Apple iPad

"no mulsti-tsking ba?" katatapos lang ng apple event kahapon... iPhone OS 4.0 is coming...

eh yun kaso ndi sya true multi-tasking eh... nabanggit na parang limited apps lang yun pwede magamit na parang nag-mumulti-task(malabo ba? uhm... isipin mo, may multi-tasking na talaga ang iPhone at touch yung iPod music plaayer diba pwede magrun sa background). basta medyo magulo at di ko maipaliwanag, check niyo lang sa engadget.com.

pero ayun i still find this very expensive and not so portable, because it does nothing that the iPhone and touch could not do...

^Yep, with OS 4.0 there would be multi-tasking for the iPhone...and later the iPad. I think I read that it won't be initially available to the recent iPad but will be available this summer.

I think its a cool gadget if you're an e-book reader because it was specifically made for it. Apple fanboys should know better to wait for a 2nd or 3rd generation of the iPad for more and better features.

for those experienced apple gadget owners, you know the sequence.... Introduction of new product that has so less features left to be desired> bring on the tempting apps> gradually add small hardware upgrades to keep applefans burning their hard earned money buying another upgraded device> as step by step improvements keep going on, you'll see the hype slowly turn into must-have> Stevie will once again laugh his way to the banks>>

Its almost the same path iphone walked thru.

Edited by kanto-terrorist

iPad's Wi-Fi connection uses a frequency that conflicts standards in some countries.

"If you operate equipment in a frequency band which is different from the others that operate on that frequency band, then there will be interference," Nati Schubert, a senior official with the Israeli Communications Ministry, told the AP.

My equipments at work are going off-the-grid errors.

It's pretty much useless without an internet connection.

This is one BIG mess Apple. <_<

iPad's Wi-Fi connection uses a frequency that conflicts standards in some countries.

"If you operate equipment in a frequency band which is different from the others that operate on that frequency band, then there will be interference," Nati Schubert, a senior official with the Israeli Communications Ministry, told the AP.

My equipments at work are going off-the-grid errors.

It's pretty much useless without an internet connection.

This is one BIG mess Apple. <_<

this is not Apple's fault. Wifi has been assigned the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz band woldwide under an agreement promoted by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). Every country that is a UN member country is mandated to conform. Some countries have pre-allowed the use of this frequency for something else and that is not a conflict that is Apple's fault. Apple's wifi frequencies use the same as any other computer and router manufacturer's.

The Philippines is a case in point. Meralco uses the 2.4 GHz for their internal communications net and had been using it way before wifi became a standard. Guess who was been forced to bend backwards and be flexible?

Mr Softie vapourizes vapourware

post-188-127267408789.jpg

Microsoft has ceased development on the Courier, a two-screen tablet computer the company hoped would compete with Apple's iPad.

Gizmodo reports, "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer informed the internal team that had been working on the tablet device that the project would no longer be supported."

Microsoft never officially acknowledged the Courier's existence, and the gadget always felt more like a marketing stunt than a real product.

Reached by Gizmodo, Microsoft spokesperson Frank X. Shaw seemed to suggest the Courier was always just a concept gadget that Microsoft designed the same way automakers design concept cars. He told Gizmodo:

At any given time, we're looking at new ideas, investigating, testing, incubating them. It's in our DNA to develop new form factors and natural user interfaces to foster productivity and creativity. The Courier project is an example of this type of effort. It will be evaluated for use in future offerings, but we have no plans to build such a device at this time.

Someone at Microsoft leaked details of the Courier to Gizmodo last fall. Then, in March, someone at Microsoft leaked more details of the Courier to Engadget.

----------------------------

Could someone remind me how you cancel vapourware?

On a serious note it looks like Microsoft attempted their usual run around the corral only to find it wasn't working.

It looks like their FUD driven project couldn't keep the customers away from the iPad so they have decided to just give up.

Amazing.

----------------------------

A comment from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/confirmed-lgs-moorestown-based-gw990-wont-be-made/):

Microsoft probably killed it because it was one of their ambitious designs that people were talking too seriously, you can find a lot of other cool concepts they made on youtube.

As for LG and hp, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, x86 has no place in portable computing, hell it probably wouldn't still be so prevalent in the desktop market if it wasn't for Windows, with the iPad, like it or not, Apple showed that a specially designed OS on an ARM platform, gives the end user an affordable and fast tablet with hours of battery life, hp was smart to k*ll the sure to be disappointment and focus on webOS, now we just wait for JooJoo to die it's slow death

Read more: http://www.businessi...4#ixzz0mdIA0d6L

Edited by boomouse

In 2001, Microsoft introduced the Tablet PC, with Bill Gates firmly believing that the next stage in man-machine interface was to eliminate the keyboard altogether. That idea flopped badly, and the only thing that Microsoft was able to save from that idea was Windows Vista with Tablet PC support, which can be seen in such devices as HP's Tx touchscreen laptop series.

