Do You Wear Gloves When You Work Out?

• 1 month later...

Yes, because I don't want to ruin my career as a hand model :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.

But seriously, while we may think that girls dig the "macho" callouses, I'm pretty sure that they don't like being touched in their most sensitive areas (you know where) with fingers that have the texture of unfinished concrete ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use gloves or straps simply because using them would not improve your grip strength. In fact, pag may friends ako or bagong training partner na gumagamit ng gloves or straps I would tell them na hindi naman kailangan yun, not unless powerlifter ka and you're deadlifting 2x or 3x your bodyweight. The only way to train your grip is to actually grip heavy. If your concerned about getting blisters and kalyo on your hands, there's actually a proper way to grip a bar. If your trainer has a proper weightlifting background, tuturuan ka niya i-grip yung bar ng tama na hindi magkakalyo yung kamay mo (personally, i use this simple test to know kung sinong mga trainer yung may background talaga sa strength training and proper weightlifting).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good Morning, Everyone!

In my case, I never do - because doing so is better for my forearm grip and bar familiarization given my fitness objective. To give this context, I'm training for competitive powerlifting.

Let's step back a bit.

The purpose of a glove is to prevent the formation of callouses - because the coarse texture of the bar will not make contact with the skin.

However, by preventing contact with the skin, the glove also forms an additional round/layer around the bar - increasing the bar's circumference. If you are pulling an object, it now becomes a bit harder to do so because it is now comparably larger than before (because of the layer provided by the glove).

If you don't wear gloves, your hands will become used to the circumference of the bar (i.e., in a deadlift or a bench press) and the muscles in your forearm will respond (albeit over time) by strengthening themselves in response to regular contact to the bar for that bar circumference (the one without the glove). Callouses will form, but you will be familiar with the bar's weight by then and you'll be able to lift it properly and comfortably (i.e. around the time that you're doing 1x bodyweight deadlifts, 1.5x bodyweight deadlifts, 2x bodyweight deadlifts, etc).

Besides, they're not allowed at powerlifting competitions:

http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-deadlifting-wearing-gloves-sucks/

So, because of my fitness objective, I don't ever use gloves.

• 5 weeks later...