Do You Have The Time?

bonito99

thanks, it probably would, except for the fact that it has lug holes, showing the age of the watch.  positively,  most replicas ive seen are without lug holes. :)  looks like i have to postpone buying the 2tone oris moonphase.  im probably off to hongkong next month, will surely drool over the piagets, audemars, iwcs, chronoswiss and pateks there.  :(

yan ang mahirap when afficionados get a chance to travel... we are driven to go to places that ignite our passion.. kasi dito iilan lang ang mga honest to goodness watch shops... lucerne, rolex, omega, tag, washington, estrella and manila watch exchange.

i was in singapore last april. kahit saan may watch shop even in lucky plaza... sa ngee an city (takashimaya), i practically blew my head!!!!! too overwhelming to see all the brands, and models. it's like a 3-dimension cataloge...

AP, chronoswiss and pateks, lange, etc. i only look at them in lucerne and my book.

good luck... have a safe trip.

yan ang mahirap when afficionados get a chance to travel... we are driven to go to places that ignite our passion.. kasi dito iilan lang ang mga honest to goodness watch shops... lucerne, rolex, omega, tag, washington, estrella and manila watch exchange.

i was in singapore last april. kahit saan may watch shop even in lucky plaza... sa ngee an city (takashimaya), i practically blew my head!!!!! too overwhelming to see all the brands, and models.  it's like a 3-dimension cataloge...

AP, chronoswiss and pateks, lange, etc.  i only look at them in lucerne and  my book.

good luck... have a safe trip.

thanks.

ive heard negative remarks regarding manila watch center. is the estrella you are referring to ellini pawnshop? if so, they are very vague with their description of watches yet do not easily show their watches. a friend was disgusted because they werent willing to show their watches to him with just descriptions, not knowing he was bringing 500k in cash. i once went all the way to makati and got disappointed because the maid/assistant thought she knew everything. make sure you talk to the owner herself

thanks.

ive heard negative remarks regarding manila watch center.  is the estrella you are referring to ellini pawnshop? if so,  they are very vague with their description of watches yet do not easily show their watches.  a friend was disgusted because they werent willing to show their watches to him with just descriptions, not knowing he was bringing 500k in cash. i once went all the way to makati and got disappointed because the maid/assistant thought she knew everything.  make sure you talk to the owner herself

estrella del norte... i'm not sure if its ellini. lately i've been dealing with lucerne. i have befriended one of their store managers having bought some pieces from them for myself, brothers-in-law and other relatives.

their sales personnel are well informed of their products be it omega, raymund weil, rolex, iwc, ap, patek, breitling, etc. truly a joy to deal with them.

estrella del norte... i'm not sure if its ellini.  lately i've been dealing with lucerne.  i have befriended one of their store managers having bought some pieces from them for myself, brothers-in-law and other relatives.

their sales personnel are well informed of their products be it omega, raymund weil, rolex, iwc, ap, patek, breitling, etc.  truly a joy to deal with them.

estrella im referring to is near pasig river at the other side of the bridge opposite near rockwell. onyx street, if i remember right.

as for lucerne, their sales staff quite knowledgable when it comes to more popular models like datejust and submariner but are ignorant of basic watch parts and functions or other less known brands or models. i even encountered one who referred to chronograph as chronometer

estrella im referring to is near pasig river at the other side of the bridge opposite near rockwell.  onyx street, if i remember right. 

as for lucerne, their sales staff quite knowledgable when it comes to more popular models like datejust and submariner but are ignorant of basic watch parts and functions or other less known brands or models.  i even encountered one who referred to chronograph as chronometer

i guess they dont go to the finer points... anything with a stop watch function in a watch would be a chrnonometer for them or vise versa, albeit my contact in lucerne could tell the diff...

as for COSC certifications, or a Breguet spring, this could only be appreciated by collectors.

