Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Coach Tab's Ateneo team is the prototype international team. He has quick guards, reliable shooters, athletic wingmen, physical forwards, and an agile big man. Ateneo's performance in the Jones Cup and their consistent strong showing against professional teams (both local and international) are testaments to Coach Tab's system. Now, imagine applying his principles to our national team program, giving him 4 years to exclusively mold the players, and we may have a competitive team by 2023.

Of course, Coach Tab's program is all for nothing if the PBA cannot get its act together. The FIBA World Cup is every 4 years only and they didn't even adjust their calendar this year to help the training of the Gilas players. Our players are not that tall, not that skilled, that's why I still don't get it why we still pattern our training program after the USA Team. We are dwarves compared to the other teams, so we need to always be better, faster, and tougher and 2 weeks of training will not fix our disadvantages.

Coach Tab's Ateneo team is the prototype international team. He has quick guards, reliable shooters, athletic wingmen, physical forwards, and an agile big man. Ateneo's performance in the Jones Cup and their consistent strong showing against professional teams (both local and international) are testaments to Coach Tab's system. Now, imagine applying his principles to our national team program, giving him 4 years to exclusively mold the players, and we may have a competitive team by 2023.

Of course, Coach Tab's program is all for nothing if the PBA cannot get its act together. The FIBA World Cup is every 4 years only and they didn't even adjust their calendar this year to help the training of the Gilas players. Our players are not that tall, not that skilled, that's why I still don't get it why we still pattern our training program after the USA Team. We are dwarves compared to the other teams, so we need to always be better, faster, and tougher and 2 weeks of training will not fix our disadvantages.

I Agree.The highlighted above says it all.

Ayos hinde umabot ng 60 points ang lamang sa atin ng Serbia...59 lang! :rolleyes:

Lucky for us we have 4 years to try and improve Team Pilipinas. We were gauged but somewhat short and not enough to be at par with the top teams in the world. Back to the drawing table tayo mga paps.

Edited by Journeyman6

What if ko lang... kung nagkasabay sabay sana under 1 program si fernandez, jawo, patrimonio, caidic, junmar, japeth, lassiter, blatche, loyzaga, wright, slaughter, castro, la, menk...

Coach by baby d and ron j... with danding bank rolling them...

Aside from kai sotto, sino pa kaya potential player natin in the coming years? Ang wish list ko 4 na 6'9" and up na kayang tumira ng 3s, 2 pg na 6'3" above... at shooters na lahat na may depensa hehehe

Yung laro ng italy at serbia, galawang matagal ng magkakasama...

Agree. Isa pa they keep the system and quality recruitment. Sa ganitong pamamaraan nila napapanatili yung cohesiveness ng team nila. Sadly sa Gilas pag nagpalit ng coach pati sistema 100% pinapalitan! though all of the coaches that handled the Gilas program from Toroman up to Yeng preaches DEFENSE pero look at what happened in the 2 matches we played di maka adjust-adjust yung depensa at opensa natin...what does that tell us? while looking at Italy's game against Angola...makikita mo na yung opponent lang yung naiba pero yung approach ng Italy ay parehas din ng linaro nila versus Gilas. We should look for a system that works both ways! learn,train and compete with that system kahit magpapalit-palit ng coach dapat parehas parin yung sistema or a little tweak and turn lang hinde kagaya ng kasalukuyan na complete overhaul.

Edited by Journeyman6

i'll say it again chief. as of this writing, tab baldwin is the most competent/qualified to coach the national basketball team. let him take over the gilas cadets/batang gilas with 2023 as the main goal. kai soto, thirdy ravena, aj edu, carl tamayo, dave ildefonso, juan gomez de liano, ricci rivero plus maybe talented pba rookies like cj perez, bolick and rayray parks can be included in the pool. the most important thing is getting the right naturalized player. if tab will be picked to coach gilas, i'm sure he knows who to pick.

