Motorcycles and Scooters

Hi guys! Have you heard of the Motorstar z200 explorer. Its a 200cc motor thats made in china. Any feedbacks on this motor regarding its performance? Its pretty cheap kse compared to the other bikes.....looks good pa. I just dont know its performance....

i've seen it and looks like a small sized big bike. i'm not quite sure though about the performance, but i would suggest you get a japanese or taiwan (sym, kymco) bike. they have proven their reliability, high resale value plus tons of spares.

according to a friend of mine who has ridden a z200 already, handling isn't one of it's best traits. i'd imagine that i falls below what the japanese bikes of similar size are capable of. another friend who owns one said that though it doesn't have razor-edge handling, it's ok for everyday use. granted it's slower than some underbones that currently available in the market, it's big bike looks is it's main selling point.

for it's price, you could buy a japanese bike but it would be a 10 (or more) years old bike. there are a lot of other trade-offs. just weigh them 1st before you put down your hard-earned cash.

• 3 weeks later...

can't go wrong with hondas. best bet is a nc23 CBR400RR tri-arm or a nc24/30 VFR400. looks good, lots of parts, pretty quick, not that expensive, and it holds its resale value fairly well.

you could also go the 250cc route which is even cheaper but a little harder to find second hand. They're also technically not highway-legal, but who really checks anymore? good 4-stroke 250 choices include the honda CBR250 and kawasaki ZXR250, which are fairly common.

another reccomendable bike is the honda NSR250 2-stroke, which also looks good and is often cheaper and much lighter to handle. unfortunately, 2-strokes cost a little more in terms of consumption and maintenance. they also smoke a lot and sound like lawnmowers compared to their 4-stroke bretheren, which is why spending a little more for a 4-stroke is a better idea.

ah-hah!!!! stroker bashing huh. hahaha... but suicide boy is right about the 2-strokers but who cares about consumption and maintenance when it can haul ass. hehehe...(obviously, you can tell i own a 2-stroker).

as mentioned earlier, the 250cc 4-strokers would be perfect for you since as you said, you're only after the looks. the honda cbr250, kawasaki zxr250, yamaha fzr250, suzuki gsxr250 are a few of your possible choices.

i have nothing against 2 strokers. i actually recently bought a '92 honda HRC RS250 that i was going to use for racing. USD forks, everything fully adjustable, no starter, no keys, no lights, dry clutch, total loss wiring, super light and everything HRC! Unfortunately, only street-spec bikes are allowed at the local BRC races. non-production race bikes are illegal. Besides that, the piston rings have to be replaced every 300kms, the pistons every 500kms, the connecting rods every 1000kms, and the crank at around every 1500kms just to keep it running in top form to race it seriously. Even the cylinders and heads are consumable. And with the rebuild kit costing over $1500 USD, i'd much rather race my Duc. Instead, i got myself a Honda RVF to race the 400 series. But what i would give to race the RS... with 80+ bhp at the rear wheel, it's power to weight ratio is phenomenal. i'd bet it would put a few 600's to shame.

hey stroker, i'm starting to think maybe i know who you are... lol

Don, 2nd hand is fine. search the forums at www.motorcycleasia.com or www.motorcyclephilippines.com for tips on buying a 2nd hand bike. expect to spend anywhere between 80 to 100++ grand for a 250. But i'm sure you could find one for as low as 60k if your lucky. be patient and look around. good luck!