All About Hongkong! Shopping, Hotels, Tourist Spots - Merged Threa

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got stranded in HKG last week. I got a hotel by the airport Regal Airport Hotel. the normal walk-in price was 145.00USD. I got it for 80.00USD. My reason was, I am a distressed passenger, stranded in HKG. Th lady talked to reservations and gaved me a room, taking pity of me. I was given a free breakfast buffet and bus tickets round trip to downtown. I asked what place, take bus 21a and atop at mong kok. I was so happy, I got the things I wanted, plus...very, very good food.

• 4 weeks later...
when you are in hongkong, where do you shop? are there any shopping goldmines aside from the usual tourist destinations? Do you have any tips on haggling with the locals? thanks.

I love Hong Kong for shopping! But you have to pick the right time to go - don't shop for clothes there during the winter, you'll see nothing but flannel and fleece. Whenever I'm there, I shop at H&M and Muji for the most part. If I see something really interesting, I might get a piece from Shanghai Tang as well. I usually buy my clothes at big chains like that, so I can't really call them "gold mines", since that implies that they're relatively obscure. As for haggling, you usually don't do that in these types of stores either. All that said, Hong Kong is absolutely my shopping Mecca.

Regarding the weather, the best time to go here is around January to March. But like others said, ung line of clothes na makikita mo is mostly pang winter.

Try mo July, mainit pero sale season sya.

Then just to add, try Fa Yuen street in Mongkok. Mecca for shoe lovers!

if you're going to HK to primarily shop for clothes, then the best time IMO to go is during sept. this is the time when retailers are stocking up on winter clothes, so most of their summer clothes are on sale.

but even if you go there after winter (april onwards), you'd still be able to buy a lot. a lot of shops there are perenially on sale / have a special promo, so you would always end up buying something.

go to mongkok for the cheapest finds. even the retail chains like giordano and bossini have better promos there. but central is also good, as it has a lot of designer boutiques.

try out men's night market (tama ba?) for men's accessories. i think it's near TST (please do correct me if i'm wrong).

happy shopping! :)

go to causeway bay din pala. i saw an ikea branch there. :)

Edited by webber
Question lang sa mga hongkong regulars.. I realized na pwede akong pa-book in advance via internet, pero pwede bang bumili ng tiket para sa shuttle bus going to my hotel in Kowloon (Imperial Hotel) once I arrived at the airport?

Yup sa HKIA ka na bumili para marami kang options. You can take the airport express to Kowloon then get on the free shuttle rides. I'm sure may stop yan na malapit sa hotel mo.

• 2 months later...

for the Shoppingerras, go to Tung Chung, Citygate Outlet. You'll find sport's wears, accessories, designer fashions and children's wear in an air-conditioned shopping mall. Its just a minute walk from Tung Chung MTR.

There are more than 50 stores with discounts up to 60% OFF, like Mango, PUMA, Adidas, Nike, Giordano, Esprit, CLub 21 (which houses DKNY, Armani), Prada, Coach, Burberry, Kate Spade etc. hinigop ako ng mga shops sa Hong Kong. buti nakalabas ako ng buhay!

puchangnang hong kong, ang mahal! this place is slowly losing its appeal as a shopping haven. well at least to me it is.

i recently went there to buy 2 things in particular: a watch and shoes.

unang tinanong ko yung watch na gusto ko kung magkano. anakngpucha, mas mura pa dito sa gb5 (may 6 mos 0% pa!). the guy manning the watch's official dealer (a european) couldn't believe that the model i was eyeing was much, much cheaper (~php50k) locally and advised me to be wary of buying a fake instead. even after i explained to him that there was an authorized dealer of the watches he was selling in manila, he offered to check the authenticity of the serial nos. via e-mail just in case i eventually bought one here. needless to say, i walked out of his store buying nothing.

then i was off to look for shoes. the first models i looked for were again more expensive than what i had previously seen.

first i wanted to look for was a particular porsche design model. unfortunately, this wasn't available anymore. i was however able to compare the prices of the other models of porsche design available in hk vs. the prices of the same models here at adidas gb3 and the latter were cheaper by around 1-2k. sheesh!

second shoe i was eying were y3's that i saw in hawaii just last april. while i was able to find the shoe (there were several y3 shops in hk), they were us$40+ more expensive in hk. ay caramba!

and there were many other items much more expensive in hk.

but to be fair, not everything was more expensive there. the watch i settled for was significantly cheaper than what it fetches locally. however, i don't think i will be going back to hk to shop which is the primary reason why i go there in the first place.

Edited by kanski

I agree on Kanski.... it's now too expensive to go shopping in hongkong compared here... was in HK last month and I compared prices, guess what, it's relatively cheaper here,the only difference in that there are more branded/signature shops there with wider selection of items/design.. here in the country sa big malls lang like Greenbelt area meron branded shops... ang medyo mura lang dun is yung mga bootleged items sa night market/street shops but quality wise, same lang ng items na mabibili sa divisoria/168 and mas magaganda pa yung nasa greenhills

Edited by onamae_wa
  • 2 weeks later...

Y-3 shops in HK are by D-MOP which also owned Y-3 Shops in China (Hangzhou, Shanghai etc).Their prices are quite higher compared to y-3 online. I buy mostly from US or UK especially around June/July and Dec/January which is their end of the season sale at 30-50% discount.

^

i wish i knew that d-mop sold their y-3's higher than the stores in the states. otherwise i would've bought the pair i saw the month before i went to hong kong.

just to clarify, you did say that you source your y-3's from the us or uk but not necessarily online, right?

^

i wish i knew that d-mop sold their y-3's higher than the stores in the states. otherwise i would've bought the pair i saw the month before i went to hong kong.

just to clarify, you did say that you source your y-3's from the us or uk but not necessarily online, right?

not all things are cheaper in hongkong, adidas superstars are a little more expensive, but pumas in mongkok are a little bit cheaper, but some brands are relatively cheap, uniqlo, h&m are quite reasonable, normally i go to hongkong to buy things that are not found in the philippines, kasi kung meron dito, whats the point of having it..hehe

n

^

I usually bought my y-3 items at y-3 store online (http://y-3store.adidas.com/).As for UK, you got boloonline, aspecto and john-anthony.I've been to D-Mop store in HK and even y-3 store in China (especially the y-3 store in Golden Eagle Shopping Mall, Shanghai) and they price is really expensive.Homme et Femme price in Shangrila Mall is reasonable compared to them.

If you're in the states , you can call their outlet store in Orlando (407)477-8604 and order thru phone and have them ship to your address in US as long as you're using a US issued credit card.They usually carry the past seasons stocks.

^

thanks for sharing. i particularly appreciate knowing that they have an outlet store in orlando. can't wait.

naiinis lang ako because i had the chance to buy the y-3 while i was in honolulu last april (ahem :D) for us$200 but i didn't fork the dough knowing i'd be in hong kong after 2 weeks. tapos us$240 pala yung same shoe sa hong kong. big mistake.

not all things are cheaper in hongkong..

bro, it used to be.. unfortunately, times have changed.

but you are right about buying things not found here. made me laugh there. :lol:

kaso, almost everything can be bought here. and the ones (brands) that aren't, i don't particularly sponsor. :D