't figure out the ending of this drool in the first thirty minutes you will probably find this movie entertaining. This is, of late, the terrible rut that Hollywood seems to have dug for itself with the horror/mystery/thriller genre, unable to give the audience enough credit and write a fresh, smart, and tantalizing screenplay, they dish out some creepy music and throw in a couple of things to make you jump a little and then send the final print off to your local theater.

Are there no good horror/mystery/thrillers being made any longer?, 31 August 2006

Author: tiktokofoz (tiktokofoz@aol.com) from United States

I have never seen the 1973, older highly rated version. I am a Nicholas Cage fan (by the way, fine acting as usual). This movie probably took all of five minutes to hammer out the whole plot (I can see it being done on a cocktail napkin at a dinner party), if you can't figure out the ending of this drool in the first thirty minutes you will probably find this movie entertaining. This is, of late, the terrible rut that Hollywood seems to have dug for itself with the horror/mystery/thriller genre, unable to give the audience enough credit and write a fresh, smart, and tantalizing screenplay, they dish out some creepy music and throw in a couple of things to make you jump a little and then send the final print off to your local theater.

One for the Ages, 30 July 1998

Author: Boyo-2

This movie re-wrote film history in every way. No one cares what anyone thinks about this movie, because it transcends criticism. Every flaw in the movie is easily overcome by the many amazing things the movie has going for it. It is an extremely beautiful movie, and I doubt many of us will see anything like it again. I've seen it more times than I care to count, and I still become transfixed every time, with a feeling which is hard to describe. One for the ages.

One for the Ages, 30 July 1998

Author: Boyo-2

This movie re-wrote film history in every way. No one cares what anyone thinks about this movie, because it transcends criticism. Every flaw in the movie is easily overcome by the many amazing things the movie has going for it. It is an extremely beautiful movie, and I doubt many of us will see anything like it again. I've seen it more times than I care to count, and I still become transfixed every time, with a feeling which is hard to describe. One for the ages.

This movie is okay., 30 November 2005

Author: Jessica Kolk from Brazil

Of all the Harry Potter's movies, I guess the ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' was the more more expected of all. I was one of the thousands of teenagers who wanted to watch this movie so badly and I watched it in the first week it came here in Brazil. After 4 Harry Potter's movies, now I feel comfortable to say that the first movie is the one I liked the least. Maybe because it is the one who has less adventure or danger of all, but I cannot say exactly why. I think it will be very difficult for me, being crazy for Harry Potter's books, to give 10 in any of the H.P.'s movies, since the book is SO MUCH better than any of the films. I mean, MANY great parts are never showed in the movies. But if you are one of those people who never read any Harry Potter book, this film will be of vital importance to watch since it is the first of the series.

Obviously not a great fantasy film, but surprisingly, a good one, 28 November 2002

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia

This is undeniably a better film than the last one, which is odd, since it's also undeniable that the second book is the weakest in the series. But perhaps it's not so odd. The first book, after all, is at its best in the opening chapters, in which we, more or less along with Harry, discover that there's a whole world of wizards and witches, that Harry is both talented in magic and an inadvertant celebrity, etc. It was these opening chapters that Coloumbus most thoroughly muffed when he made the screen version. In the first book, nothing that happens at Hogwarts can live up to the promise of the opening; in the first film, the arrival at Hogwarts is a relief after all the dutiful but tedious exposition.

Great Movie, 21 November 2005

Author: tlohse77 from United States

This is a awesome Harry Potter Movie It is really pretty well done with a dark and spooky feel It almost made me wet my pants and I'm 28 years old. Yeah there is some stuff left out that was in the book but there is plenty of action and effects. Its a must see for all fans of the books and movies. This movie is the best of the series to date. I can't wait for the DVD to find out if there's anything added that was left out of the film. This movie is best on the big screen. The young actors are growing up well. I'm afraid that pretty soon they will be too old for there roles in the film. I know some people probably won't like this film too much and its not for the really young kids but Its a great film and I would not miss it for the world.

10 Dead Man's Chest's out of 10, 7 July 2006

Author: cathdoh from Australia

I have been to see this movie twice, and it has only been out in Australia for two days. I am an enormous Johnny Depp fan and so of course I had to see the very first session of this movie. The main question I wanted answered was, "Would this movie live up to the legend that was The Curse of the Black Pearl?"

I am pleased to tell you that not only does this movie live up to the BP, it exceeds it. DMC is amazing!! The acting is exquisite, the special effects are astonishing, the music is inspiring, the jokes are endless, the storyline is flawless and the ending leaves you satisfied though still wanting more and wishing that we were just a little bit closer to May, 2007.

