Feeling Rich, Looking Rich And Claiming To Be Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest nick fury

This is the difference between the noveau riche and the old rich: the noveau riche flaunt their expensive watches without being asked the time while the old rich only show their expensive watches when asked the time.

Edited by nick fury
  • 1 month later...

saken.. I keep telling the girls na madaling mabulag na "iba ang taong mayabang at iba ang taong may ipagyayabang."

Mas bilib ako sa tao who started form the ground up. I hate people na anak mayaman(no offense sa natamaan) kasi they can't appreciate talaga ang may pinagsimulan kasi spoonfed na eh. Even if some people have "simple jobs" pero they go home to their family's mansion.. eh ganun parin diba? Kumbaga front mo lang ang "simpleng trabaho".

Pero nakaka umay talaga ung mga braggarts dyan.. puro labas ng credit card pero di naman sila primary.. haha, baka extension lang sila sa bank account ng mga magulang nila. Nako, pati ung mga naka auto dyan... auto ng erpats, ermats nila. Dati dami gusto maghamon ng karera saken.. I just asked them to show me ung OR ng auto nila para at least walang sabit.. ayun pala ayaw ipakita hanggang sa nasukbit ng taga setup ng race.. rich kid lang pala. Sigh.. sana naman umasenso kayo sa sarili nyo.

• 1 month later...

Your post reminds me of the line- Really to own what you inherit

You must first earn it by your merit

saken.. I keep telling the girls na madaling mabulag na "iba ang taong mayabang at iba ang taong may ipagyayabang."

Mas bilib ako sa tao who started form the ground up. I hate people na anak mayaman(no offense sa natamaan) kasi they can't appreciate talaga ang may pinagsimulan kasi spoonfed na eh. Even if some people have "simple jobs" pero they go home to their family's mansion.. eh ganun parin diba? Kumbaga front mo lang ang "simpleng trabaho".

Pero nakaka umay talaga ung mga braggarts dyan.. puro labas ng credit card pero di naman sila primary.. haha, baka extension lang sila sa bank account ng mga magulang nila. Nako, pati ung mga naka auto dyan... auto ng erpats, ermats nila. Dati dami gusto maghamon ng karera saken.. I just asked them to show me ung OR ng auto nila para at least walang sabit.. ayun pala ayaw ipakita hanggang sa nasukbit ng taga setup ng race.. rich kid lang pala. Sigh.. sana naman umasenso kayo sa sarili nyo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Even if some rich kids inherit the huge wealth their parents left them, you should hand it to some of them particularly those who not only preserved the wealth but managed to make that wealth grow way beyond what their parents left them. It's not easy to manage wealth. If you don't know what you're doing, it's very easy to lose everything. So my hats off to rich kids who know how to manage and increase their wealth.

I don't think the phrase "Feeling Rich, Looking Rich And Claiming To Be Rich" applies to everyone. Many rich people (especially those born to wealth) usually want to maintain a low profile. They don't have anything to prove. These people normally lead simple quiet lives. They dress in inexpensive clothes, drive vehicles which aren't flashy, go around without bodyguards, etc. They don't want to draw attention to themselves.

Those who have acquired wealth only lately are the ones who spend lavishly. They're into designer bags, shoes, watches, drive flashy cars, buy expensive homes, etc. You can't really blame them. Since they've been deprived all their lives all of a sudden they want to have the things they could only dream of. This is a normal, natural type of behavior. There's also probably a psychological need for these people to proclaim to the whole world. "Look at me...I have finally arrived!!"

Edited by maxiev

You are referring to the nouveau rich. In tagalog it's called bagong yaman. I don't think this type of mindset is exclusive to Filipinos. If you go to Hong Kong, you'll see all these super rich mainlanders sporting the most expensve clothes, watches, designer bags, etc. Siguro mga anak ito ng mga dating mga farmers sa mainland. I know the HK Chinese look down on these mainland Chinese. I've heard some snide remarks coming from these HK bred Chinese.

One can easily spot the HK bred Chinese from the mainlanders. Very flashy yung taga mainland.

Still, I respect those who are self-made, not much those who inherited. Those who inherited have a lot to prove before they get respect.

I also respect self-made successful people. But I likewise respect the children of these self-made successful people who didn't squander the wealth of their parents but rather, were able to maintain and even increase the wealth their parents left them.

Case in point are the children of Henry Sy, owner of SM. Though Henry Sy was the founder of Shoe Mart (now called SM) it was his children who made it into the largest retail company in the country. When Henry Sy first built up his company, it was very modest by today's standards. He gradually built it up into one of the most successful companies in the Philippines. But it was his kids that made SM into a conglomerate. It's not limited anymore to simple retailing (which was the original vision of the father.)It is now into banking (BDO),call centers, retailing, real estate, resorts development, etc. The children of Henry Sy should be recognized as Taipans in their own right.