The iPad doesn't offer anything new. So if Apple's iPad succeeds, I don't know what to say except that Apple has done a very good job of cultivating blind sheep from among the world's gadget users.

Sorry to burst your bubble but not only do you misinform, you also dish out a generous helping of bovine excrement because no one, not even the owner of PAL himself could have got his hands on an Apple iPad to buy and then re-sell. Because:

1. As telecommunications devices, the iPad has not yet been approved for sale by the US Federal Communications Commission. Both types have radios devices (wifi, bluetooth and 3G in the other model) and these require certification.
  2. The lack of certification is why Apple announced a March ship date for the wifi+bluetooth model and April for the 3G model. This is clear in the Apple web site (www.apple.com) and I attach a screen dump of the relevant page (underscoring is mine).post-188-1265900084.jpg
  3. The shipping schedules were also announced by Steve Jobs during the announcement keynote last January 27. If you wish you can also watch the video at the Apple site.
  4. Perhaps you saw the last Grammy Awards show and thought that because Steven Colbert pulled an iPad out of his jacket, it was already on sale and therefore you might be able to pull off a fabrication about geting some 'firsthand tweaking' time with it. It is not. Anyone with an iPad in his possession now can only get one if Apple gave him one because it is still illegal to sell them until approved by the US FCC.

So, unless your last name is something like Jobs, Wozniak, Schiller, or Ive it is impossible for you to have had a "first hand tweaking" of the darn thing. You could have been one of the journalists invited during the Apple keynote for a post presentation hands on for your "first hand tweaking" but then you would not have had required the intervention of a friend from Philippine Air Lines.

There are other more elegant ways to put down a product you don't understand to elevate one that you think you do. I suggest you look into the ones that don't make you look foolish. A good place to start would be one that espouses a bit more research, a lot less fiction.

I think there is a topic on fiction and fairy tales in the Literature thread. You might find some respectability there.

it's only now i've read this forum again. the info that you quoted for its release sked is for wifi-enabled. this means the news you'd been reading is really outdated. it's been out much earlier than expected. actually, greenhills tiangge had ipads on display since early weeks of february. ask them!

the pal guys had been getting advance orders as early as january, fyi

Edited by remoteworld

In 2001, Microsoft introduced the Tablet PC, with Bill Gates firmly believing that the next stage in man-machine interface was to eliminate the keyboard altogether. That idea flopped badly, and the only thing that Microsoft was able to save from that idea was Windows Vista with Tablet PC support, which can be seen in such devices as HP's Tx touchscreen laptop series.

The iPad doesn't offer anything new. So if Apple's iPad succeeds, I don't know what to say except that Apple has done a very good job of cultivating blind sheep from among the world's gadget users.

In 2001… is why Apple did not do a tablet. Because no one could guarantee a product with a good user experience. Sure everything should work in theory—which is the Microsoft thought process anyway. But what goes on paper is almost always very different from what gets into production for reasons of cost and economies of scale. Why even the two paged-folding tablet that Microsoft announced last year and cancelled last week had a stylus and even HP is on the verge of killing its so-called iPad killer called the Slate.

You are wrong about the iPad because you equate it to a tablet as Microsoft would have you believe tablet should be. That is why the MS tablet failed miserably. The iPad will not replace a laptop for those people who do heavy duty computing work on their laptops such as video edits, app development, design, etc. But for those who have until now been forced to over-buy in their computing requirements because all they really needed to do was surf the web, access email, read ebooks, listen to audio books, watch videos, and for some a specialized information display device then the iPad will work.

Meanwhile, Apple has sold over a million iPads and if you want to call the people who bought them blind sheep, you go ahead. But remember, they continue to use their iPads with a smile on their faces. So, happy blind sheep?

And what of the dour, angry multitudes still forever hopeful that Microsoft might one day come up with a product that blind apple users might be envious of? They sit around cursing their ugly inferior computers with touchscreens that don't know the different between a nail scratch and a bird dropping—only if they were blind enough sheep in 2001 to buy a Windows tablet.

it's only now i've read this forum again. the info that you quoted for its release sked is for wifi-enabled. this means the news you'd been reading is really outdated. it's been out much earlier than expected. actually, greenhills tiangge had ipads on display since early weeks of february. ask them!

the pal guys had been getting advance orders as early as january, fyi

I cannot be outdated because as an owner of Apple stock I get the shareholder notices on my email a few hours before an announcement is made. Greenhills is not an official Apple distribution point. Any you don't know if what you see on display is the real thing or a China knock-off. There was a spate of knock-off releases following the iPad announcement. Even HP jumped on the bandwagon.