Chief, you forgot Kobe. Speaking of Bolick and CJ Perez, I really didn't know them until I saw them play. CJ Perez should be included. CJ Perez playing the point was a revelation. It means that our point guards should be 6'3 and above. Perez was fearless in driving in the lane. Parks could be another option for point guard. The Kraken should be another mainstay in the next FIBA-Asia. I am pretty sure we can beat China and Iran. SBP should get another naturalized player and must do everything to make Jordan Clarkson play. If we had Clarkson, we'd probably beat Italia.

Developing the young guns like Kai, Kobe, Ricci, AJ, etc. and mixing them up with Parks, Bolick, Perez and Fajardo will makes us competitive in the FIBA-Worlds. Even if the aforementioned players turn pro, SBP should stay with them, pretty much like what Espana did with their team at the turn of the century.

After watching the game vs Serbia, I'm convinced that the following should be replaced ASAP:

• Blatche - he's so slow, demotivated, and useless on the court. How much is he getting paid just to stand at the 3 pt line?
  • Pogoy - 17% 3pt FG% for a designated shooter? LOL!
  • Norwood - he already lost his athleticism and I think he does not trust his outside shooting anymore
  • Guiao and all his assistant coaches - the PBA schemes he's using in the World Cup is a joke that is not funny at all
  • Gilas Trainers - don't we have anyone in the country who knows how to teach the correct mechanics of a jumpshot? There's a proper science to it as we can see from the players of Serbia, Italy, and even South Korea. Get Chip Engelland as a shooting coach if possible!

For 2020-2023, Bolick and Perez are good anchors because they are both fearless and their outside shot can still develop (just like what happened to Jason Castro). I think they can be good leaders too and I would like to see them get more exposure in international games.

I observed that Gilas played PBA basketball. No passing. Just one on one plays. I don't blame them due to the length and quickness of the Serbians which made it difficult to pass the ball. The Serbs played the passing lanes brilliantly. Yeng had no counter to this. I am pretty sure Tab or Toroman would have found out a counter to the tight man to man defense of the Serbs.

Kiefer Ravena sucked again in this game. I have no idea why Yeng kept him in the game when he made moronic back to back turnovers of the same nature, dribbling through traffic and losing the ball which led to two fast break layups by the Serbs. Is it because Kiefer is Yeng's boy at NLEX?

There is a classification round so I hope we beat Angola and do well in the classification round which will determine the best Asian team in the tournament which is the basis for an Olympic slot. Of course, this is assuming China or any Asian team doesn't go beyond the first round. Let's face it, our group was the most difficult as we had Serbia in our group. Pundits are picking Serbia as one of the teams to win it all and it showed in how they played. If the Serbs and the USA Celtics play in the finals, I am not sure who will win.

Edited by will robie

Chief, you forgot Kobe. Speaking of Bolick and CJ Perez, I really didn't know them until I saw them play. CJ Perez should be included. CJ Perez playing the point was a revelation. It means that our point guards should be 6'3 and above. Perez was fearless in driving in the lane. Parks could be another option for point guard. The Kraken should be another mainstay in the next FIBA-Asia. I am pretty sure we can beat China and Iran. SBP should get another naturalized player and must do everything to make Jordan Clarkson play. If we had Clarkson, we'd probably beat Italia.

Developing the young guns like Kai, Kobe, Ricci, AJ, etc. and mixing them up with Parks, Bolick, Perez and Fajardo will makes us competitive in the FIBA-Worlds. Even if the aforementioned players turn pro, SBP should stay with them, pretty much like what Espana did with their team at the turn of the century.

