External Hard Drives

^when the chito miranda scandal broke out, word is sya daw talaga nagkalat nun - nagkainuman tapos pinakita "daw" nya sa iba so natural may nagka-interes na kalikutin ang laptop nya or phone nya. Tsismis lang to pero either way, he got careless.

back to topic, may mga DIY method to recover lost files sa HDD na bad sector, may na-research ako dati (circa 2000) online that says dapat daw ilagay sa ziplock yung hdd and put in the freezer for about an hour (wag lang lalampas sa 2 hrs kasi tatagos yung ice at mag moist sa loob ng bag), this will cause the plates to contract yata. After that, plug the HDD back in habang malamig pa habang di pa bumabalik sa dating condition yung plates. Medyo far-fetched kasi testimonials show that it did worked for some and since medyo desperado na din ako nun to recover my school work files so i tried and somehow it did worked, hindi ko man nahugot lahat ng files ko but I got what i needed.

Just not sure kung gagana pa yung ganung method sa modern HDD now.

I have the old seagate 1TB external HDD where you still need to plug it.. It's been with me for more than 5 years, however one day it just didnt work, it was just blinking and couldnt be detected by the any computer I plug it to.. seagate told me they cannot do anything because the life span of an external HDD is 5 years..

• 1 month later...

I've stopped using external hard drives. What I do is use internal hard drives as external hard drives. If you have a hard drive that has the operating system your other extra (secondary drives) function as mere usb drives that are just harder to remove. They don't come with the convenience of being easy to move or mount, but if all you're using them for is file back-up, they're the best way to go. Now if you want a reliable external hard drive go with solid state ones, their only real problems are cost and that there's a limited number of times you can write and read over them. But they are far less likely to break because of far fewer moving parts, if you can claim that they have any real moving parts for practical purposes.

They haven't failed me since I bought them - so I can't give you a firm date. 2 years give or take for the WDC, the Seagate has been going strong for 1 year. Before I buy a hard drive I usually check out newegg.com for user reviews. If an item has a reasonable amount of reviewers and it's at least a 4 out of 5 stars it should be reliable. I bought a WDC 1tb blue and a 1tb Seagate that both had 4 out of 5 stars and decent reviews. Remember, all hard drives fail. This is a matter of when, not if, the only way to save your files is to have multiple back-ups. I have stuff on my internal hard drive and then copies of my more important ones on a 300gb external hard drive and then my most important files have backups on dual layer DVDs.

Edited by KeepCalm

I did a scan sanitizer on my hp laptop....the thing is after 30% i just abort the operation...honestly i was damn impatient to finish the entire clean up, coz it took 30% for 4hrs....can't wait to finished it entirely and migth finished it for entire 10 hrs? , had an errand tomorrow thats why I abort the operation, did try to install win7 and it did install....now my question is.... do aborting scan sanitizer will damaged the hard disk/drive in the future? although successful naman pag-install ko.. still thus aborting the operation might damaged the hard disk? 500GB of harddisk

• 2 weeks later...