External Hard Drives

Any one know where i can get my external hd fixed? I had one about 5-6 years ago. Plugged it into the wrong outlet. Since then it wont work. Or is there anyway i can recover files from it?

There are some shops in the SM Megamall and SM North EDSA Cyberzones that do this.

It will cost you quite a bit of money. The cost depends on the kind of damage too.

If it's just the power adapter, then the simple solution would be to replace it.

If the mechanical parts of the drive have a problem, the technician can recover your files by disassembling the drive and extracting the data from the platter.

If the platter is damaged, then (sad to say) it's time to move on.

Edited by jasper.lynch80

Mas durable po ba ang external kesa sa internal HD?

Nag dadalawang-iisip pa kasi ako kung anong bibilhin sa dalawa para makapagback-up ako ng files.

Durability depends on many factors like how often you use it. The more you use it, the less durable it becomes. Then there's also physical damage to the drive - if the drive is dropped or fried due to electrical surge or improper handling of the drive (frying your drive with your own static electricity).

Look at it this way. If you use an internal drive for your backup, then it will stay within the computer (desktop or laptop).

An external drive is portable but with portability, you run the risk of dropping the drive or having something spilled on it, etc.

An internal drive is not portable (unless you bring your desktop/laptop with you).

If you have a desktop, then buy an internal drive to backup your files.

If you have a laptop, then buy an external drive.

If your backup files include media files that you'd like to play in a media player, then buy an external drive.

Decide by asking yourself these questions.

1.) What files are you backing up? How often do you need to backup? And what uses are those files?

2.) What is your budget?

I hope that helps somehow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Durability depends on many factors like how often you use it. The more you use it, the less durable it becomes. Then there's also physical damage to the drive - if the drive is dropped or fried due to electrical surge or improper handling of the drive (frying your drive with your own static electricity).

Look at it this way. If you use an internal drive for your backup, then it will stay within the computer (desktop or laptop).

An external drive is portable but with portability, you run the risk of dropping the drive or having something spilled on it, etc.

An internal drive is not portable (unless you bring your desktop/laptop with you).

If you have a desktop, then buy an internal drive to backup your files.

If you have a laptop, then buy an external drive.

If your backup files include media files that you'd like to play in a media player, then buy an external drive.

Decide by asking yourself these questions.

1.) What files are you backing up? How often do you need to backup? And what uses are those files?

2.) What is your budget?

I hope that helps somehow.

Thank you so much for your response. It does help and really appreciated

I'm planning to buy both instead for backing up photos and videos. During my backread, I got an idea on how to use back-up drives by transferring same types of files in one drive.

WD may be my internal while seagate for my external. 1tb each.

Edited by jedi master