Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

A heartbreaking loss ... in hindsight defensive lapses did us in. On a critical possession we have hatfield playing Center and willy wilson as the PF against a tall SMC frontline. Then again,we still had our chance to win had not for a repeat of the last play in our lost to SMC. Si Miller na naman ang last play against a tall defender in Santos.

But despite the loss, it was a great game by the Kings.

bawi na lang next time, at least pinakita ng gins

kayang kaya nila talunin smb.

BGK fan po ako....but lets call a spade a spade

twice naglaban, pareho naging resulta which is talo

the only thing na ipinakita ng BGK kagabi is kaya nilang talunin any team in the PBA except SMB, at least for now.

Jong Uichico should go back to drawing that play on Miller, walang screens at na-isolate si Miller one on one with a much bigger defender. Parang replay talaga ito ng unang laban

A heartbreaking loss ... in hindsight defensive lapses did us in. On a critical possession we have hatfield playing Center and willy wilson as the PF against a tall SMC frontline. Then again,we still had our chance to win had not for a repeat of the last play in our lost to SMC. Si Miller na naman ang last play against a tall defender in Santos.

But despite the loss, it was a great game by the Kings.

i beg to disagree, but i think their defense held well against SMB's offense

palagay ko its SMB's defense that did the game for BGK last night

there were 3 consecutive possessions na inabutan ng shotclock ang BGK

and if i recall it right, nasundan pa ng at least dalawa pa

not to mention....how many shots were blocked

BGK fan po ako....but lets call a spade a spade

twice naglaban, pareho naging resulta which is talo

the only thing na ipinakita ng BGK kagabi is kaya nilang talunin any team in the PBA except SMB, at least for now.

Jong Uichico should go back to drawing that play on Miller, walang screens at na-isolate si Miller one on one with a much bigger defender. Parang replay talaga ito ng unang laban

i beg to disagree, but i think their defense held well against SMB's offense

palagay ko its SMB's defense that did the game for BGK last night

there were 3 consecutive possessions na inabutan ng shotclock ang BGK

and if i recall it right, nasundan pa ng at least dalawa pa

not to mention....how many shots were blocked

Overall the Kings defense was ok. I was referring to the last ball possession of the beermen ...Wilson played good d on Washington but we were not able to complete the play by getting the rebound. As such, washington got the offensive board and the putback for the go ahead basket. We could have put in a bigger frontline for a crucial defensive play. Considering their height advantage and being a crucial play of the game you gotta think that the Beermen will play high percentage ball by playing their half-court game and take it strong to the hoop.

Guys, credit the wins to Siot, not Jong. Eversince Siot arrived at the bench, the defense and assists nos. of Ginebra increased, then came the wins. With Jong's (again) insistence on fielding Willie in the dying seconds, it spelled doom again for the team.

Déjá vu for Ginebra

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated November 23, 2010 12:00 AM Comments (2) images/post-comments.jpg

It was a familiar situation that faced Barangay Ginebra in the dying seconds of the Kings’ game against San Miguel Beer in the PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum last Sunday.

Twice before, Ginebra had the final possession in one-point losses to Meralco last Oct. 3 and, you guessed it, San Miguel last Oct. 17. Both times, coach Joseph Uichico went to Willie Miller for the do-or-die play and both times, the Thriller failed to deliver.

Against Meralco, Miller missed an open jumper with 18 ticks left as the Bolts held a shaky 73-72 lead. Four straight Meralco misses from the line gave Ginebra a chance to steal it down the stretch but with less than three seconds left, Miller lost control of the ball on an inbounds play. He never got a shot off as time expired to preserve Meralco’s one-point advantage.

Then came the first San Miguel face-off. With six seconds to go and the Beermen on top, 69-68, Miller was defended by long-armed Arwind Santos. Miller couldn’t fade away or pop a jumper because the Spiderman was too long for comfort so he put the ball on the floor, hoping to use his quickness to create an opening for a decent shot. Alas, Santos gave Miller little space to operate and the ball bounced off the Thriller’s foot to seal the outcome on a sour note for Ginebra.

Last Sunday, San Miguel seized the driver’s seat, 79-78, on Jay Washington’s follow-up of his own miss. Washington drove against a shorter Willy Wilson, put up a shot from about five feet and grabbed the offensive rebound for the put-back. Ginebra’s Rudy Hatfield was out of position to control the rebound as the ball bounced back to Washington and Wilson had no second lift to bat it away.

But Ginebra had about 13 seconds left to win it or lose it. Not once but twice again, Uichico chose Miller to make the big play. The match-up was the same as before. Santos was on top of Miller. Jimbo Aquino, the steel-nerved rookie who earlier in the quarter hit two triples, sat on the bench. Mark Caguioa, who sizzled for nine points in the third period, was on the floor.

