• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Best way to secure important files in your computer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best way is to have external backups. The best is nas, it's expensive, but it's worth it.

Also make sure your os and antivirus are orig (not pirated). Yung iba kahit pirated okay lang hehe. Update your antivirus frequently and scan frequently, especially when you are using a flash drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

stated in most replies is that you can use encryption. this is the best option i think, but take note that there are some slight drawbacks when using encryption:

- it is easier done when the drives are fresh (it is easier to encrypt a clean drive than to encrypt a drive with existing data. from my experience it took me almost a day to enable bit locker for one of my unencrypted drives)

- you will have a slight or minimal performance drop since your computer has to decrypt the data before processing it (but you won't notice this unless you are working with very large files). the performance drop will be proportional to the length of the encryption key or strength of encryption.

- if you lose your keys, your disk and all the data stored will be pretty much useless to you also

another way to keep files safe (i learned this trick from my previous office mates):

- create a virtual machine which is password protected and hide the virtual machine (you may also opt to encrypt the virtual drive of the virtual machine)

- store your important files inside the virtual machine you created

- if your computer can handle it, you can install a virtual machine inside of the virtual you just created (VM-Inception? :) ) and store your precious data inside that nested virtual machine.

hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...