Advance orders are different from getting product. They can get the orders, but they can't even place them until a certain time. So, misleading. You can buy an iPad in Makati at Park Square for about P40k for the 16gb model, no 3G. But that's only for the fashionistas who are willing to pay a premium for being seen as an early adopter. These are the guys that the PAL staff like to take advantage of. Perhaps its time to get them searched and x-rayed more thoroughly again?

I cannot be outdated because as an owner of Apple stock I get the shareholder notices on my email a few hours before an announcement is made. Greenhills is not an official Apple distribution point. Any you don't know if what you see on display is the real thing or a China knock-off. There was a spate of knock-off releases following the iPad announcement. Even HP jumped on the bandwagon.

Advance orders are different from getting product. They can get the orders, but they can't even place them until a certain time. So, misleading. You can buy an iPad in Makati at Park Square for about P40k for the 16gb model, no 3G. But that's only for the fashionistas who are willing to pay a premium for being seen as an early adopter. These are the guys that the PAL staff like to take advantage of. Perhaps its time to get them searched and x-rayed more thoroughly again?

you are right about knock-offs, especially with movies. knock-offs of dvd's come out months ahead of actual release dates in movies.

there were iphone clones that were sold before the official launch date, alongside with original iphones! i believe the same is true with i-pad, the one i tweaked with didn't came from china. it wasn't a fiction of imagination at all. i'd been anticipating to try i-pad's touch-sensitive screen because i'd been a wacom tablet user for 10 years. it was a big letdown discovering it won't work like a cintiq tablet

it's a hard fact that somehow somewhere there's always a gray market in any hot commodity (like i-pad) that tries to beat the launch date to make a killing. my neighbor, for example, bought the first toyota fj 4 months before it will be released officially (even the lto was confused whether to issue him a carplate since fj is not yet in their list). the dual-screen samsung st550 cameras, another case in point, were being sold by sulit.com sellers before the malls did

Edited by remoteworld

for those experienced apple gadget owners, you know the sequence.... Introduction of new product that has so less features left to be desired> bring on the tempting apps> gradually add small hardware upgrades to keep applefans burning their hard earned money buying another upgraded device> as step by step improvements keep going on, you'll see the hype slowly turn into must-have> Stevie will once again laugh his way to the banks>>

Its almost the same path iphone walked thru.

i agree 100%, although i love apple so much i used to have 2 apple ii's (amazingly one is still working - i use it only to play taipan and wizardry, dunno i never got tired playing them over and over), 1 early mac (black and white monitor running pagemaker, hehehe), the earliest ipod nano (got it months earlier before it was launched in the philippines), and the earliest i-touch (i gave it to a cousin for a gift, sob, which i regretted soon after)

the sequence you described is called the life cycle of a product -- introducing small improvements to sustain interest. since i do a lot of drawing, i'm waiting for the day i-pad to act like a portable wacom cintiq tablet

Edited by remoteworld

overrated.

ipad = epic fail

Apple iPad Sales Top the Million Mark

May 3rd, 2010 at 8:33 AM - News by Jeff Gamet

Apple topped a million iPad sales on Friday, April 30, 28 days after the multimedia tablet first went on sale. The Wi-Fi version of the iPad was released on April 3 to long lines at many Apple retail locations, and the Wi-Fi plus 3G version hit store shelves on April 30 at 5PM local time.

"One million iPads in 28 days—that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," commented Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Apple introduced the iPad at a special media event in January, and began taking pre-sale orders on March 12. The tablet devices includes a 9.7-inch multi-touch display, runs iPhone OS, supports most iPhone apps, includes its own ebook reader app, includes built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, and is now available with 3G wireless data access, too.

The Cupertino-based company also announced that iPad owners have downloaded over 12 million apps and over 1.5 million ebooks since April 3.

============

Overrated you say?

Epic fail you say?

Not bad for something that is "just a big iPod Touch," huh?

============

…since i do a lot of sketching, i'm waiting for the day i-pad to act like a portable wacom cintiq tablet

That day has come. And its price is $3.99. No need to pirate it.

http://www.insideria.com/upload/2010/04/fashion.jpg

Sketching is a key and often overlooked component in the creative process, especially where any sort of design is concerned. It allows the designer to abstract away the problem into a space where a few simple lines can begin to direct creative solutions and ignores the details in favor of a few key ideas.

Ideate reproduces sketching on the iPad in a way that is simple, intuitive and engaging to give as good an experience as possible without a physical pen and paper. Ideate takes the opinion that simplicity is a key component of sketching, and does not clutter the interface or user's ability to problem solve with extra tools or too many features.