oh yes!!! kobe paras...a 6'7" athletic wing player. i'd like to see remy martin included in the next gilas pool also. sbp should do everything to have clarkson in the lineup. that guy's a legit nba player. and as for the naturalized player, i think this 2019 fiba world may be andray's last hurrah. cj, bolick, rayray would be good compliments to the likes of soto, edu, ildefonso, rivero and paras. the kraken will be around 31-32 in 4 years? pwede pa yan. plus a really good naturalized player. chris mccullough of smb or brownlee? can you imagine what coach tab can do with these players at his disposal? chot reyes wag ka nang makialam ha?! pampagulo ka lang. Edited by junix

oh yes!!! kobe paras...a 6'7" athletic wing player. i'd like to see remy martin included in the next gilas pool also. sbp should do everything to have clarkson in the lineup. that guy's a legit nba player. and as for the naturalized player, i think this 2019 fiba world may be andray's last hurrah. cj, bolick, rayray would be good compliments to the likes of soto, edu, ildefonso, rivero and paras. the kraken will be around 31-32 in 4 years? pwede pa yan. plus a really good naturalized player. chris mccullough of smb or brownlee? can you imagine what coach tab can do with these players at his disposal? chot reyes wag ka nang makialam ha?! pampagulo ka lang.

My ideal starting five of the future would be:

Clarkson-SG

Parks-PG

Paras-SF

Naturalized Player-PF

Sotto-Center

Clarkson would be in his 30s but he could still be a factor. Tab should be the coach and this should be non-negotiable for the SBP. Chot should just shut up and accept his coaching is not world class.

Edited by will robie

I observed that Gilas played PBA basketball. No passing. Just one on one plays. I don't blame them due to the length and quickness of the Serbians which made it difficult to pass the ball. The Serbs played the passing lanes brilliantly. Yeng had no counter to this. I am pretty sure Tab or Toroman would have found out a counter to the tight man to man defense of the Serbs.

Kiefer Ravena sucked again in this game. I have no idea why Yeng kept him in the game when he made moronic back to back turnovers of the same nature, dribbling through traffic and losing the ball which led to two fast break layups by the Serbs. Is it because Kiefer is Yeng's boy at NLEX?

There is a classification round so I hope we beat Angola and do well in the classification round which will determine the best Asian team in the tournament which is the basis for an Olympic slot. Of course, this is assuming China or any Asian team doesn't go beyond the first round.

you noticed that, too chief? daming dribble ng gilas while serbs were more on passing. may mga back passes...and fancy passes pa. and those 3 point shots... damn!!! they were razor sharp zeroing in on those orange iron rings. yeng couldn't adjust because he seemed lost...coach tab? well, we know what he can do under such circumstance. problem with the players we have is that they are not accustomed to international basketball. they don't have the benefit of playing against other international teams. 3 conferences in 1 year, they play against each other. sila-sila lang. it's just like playing basketball in the backyard. the program should be overhauled. haven't our basketball bosses learned their lesson yet?

oh yes!!! kobe paras...a 6'7" athletic wing player. i'd like to see remy martin included in the next gilas pool also. sbp should do everything to have clarkson in the lineup. that guy's a legit nba player. and as for the naturalized player, i think this 2019 fiba world may be andray's last hurrah. cj, bolick, rayray would be good compliments to the likes of soto, edu, ildefonso, rivero and paras. the kraken will be around 31-32 in 4 years? pwede pa yan. plus a really good naturalized player. chris mccullough of smb or brownlee? can you imagine what coach tab can do with these players at his disposal? chot reyes wag ka nang makialam ha?! pampagulo ka lang.

I don't know if Kobe Paras will ever fit the national team program because that kid has a star player complex. He has a tendency to sulk when he does not get the ball. He always seems to play for individual glory than for the benefit of the team.

Anyway, I'm kinda interested to see if he already managed to fix his bad attitude while playing for UP. That's why I'm going to watch all the games of UP this UAAP season.

If he can now play team ball, then by all means add him to the Gilas program because he can be an asset. But if he will just be a distraction, I'd rather develop proven Batang Gilas players like Carl Tamayo and/or Dave Ildefonso over him.

Edited by ALLMight

you noticed that, too chief? daming dribble ng gilas while serbs were more on passing. may mga back passes...and fancy passes pa. and those 3 point shots... damn!!! they were razor sharp zeroing in on those orange iron rings. yeng couldn't adjust because he seemed lost...coach tab? well, we know what he can do under such circumstance. problem with the players we have is that they are not accustomed to international basketball. they don't have the benefit of playing against other international teams. 3 conferences in 1 year, they play against each other. sila-sila lang. it's just like playing basketball in the backyard. the program should be overhauled. haven't our basketball bosses learned their lesson yet?