10 Dead Man's Chest's out of 10, 7 July 2006

Author: cathdoh from Australia

I have been to see this movie twice, and it has only been out in Australia for two days. I am an enormous Johnny Depp fan and so of course I had to see the very first session of this movie. The main question I wanted answered was, "Would this movie live up to the legend that was The Curse of the Black Pearl?"

I am pleased to tell you that not only does this movie live up to the BP, it exceeds it. DMC is amazing!! The acting is exquisite, the special effects are astonishing, the music is inspiring, the jokes are endless, the storyline is flawless and the ending leaves you satisfied though still wanting more and wishing that we were just a little bit closer to May, 2007.

Hail The Heroes!, 18 December 2002

Author: docmonster

Every great adventure story worth telling has a solid hero - someone who puts others before themselves and uses their talents to do their best at keeping the forces of evil at bay even if it means the loss of life and limb. At its core, this movie has eight such heroes and each one lives up to the call. From Pippin and Merry, the lost hobbits who aid the Ents in battle, to Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas who held back the hordes at Helms Deep to Frodo and Samwise who continue to make their dangerous and arduous trek to Mount Doom. All of these characters are heroes and they're played with love, respect and meaning

63rd Venice Film Festival: Children of Men, 4 September 2006

Author: agentmatheus from Brazil

The 63rd Venice Film Festival is at its best, with DePalma featuring a film-noir (The Black Dahlia), Helen Mirren getting some good Oscar buzz (for The Queen- a film I unfortunately didn't see)... However, this Sunday, Italy was impressed and marveled with Afonso Cuaron's newest science-fiction: ''Children of Men''.

63rd Venice Film Festival: Children of Men, 4 September 2006

Author: agentmatheus from Brazil

The 63rd Venice Film Festival is at its best, with DePalma featuring a film-noir (The Black Dahlia), Helen Mirren getting some good Oscar buzz (for The Queen- a film I unfortunately didn't see)... However, this Sunday, Italy was impressed and marveled with Afonso Cuaron's newest science-fiction: ''Children of Men''.

Genre: Crime / Drama / Thriller (more)

Tagline: Cops or Criminals, when you're facing a loaded gun what's the difference? (more)

Plot Outline: Two men from opposite sides of the law are undercover within the Boston State Police department and the Irish mafia, but violence and bloodshed boil when discoveries are made, and the moles are dispatched to find out their enemy's identities. (more) (view trailer)

Don't let that vote fool you, 20 May 2006

Author: filman79 from Los Angeles

This is a perfect example of a love-it-or-hate-it movie simply because its very nature means it's somewhat plot less -- we're constantly unsure if what we're seeing on the screen is really real or just in Gael Garcia Bernal's dreams, and some moviegoers abhor uncertainty, hence I think the large number of "1" votes for this flick. (Also, the film is ostensibly foreign, but moves from French to English with equal measure, with a little bit of Spanish tossed in, too. So maybe the shifts in language also irked some people, but I found it enchanting.) So don't let those low votes fool you; this is a beautiful, sublime film, and if you let yourself go onto its wavelength, you'll most likely find yourself *enjoying* the (perhaps unsolvable) visual puzzle Michel Gondry has created here. It is the quintessence of magical realism, and yet everything comes across as absolutely effortless, unlike the forced whimsy of, say, last year's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or the too-clever-by-half Adaptation. I dare say it's probably one of the best films of the year.

An Excellent Film with An Excellent Cast, 21 July 2006

Author: Jay Shukla from London, England

Many people who have read the Alex Rider series were looking forward to this upcoming film which projects the amazing adventures of the teen spy onto the big screen, however many people were afraid this would turn into another Cody Banks film and be given a bad image because of the recent teen spy films… That fear can now be forgotten!

Being a fan of the Alex Rider books myself you would probably expect a good review from me, but at first I had my doubts too. Things such as including Sabina Pleasure in this film seemed like a bit of risk and it looked like this film was going in the usual direction of a teen spy film (The save-the-girl-and-get-home-to-watch-the-Simpson's storyline). This turned out to be wrong, the author of the book incorporated these changes himself, and we can now call them improvements. It seems if he had one more chance to make changes, this was it, and they were great.

Jet Li's best film in years!, 7 February 2006

Author: zxantosdragon from United States

Let's get to the point. This is Jet Li's best movie in years. Not because of the fight scenes, but because the plot is engaging throughout and the emotional tension of the movie works, even though it was a bit tangled with a bit of preach.