Miller elected to drive down the baseline in a bold effort to challenge Santos’ length. With time running out, the referees did well not to blow their whistles. They let the players decide the outcome. There was some contact as Miller tried to sneak in a shot but it was negligible. Santos soared to block Miller’s attempt and the game was over.

It was Ginebra’s third loss this conference and third by a solitary point. The loss snapped Ginebra’s streak of six straight wins where the Kings walloped their opponents by an average winning margin of 16 points. For San Miguel, it was the Beermen’s eighth win in their last nine outings and pushed coach Ato Agustin’s personal record to 8-1 this conference, the only loss a 110-107 decision to Rain Or Shine last Nov. 7.

GS_googleAddAdSenseService("ca-pub-1876439796539993"); GS_googleEnableAllServices(); GA_googleAddSlot("ca-pub-1876439796539993", "PStar_Sports_Medallion_300x250"); GA_googleFetchAds(); GA_googleFillSlot("PStar_Sports_Medallion_300x250");Despite the loss, Ginebra remains the league’s No. 1 defensive team, allowing only 75.2 points a game. No other team is yielding less than 80. San Miguel slid from No. 1 to No. 2 in offense, averaging 92.2 points, but stayed on top of the standings with an overall record of 9-2.

Last season, Ginebra ranked No. 6 in defense, giving up 93.1 points a game. So the Kings’ showing this conference is a dramatic turnaround in terms of limiting the production of opposing teams.

The way I see it, Uichico orchestrated the turnaround with the help of three key men – Hatfield, Tubid and assistant coach Siot Tanquingcen. Hatfield epitomizes the blue-collar worker, ready to give it his all on the court. Tubid is a pesky defender who thrives in getting under your skin. Like Hatfield, he is unforgiving on the floor and never eases the pressure. Tanquingcen provides the framework for everything to come together.

Now that Uichico has shown it’s easier to win if the team plays tough defense, the other Kings are responding. Hatfield has given new meaning to the word “sacrifice” and the Kings are enjoying playing as a unit. Ginebra is No. 1 in the league in assists, averaging 20.4 a game, and also No. 1 in assists allowed, 15.0 an outing. In other defensive stats, Ginebra is No. 1 in field goal percentage allowed (.367) and fastbreak points allowed (7.3). Last season, Ginebra gave up .411 in field goal percentage and an average of 10.0 fastbreak points a game. The improvement is glaring.

Ginebra has reason to be optimistic of its title chances because the Kings were able to rack up a 7-3 record even as J. C. Intal has sat out the last five games and Eric Menk is still struggling after being sidelined for five contests. Jay-Jay Helterbrand hasn’t hit his stride offensively (although he isn’t looking to score as much as to set up teammates) and Menk is far from peak form.

Talo BGK. 1 point. Si Miller na naman ang huling humawak ng bola.

Overall, a good game. Dami turnovers ng BGK.

3rd loss.. pero nice game nga.. bat kaya di na binalik si jimbo? sya at si caguioa nagpahabol e.. mejo asar lang ako sa last defensive play nila.. hindi man lang pinalitan si wilson at pinasok sana si villanueva.. or kahit si yancy or mamaril.. wala sanang tip in si washington..

Let me guess kung sino ang nag-design ng play para kay Miller hehe. In fairness to Miller he had been doing great sa 6 game win streak ng Ginebra at maski sa laro nila againts the beermen except for that boo boo, ang daming libre noong nag-drive s'ya sana he just kick the ball out, mali din ang naging desisyon nila to put Wilson on Washington....

Let me guess kung sino ang nag-design ng play para kay Miller hehe. In fairness to Miller he had been doing great sa 6 game win streak ng Ginebra at maski sa laro nila againts the beermen except for that boo boo, ang daming libre noong nag-drive s'ya sana he just kick the ball out, mali din ang naging desisyon nila to put Wilson on Washington....

I agree! sana si Hatfield nlang nagbantay kay J-Wash nung last possession ng SMB! tapos si Menk kay Dorian!

malamang hindi na tip-in ni J-Wash un! or hindi siya nakatira!

about the last game...

sorry mga boss, somehow parang nag-dwell tayo sa tip in ni washington

bear in mind, mahaba pa po yung oras at that time, also if im not mistaken, after nung first shot, na-reset ang shot clock

the league's #1 offensive team as ganung kahabang oras....i'm pretty sure maka-ka-score sila

kung baga, in my mind habang nanunuod ako, inevitable ung change ng lead, if not washington, maaring iba

however, ang nagpatalo sa BGK is ung one-on-one isolation na ginawa nila kay miller contra arwind santos

meron pa silang 13 seconds to set up a play, pero inulit lang nila ung play na pumatay din sa kanila nung first outing nila

i think un ang mas critical possession at hindi ung offensive drive ng SMB previously

it was a game they could have won back, kaso ewan kung ung ginawa ni miller is designed nila AFTER A TIMEOUT or sadyang nag-bwakaw lang talaga si miller

Good point Amante ...

