Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

the BGK-Gilas series proves one thing. without douthit, there is no chance in hell Gilas will make it past the quarterfinals of ANY international event, let alone events when China, Iran, and Japan are participating.

Will Asi help them beef up the middle. Yes. But keep in mind, up to this year, Asi has been the starting center of the PH national team and kinabayo na tayo dati, paano pa kaya ngayon? Kahit sabihin na reliever lang sya...dehado pa din.

Also, I recently read an article wherein Toroman said something to the effect that Gilas will not play dirty.....News flash coach, hindi ba yan ang purpose nyo kung bakit kayo sumali ng conference na ito? Na matuto mga boys nyo ng gulangan?

Gilas, as it is, is a competitive team...no doubt about it! But at the end of the day, they still need to be a CHAMPION TEAM, and sadly, I dont see that happening this year.

Halatang gustong pumasok ng Gilas sa FInals eh, yung international plays nila nawala na. Puro pasa sa ilalim kay Douthit yung bola, eh hindi naman uubra sa international games yung ganyan.

Nung elimination round kung mapapansin nyo, bihira sila mag low post kay Douthit. Sabi nga ni Rajko, di raw nila gagawin yun dahil gusto nilang gawin yung mga plays nila na gagamitin sa international competition. Pero nung BGK series, panay pasa ng bola kay Douthit sa ilalim. :lol:

forming a team from the pba is not a solution better yet a way to save or work on a better ground for philippine basketball in the international basketball.

one thing you should understand pba players are well feed, given the salary they have, they dont have any commitments to play for their country unless they want to. lumalabas utang na loob pa natin na maglaro sila since nakikiusap tayo sa kanila.

just like players from the uaap or ncaa, i think you would agree that its excitng to watch this leagues than the pba since you can see they give it all their heart , limited talent and guts.

just like the govt, with the years that have pass by . . . do we see new players who we dont know or probably we are familiar with that turn to a really develop player . . . . i guess wala. to me the matter is the idea of making the team is good but how they plan to further that plan in the future doesnt coincides to any advantage their in

same as the govt, nagsasayang lang sila ng pera paying players millions and yet ang daming issues ng team, further more it always a reason why they cant compete at a higher level because they dont have certain set of players.

Walang patutunguhan ang team na ito :lol:

nde naman sa ganun.

We'd be fooling ourselves to think na llamado ang SG maka-gold sa FIBA-Asia.

Lets call a spade a spade....even without the PBA reinforcements, i.e. the very same lineup na na-eliminate ng BGK, they would already be competitive enough to be a dark horse to clinch a semis birth, behind (1) China, (2) Iran, (3) Qatar (just my personal assessment as a basketball fan and nothing to do with FIBA rankings).

I'm already sure, they're a much better team than Syria, Taiwan, and even Lebanon.

I also think SG has slight advantage over SoKor, meaning 3/4 times mananalo ang SG.

With Japan however, I think its 50/50....depende kung paano tumalbog ang bola, ika nga.

But unfortunately, the September FIBA-Asia has only one gold medal as prize, and to get it, they'd need to beat China and/or Iran and as the way I see it NOW, that's not going to happen this year...baka next year! :D

Although, who knows?!? maybe ung 3 months having Asi, Williams, Alapag, and Hontiveros would indeed do wonders! Baka nga? malay natin.

Sabi nga ng mga taga-baranggay...bilog ang mundo.

you maybe right, it could be a bust it could be a boon!

worst is after the stint do they have the players that the pba lend them? as it is the commish of the pba the reason they lend so much players is because they are playing in the philippines after that mukhang wala nanaman sila.

the point of this is are we confident enough that they can play through ?? not as a whole but the SG team itself and only its core players

Edited by launchpad

the problem kasi with us is that we are always looking on a short term basis na kapag nagform ng isang national team we expect to bring home the bacon.. remember napakadaming panahon na nasayang sa tin kaya dapat lang na on a long scale ang planning natin. smart gilas is improving and what we can do is to give our full support to this team instead of pulling them down.

the problem kasi with us is that we are always looking on a short term basis na kapag nagform ng isang national team we expect to bring home the bacon.. remember napakadaming panahon na nasayang sa tin kaya dapat lang na on a long scale ang planning natin. smart gilas is improving and what we can do is to give our full support to this team instead of pulling them down.

