South China/West Philippine Sea

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filipino military boats??????????? The Philippine Coast Guard under the Dept. of Transportation and Communications and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources under the Dept. of Agriculture operating MILITARY BOATS?????????

The US has a Department of Foreign Affairs???????

International Sea Lanes in Batanes Waters???????

PCG-BFAR Personnel ignorant of the protocols and rules of engagement?????

What have you been sniffing??? Rugby??? Glue??? Mighty bond??? Heated cough syrup??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Problem remains that the object of your investigation is not in custody. Likewise, your attempt to plug the cultural environment reflective of your childhood background makes for weak character and lack of credibility. Shooting a picture with GPS and time stamp would have been a lot better response than attacking and forcing intruders to flee the scene for fear of loss of their lives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

The investigation regarding the incident is still ongoing, plus let me point out some facts, namely;

1.) The PCG did not intentionally k*ll that fisherman. It was an accident. They were aiming for the ship's engine and didn't even know they hit someone till they got back to port. your phrase "our coast guard already fired on and killed a taiwanese fisherman," has a certain slant that to the uninitiated, would come out as our coasties deliberately targeted that fisherman.

2.) Far from our shores??? Please check the coordinates again. They were within the vicinity of Batanes, that's why the area was being patrolled by the PCG on BFAR ships.

3.) No provocation??? Says who??? Them Taiwanese??? Of course they'll say that. For their politicians to admit otherwise would be political suicide. For the record, the PCG has saved countless Taiwanese lives who get in trouble in those waters, and then all of a sudden they turn into non thinking mongoloids and just shoot at anybody???

4.) Abnoy not commenting on the issue because "He's busy campaigning" is quite... well, let's just put it this way, i don't like Abnoy, i didn't even vote for the guy, voted for his cousin instead, but as time goes by, the way he handles incidents regarding our security and disputed areas, he's winning over a lot of skeptics both inside and outside the Military and Security Forces of the country. He has his abnormalities, i mean who doesn't, but when it comes to Military and Foreign Affairs, he's doing good. Besides, like i said, let's just wait for the results of the official investigation. You wouldn't want our President stooping down to the Taiwanese President's level diba? Issuing ultimatums and ordering their navy and coast guard to the proximity of the area just to satisfy his citizenry. Bandang huli nyan sila pa magmumukhang eng-eng dahil sa over-reaction nila na sila naman din ang mali.

within the vicinity of batanes? it was 160 miles from the philippines. that may be within our 200-mile eez. but wait...isn't that also 160 miles from taiwan? there is an overlap in this area, and both philippine and taiwanese fishermen are in these waters.

our coast guard shot up a wooden boat because they were afraid the fishermen were going to ram their boat. that was the statement. they were afraid a wooden fishing boat might ram our steel boat and so thought it necessary to open fire. sure, let's wait for the investigation. but you'd have to admit, it's not looking good for us.

not commenting after that other fiasco where chinese tourists were killed in that quirino grandstand hostage crisis are burned into the chinese/taiwanese consciousness...well, that's real presidential. what's wrong with making a statement that our government will get to the bottom of the incident and assuring taiwan that justice will be sought. yun lang naman kailangan sabihin.

yeah his keeping mum really works and our president is truly winning over skeptics...except for the non-pinoy skeptics who now control panatag shoal.

Edited by dungeonbaby

Sarap banatan yung mga taiwanese ngayon... Parang mga ogag lang sila na nga trespasser sila pa nagyayabang.

Hindi dapat ganon. Be level headed. unang-una kahit na aksidente, tayo nakapatay. Ang bottom line naman ng incident na to eh mag-aapologize naman talaga tayo, who wouldn't for decency's sake. ang di lang maganda is the Taiwanese people abetted by their media na nagpadala sa emotions nila, then you have their politicians...

plus the fact na ang OA ng reaction nila kesyo ultimatum dito, naval drills jan and what not. What many people here don't understand is that sudden bursts of emotions have always got people killed.

within the vicinity of batanes? it was 160 miles from the philippines. that may be within our 200-mile eez. but wait...isn't that also 160 miles from taiwan? there is an overlap in this area, and both philippine and taiwanese fishermen are in these waters.

our coast guard shot up a wooden boat because they were afraid the fishermen were going to ram their boat. that was the statement. they were afraid a wooden fishing boat might ram our steel boat and so thought it necessary to open fire. sure, let's wait for the investigation. but you'd have to admit, it's not looking good for us.

not commenting after that other fiasco where chinese tourists were killed in that quirino grandstand hostage crisis are burned into the chinese/taiwanese consciousness...well, that's real presidential. yeah his keeping mum really works and our president is truly winning over skeptics...except for the non-pinoy skeptics who now control panatag shoal.