In hindsight, if my memory serves me right Miller was able to get pass Arwind for the drive. Sadyang malaki lang si Arwind kaya naabutan pa rin from behind.

I agree its a winnable game if only the Kings were able to adjust in either the last defensive or offensive play. Pero kahit natalo, personally am still satisfied na rin. I still think SMB had the match-up advantage over the Gin Kings kasi.

^^actually, being second to SMB isnt really a bad thing

ganun talaga sa classification phase, meron talagang kailangang maging #1 at #2

sa format ng PBA, walang masyadong advantage ang #1 sa #2....halos pareho lang

However, ang mahiwagang tanong really is.....kakayanin ba ng BGK ang TNT?

Sa totoo lang, kinabahan ako sa last minutes kasi nandun sa loob na naman si Miller. Sumabog ang coliseum nang maka dalawang tres si Tubid at mga daring at inspired na laro ni Bomb. Pero napansin ko ang daming fans ng BMeg! Natatalo kung minsan sa sigawan ang Barangay. Yan kaya ang dahilan ng mga nakaraan masamang coaching ni Jong? I heard na si Siot na raw ang nag de design ng defense plays ng Ginebra at 50-50 ang opinion nila ni Jong sa pag rotate ng mga tao. And, based sa aking mga spies, wala na raw problema ang mga players ng Barangay mas lalo ang franchise player Mike Spark.

Sa totoo lang, kinabahan ako sa last minutes kasi nandun sa loob na naman si Miller. Sumabog ang coliseum nang maka dalawang tres si Tubid at mga daring at inspired na laro ni Bomb. Pero napansin ko ang daming fans ng BMeg! Natatalo kung minsan sa sigawan ang Barangay. Yan kaya ang dahilan ng mga nakaraan masamang coaching ni Jong? I heard na si Siot na raw ang nag de design ng defense plays ng Ginebra at 50-50 ang opinion nila ni Jong sa pag rotate ng mga tao. And, based sa aking mga spies, wala na raw problema ang mga players ng Barangay mas lalo ang franchise player Mike Spark.

'Di lang ikaw bro pati ako, noong palitan nga ni Miller si Tubid naka-puntos agad si james yap, mabuti na lang at ibinalik si Tubid, kinabahan din ako doon sa 2 FT's ni Miller as he has this reputation to crack under pressure lalo na pag ganong dikit ang laban. E-Menk showed his old form, Caguiao is coming off the bench pero sila ni Menk ang 1-2 punch kagabi, then si Tubid na pang-Ginebra talaga ang laro at si Hatfield who seems to be somehow back in his old deadly form esp. sa rebounding. Pero hanep din talaga maglaro si PJ Simon, not much hype nor media milleage pero magaling 'di gaya noong team mate n'ya na puro media milleage dahil sa asawang artista....

..................artistang asawang baliw ph34r.gif . In fairness naman kay James Yap, syempre din may media mileage kasi MVP naman yung tao. His stats show naman. In the past PJ Simon's a sleeper, now lang sa past 4 games siya nagpakitang lakas wink.gif Back to Ginebra, I liked the way Hatfield fought for the ball last night mas lalo ng nag pa gulong gulong sila ni Aliado ata yun for the loose ball. Sana ganun si Yancy, di ba mga ka Barangay. Pero aasa pa ba tayo sa Yancy Aquino,este,de Ocampo? Sayang ang laki niya. When and susunod na laban? What time para ma sked ko sa pagbili ng ticket. Medyo nabawasan ang fans ng Ginebra dahil sa kagaguhan ni Jong early going. Buti napasok si Siot sa atin.

..................artistang asawang baliw ph34r.gif . In fairness naman kay James Yap, syempre din may media mileage kasi MVP naman yung tao. His stats show naman. In the past PJ Simon's a sleeper, now lang sa past 4 games siya nagpakitang lakas wink.gif Back to Ginebra, I liked the way Hatfield fought for the ball last night mas lalo ng nag pa gulong gulong sila ni Aliado ata yun for the loose ball. Sana ganun si Yancy, di ba mga ka Barangay. Pero aasa pa ba tayo sa Yancy Aquino,este,de Ocampo? Sayang ang laki niya. When and susunod na laban? What time para ma sked ko sa pagbili ng ticket. Medyo nabawasan ang fans ng Ginebra dahil sa kagaguhan ni Jong early going. Buti napasok si Siot sa atin.

i was watching the game last night and surprisingly rinig mo boos from bmeg fans! di ito nangyayari noon. obviously, mas marami na ang fans ng bmeg na nanonood ng live kagabi! outnumbered na ang baranggay ginebra... a championship might bring back the fans (including me :) )