Atong, Salamat. If you know someone selling an IWC (chrono preferred) or a Rolex Explorer 2,  let me know.  Do you know some pre-owned dealers w/o shops? I'll be in Manila in November with an itch to scratch.  I know what you mean by that common trust since there is a substantial amount of money involved and there are many counterfeits out there.

saw an ad for iwc chrono flieger at www.buyandsellph.com

saw an ad for iwc chrono flieger at www.buyandsellph.com

padre,

been a while since the last time i looked into this thread. i guess your still at it....the watch thing....i thought you found the hobby quite expensive. :P

watches....hmmm.....very expensive hobby. just had my yachtmaster serviced, t*ang ina, dugo! :blink:

Edited by mild seven
when will we ever learn? :blush:

hell yeah. :( tho sulit naman, had it done at the rolex service center. looks brand new actually, di ko lang pinapalitan yung glass, meron na kasing konting chip, e pag crystal kasi di pwede buff. pahinga muna sandali, ipon muna, then will have the others serviced also. iba kasi feeling after they service it, sarap suot, feeling mo parang bago. ;)

what do you recommend to people who want to buy or sell pre-owned quality watches?  i'm thinking of selling a watch, but i dont know how, where and how much.. i just realized, i may have a watch too many..

i recommend selling first to friends to get a better price both for the buyer and seller by avoiding a middleman or a pre-owned dealer.

what watches are you selling? there might be people interested here in mtc but be careful to sell to known members to avoid security risks.

went to my fav watch shop in the metro... i was told that rolex, iwc, ap, etc. increased their net sales prices by 15%.

you have a more valuable timepiece on your wrist now!!!

i think most real watch lovers dont give any importance to the resale value of their watches, but still its good to hear our watches dont decpreciate in their value as quickly as cars

i recommend selling first to friends to get a better price both for the buyer and seller by avoiding a middleman or a pre-owned dealer.

what watches are you selling?  there might be people interested here in mtc but be careful to sell to known members to avoid security risks.

agree with mr. ang. a bunch of us here are collectors. if anyone wants to sell a watch, he/she can always post it on the thread. some of us are always looking for the next watch to buy, while all of us will occasionally outgrow a watch and would like to see it go to someone else who will enjoy it.

its always better to cut out the dealer. the buyer and seller can split the dealer's markup. win-win situation.

agree with mr. ang. a bunch of us here are collectors. if anyone wants to sell a watch, he/she can always post it on the thread. some of us are always looking for the next watch to buy, while all of us will occasionally outgrow a watch and would like to see it go to someone else who will enjoy it.

its always better to cut out the dealer. the buyer and seller can split the dealer's markup. win-win situation.

thanks for your inputs... will post it once i am decided.

atong/masi,

aside from lucerne, you know where else they service an audemar's piaget, royal oak?

as far as i know, only lucerne is the authorized retailer of AP watches here. in fact they are the only one's i see carrying the different models. i stand corrected, though.

lucerne, i think does not actually service it in their shop. they will only receive the item then send it by courier to the manufacturer, where it is repaired/serviced. a friend of mine had his iwc "serviced" in lucerne and that's what they did. he waited 3 months to get it back.

if you are travelling to singapore, you may want to bring it to the AP store along orchard road (now i just dont remember if it was near the hilton or mandarin).

do remember to bring the warranty card to validate the serial number. who knows, you might even get free service and parts since most watches carry certain warranties. dont take my word for it, better check with them.

is the watch yours? if it is... you really have a truly desirable piece.

i hope this was of help.

thanks for your inputs... will post it once i am decided.

by the way. u were asking how to valuate a watch ur trying to sell. and also what options u have for selling.

i valuate pre-owned watches by going to ebay and checking the average price or the price range a particular-make-and-model has been fetching lately. for me, its a better gauge than researching even in an up-to-date used-watch-guide (Cooksey Shugart Price Guide) or checking out the price at a local used watch store. some of the local pre-owned watch dealers kasi priced their watches somewhat off from what the rest of the world consider fair market value, but most of us have to ability to go and buy things abroad, or buy it through ebay, kaya some of those watches at the local stores take a long time to sell and i see some of the watches there forever. if u want, if u tell me the make-and-model and approximate year, i can check ebay for u and let u know. then u will be able to figure out if the price is worthwhile for u to try and sell or if u should just keep it because you dont care for the price it is likely to fetching.

as for other options for selling, u can sell it to one of the used watch dealers ( they advertise about buying watches in buy-and-sell), u can put it on consignment at secondo ( they take 10% of the sale price which u dictate), u can try to sell it on ebay or bidshot online, or u can maybe ask one of the local ebay watch-sellers to try and sell for u. i'm sure atong or bonito can hook u up to local dealers.