160 Miles from the Philippines??????

It happened 43 Miles east of Balintang Island which is in the Balintang Channel. Said Channel almost being equidistant in between Batanes and the Babuyan Islands. Don't believe all the crap that Taiwanese media say. They even ERASED BATANES from the map just so that it would look that their ship is in international waters. Go find a map, look at the spot and don't tell me that it is part of our EEZ. No Ma'am, those waters are our TERRITORIAL waters, not our EEZ.

Ramming is considered an AGGRESSIVE act by mariners the world over. Now Ramming a law enforcement vessel while doing it's mandate inside it's own TERRITORIAL waters and ignoring said law enforcement's vessel hails on open maritime radio frequency and its onboard sirens and megaphones from the crew is well....

Not looking good for us??????? Our country projected a Mature image on the world stage after the incident unlike Taiwan's behavior after the incident which is like a kid who threw a tantrum after the toy that kid wants was not bought by its parents.

Hindi dapat ganon. Be level headed. unang-una kahit na aksidente, tayo nakapatay. Ang bottom line naman ng incident na to eh mag-aapologize naman talaga tayo, who wouldn't for decency's sake. ang di lang maganda is the Taiwanese people abetted by their media na nagpadala sa emotions nila, then you have their politicians...

plus the fact na ang OA ng reaction nila kesyo ultimatum dito, naval drills jan and what not. What many people here don't understand is that sudden bursts of emotions have always got people killed.

Better said than done?

Better said than done?

Already done. Despite Taiwan's tantrums and their antics in the US State Department to which their people were rebuked by 2 different State Department spokespersons on 2 different occasions, we have been level headed in this issue. And oh, haven't you heard, the Philippine Representative at our MECO in Taipei already offered our government's apologies to the fisherman's family.

Problem remains that the object of your investigation is not in custody. Likewise, your attempt to plug the cultural environment reflective of your childhood background makes for weak character and lack of credibility. Shooting a picture with GPS and time stamp would have been a lot better response than attacking and forcing intruders to flee the scene for fear of loss of their lives.

Object of investigation not in custody???

The PCG and BFAR personnel are now / on the way to Manila for the investigation. Taiwanese investigators will fly here to get their statements and also Filipino investigators are Taiwan bound to get the crew's statements and take pictures of their ship.

My attempt to plug my blah blah blah...

Mister if you're gonna review every Law enforcement, security and military thread here in Manilatonight, my insights because of my "Childhood Background" as you say it, most of the time is what keeps these discussions within the realm of facts and not fantasy.

Shooting a picture with GPS and time stamp would have been a lot better response than attacking and forcing intruders to flee the scene for fear of loss of their lives.

Sure... shoot some pics and GPS time stamps etc etc.... "Hey Mr. Poacher that we just caught inside our territorial waters, can you please park your boat aside ours so that' we'll get a nice juicy picture of you with your illegal catch inside our territory..." Sure it happens but once they are apprehended. Try doing that when said Mr. Poacher's on his way to ram his boat against yours despite repeated hailing on international maritime frequency, sounding of sirens and bullhorns while performing your duty.

for fear of loss of their lives

This really takes the cake.... The PCG has SAVED countless Taiwanese fishermen in distress both within our waters and international waters for many years... if i was perp driving a 15 year old Kia Pride and I attempted to RAM a PNP Highway Patrol Group Altis after a 4 hour chase, then damn, i'll be really afraid for my life... But if i just pulled over and asked what my violation was, why would i be afraid?

It happened 43 Miles east of Balintang Island which is in the Balintang Channel. Said Channel almost being equidistant in between Batanes and the Babuyan Islands. Don't believe all the crap that Taiwanese media say. They even ERASED BATANES from the map just so that it would look that their ship is in international waters. Go find a map, look at the spot and don't tell me that it is part of our EEZ. No Ma'am, those waters are our TERRITORIAL waters, not our EEZ.

Ramming is considered an AGGRESSIVE act by mariners the world over. Now Ramming a law enforcement vessel while doing it's mandate inside it's own TERRITORIAL waters and ignoring said law enforcement's vessel hails on open maritime radio frequency and its onboard sirens and megaphones from the crew is well....

