Practical Shooting

pareng pare

newbie here.

a friend invited me one time to test fire his new AR-15. also got a hold of a beretta Px4 storm and a Sig mosquito.

I was hooked. Sarap mag firing especially pag tinatamaan yung target. hehe.

Now i want my own gun, im intending it for home defense and fun shooting.

im more inclined to get a Sig of my own pero sabi niya its too small. (mura lang kasi bala)

d ko gusto yung beretta niya, masyado malakas recoil. d ako makatama.

im thinking of getting probably a 9mm beretta na full size or a glock17.

any comments? TIA

sir mikimiki, it would depend on your budget, if you plan to compete with it, or for just plinking and home defense. as for the two you mentioned, glocks are now hard to find in the market, with the gun shows getting delayed shipments of 6 weeks to 6 months. as for beretta, most berettas currently available are surplus and are of questionable quality. the PX4 your friend has is supposed to be one of their better models....

Sir miggye,

Its just for fun shooting and defense na din. I want your opinion on the shooting side of it.

Im a beginner, that was my first time on a range. I would like to get one with less recoil

and a quite smaller grip than the PX4. Medyo malaki yun eh. Although I have an above

average hand size, parang hirap ako hawakan eh. Any inputs on the Glock17 or any other

pistols that might be on your list?

Is it true that if you shoot someone with a 22 cal

it wont matter. So it wont be a good buy for a home defense gun?

TIA :)

Sir miggye,

Its just for fun shooting and defense na din. I want your opinion on the shooting side of it.

Im a beginner, that was my first time on a range. I would like to get one with less recoil

and a quite smaller grip than the PX4. Medyo malaki yun eh. Although I have an above

average hand size, parang hirap ako hawakan eh. Any inputs on the Glock17 or any other

pistols that might be on your list?

Is it true that if you shoot someone with a 22 cal

it wont matter. So it wont be a good buy for a home defense gun?

TIA :)

sorry for the late reply, mikimiki. actually, i consider a .22lr a good home defense round. no matter what some people say, i have seen a lot of dead bodies with this bullet as the cause of death. if you consider that the Mossad issues 22lr pistols to their agents because of the concealability and the fact that its easier to silence carries a lot of weight in my opinion. fact is, however, that if you shoot someone with a 22, if you don't hit him in the head, you better make sure you place at least 4 rounds inside his torso, as this gun usually has little knock-down power. on the plus side, its a cheap, reliable, accurate, round, on the downside, be ready to keep pulling the trigger. an uncle of mine once got into a fight and all he had was his beretta 22. he placed 5 shots into the guy just to make sure.

what i usually recommend, however, is a bullet in the 35-38 caliber range. this includes .357, .357magnum, .38special, .380, .357, 9mm, and super .38. current affordable ones in the market i would recommend are the Bersa Thunders( in .380 slim and hi-cap, and in 9mm and .40), Armscor/Tanfoglio( the AP9 and Force Combat is the same gun!), and i have seen some Kahr slim 9mms in some shops. Norinco and Armscors are very much available.

slightly more expensive, but very reliable are the CZs and the Glocks. i would advice that you go window shopping before you buy. check the grip and weight of the gun to your hand. for grip and reliability, you might prefer a revolver. also go from shop to shop before you buy, as the prices could vary. remember that some are also the exclusive importers, while others are just shops. ;)

Mga Gentle Guniacs,

Gandang Bagong Taon Po sa inyong lahat, Ask ko lang po kung familiar kyo sa nabili kong baril i got this gun from TRUE WEIGHT i got a great access to one of them,,, nagkaroon ako ng chance to have or purchase this gun from them.. its a .22 short ammo STI enforce Rifle semi automatic with 10 rd mag... according to my brother who is the Chief range officer from PPSC, ang ganda daw ng rifle he can shoot it in a great distance with accuracy, ask ko lang bakit wala manlang review to sa internet, according to TW its a limited rifle mean iilan lang ginawa nito... ill post the pic po.... wala na kong ginalaw d2 except additional Harris bipods, and a Nikon Monarch Scope....

Here the complete specs...

Caliber .22 Long Rifle

Barrel 21” progressive twist, threaded, crowned, bull

Receiver Patented Aluminum w/ clean out hole to accept threaded barrel

Trigger Assembly Patented Adjustable SuperMatch w/ "Quick” Mag release

Overall Length approx. 40” w/ stock

Weight approx. 7 pounds w/ stock

Finish Natural Stainless and Aluminum

Competition Approvals Team Challenge, Etc.