The plot is simple. I think everyone here knows about it, so I won't spent time talking too much about it. Jet Li plays Huo Yuan Jia, an arrogant young man that has no regard for human life so to speak, and in one brash move, he indirectly caused the death of his family. He journey to a remote village to learn humility. This is probably the weakest part of the film. Mainly because a large part of it was cut out from the theatrical release. Huo had a few dialogues with Betty Sun, who played a blind girl. Their relationship was very underdeveloped. And Huo's return to Shanghai to fight was with brevity, and hardly explained. He returns to Shanghai and defends his country's honor.

I thought Jet Li did a great job acting both as the arrogant man and as the wiser wushu master. But people of course, came to see Jet Li fight. And to me, the earlier fight scenes are good, but have too much computer effects and slow motion. Still, it was refreshing to see Jet Li return to using Chinese Kung Fu.

Worthy of audience applause, 8 September 2006

Author: burt12 from United States

I attended an advance screening of this film not sure of what to expect from Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher; both have delivered less than memorable performances & films. While the underlying "general" storyline is somewhat familiar, this film was excellent. Both Costner and Kutcher delivered powerful performances playing extremely well off each other. The human frailties and strengths of their respective characters were incredibly played by both; the scene when Costner confronts Kutcher with the personal reasons why Kutcher joined the Coast Guard rescue elite was the film's most unforgettable emotional moment. The "specific" storyline was an education in itself depicting the personal sacrifice and demanding physical training the elite Coast Guard rescuers must go through in preparation of their only job & responsibility...to save lives at sea. The special effects of the rescue scenes were extremely realistic and "wowing"...I haven't seen such angry seas since "The Perfect Storm". Co-star Clancy Brown (HBO's "Carnivale" - great to see him again) played the captain of the Coast Guard's Kodiak, Alaska base in a strong, convincing role as a leader with the prerequisite and necessary ice water in his veins. The film wonderfully, and finally, gives long overdue exposure and respect to the Coast Guard; it had the audience applauding at the end.

Worthy of audience applause, 8 September 2006

Author: burt12 from United States

I attended an advance screening of this film not sure of what to expect from Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher; both have delivered less than memorable performances & films. While the underlying "general" storyline is somewhat familiar, this film was excellent. Both Costner and Kutcher delivered powerful performances playing extremely well off each other. The human frailties and strengths of their respective characters were incredibly played by both; the scene when Costner confronts Kutcher with the personal reasons why Kutcher joined the Coast Guard rescue elite was the film's most unforgettable emotional moment. The "specific" storyline was an education in itself depicting the personal sacrifice and demanding physical training the elite Coast Guard rescuers must go through in preparation of their only job & responsibility...to save lives at sea. The special effects of the rescue scenes were extremely realistic and "wowing"...I haven't seen such angry seas since "The Perfect Storm". Co-star Clancy Brown (HBO's "Carnivale" - great to see him again) played the captain of the Coast Guard's Kodiak, Alaska base in a strong, convincing role as a leader with the prerequisite and necessary ice water in his veins. The film wonderfully, and finally, gives long overdue exposure and respect to the Coast Guard; it had the audience applauding at the end.

Trivia: New Line had to pay $3 million more than it expected to in order to keep the franchise in the studio fold after Dimension Films made a pricey deal with original rights holders Tobe Hooper, Kim Henkel and Robert Kuhn. (more)

Quotes:

[from trailer]

Sheriff Hoyt: People may not remember what we say here tonight, but by God they'll remember what we did.

Good and Bad, 15 June 2006

Author: breezyindaheezy from United States

This movie probably would have been a 9 or 10 without Jessica Simpson. She is a horrible actress, I don't know why the producers would want her in the movie. And of course, since she's in the movie her dad had to be a producer as well. They dress her slutty the whole time. Maybe they could have had class once, but no chance. Dane Cook was great. He's a great comedian and even a good actor. If you like him, it's probably worth seeing. There is a lot of stupid comedy as well. Probably some of the best laughs of the movie. Dax plays a great part, he really makes you hate him while you're watching. I'm not a big Andy Dick fan, but I liked his role. For all you Seinfeld fans-- there's a few cast members involved, and if i remember correctly a Jerry shout out. It's hard to say what it reminds me of exactly. Maybe a little of Napoleon Dynamite, but not as funny. Put it this way, if you don't like Jessica, stay away! It will make you hate her more. But I suppose if you're a big Dane fan, you might want to pay, or just wait until it comes out on video.

Also Known As:

Jackass 2: The Son of Jackass (USA) (working title)

Jackass: The Movie 2 (USA) (working title)

MPAA: Rated R for extremely crude and dangerous stunts throughout, sexual content, nudity and language.