Not looking good for us??????? Our country projected a Mature image on the world stage after the incident unlike Taiwan's behavior after the incident which is like a kid who threw a tantrum after the toy that kid wants was not bought by its parents.

If the intruding vessel had been deep within the Philippine territory as you say, then there is no excuse for a better boat not to capture the intruding vessel. Fact is the ensuing chase left the Filipinos biting the dust instead.

Knowing how incompetent men in uniform can become, similar to the Quirino Grandstand Hostage Crisis that left a truck load of dead innocent victims, government better realize that the public cannot stomach ineptitude much more die for flimsy excuses if ever the need for war becomes inevitable.

Taiwan remains a separate and independent state from the Chinese mainland so quit confusing the two parties. Taiwan is renowned to be the world's largest supplier of luxury yachts that rivals the best in terms of technology, speed and comfort. We do not want to set the stage where both countries start a race to protect and guard their borders much like the Berlin Wall had been during the Cold War. The path to peace and harmony is to respect the existing sea lanes rather than enforce imaginary ownership of the sea that will isolate this country and China from the rest of the ASEAN.

A handful of Filipinos collaborated with elements of the communist party of China in its drive to claim remote islands like Spratlys. Even the news headlines expose our President as initially consenting when China officially moved its territorial boundary. Truth is the Chinese paid a billion to cooperate with Filipinos in oil exploration on Spratlys and this alone is proof that initially, they have acknowledged that the territory is not theirs. Otherwise, the Chinese would not even pay that amount to Filipinos on what is supposedly Chinese patrimony. Regional peace and order is strained by the Chinese claim on Spratlys and its insistence to create new borders.

you're right about the distance from balintang island, but the distance from taiwan's mainland is still about 160 miles. note that taiwan also has islands in the area (meaning you can measure from their coasts as well) and both nations claim surrounding waters as theirs. apparently, this is why there is no fishing agreement in this area between the two nations.

since you're the expert on this issue, answer this:

1. what was the provocative act made by a 15-tonne, wooden fishing boat - that probably only went at a maximum speed of 6 knots - that justified shooting?

2. is the mere "attempt to ram" (vs. actual ramming) a steel boat by a wooden boat a provocative act warranting shooting into a boat?

3. if only warning shots were fired as the coast guard first claimed was all it intended in some reports, why was the fisherman killed?

4. why did our coast guard say they were aiming for the engine when the engine is deep in the boat under water? shouldn't they have shot at the rudder instead?

5. did our coast guard chase the fishing boat for one hour? and if they did, to what end?

6. how is it that we lost panatag shoal (where we actually caught chinese fishermen poaching illegally)? was it because we could not handle the chinese blockade but we can surely handle small fishing boats? is this how we choose what do defend these days, by picking where we have the upper hand in might?

as for your claim that we are surfacing as the mature ones for not reacting like a child to this, do you feel our actions that ended in a 65-year old fisherman's death were mature?

like i said, things are not looking good for us, we are already paying for this senseless act economically with taiwan's actions versus our ofw's. taiwan could also revive with renewed vigor the dispute over these areas. something that might have been avoided had we just SAID the right things IMMEDIATELY like their government wanted.

if we were smart, we would pay compensation to the fisherman's family and end the story there.

Edited by dungeonbaby

you're right about the distance from balintang island, but the distance from taiwan's mainland is still about 160 miles. note that taiwan also has islands in the area (meaning you can measure from their coasts as well) and both nations claim surrounding waters as theirs. apparently, this is why there is no fishing agreement in this area between the two nations.

since you're the expert on this issue, answer this:

1. what was the provocative act made by a 15-tonne, wooden fishing boat - that probably only went at a maximum speed of 6 knots - that justified shooting?

2. is the mere "attempt to ram" (vs. actual ramming) a steel boat by a wooden boat a provocative act warranting shooting into a boat?

3. if only warning shots were fired as the coast guard first claimed was all it intended in some reports, why was the fisherman killed?

4. why did our coast guard say they were aiming for the engine when the engine is deep in the boat under water? shouldn't they have shot at the rudder instead?

5. did our coast guard chase the fishing boat for one hour? and if they did, to what end?

6. how is it that we lost panatag shoal (where we actually caught chinese fishermen poaching illegally)? was it because we could not handle the chinese blockade but we can surely handle small fishing boats? is this how we choose what do defend these days, by picking where we have the upper hand in might?

as for your claim that we are surfacing as the mature ones for not reacting like a child to this, do you feel our actions that ended in a 65-year old fisherman's death were mature?

like i said, things are not looking good for us, we are already paying for this senseless act economically with taiwan's actions versus our ofw's. taiwan could also revive with renewed vigor the dispute over these areas. something that might have been avoided had we just SAID the right things IMMEDIATELY like their government wanted.

if we we're smart, we would pay compensation to the fisherman's family and end the story there.