I don't blame them, chief. The passing angles were cut off by the Serbians due to their length and athleticism. Radjulica and Joker can run, post and shoot. They are also very intelligent players. After this tournament, SBP would be crazy not to tap Tab as the coach of the next Gilas team for the FIBA-Asia. Korea, Iran and Japan will be our main rivals in the next FIBA-Asia.

I noticed that the best center in the NBA wasn't even in the starting five of Serbia against us. I'd like to see Greece and Serbia go at it. However, I am not sure if they will be able to meet in this FIBA-World.

Edited by will robie

I don't blame them, chief. The passing angles were cut off by the Serbians due to their length and athleticism. Radjulica and Joker can run, post and shoot. They are also very intelligent players. After this tournament, SBP would be crazy not to tap Tab as the coach of the next Gilas team for the FIBA-Asia. Korea, Iran and Japan will be our main rivals in the next FIBA-Asia.

I noticed that the best center in the NBA wasn't even in the starting five of Serbia against us. I'd like to see Greece and Serbia go at it. However, I am not sure if they will be able to meet in this FIBA-World.

if you could see Italy and Serbs yung 2-3 players lang ang dumedepensa sa dribble play ng Team Pilipinas once caught ayun wala ng play.

Japeth can shoot 3pts though not a shooter pero wlang ganun play sa kanya.

makikita talaga yung agwat ng playing style ng European teams sa Team Pilipinas.

last game Angola sa nilaro nito against Italy kanina... 0-3 di malabo ito ang kartada natin sa WC this year!

if you could see Italy and Serbs yung 2-3 players lang ang dumedepensa sa dribble play ng Team Pilipinas once caught ayun wala ng play.

Japeth can shoot 3pts though not a shooter pero wlang ganun play sa kanya.

makikita talaga yung agwat ng playing style ng European teams sa Team Pilipinas.

last game Angola sa nilaro nito against Italy kanina... 0-3 di malabo ito ang kartada natin sa WC this year!

Tingin ko kaya naman natin Angola. Masyadong malaki lang talaga yung Serbia at magaling. I am also questioning the coaching of Yeng. Kaya ni Yeng sa FIBA-Asia. He just can't cut it in the FIBA-Worlds.

Edited by will robie

Tingin ko kaya naman natin Angola. Masyadong malaki lang talaga yung Serbia at magaling. I am also questioning the coaching of Yeng. Kaya ni Yeng sa FIBA-Asia. He just can't cut it in the FIBA-Worlds.

well hope they can... yun laro kasi ng Angola vs Italy knina very much scary din.. they got height and speed which yun ang magpapaiyak sa Team Pilipinas.

pero malamang kahit Fiba-Asia hindi na natin kakayanin if si Yeng pa rin ang Coach hehehe

A few days ago, Ateneo had a practice game with NLEX, which was playing with their Governor's Cup import. NLEX lost by 30 pts. To a college team.

Tab's system>>>>>>>>>>Yeng's system.

ateneo even beat the adelaide 36ers...the same australian team that beat the gilas national men's team in the 2nd game of their 2-game tuneup series. nice job coach tab.

well hope they can... yun laro kasi ng Angola vs Italy knina very much scary din.. they got height and speed which yun ang magpapaiyak sa Team Pilipinas.

pero malamang kahit Fiba-Asia hindi na natin kakayanin if si Yeng pa rin ang Coach hehehe

Agree with this. We barely qualify. Also fortunate to play Japan w/out Hachimura and their naturalized player.

ateneo even beat the adelaide 36ers...the same australian team that beat the gilas national men's team in the 2nd game of their 2-game tuneup series. nice job coach tab.

I concede the UAAP title to Ateneo this year. I think it's time for Tab to take over. If Chot interferes again, the SBP should just tell him to shut his mouth. Puro daldal lang siya.

Edited by will robie