The one key feature Ideate brings over many other simple sketching apps is a large number of starting background objects, called Templates. Building on our physical sketchpads, Ideate comes with a large number of UI-related backgrounds, including a variety of grids, monitor resolutions, phone shells and an iPad screen. For Ideate we expanded on this idea by thinking about how sketching could apply to industries other than UI design, and so the app features templates for things as varied as fashion design, anatomy, music composition and landscaping. The goal of each template is the same: a simple starting point to ignite your creativity.

-----------------

Apps Turn Your IPad Into a Sketching Pad

By Jackie Dove, Macworld.com

The iPad is big and bright and beautiful, so of course you want to draw all over it with your fingers. To facilitate that understandable urge, here are a couple of high-profile sketch products.

SketchBook Pro

Autodesk's SketchBook Pro for iPad uses the same paint engine as its desktop companion, SketchBook Pro, and is similar to its iPhone app, SketchBook Mobile for iPhone. The iPad app features a multi-touch interface on a 1024-by768 pixel canvas. Operation includes a three-finger tap for controls and a three-finger swipe for quick access.

Brushes and tools include: 75 preset brushes, including pens, markers, natural media, and photo brushes with customizable brush settings; new Nature and Stamp brushes; draw styles for creating lines, rectangles, and circles; brush level sensitivity; 10 levels of undo and redo; and more.

The app features six layers, and includes the ability to import layers from the photo library; duplicate, merge and reorder layers; move, scale and rotate layers; and toggle layer visibility and adjust opacity.

The app's gallery lets you store and view works in progress, export to the photo library, e-mail images, export as a layered PSD file, and browse in full-screen mode. The app also features a color wheel with HSB and RGB color space designations, customizable color swatches, eyedropper color selection, and the ability to convert any brush to a custom eraser.

Visual help pages and a news panel to keep users in touch with events and information cap this offering.

The app is $8 and runs on iPads with iPhone OS 3.2.

SketchPad HD

Raizlabs' SketchPad HD is a hybrid drawing and notetaking app for the iPad that allows you to create text notes as well as drawings, and flip through both. This $1 app lets you draw on a variety of colors and page backgrounds. Record and share your thoughts via email in PDF.

With SketchPad HD, you'll always have a fresh sheet of plain white, ruled, legal, or graph paper available when you're ready to jot down your thoughts. And you can integrate typed material into your notes as well.

SketchPad HD is compatible with iPads running iPhone OS 3.2.

Edited by boomouse

we use autodesk sketchbook installed in my daughter's itouch and also in our desktop (with wacom tablet). sketching with your finger on a small screen takes a lot of time and effort, not fun at all. you'll be using the eraser tool a LOT. sketch programs like this are welcome applications in i-pad and lenovo s10-3t. in fact, i think i-pad and lenovo tablet are great for sketchers. but both are incapable for painting and drawing programs (corel painter and photoshop) that require pressure sensitivity. i want to see the day we can use an i-pad or any tablet pc for by directly drawing on the screen. that's the reason i was so curious about i-pad, i thought its screen is pressure-sensitive for stylus. alas, it's not meant for stylus. anyway, in a couple of years' time, who knows, maybe its screen would have improved by leaps and bounds. but for the moment, i'm already considering buying one -- konting improvement na lang. hehehe

Edited by remoteworld

we use autodesk sketchbook installed in my daughter's itouch and also in our desktop (with wacom tablet). sketching with your finger on a small screen takes a lot of time and effort, not fun at all. you'll be using the eraser tool a LOT. sketch programs like this are welcome applications in i-pad and lenovo s10-3t. in fact, i think i-pad and lenovo tablet are great for sketchers. but both are incapable for painting and drawing programs (corel painter and photoshop) that require pressure sensitivity. i want to see the day we can use an i-pad or any tablet pc for by directly drawing on the screen. that's the reason i was so curious about i-pad, i thought its screen is pressure-sensitive for stylus. alas, it's not meant for stylus. anyway, in a couple of years' time, who knows, maybe its screen would have improved by leaps and bounds. but for the moment, i'm already considering buying one -- konting improvement na lang. hehehe

Although the capacitive touchscreen of the Apples is better than the cheapipay resistive screens of the other so-called smarphones, I don't think it is going to be able to reflect finger pressure. And you need a finger because the screen measures the electic capacitance of the human skin. A stylus would not elicit any response. The advantage is that multi-touch gestures can be easily implemented. But who knows? a wired stylus that can fool the screen into thinking it is a finger perhaps? It must be wired because you need a way to transmit pressure values to the graphics chip. Hmm, maybe bluetooth might work… But supposing we can get all that information into it, will there be enough processing juice to maintain the user experience? Baka maging parang netbook, isang pitdot, isang Juicy Fruit.