I wonder if enusing events would have been the same if it had been a PROC ship and mainland fishermen who were involved in this shooting. Would mainland China have displayed the same level of restraint as their Taiwanese counterparts? I shudder to think about this scenario.

if anything, we are being inconsistent. and we are being inconsistent on the wrong side. it's one thing for a country like the US, for example, to come into our waters and fish illegally. it's quite another for neighboring islands, whose people look like each other and conduct trade with one another, to have their people killed in waters they've traditionally shared. yes, our fishermen are in their waters, too. vicvic villavicencio, if i recall correctly, has a fishing camp in the area and his sari-sari store is stocked with 80% taiwan products. meaning, that's how close we are to taiwan.

besides, anyone that's been out to sea knows that when you approach a fisherman's nets, he will chase you off and even appear, at times, to attempt to ram you. what most yachties don't realize is that fishing boats have the right of way in a lot of cases. they have the right of way vs vessels like a sailboat or a container ship. at the very least, extreme tolerance should have been afforded to the fishing vessel - warning shots over the bow if it did not respond to calls, and then shooting at his rudder located at the end of the boat where you are not likely to hit anyone - not aiming at his "machinery" which i suppose is the latest term now for the engine.

now taiwan has said it will go to war with the philippines in 72 hours if an apology is not issued by the government. no surprise there, taiwan has a quick trigger for having been bullied by china for so long.

it demands, not an apology from the filipino people, which is what our diplomats issued, but a real apology from our president who has already let one deadline pass, and caused economic sanctions to be taken against our ofw's.

NOW, are we, as a people, prepared to bleed for this week-old incident which could have been resolved quickly if we had been more mature and signified immediately our sincere apologies for the life lost and promised a full-blown investigation into the matter? yun lang naman ang hiningi ng taiwan - ang proper handling of the case.

siguro okey lang ang lahat ng ito kay Noynoy kasi naipasok naman nya sa senado ang mga bata nya.

Edited by dungeonbaby

If the intruding vessel had been deep within the Philippine territory as you say, then there is no excuse for a better boat not to capture the intruding vessel. Fact is the ensuing chase left the Filipinos biting the dust instead.

Knowing how incompetent men in uniform can become, similar to the Quirino Grandstand Hostage Crisis that left a truck load of dead innocent victims, government better realize that the public cannot stomach ineptitude much more die for flimsy excuses if ever the need for war becomes inevitable.

Taiwan remains a separate and independent state from the Chinese mainland so quit confusing the two parties. Taiwan is renowned to be the world's largest supplier of luxury yachts that rivals the best in terms of technology, speed and comfort. We do not want to set the stage where both countries start a race to protect and guard their borders much like the Berlin Wall had been during the Cold War. The path to peace and harmony is to respect the existing sea lanes rather than enforce imaginary ownership of the sea that will isolate this country and China from the rest of the ASEAN.

A handful of Filipinos collaborated with elements of the communist party of China in its drive to claim remote islands like Spratlys. Even the news headlines expose our President as initially consenting when China officially moved its territorial boundary. Truth is the Chinese paid a billion to cooperate with Filipinos in oil exploration on Spratlys and this alone is proof that initially, they have acknowledged that the territory is not theirs. Otherwise, the Chinese would not even pay that amount to Filipinos on what is supposedly Chinese patrimony. Regional peace and order is strained by the Chinese claim on Spratlys and its insistence to create new borders.

WTF????? Me confusing between between the PRC and ROC???? Are you high on something??? Something in your head's definitely loose. I'm done with you.

if anything, we are being inconsistent. and we are being inconsistent on the wrong side. it's one thing for a country like the US, for example, to come into our waters and fish illegally. it's quite another for neighboring islands, whose people look like each other and conduct trade with one another, to have their people killed in waters they've traditionally shared. yes, our fishermen are in their waters, too. vicvic villavicencio, if i recall correctly, has a fishing camp in the area and his sari-sari store is stocked with 80% taiwan products. meaning, that's how close we are to taiwan.

