Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

I was one of the few players that played against him. I ate his elbow(s), patid, and pangangatawan. Matigas talaga. Although I was only a second stringer during that time, it was really an experienced and pleasure to play against him. See you all, Ka Barangay, bukas. I will be there!

Edited by photographer

Arnaiz says Big J unretireable By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star

http://imageshack.us/a/img171/5646/bigjsp4.jpg
Robert Jaworski

Zoom

Manila, Philippines - Former PBA star guard Francis Arnaiz said while his long-time teammate Robert Jaworski’s Ginebra San Miguel No. 7 jersey will be retired in formal rites at the Smart Araneta Coliseum tonight, the Big J will never retire from public service.

“There will always be a role you can play in mentoring individuals, especially the young, instilling in them the correct values to have so that they may grow to be the best they can be in whatever road life takes them,” said Arnaiz in an e-mail to The STAR yesterday. “This new arena can be through sports or through any other means.”

Arnaiz, 61, played 12 seasons in the PBA, finishing his career in 1986 with over 10,000 points and 2,000 assists in 613 games. He met up with Jaworski when the ex-Ateneo standout joined Meralco as a MICAA rookie in 1971 and they were since inseparable at Komatsu, Toyota, the national team and finally, Ginebra San Miguel. Today, Arnaiz lives in Sacramento, California, and works as a staff service analyst with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for the state.

In a tribute to Jaworski, Arnaiz said: “I do not know what the young players in the PBA today think of Sonny as a player or as a person. Having been his backcourt partner all throughout my amateur and professional basketball careers, I do not think there is anyone who knows him better as a player than myself. Sonny is an athlete who has given the game his all. In fact, he has shown me what dedication to a sport is all about. I do not know of anyone who has worked harder than Sonny, to be the best he can be. By his example, he taught me what it really means to have a dream, work hard and reach it. I think he sees himself as someone blessed by God with a talent that he wants to share with others, either as a player or as a teacher of the sport. And this is not just about being talented. More importantly, he is showing all of us that by reaching down into our very being, even when everyone says we can’t, with God’s help and a ton of hard work, all of us can achieve our dreams. It takes courage to take a chance and stand up for what you believe in, even when nobody else does.

“If there is anything I realize now, it’s what Sonny has been showing us all those years by example. Winning is not everything. The measure of a true champion is this: If at the end of the day, you can look at yourself in the mirror and truly say, I did my very best, you have won a crown that can never be lost and no one can take that away from you. And this, I believe, is the legacy that Sonny would like to leave with us. That life’s real battles are not always won by the faster or the stronger. They go to the one who trusts in God and can truly say, I did my best.”

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/566/bigjspbnowater.jpg Francis Arnaiz. filamnation.com Asked to expound on Ginebra’s fabled never-say-die attitude, Arnaiz said it’s the key to success in anything in life. “It’s what makes Ginebra so unique,” said the Robin to Jaworski’s Batman. “It’s that spirit that Sonny instilled in all his players. After all, how does one define success? I don’t think it’s simply winning. Not trying to sound simplistic but success is giving your best. If you’ve done your best, you’ve already won. If there is anything that defines Sonny, it is that attitude. It’s that legacy, built on the foundation that will live on for Ginebra long after we’re gone.”

Arnaiz never represented the country in the Olympics unlike Jaworski in 1968 but cherished the memory of playing on the national team that captured the FIBA-Asia (then known as the Asian Basketball Confederation) championship in Manila in 1973. “There is nothing like representing your country,” he said. “My most memorable experience as a player was when we won the Asian title in 1973.”

Arnaiz said with the London Olympics just around the corner, his advice to the country’s delegation of 11 athletes is to do their best and enjoy the moment. “Remember that you are special and were chosen to represent the Philippines,” he said. “Winning is important and you should always strive for it. But it’s not the most important thing. What is paramount is that you compete with honor. Be proud in the fact that you represent your country and have the support of millions of your countrymen who will be cheering for you.”

Arnaiz said his job with the Certification, Assignment and Waivers Division of the state government keeps him busy. To stay fit, he walks a lot. “I don’t play basketball anymore except for some exhibition games that we played a few years ago with the PBA-USA Legends Foundation headed by Abe King,” he said.

Arnaiz said after living in the US for over 25 years, his plan is to eventually settle down here. “It has always been my plan to settle in the Philippines,” he said. “My wife Bebe and I plan to retire in the next three or four years. At this point, I’m not sure what I will do in the Philippines (when we come back). But I hope that it will be something that will allow me to impart what I have learned in life to the younger generation.”

Regarding the PBA, Arnaiz said he doesn’t watch the games on live streaming but stays informed by reading accounts in the internet, particularly on philstar.com. “The players are much stronger and bigger now which of course, changes the structure and flow of the game,” he pointed out. “I think they are fundamentally more sound now.”

Arnaiz has four children and one grandchild. His eldest Inigo, 37, lives in Manila and works for a graphic design company. Another son Francisco, 32, works for a real estate mortgage company in California. Daughter Tammy and husband Martin Tuason reside in Las Vegas with an eight-month-old daughter Olivia. Youngest child Nicole lives in San Francisco.

bozeman for the win!!! yahooooo!!! another sterling game for the soon to be named MVP - mc47 :) that game surely made the big j proud of the boys. iba talaga ang inspirasyon na nabibigay ni jawo. nakamayan lang at sinabihan nung halftime na wag bibitaw, nag-iba na ang laro ng bgk :) 3 more wins for a sweep. next game - RoS...kaya ng barangay yan!!!

"When he (Big J) touched our hands it inspired us all.." - MC47

what if kung si jawo pa nag coach?

tumpak!!! kaya dapat nang pakinggan ng SMC management ang sigaw ng buong pilipinas...ibalik si jawo sa ginebra!!! ibang klase kang magbigay ng inspirasyon jawo!!!