CURIOUS LANG AKO SIR - WHAT MODEL OF NIKON RIFLESCOPE DO YOU HAVE?

newbie here.

a friend invited me one time to test fire his new AR-15. also got a hold of a beretta Px4 storm and a Sig mosquito.

I was hooked. Sarap mag firing especially pag tinatamaan yung target. hehe.

Now i want my own gun, im intending it for home defense and fun shooting.

im more inclined to get a Sig of my own pero sabi niya its too small. (mura lang kasi bala)

d ko gusto yung beretta niya, masyado malakas recoil. d ako makatama.

im thinking of getting probably a 9mm beretta na full size or a glock17.

any comments? TIA

If you want a gun for purely for home defense purposes, get a shotgun. It's cheap, reliable and needs only modicum of training to master. If you want a gun that you can have fun with, get a .22lr rifle with a scope - I can guarantee you that you'll have hours and hours of fun shooting it. If you want a defensive gun that you can also compete in, get a production division pistol - either a 9mm, .40 cal or .45 cal. Any lower caliber will negate the defensive purpose of the pistol.

The recoil is a matter of gun handling and not an issue of the handgun caliber. If you are gripping your handgun properly, then the recoil will not really matter at all. You will have to get proper training to master the grip, the stance, the sight picture and the trigger squeeze which all determines how you accurately shoot your handgun. PROPER TRAINING IS OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE WHENEVER YOU DECIDE TO BUY A FIREARM. Don't even think you can learn how to shoot firearms properly - specially if you are a beginner - from books or videos or heaven forbid - the movies.

Forget revolvers - they may be easier to shoot, but you are only limited to six rounds and reloading a revolver under stress can be infuriating. Get a pistol - they are more reliable now than they were in the 1960s and 1970s when they were notorious for jamming. Yes, you can do fatal damage to a person with a .22 caliber, absolutely no recoil pistol with five rounds in the torso, but how long do you think your opponent can aim back at you and shoot after you have fired the first round? And can you fire your second and third round of .22s while staring down the barrel of a large bore pistol? How many rounds do you think you can absorb of the 9mm, .40 cal or .45 cal before you get incapacitated enough not be able to accurately return fire? It is always a balance of speed, power and accuracy.

Yes, the MOSSAD used to issue .22s to their agents - but it is used mostly because of its concealability and ease to silence. To be effective, you have to use the .22 up close and personal - practically at face-slapping distance and when your target is completely unaware.

If you want a defensive AND a competition pistol, get a full-sized model. Don't f#&k around with compacts and sub-compact models. As to the brand or model - how much can you afford. If money is no problem, get the STI GP6 or the CZ SPO1 pistols - they're the latest and the best that money can buy. If it's too pricey, get the Glocks, the CZs, the Berrettas or the Tangfolios. Still too expensive? Buy a basic model Armscor pistol and build it up as often as you save money. I've handled a well-tuned 9mm armscor that out-performed my trusty old Glock 17.

as you can see, mikimiki, ask a firearm people about handguns, they will give you different answers. its all about preference. take me, for example. it may be sacrilege to some here, but i simply don't like Glocks. it's simply because i prefer a handgun with a manual safety, just that.

as you can see, mikimiki, ask a firearm people about handguns, they will give you different answers. its all about preference. take me, for example. it may be sacrilege to some here, but i simply don't like Glocks. it's simply because i prefer a handgun with a manual safety, just that.

Yeah, I noticed while doing some research on the net. Thanks for all your inputs.

Thanks sirs for the generous info. Still would need to do a great deal of research before buying.

Revolvers are not my list.

Be going back to the range this month to try out some other pistols that my friends have.

Thanks again and god bless.

That's the way to do it. Check out the winners of any IPSC or PPSA PRODUCTION DIVISION competitions or any IDPA competitions and find out what they are using. These divisions use production pistols, i.e., pistols as issued by the manufacturere that are normally used as carry firearms or side arms with little or no modification.

Ang alam ko seize na ang selling ng Glocks to civilians due to "safety" precautions... dahil nga sa safety features nila ..

That's why i chose Para :)

. . .

There is no prohibition on the selling of Glock pistols to civilians - the problem is that imports of glocks to the country are being severely restricted because of our classification as a high risk country (blame the abu sayaff). The safety features of the glock was never in question. Yes, the glock does not have a manual safety - but as any old timer would tell you, you should not rely on any mechanical devices for safety - they will ultimately fail. The ultimate safety precaution is the shooter's very own trigger finger

Ang alam ko seize na ang selling ng Glocks to civilians due to "safety" precautions... dahil nga sa safety features nila ..

That's why i chose Para :)

. . .