Language: English

Color: Color

Certification: USA:R

Trivia: The only member of _"Jackass (2000)"_ that did not return for this film was Chris Raab. (more)

JACKASS...

ron Gang

Director: Phil Joanou

Stars: The Rock, Xzibit (Full Cast)

Studio: Columbia Pictures

The Plot: A counselor (The Rock) at Camp Kilpatrick, a juvenile detention center in LA, launches a football program to help rehabilitate a group of young inmates. After weeks of rigorous training, the Kilpatrick Mustangs look to compete against area high schools, where coaches and players alike are wary of mixing it up with criminals

Everyone's Hero

Director: Colin Brady Christopher Reeve

Stars: Jake T. Austin, Brian Dennehy, Whoopi Goldberg (Full Cast)

Studio: Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation

The Plot: A boy travels across the country on a mission to return Babe Ruth's bat before the deciding game of the 1932 World Series.

THE BUZZ: Animation vets Brady and St. Pierre stepped up to the plate for this one after original director Christopher Reeve died in October 2004. As a tribute, Fox picked up Reeve's pet project originally titled "Yankee Irving" and hired a great voice cast, including Reeves' widow, Dana, who sadly also passed away before the film's completion. Despite its heart-breaking heritage, this film will undoubtedly be a real heartwarmer. But, bring a tissue for the special dedication during the final credits, just in case

Black Dahlia

Director: Brian De Palma

Stars: Josh Hartnett, Aaron Eckhart, Scarlett Johansson (Full Cast)

Studio: Universal Pictures

The Plot: In 1940s Los Angeles, a beautiful young actress is murdered, mutilated, and her corpse cut up into pieces and scattered in a vacant lot; two cops (Hartnett and Eckhart) investigate and are drawn into a seamy world of sex and violence. Based on the legendary unsolved true story and the unsettling novel by James Ellroy (LA Confidential).

THE BUZZ: Neither Johansson nor Swank are playing the mysterious "Black Dahlia" -- that would be Mia Kirshner, Jenny of "The L Word" fame, appearing only in flashbacks. Slated to go before the camera back in 2004, the movie was originally meant to star Hartnett and Mark Wahlberg; when financing problems delayed production, Walberg skipped over to the Italian Job, and the dreamy Eckhart brought on board. Can De Palma resurrect his career yet again? Even if he can't, the whole movie sounds lusciously creepy in a way only De Palma can pull off. P.S. It was here that real-life couple Hartnett and Johansson got things going, and news from the film's Cannes premiere indicate that an explicit sex scene with the two stars nearly overshadows the story's turns and twists

The Last Kiss

Director: Tony Goldwyn

Stars: Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson (Full Cast)

Studio: DreamWorks SKG

The Plot: Years of cohabitation and a wandering heart cause Michael (Braff) to question his relationship with his pregnant girlfriend, Jenna (Barrett).

THE BUZZ: If this film succeeds, credit is due largely to Braff's podcast series, which proved to be a publicist's best asset. But don't expect a heady, existential ride similar to Garden State; this remake of Gabriele Muccino's L'Ultimo bacio is reportedly a depressing coming-of-age drama influenced by an unwise affair. And we hear the ending might be rather ambiguous. It's one of many high-profile roles for Barrett this year; Braff, meanwhile, is prepping his second film as a director, Open Hearts, a remake of the recent critically acclaimed Dogme film

The Last Kiss

Director: Tony Goldwyn

Stars: Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson (Full Cast)

Studio: DreamWorks SKG

The Plot: Years of cohabitation and a wandering heart cause Michael (Braff) to question his relationship with his pregnant girlfriend, Jenna (Barrett).

THE BUZZ: If this film succeeds, credit is due largely to Braff's podcast series, which proved to be a publicist's best asset. But don't expect a heady, existential ride similar to Garden State; this remake of Gabriele Muccino's L'Ultimo bacio is reportedly a depressing coming-of-age drama influenced by an unwise affair. And we hear the ending might be rather ambiguous. It's one of many high-profile roles for Barrett this year; Braff, meanwhile, is prepping his second film as a director, Open Hearts, a remake of the recent critically acclaimed Dogme film

Confetti

Director: Debbie Isitt

Stars: Martin Freeman, Jessica Stevenson (Full Cast)

Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures

The Plot: Three couples battle it out to win the honor of having the "Most Original Wedding of the Year."

THE BUZZ: Finally, Brits are stealing from Americans (namely, Christopher Guest), so this is our chance to say "our humor just doesn't translate." Fox Searchlight bought this film after screening a mere 20 minutes of footage at Cannes, though we think the studio currently is too busy promoting Little Miss Sunshine to tend to their import. Can we all agree, however, that Martin Freeman is the dreamiest?