besides, anyone that's been out to sea knows that when you approach a fisherman's nets, he will chase you off and even appear, at times, to attempt to ram you. what most yachties don't realize is that fishing boats have the right of way in a lot of cases. they have the right of way vs vessels like a sailboat or a container ship. at the very least, extreme tolerance should have been afforded to the fishing vessel - warning shots over the bow if it did not respond to calls, and then shooting at his rudder located at the end of the boat where you are not likely to hit anyone - not aiming at his "machinery" which i suppose is the latest term now for the engine.

now taiwan has said it will go to war with the philippines in 72 hours if an apology is not issued by the government. no surprise there, taiwan has a quick trigger for having been bullied by china for so long.

it demands, not an apology from the filipino people, which is what our diplomats issued, but a real apology from our president who has already let one deadline pass, and caused economic sanctions to be taken against our ofw's.

NOW, are we, as a people, prepared to bleed for this week-old incident which could have been resolved quickly if we had been more mature and signified immediately our sincere apologies for the life lost and promised a full-blown investigation into the matter? yun lang naman ang hiningi ng taiwan - ang proper handling of the case.

siguro okey lang ang lahat ng ito kay Noynoy kasi naipasok naman nya sa senado ang mga bata nya.

Taiwan will go to war with us in 72 hours if the GRP doesn't apologize??? Sure kang yun ang sinabi nila???? Ngek, isa ka pa. Magsama kayo ni Jacuzzi... Hayst.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

The Taiwan president said they want an apology within 72 hours or they will suspend hiring of Filipino workers. I did not hear anything about Taiwan going to War with us.

Our MECO representative in Taiwan did not apologize. He said we offer our sympathies to the family of the deceased, but not our apology (or something to that effect).

So, fine -- stop hiring Filipinos. It's their loss, and comparatively, just another inconvenience to us.

It's only an apology if it involves an envelope with compensation money. Otherwise, its "unacceptable".

I think what is needed urgently is for Philippine government leaders to talk directly with their Taiwanese counterparts, discuss the events that occurred which led to the shooting death of an ROC fisherman, and establish strict guidelines to ensure that this type of incident will never happen again.

Dialogue is now urgent to prevent the situation from worsening. The ultimate goal of this dialogue is to determine what went wrong, what can be done to prevent another similar incident from happening (on both sides) and to abide by all agreements as may have been entered into by both the Philippine Government and the government of to ROC.

We want ROC to be our ally in our squabble with the PROC. China is probably just observing the foregoing and is probably amused at the latest turn of events in this part of the world. What will the next squabble be about the next time? We recently had a potentially dangerous international problem with neighboring Malaysia which caused strain between Manila and Kuala Lumpur and now between Manila and Taiwan.

I believe it's time for another ASEAN conference to discuss all these Important issues and ensuring that ASEAN remains united and solid in their opposition to China.ASEAN must also do what it can to put its bickerings behind..

Edited by Bugatti Veyron

Taiwan will go to war with us in 72 hours if the GRP doesn't apologize??? Sure kang yun ang sinabi nila???? Ngek, isa ka pa. Magsama kayo ni Jacuzzi... Hayst.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

sorry, i misspoke. apparently, i am even quicker to the trigger than taiwan.

my other questions to you still stand, especially these 3:

Edited by dungeonbaby

The Taiwan president said they want an apology within 72 hours or they will suspend hiring of Filipino workers. I did not hear anything about Taiwan going to War with us.

Our MECO representative in Taiwan did not apologize. He said we offer our sympathies to the family of the deceased, but not our apology (or something to that effect).

So, fine -- stop hiring Filipinos. It's their loss, and comparatively, just another inconvenience to us.

yes i heard wrong, it happens. but really, it's taiwan's loss?

It is a good thing that you got an idea what you are talking about. You got the common sense that departed from the self proclaimed expert. Policies got to be consistent for it to hold. There should be limits to shared areas as well as more tolerance for humanitarian reasons such as when nearby vessels must seek shelter in our shores and take cover from typhoon and weather disturbances. Moreover, many foreign fishing vessels come to the country in search for a big catch and have been leaving or setting up buoys inside our territory that got transmitters perhaps used as remote fish finders for the seasonal migration of pelagic fishes. How about our government doing something about that first?

Creating an investigation on an incident that the other party believes got criminal liability is no easy matter and got time consuming legal consequences before any final settlement is done. A poster here who appears authoritative about the incident appears too desperate to clean up the mess yet it will not be that easy especially since the people involved got to face their day in court. I think the best lesson here is our patrols should have been TACTFUL and create sufficient record the whole event by at least confiscating the evidence of illegal fishing rather than shoot to k*ll the offenders who may have been used to lax and almost non existent border patrol for so long.

• Downvote 1

yes i heard wrong, it happens. but really, it's taiwan's loss?

Taiwan benefits more from hiring Filipino workers and caregivers. The workers deployed to Taiwan have enough qualifications to be able to find jobs elsewhere in case Taiwan stops hiring.

Bottom line lang naman jan is that they want a Fishing Agreement with us and they're milking this incident to the very last drop. To their North and West is China and South Korea, East is Japan and we're south of them. Taiwan is a hungry nation that needs the ocean's resources to feed it's people. a couple of weeks ago them Japs, just to ease tensions with their maritime squabble with that place (Taiwan IS NOT a State) they signed a fisheries agreement with them. ang siste ilang araw pa lang meron kaagad epal na taiwanese who violated some provisions hence the Japanese Coast Guard apprehended one of their fishing vessels.

If they asked nicely and didn't act like the a.holes they're acting like now we would have been glad to make such agreement with them just like the Japs inspite of the fact that they are NOT EVEN A STATE to begin with. We have Fishing Agreements with the Malaysians, Indonesians and Papua New Guinea and matino naman silang kausap. Their vessels can fish in our waters and ours on theirs so long as said vessels coordinate with the host nation's maritime law enforcement agencies and said vessels follow the hosts nations maritime laws.

tignan mo naman reaction nila when the incident became public. Bayad agad ng damages and compensation hindi man lang nag demand ng investigation, san ka naman nakakita non??? when our side said we'll investigate first saka lang nag demand ng investigation. hahahaha....

they want an apology, compensation to the fisherman's family AND a Fishing agreement with us. Our country sent it's highest officer in Tawian, the Director of the MECO in said place with an apology and money to the family of the fisherman and they said it wasn't enough! they DEMANDED an OFFICIAL APOLOGY from our Government to theirs. Bakit??? Are you a Nation State that we will address such an apology to you guys???? or baka naman gusto nyo pang lumakad ng paluhod si Perez habang inaabot apology sa sa pamilya nung namatay???

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1239342/former-envoy-lauro-baja-tells-taiwan-remember-who-its-friends-are

A former top Philippines diplomat has urged Taiwan to "remember who its friends are", in comments that appear to suggest Taiwan is ungrateful for Manila's longstanding support for its political autonomy.

"Taiwan should remember we were the first ones to have these informal relations with them and we have substantial relations with them in terms of trade," said Lauro Baja, the former Philippines ambassador to the United Nations.

Baja said he decided to speak out as a citizen because of what he perceived was Taiwan's "overreaction" to the death of one of its fishermen on May 9 when a Philippines coastguard vessel fired at a Taiwanese fishing boat that Manila said was inside Philippine territory.

Baja said that, contrary to Taipei's claims that the incident occurred in disputed territory, Taiwan had long recognised the area as a part of Philippine waters.

"If you recall, during the time of [President] Cory Aquino, there was some sort of corridor established for Taiwanese fishermen" to pass through that area, he said. But Baja, once foreign affairs undersecretary for policy, did not know the status of that agreement because "it came from Malacanang Palace and did not pass through the DFA [Department of Foreign Affairs]".

"With their entity being a province of China, giving sanctions and refusing to receive the representative of the president, what is that? Sometimes I feel we have these things coming to us because of our very timid diplomacy," Baja said.

Rex Robles, a retired Philippine Navy commodore and security consultant, also pointed to the corridor agreement as proof that Taiwan recognises Philippine sovereignty over that area.

"I think everyone has forgotten about the safety corridor which Cory Aquino signed during her term. It allowed Taiwanese fishermen to pass through Philippine waters on their way to the Pacific Ocean," he said.

Robles said if Taiwan believed the area was theirs, in the first place, "why will they sign that MOU [Memorandum of Understanding]?"

Robles said he was "puzzled over the Taiwanese government's overreaction" and called for a thorough probe.

Outrage over Taiwan's Manila bashing and reported incidents of violence against Filipinos in Taipei spilled over yesterday to the social media.

Rafael Alunan, a businessman and former cabinet minister, wrote on Facebook: "China will take over Taiwan one of these days, and I will not shed a tear. Even without that formal takeover, they seem to be in bed together applying the same tactics against us and Japan in our respective territories."

International law expert Harry Roque noted that Taiwan has no legal leg to demand a fishing agreement with Manila because "Taiwan is not an independent state and should not expect to be treated as such".

Edited by heatseeker0714