if i remember right, Eala's grand plan 3 years ago

1. Get a competent coach with excellent international experience

2. Find a legitimate center and get him naturalized

3. Put together the best local collegiate non-pro basketball players

4. Host the 2012 FIBA-Asia

In that span of time mula nuon madaming nagbago

Natalo tayo sa bid for hosting ng China

May mga UAAP and NCAA standouts ang nagpa-draft, like Al-husseini, Baclao, Meirhoffer, Aguilar dagdag mo pa or naki-alam ang dating BAP (on Fajardo)

Before Douthit, there were 3 or 4 others before him. Douthit essentially joined the team fairly recently lang.

So, except for keeping Toroman, madami sa mga unang plano sa conceptualization ng SG ay kailangan magbago.

do anybody think our bigscan match up against the bigs in asia? Who can come in afteer our naturalized imort gets into foul trouble? ASI is old.... slaughter is slow.... japeth is practically afraid to mix it up with the bigs.... kahit bangko si haddadi e nasa NBA p rin yong iranian n yan.... then you have the tall chinese... wang zhi zhi and company are long and can shoot the light out.... SO what is our chances in the FIBA ASIA QUALIFYING?

With Douthit, Taulava, Slaughter and Aguilar, SG has 4 big guys who can bang in the inside although Aguilar is more of a finesse player, I think he'll have to mix it up in the inside with the big guys of China, Sokor and Iran.

@CATSUMHOTO ... un tanong mong do anybody thinks our bigs can match up against the bigs in Asia, meron naman.

We'll just have to wait and see but I believe he will. Coach Toroman will ask it from him since he's a big. With Douthit around plus Taulava and Slaughter, SG can now match any team in the Asiad sizewise.

O eto pa ... kaya naman daw makipagbanggaan ni Japeth kasi hihingin ni coach yun sa kanya.

At mag back read ka lang may nagsabi rin na man for man we're better than IRAN :lol:

Edited by Megaeltati

^

hey, that rhymes- man for man...

imo, gilas is doing what it should be doing. their current original plan might be looking like it acquired some plastic surgery but, the main formula is still visible.

naysayers are gaysayers (sorry, wala na ako ma-isip to keep the rhyme thing going).

The problem lang with us is that some have really high expectations boardering being "unrealistic" in their opinions,

Lahat tayo gustong manumbalik ang Pinas bilang kampeon sa Asya sa larangan ng basketball. Sayang nandun na tayo dati pero napabayaan. Kaya naman para tayong nanganganay after decades of not having a decent program. How long did it take China and Iran to be where they are now. Definitely not 3-4 years.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226320_10150194499613960_588358959_6892673_8157510_s.jpg

URGENT: Last chance to volunteer for the 22nd FIBA ASIA Champions Cup.

To all Filipino Basketball Fans, we are in need of more Male and Female Volunteers for the coming FIBA-Asia event which the Philippines is hosting here at the the PhilSports Multi-Purpose Arena (formerly ULTRA) on May 28 to June 5, 2011. We do appreciate your help, lets make this event a success. Those who can communicate verbally in Arabic is very much welcomed. For those who failed to come in the 1st two orientation days are invited to come at the 3rd and Final screening on May 16, 2011 (Monday) at 2PM at the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) Office which is located in the Philsports Bldg A inside the DepEd Complex/Philsport Complex, Meralco Ave., Pasig City. Please bring your 2x2 ID Picture, Resume/Biodata, pen and paper. For those who previously attended in the earlier orientation days, you would be informed accordingly of your respective assignments and what day you'll report for duty. Tel#706-2970.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bzVEY9GbRqs/Ta7iqPmbr6I/AAAAAAAAZ-U/1nBRSo69hzs/s400/1.gif

SBP holds Fiba-Asia volunteers seminar

5/14/2011

source: philstar.com

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3112/bernieatienzaspo12.jpg

SBP deputy executive director Bernie Atienza addresses

Fiba-Asia Champions Cup volunteers.

PASIG CITY – As part of the preparations for the 22nd FIBA-Asia Champions Cup, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) conducted a Volunteers Orientation last May 12 at the SBP headquarters in Pasig City.