There is no prohibition on the selling of Glock pistols to civilians - the problem is that imports of glocks to the country are being severely restricted because of our classification as a high risk country (blame the abu sayaff). The safety features of the glock was never in question. Yes, the glock does not have a manual safety - but as any old timer would tell you, you should not rely on any mechanical devices for safety - they will ultimately fail. The ultimate safety precaution is the shooter's very own trigger finger

sir daemonknight's correct, Glocks are still available but harder to get. it's not a safety issue, its a legal issue. and its not that we are a high risk country, Glock still does business in Mexico and Colombia, and their crime rate is much higher than here. it was because an importer had sold the serial numbers of his stock to several people in the states, allowing them to tamper with their guns.

with that said, i still prefer a manual safety. why? simply because i have treated too many people who have shot themselves in AD when they thought their gun was safe.

sir daemonknight's correct, Glocks are still available but harder to get. it's not a safety issue, its a legal issue. and its not that we are a high risk country, Glock still does business in Mexico and Colombia, and their crime rate is much higher than here. it was because an importer had sold the serial numbers of his stock to several people in the states, allowing them to tamper with their guns.

with that said, i still prefer a manual safety. why? simply because i have treated too many people who have shot themselves in AD when they thought their gun was safe.

Ah then the problem was with the gun handler, not with the gun.

Mga Bossing, Ask ko lng po sana ng advise kung papano pumili ng handgun? Concern ko po kc is for safety and protection. anyway, sa loob lang naman bahay ng bahay ko ilalagay.

1. How to choose handgun?

2. Quality and Cost effective?

3. Gun Store reco?

Salamat po ng marami...

You should've thought of that before the Gun ban .. hahaha

1. Choose on your preference ,, hindi porke sanay yung iba , sanay ka na rin.. there's plenty of Firing range na pwede ka muna subok pumutok.. para kung saan ka gamay.. ganoong model na rin kunin mo.

2. Not all expensive guns are the most proficient ... sa ngayon medyo sumasabay na mga local made guns :)

3. I buy most of my handguns sa Twin Pines.. minsan sa Gun Shows ...but i prefer yung store na may discount na ako.. hehehe

HTH

. . .

Edited by royginald
Mga Bossing, Ask ko lng po sana ng advise kung papano pumili ng handgun? Concern ko po kc is for safety and protection. anyway, sa loob lang naman bahay ng bahay ko ilalagay.

1. How to choose handgun?

2. Quality and Cost effective?

3. Gun Store reco?

Salamat po ng marami...

my own opinion:

1. visit a firing range with a complete variety of caliber available (.45acp, 9mm., .38spl are the most common calibers). try them all. see what caliber suits you. lastly, check what gun fits your hand comfortably.

2. above poster is correct. it does not mean that imported ones are the best ones. Armscor and Firestorm are now at par with the best.

3. i got 4 of my guns from Aquila (located at Harrison Plaza). but if you are to choose a gunstore take into consideration their stocks availability and the quality of service. (i would consider a good service if they can process your license and release your unit within 5 working days)

hope this helps!

You should've thought of that before the Gun ban .. hahaha

1. Choose on your preference ,, hindi porke sanay yung iba , sanay ka na rin.. there's plenty of Firing range na pwede ka muna subok pumutok.. para kung saan ka gamay.. ganoong model na rin kunin mo.

2. Not all expensive guns are the most proficient ... sa ngayon medyo sumasabay na mga local made guns :)

3. I buy most of my handguns sa Twin Pines.. minsan sa Gun Shows ...but i prefer yung store na may discount na ako.. hehehe

HTH

. . .

uu nga po noh?! HEHEHEHE. slamat po ng marami.

Ah then the problem was with the gun handler, not with the gun.

that is always the case, its the people (regulators, manufacturers, dealers, owners) who contribute to what happens to the gun & not the other way around

as i tell people who look askance at me when i tell them i am a doctor and a practical shooter... the gun is just a tool. it feeds people, and keeps them warm. what kills people is other people! take away guns and people will just go back and use knives, bolos, swords and bows to k*ll each other! (go to any emergency room and you will find more stabbings and maulings than gunshot victims

my own opinion:

1. visit a firing range with a complete variety of caliber available (.45acp, 9mm., .38spl are the most common calibers). try them all. see what caliber suits you. lastly, check what gun fits your hand comfortably.

2. above poster is correct. it does not mean that imported ones are the best ones. Armscor and Firestorm are now at par with the best.

3. i got 4 of my guns from Aquila (located at Harrison Plaza). but if you are to choose a gunstore take into consideration their stocks availability and the quality of service. (i would consider a good service if they can process your license and release your unit within 5 working days)

hope this helps!

very much agree with sir Ray004 :thumbsupsmiley: