Pacquiao-Mayweather: “It’s going to happen”

grayle

Floyd Mayweather Jr. actually wants Erik Morales–Arum

By Francis T.J. Ochoa

HOLLYWOOD—Bob Arum let the question hang in the air for just a split second, repeating it almost as if to build some sense of incredulity to highlight the seeming senselessness of it all.

“Do you know the ‘little fellow’ that they approached?” the unsinkable Top Rank chief said in front of reporters Saturday afternoon, referring to reports out of the camp of Floyd Mayweather Jr. that it was setting a fight date with a “little fellow” on May, describing it as the biggest possible bout that could be forged.

The teaser titillated boxing circles that thought Pacquiao-Mayweather had finally been penciled next year.

“It’s Erik Morales,” Arum said, deflating the suspense and then lashing out at the decision of the Mayweather camp to chase a fighter other than Pacquiao.

“Erik will confirm it. He’s been approached to make the fight and he’ll take it for the money,” Arum said. “But I don’t know who’s going to buy it.”

Mayweather continues to bring up drug testing protocols to deflect a matchup against the reigning pound-for-pound king, despite the fact that the Pacquiao camp has already said it is amenable to that part of the undefeated American’s demands.

“He has no intention of fighting Manny,” Arum said. “He was on television last night and they asked him, ‘Why don’t you fight Pacquiao?’ And he says, ‘Take the test, take the test.’

“What the f*** is he talking about?” Arum lashed out. “Everybody knows that’s not an issue anymore. He will not fight Manny. Who cares? There are better guys out there for Manny to fight.”

Arum accused the Mayweather camp of resorting to “b*llsh*t” to get MGM Grand to agree to reserving May 5 for the fight by floating the “biggest possible bout” angle. But the Pacquiao promoter said it wasn’t a worrisome development.

May 5 is generally a sought-after date if a Latino fighter is involved in the main card, which would be the case if Arum’s Mayweather-Morales revelation is true. But it would not hurt Top Rank because Pacquiao is not being lined up “to fight a Spanish guy.”

“They want May 5 because they’re fighting Morales,” Arum explained.

Arum, however, said they’re not looking ahead at Pacquiao’s next opponent just yet.

Simply Floyd wants attention. lol! laugh.giflaugh.gif simply put tulo laway na si mayweather sa kaiinggitan niya kay pacquiao. kekeke but incase man matuloy etong mega fight, well that good for boxing and boxing fans. pero right now i really doubt it, just like what i said on my last post. until floyds signs the fight contract between him and pacman. dun lang ako maniniwala. laugh.gif

• Downvote 1
Guest nick fury

I think with this fight, mukang lalakas loob ni Mayweather na kalabanin si Manny kasi natalo nya si Marquez decisively tapos nahirapan manalo ni Manny kay Marquez. In my opinion, Marquez won the fight earlier.

Edited by nick fury

I think with this fight, mukang lalakas loob ni Mayweather na kalabanin si Manny kasi natalo nya si Marquez decisively tapos nahirapan manalo ni Manny kay Marquez. In my opinion, Marquez won the fight earlier.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Subukan niyang kalabanin si Pacman!!! Totoo yan, lalakas ang loob niya!!! Para itapon na sa bintana ang demand niyang drug test tapos pirmahan na ng contract na AKALA niya ganun na lumaban si Pacman :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its really a tough decision but Pacquiao is the champion and a KO is needed to dethrone him but Marquez clearly outboxed him. It was the 1st time I saw Pacquiao confused. Dapat bara-bara bay ang ginamit nyang style. Tama si Marquez, Pacquiao became predictable. Manny tama na muna ang panay kantot mag concentrate ka sa boxing iho.

pacman's journey from the people's champ to the best pound for pound fighter was well earned because he fought and defeated champions at their prime or highly ranked tough guys who wanted a shot at him. all his past achievements were superior to the effort he showed yesterday. i think it was enough to eke out a win. being the champion has its advantages.

let's say some of manny's luster was lost yesterday. will "sucker punch" mayweather finally challenge pacquiao to remove all doubt on who is the better boxer? i don't think so. mayweather is a disgrace because most athletes want to fight the best to see how they will fare against elite competition. he does the opposite. it's been a few years already. all the ridicule and putdowns he gets are well deserved because the only man ahead of him is just waiting for the greatest fight of his career.

Guest nick fury

i totally agree...my hats off to marquez for diligently doing his homework. unfortunately, those 2 judges saw otherwise.

I thought too that Marquez won the fight at first but when you look at it from another angle, there's sense to the 2 judges' decision. Since Marquez is the challenger, he should have been the aggressor and not Manny. What Marquez did was wait for Manny to attack so that he could unleash his counterpunching. Marquez definitely landed the telling punches but in very close rounds, the champion usually wins the round. Now, in this case, I don't think there's a need for another Pacquiao-Marquez fight coz it will still be the same outcome since Marquez will use the same tactic and Manny will still win.

I thought too that Marquez won the fight at first but when you look at it from another angle, there's sense to the 2 judges' decision. Since Marquez is the challenger, he should have been the aggressor and not Manny. What Marquez did was wait for Manny to attack so that he could unleash his counterpunching. Marquez definitely landed the telling punches but in very close rounds, the champion usually wins the round. Now, in this case, I don't think there's a need for another Pacquiao-Marquez fight coz it will still be the same outcome since Marquez will use the same tactic and Manny will still win.

that's what i thought, too...marquez had pacman on the ropes. but then, pacman, being the champ, had the advantage in every close rounds. when in doubt, you give the round to the champ. honestly, i believe even pacman himself, while awaiting for the judges' scorecards to be announced, had doubts if he won the fight. he knew it was not a dominant and convincing fight, unlike his previous fights.

pacquiao-marquez IV? naaah...and what if the next fight results into another controversy? another pacquiao-marquez bout? you said it right. marquez style of being a counter-puncher is suited for pacman. lucky for the fighting congressman, he holds the belts.