Close to a hundred basketball fans arrived in the hope of landing jobs as liaison officers, ushers, gatekeepers and other operational and secretarial tasks for the event slated from May 28 to June 5 at the Philsports Arena.

SBP deputy executive director Bernie Atienza welcomed the participants.

“Today’s turnout is very encouraging and a sign that our hosting will be a success,” said Atienza.

Lectures were given on topics ranging from the tournament’s history to what to expect as a volunteer and the duties and responsibilities of their specific jobs. Television sports commentator Anthony Servinio conducted the lectures.

Immediately after the lectures, the participants were assigned their jobs.

A quick survey reveals a diverse group consisting of professionals like registered nurses and medical doctors to college students. However, they are unified in the fact that they all love basketball.

• 2 weeks later...

Air 21 allowed Dondon Hontiveros to focus on Gilas stint, but here's the catch: He's on a trading block (unconfirmed, but highly probable)

Read below the Dean's article published today at Philstar:

Big trade brewing

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson

Zoom A one-for-one trade is being negotiated in the PBA at the moment and if the two parties agree, it may be consummated within the next three days. No other considerations are involved. A reliable source said yesterday the swap is strictly one player for another.

What’s interesting is that the players involved are both versatile. One player is more known as a two-guard and a deadly outside shooter who can also drive strong to the hole. The other is essentially a shooting forward who can play two, three and even four because of his height.

Both players are three-point bombers. One is an extremely high leaper who can slam the ball with either hand or both – at the same time. The other is a crafty veteran and an adequate defender.

If the trade pushes through, it won’t be the first time for the players. One player has been in the league since 2005-06, switching uniforms thrice while the other turned pro in 2000 and is on his third team.

The players expect to get a boost in their careers with the deal. Curiously, one player will go back to his original team if the trade is signed, sealed and delivered.

Venue: Philsports Arena (formerly Ultra), Pasig City

May 28 to June 5, 2011

PARTICIPATING TEAMS

GROUP A

Jordan (ASU)

Malaysia (WKL DRAGONS)

Irag (DUHOK)

Saudi Arabia (AL ITTIHAD)

Philippines (SMART GILAS)

GROUP B

Lebanon (AL RIYADI)

Qatar (AL RAYYAN)

U.A.E. (AL SHABAB)

I.R. Iran (MAHRAM)

Syria (AL JALAA)

LIVE TV COVERAGE

The third and fourth games will be broadcast live over AKTV Channel 13 from 6 PM to 8 PM on May 28 to June 5.

SCHEDULE OF GAMES

28 May 2011 - Saturday

02:00PM - Iraq VS Jordan

04:00PM - Syria VS I.R. Iran

06:00PM - Philippines VS Saudi Arabia

08:00PM - U.A.E. VS Lebanon

29 May 2011 - Sunday

02:00PM - Saudi Arabia VS Iraq

04:00PM - Qatar VS Syria

06:00PM - Malaysia VS Philippines

08:00PM - I.R. Iran VS U.A.E.

30 May 2011 - Monday

02:00PM - Jordan VS Saudi Arabia

04:00PM - Iraq VS Malaysia

06:00PM - Lebanon VS I.R. Iran

08:00PM - U.A.E. VS Qatar

31 May 2011 - Tuesday

02:00PM - Syria VS U.A.E.

04:00PM - Malaysia VS Jordan

06:00PM - Qatar VS Lebanon

08:00PM - Philippines VS Iraq

01 June 2011 - Wednesday

02:00PM - Saudi Arabia VS Malaysia

04:00PM - I.R. Iran VS Qatar

06:00PM - Lebanon VS Syria

08:00PM - Jordan VS Philippines

03 June 2011 - Friday

QUARTER-FINALS

04 June 2011 - Saturday

SEMI-FINALS

05 June 2011 - Sunday

FINALS

TICKET INFORMATION

For tickets, visit the SM Tickets site or call (02) 470-2222.

RINGSIDE - Reserved Seats - Php 250

COURTSIDE I - Reserved Seats - Php 200

COURTSIDE II - Free Seating - Php 150

LOWER LEVEL - Free Seating - Php 150

GALLERY - Free Seating - Php 10