• Like (+1) 1

my reasons are that the sons/daughters of the rich already have the wherewithal to increase the wealth they have. Usually takes money to make money; if they increase it, I still applaud the founder for giving them discipline to succeed instead of becoming a whining useless spoiled brat.

In my opinion, most people consider the children of rich people as whining useless spoiled brats. Sure this applies to some kids whose parents never taught them to be responsible, independent and hard-working. These kids live off the wealth of their parents but because they never really grew up, they ended up squandering their inheritance on booze, women, and other vices. Eventually they become hard up.

But there are also those children of rich people who were trained by their parents to become responsible, independent, and hard working. Many of the children of these rich people were sent by their parents to business schools in the US. When you live in the US, you're forced to grow up. You can't act like spoiled rich kids in America. You have to learn how to cook, how to buy your groceries, how to do your laundry, how to live like a responsible individual. In other words, living in America is the best way to learn how to be independent and responsible.

Now when these kids go to prestigious business schools and make the grade, they are eventually given positions of responsibility in the companies of their parents. These kids can then apply what they learned in business school to make their companies more competititve, more profitable, and better able to adapt to ever changing business environments.

Eventually, they take over their parents's companies and become the CEO's. Their work ethic (which they developed as students in the US) coupled with the business techniques acquired in school allows their companies to grow beyond the wildest dreams of their parents.

This is happening today. These new generation of businessmen have their parents to thank for making them the success they are today. If not for their parental guidance and the investment in their education, these kids would have taken the wrong turn at the crucial crossroads and ended up spoiled, irresponsible, lazy, and ultimately, destitute.

Edited by oscartamaguchiblackface

In my opinion, most people consider the children of rich people as whining useless spoiled brats. Sure this applies to some kids whose parents never taught them to be responsible, independent and hard-working. These kids live off the wealth of their parents but because they never really grew up, they ended up squandering their inheritance on booze, women, and other vices. Eventually they become hard up.

But there are also those children of rich people who were trained by their parents to become responsible, independent, and hard working. Many of the children of these rich people were sent by their parents to business schools in the US. When you live in the US, you're forced to grow up. You can't act like spoiled rich kids in America. You have to learn how to cook, how to buy your groceries, how to do your laundry, how to live like a responsible individual. In other words, living in America is the best way to learn how to be independent and responsible.

Now when these kids go to prestigious business schools and make the grade, they are eventually given positions of responsibility in the companies of their parents. These kids can then apply what they learned in business school to make their companies more competititve, more profitable, and better able to adapt to ever changing business environments.

Eventually, they take over their parents's companies and become the CEO's. Their work ethic (which they developed as students in the US) coupled with the business techniques acquired in school allows their companies to grow beyond the wildest dreams of their parents.

This is happening today. These new generation of businessmen have their parents to thank for making them the success they are today. If not for their parental guidance and the investment in their education, these kids would have taken the wrong turn at the crucial crossroads and ended up spoiled, irresponsible, lazy, and ultimately, destitute.

This is my point exactly.

Still, I respect those who are self-made, not much those who inherited. Those who inherited have a lot to prove before they get respect.

Bro in Shanghai, China there is a section of the city with many high rise buildings. You would be impressed just by looking at all these modern sky scrapers. And yet just less than 20 years ago the land where these buildings now stand were farm lands owned by farmers. When they sold to property developers starting in the 1990's these peasant, uneducated farmers became millionaires overnight.

Got this information from our tour guide when we went up the Oriental Pearl Tower several years ago.

Now these farmers have money to provide for quality education of their children, Let's assume the chidren were educated in a good business school in the US and come home, turn the family fortune around by making good business decisions. The family prospers like never before. These kids are highly educated, their parents are peasants.

My question to you is, do you consider the parents of these kids self-made millionaires? Remember they made their fortune by selling their famlands to property delelopers which in turn was used for educating their childen.

Whom would you respect more, the peasant farmers who had the good fortune to be sitting on prime land? Or the western educated children who made the money of the parents grow 10 fold?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd still prefer self made. Those are the pioneers. If you were just the 2nd generation or the kids who inherited the wealth then there's no challenge because the hard part was already done... establishing a business, making a profit. In short, may capital ka nang malaki to expand. Kaya iba parin ang 1st generation old school start from scratch. That's why I don't listen to my wealthy friends, I listen to their parents or grandparents who started it all. Only exception to this rule is that kung ang 1st gen is the whole family, kasama yung mga anak na nag banat buto nung nagsimula mag negosyo at hindi kung kailan maunlad na.

Edited by ej_qn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...