.S. vs. John Lennon [LA/NY]

Director: David Leaf John Scheinfeld

Stars: John Lennon, Yoko Ono (Full Cast)

Studio: Lions Gate Films

The Plot: A documentary on the life of John Lennon, with a focus on the time in his life when he transformed from a musician into an antiwar activist.

THE BUZZ: Pop culture archivists Leaf and Scheinfeld have cranked out a handfuls music-obsessed documentaries and specials over the last ten years, and now the co-directors gear up for what's sure to be their most high profile project since Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of Smile. Lionsgate, in an agreement with the filmmakers and Yoko Ono, have reproduced Lennon and Ono's anti-Vietnam War billboards to market the film; they've even built a website for Nutopia, the country Lennon and Ono conceptualized when the U.S. tried to deport him

The Ground Truth [limited]

Director: Patricia Foulkrod

Stars: Herold Noel, Robert Acosta, Sean Huze (Full Cast)

Studio: Focus Features

The Plot: A documentary on a group of Iraq war veterans, from their recruitment and missions through their return home and different experiences with reacclimating to everyday life.

THE BUZZ: Focus Features' day-and-date rollout for Patricia Foulkrod's documentary is becoming more controversial than the subject of her work. Focus has partnered with Universal Home Entertainment for a September 26 DVD release; the 11-day gap has theaters crying Bubble, so no wonder the only chain that has picked up the film thus far is Landmark Entertainment (who released Steven Soderbergh's recent pile of dolls). Of course here's the difference between this this low-profile documentary and that higher-profile expriement: people might flock to an unsanitized look at men churned through the American military, while few were interested in a murder mystery starring unknown actors. And, right -- dolls.

Message Boards

Photos | Message Boards | User Comments | Reviews

Haven [limited]

Director: Frank E. Flowers

Stars: Bill Paxton, Agnes Bruckner, Orlando Bloom (Full Cast)

Studio: Freestyle Releasing LLC

The Plot: Acting on a tip, a shady businessman (Paxton) grabs his daughter (Bruckner) and flees to the Cayman Islands to avoid the feds. Their fate is tied to that of a local guy (Bloom) who is destined to commit a crime that will rock the nation.

THE BUZZ: Reviews from the film festival circuit indicate writer-director Frank E. Flowers has made a mess in his debut. Most people cite his poor usage of Rashomon structure as the film's main fault, as well as his inability to bring his many

Photos | Message Boards | User Comments | Reviews

Haven [limited]

Director: Frank E. Flowers

Stars: Bill Paxton, Agnes Bruckner, Orlando Bloom (Full Cast)

Studio: Freestyle Releasing LLC

The Plot: Acting on a tip, a shady businessman (Paxton) grabs his daughter (Bruckner) and flees to the Cayman Islands to avoid the feds. Their fate is tied to that of a local guy (Bloom) who is destined to commit a crime that will rock the nation.

THE BUZZ: Reviews from the film festival circuit indicate writer-director Frank E. Flowers has made a mess in his debut. Most people cite his poor usage of Rashomon structure as the film's main fault, as well as his inability to bring his many

Aurora Borealis [limited]

Director: James C.E. Burke

Stars: Joshua Jackson, Donald Sutherland, Juliette Lewis (Full Cast)

Studio: Regent Releasing

The Plot: When his grandfather (Sutherland) falls ill, slacker Duncan Shorter (Jackson) takes a job as the handyman of his grandparents' building so he can be close to them. His slow maturation is assisted by the home nurse (Lewis) who is hired as the old codger's therapist.

THE BUZZ: James Burke has helped produce some heavy dramas (Levity,, Thirteen Conversations About One Thing), so the themes and metaphors here should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with either film. We hear Jackson's manliness and Lewis's restraint carry the film through its bulky midsection, and Sutherland's stagey performance enlivens a couple flat scenes. Curiousity could serve this film well

Beer League [limited]

Director: Frank Sebastiano

Stars: Artie Lange, Ralph Macchio, Anthony DeSando (Full Cast)

Studio: Echo Bridge Entertainment LLC

The Plot: A crass, unemployed, freeloading slacker (Lange) leads his softball teammates in a loser-walks showdown against their archenemies.

THE BUZZ: Artie Lange, the cronie from "Mad TV," "Norm," and "Howard TV on Demand," drafted a roster of friends and industry vets for his low-budget, lower-concept sports comedy -- The Benchwarmers meets Beerfest meets zero expectations. Although we hear Seymour Cassel plays it like Betty White in

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Director: Adam McKay

Stars: Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen (Full Cast)

The Plot: #1 NASCAR driver Ricky Bobby (Ferrell) stays atop the heap thanks to a pact with his best friend and teammate, Cal Naughton, Jr. (Reilly). But when a French Formula One driver (Cohen), makes his way up the ladder, Ricky Bobby's talent and devotion are put to the test.

User Rating:

THE BUZZ: Jeez, all the product placement in the poster alone must've covered production costs ... Ferrell, doing PR in costume months in advance of the movie's release, looks to regain his title as the people's champ after going 0-for-a-lot in 2005. We're happy to see he's co-written the screenplay with McKay, who directed (and co-wrote) Ferrell's last popular movie, Anchorman. This is a safe project -- a de facto hit, thanks to NASCAR's brand essence, but we're looking forward to watching Ferrell play off his co-stars here, especially Sacha Baron Cohen, who's warming up to take over America with

Mann's crime drama delivers, 19 January 2001

Author: mkrusc from Los Angeles, CA

'Heat,' a film of epic proportions on a common placed scale, provides all the essentials of a great crime drama and then some. With a fascinating storyline, involving characters, and Mann's sometimes poetic, sometimes gritty directing, 'Heat' is arguably one of the best crime dramas.

Perhaps the most unique feature of this movie is its manifold storyline, which focuses primarily on the main characters: Vincent Hanna and Neil McCauley. Because of this complex storyline, it almost seems as if one is watching two movies, with one about each of the two characters. While following Hanna's personal life, the movie shows how it is about more than just a cop in pursuit of a criminal. Hanna's marriage is deteriorating, his step daughter is falling apart, and, as wife Justine says, he lives his life more among the "remnants of dead people." A man of two other failed marriages, Hanna's story is that of the strain of trying to fulfill both his professional and personal, where, every time, the professional wins out. Neil McCauley's story is that of a man who used to know his role: his job. Everything in his life revolved around making the next score (whether it be large or small). His story chronicles his relationships with the other men in his crew, and his relationship with Eady, his girlfriend who does not know all she should about him. The tensions build as Mann shows the two opposing strategies of each man as their paths (and thus their stories) draw closer together. When the two storylines do meet (at different points in the movie), the result is--for lack of a better word--epic. To say that these two major storylines are the only strong ones of the movie would do injustice to the many others (following Chris and his wife, for example); but to say that they are the driving force of the movie, to say that they are responsible for transforming a typical cops-and-robbers story is the best explanation.

The Best of Burton-Depp, 21 April 2004

Author: Miles Charrier from London, England

Without question it's Tim Burton's best, most complete work and Johnny Depp is superb. Perhaps it's the total understanding of his subject that allows Tim Burton to fly so high here. The beautifully tailored script gives room for some exquisite character drawings, Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi, Vincent D'Onofrio as Orson Wells. "When you re-write a script it gets better and better" tells Ed/Johnny to his girlfriend with a smile full of innocence. What a performance! Johnny Depp is a unique kind of actor, we never had anyone quite like him. How can he manage to disappear behind a character and still bring with him his full bag of tricks, I don't know, but he does. I only wish he wouldn't get lost in mediocrities like "Nick of Time" "The Astronaut's Wife" and "Secret Window" He belongs to the world of real, great filmmakers. Better to risk with an original idea by Emir Kusturica than a "safe", tired, Stephen King thing. Johnny, remember, we're looking at you for clues about ourselves

Another haunting movie masterpiece from Kurosawa., 8 July 2003

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia

In my opinion 'Throne Of Blood' is almost as brilliant as Kurosawa's more celebrated 'Rashomon'. It's almost impossible to fault this brilliant adaptation of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth'. It's the most compelling version of the story I have seen, even better than Polanski's outstanding film of the early 1970s, which until seeing 'Throne Of Blood' was my favourite. Kurosawa is without doubt one of the greatest film makers of all time, and watching this movie is experiencing a master at work. Toshiro Mifune gives another brilliant performance and Isuzu Yamada, who plays his wife (the equivalent of the Lady Macbeth character) is absolutely chilling. The stylized acting combined with the superb cinematography gives this movie a frightening nightmarish feel, yet the characters are always human. This makes it a very powerful and haunting movie. I don't seem to see 'Throne Of Blood' mentioned a lot as one of Kurosawa's best, but I was incredibly impressed by it, and it comes with my highest recommendation. This is a brilliant movie and to call it a masterpiece is no exaggeration.

The Best of Burton-Depp, 21 April 2004

Author: Miles Charrier from London, England

Without question it's Tim Burton's best, most complete work and Johnny Depp is superb. Perhaps it's the total understanding of his subject that allows Tim Burton to fly so high here. The beautifully tailored script gives room for some exquisite character drawings, Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi, Vincent D'Onofrio as Orson Wells. "When you re-write a script it gets better and better" tells Ed/Johnny to his girlfriend with a smile full of innocence. What a performance! Johnny Depp is a unique kind of actor, we never had anyone quite like him. How can he manage to disappear behind a character and still bring with him his full bag of tricks, I don't know, but he does. I only wish he wouldn't get lost in mediocrities like "Nick of Time" "The Astronaut's Wife" and "Secret Window" He belongs to the world of real, great filmmakers. Better to risk with an original idea by Emir Kusturica than a "safe", tired, Stephen King thing. Johnny, remember, we're looking at you for clues about ourselves

Terry Gilliam: Visionary - 12 Monkeys: Vision, 24 April 1999

Author: Kyle Milligan (toldyaso@planeteer.com) from Toronto, Canada

I had the privilege of seeing this film at a preview screening years ago, and outside the theater I was confronted by a camera crew from a local TV station looking for comments on the film. At the time, the only words that escaped my mouth were "Awesome. Just awesome." I like to think I can articulate myself a little better than that, but at the time I was somewhat incapable of doing so.

The story is intriguing and thought provoking, and the acting is first rate from all the principals. This film was the first one that Terry Gilliam directed that he didn't have a hand in the writing credit for. Back with Universal after his long, arduous battle with them over "Brazil", Terry had achieved what he wanted most; the "final cut". Terry is a master craftsman, and each shot is like a beautifully conceived painting that has been constructed carefully with determination and conviction. It is only justice that such an individual should be unfettered in his attempts to convey a concept. Unfortunately, limitations still exist in such arrangemen

They weren't just making a film when they made this one.... they were inventing rules and ideas that would be followed for decades to come., 28 October 2004

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnabyrudge@hotmail.com) from Wakefield, England

How many films can truly be said to be definitive? The answer is probably "not many", but the original 1933 version of King Kong is certainly one of them. For its time, every aspect is innovative. First-of-their-kind special effects, first-of-its-kind plot, famous performances and a final sequence that remains unequalled as an eye-popping cinematic experience. The quality of cinematography and visual trickery has progressed a long way since 1933 - so the special effects obviously look rather primitive to 21st Century eyes - but anyone with a shred of common sense will still be astounded by what they see. This is movie history in the making. Had this never been made, the whole history of films may have taken a different course.

My favourite Coen brothers movie and one of the most entertaining and original comedies ever made!, 27 December 2002

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia

My favourite Coen brothers movie changes over the years as I watch and rewatch their amazingly original and consistently surprising oeuvre. When I first saw 'The Big Lebowski' on its original release I enjoyed it but thought it was a bit of a slight "fun" movie with less depth than many of their previous works. Now, a few years and several viewing later, I have come to realise just how accomplished a movie it is, and it has become one of my all time favourite movies. Other film makers have attempted to weave together various genres, styles and images in a similarly eclectic, postmodern fashion, but few do it as seamlessly and with such wit as Ethan and Joel Coen. 'The Big Lewboski' is an extremely smart film, but it doesn't shout "look at me! Aren't I clever?". It sucks you in from the get go, and bottom line it is FUNNY, and as it is a comedy that's what counts the most! Everything about the movie is perfect, the script, the direction, set design, costumes, and the wonderful soundtrack (one of the most brilliant ever assembled, it includes lesser known Dylan and Elvis Costello numbers, Creedence classics, and songs from cult favourites like Yma Sumac, Captain Beefheart, Moondog, Esquivel and garage gods The Monks). Plus of course the actors, who are well cast and virtually flawless. Jeff Bridges ('Fat City', 'Starman') IS The Dude, and it's impossible to think of anyone else acting the role. Coen regulars John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, John Turturro, Peter Stomare, and Jon Polito are all on board, as well as Julianne Moore ('Boogie Nights'), David Huddleston ('Capricorn One'), Philip Seymour Hoffman ('Magnolia') and Sam Elliot ('Mask'), even surprise cameos from Ben Gazzara ('The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie') and singer Jimmie Ray Gilmore. I can't fault 'The Big Lebowski', it is one of the most original and entertaining comedies ever made and a genuine modern classic. It's movies like this that keep me watching despite the endless mountain of mindless garbage that Hollywood continually spews out. If only every movie in the box office Top Ten was as inspired and amusing as this one!

The truth about the Exorcist., 21 September 2005

Author: jaywriterXIII from USA

There's a lot of anxiety that goes into viewing The Exorcist, "the scariest movie ever made", for the very first time. And with that anxiety comes a lot of expectations and preconceived ideas about what The Exorcist *should* be. Especially for someone born after the film. Then on top of that waited years before finally seeing it.

I love the Exorcist, and after exposure to God knows how many horror films, the Exorcist remains my favorite within the genre. And even from a die-hard fan I have to admit, I hate hearing "scariest movie of all time" associated with this movie.

The Hobbit:

MGM is planning to make J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, THE HOBBIT, but according to the article on Variety, they're planning "one or two installments" that they'll be teaming with New Line to produce and that they hope will be directed by Peter Jackson.

Temeraire:

Peter Jackson, looking to fill his upcoming production plate, has optioned the rights to the fantasy novel series TEMERAIRE from rookie writer Naomi Novik. The "Temeraire" saga reimagines the world of the Napoleonic Wars with the addition of an air force of dragons and valiant aviators. It centers on British naval Capt. Will Laurence, who captures a French ship, where he discovers an unhatched dragon egg in the hold -- a gift from the Emperor of China intended for Napoleon. When the egg hatches, he is forced to give up his naval career to become captain of the dragon he names Temeraire. The three books in the series - "His Majesty's Dragon," "Throne of Jade" and "Black Powder War" - were released in mass market paperback earlier this year. Novik is currently writing the fourth installment in the TEMERAIRE series.''

The Mummy 3:

Brendan Fraser agreed to reprise his role in the upcoming Joe Johnston-directed third installment in THE MUMMY franchise. At the time it was unclear whether Rachel Weisz would also be reprising her role but French site Ecran Large recently caught up with Weisz and she expressed interest in coming back for the sequel. The "new script" is one penned by "Smallville" creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. In it, the family (with their now grown-up son) is pitted against the recently-revived first emperor of China Qin Shihuang as he seeks vengeance on those who had turned him to stone.

Edited by sickness

The Covenant

post-72197-1158134497.jpg

In 1692, in the Ipswich Colony of Massachusetts, five families with untold power formed a covenant of silence. One family, lusting for more, was banished - their bloodline disappearing without a trace. Until now. Directed by Renny Harlin and written by J.S. Cardone, THE COVENANT tells the story of the Sons of Ipswich, four young students at the elite Spenser Academy who are bound by their sacred ancestry. As descendants of the original families who settled in Ipswich Colony in the 1600’s, the boys have all been born with special powers. When the body of a dead student is discovered after a party, secrets begin to unravel which threaten to break the covenant of silence that has protected their families for hundreds of years.

The Goonies 2 (TBA)

Synopsis:

This is the sequel to the 1985 classic. The sequel would reunite the original cast, which included Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Josh Brolin and others, with a new bunch of suburban kids, Donner said. "The new group is called the Groonies, because they happen to live in a town where [Data], the Chinese kid, lives ... and he's got an electronics repair shop and all the kids hang out at his shop. He has this Chinese accent and he calls the Goonies the Groonies, and so the new kids call themselves the Groonies, until they get into a situation where the old Goonies have to save the new Groonies, or vice versa."

To Be Announced

Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci

Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Jeff Cohen, Corey Feldman, Kerry Green, Martha Plimpton, Jonathan Ke Quan

Warner Bros.

Action, Adventure, Family

Gridiron Gang

Director: Phil Joanou

Stars: The Rock, Xzibit (Full Cast)

The Plot: A counselor (The Rock) at Camp Kilpatrick, a juvenile detention center in LA, launches a football program to help rehabilitate a group of young inmates. After weeks of rigorous training, the Kilpatrick Mustangs look to compete against area high schools, where coaches and players alike are wary of mixing it up with criminals.

Everyone's Hero

Director: Colin Brady Christopher Reeve

Stars: Jake T. Austin, Brian Dennehy, Whoopi Goldberg (Full Cast)

Studio: Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation

The Plot: A boy travels across the country on a mission to return Babe Ruth's bat before the deciding game of the 1932 World Series.

THE BUZZ: Animation vets Brady and St. Pierre stepped up to the plate for this one after original director Christopher Reeve died in October 2004. As a tribute, Fox picked up Reeve's pet project originally titled "Yankee Irving" and hired a great voice cast, including Reeves' widow, Dana, who sadly also passed away before the film's completion. Despite its heart-breaking heritage, this film will undoubtedly be a real heartwarmer. But, bring a tissue for the special dedication during the final credits, just in case