Coolest Decade To Live In?

@muttley

Correct me if I'm wrong but the area in front of Kimpura was one big parking lot.

Sir Muttley, if you'll allow me to answer this one....Kimpura used to be located where the old Makati Supermarket used to be. Makati Supermarket faced Manarao and like I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a parking lot that stood between Makati Supermarket and Maranao. So present-day Landmark occupies what used to be the parking lot separating Makati Supermarket and Maranao and extends all the way to those stores fronting the old Rizal Theater (eg. Bookmark, Pancake House, Metrophil, etc. ) Sir Muttley if you think somehow my memory of the place is erroneous, please feel free to correct me. I'd really appreciate it. If you confirm it, then sir Nick Fury will have his answer.

Sir Muttley, if you'll allow me to answer this one....Kimpura used to be located where the old Makati Supermarket used to be. Makati Supermarket faced Manarao and like I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a parking lot that stood between Makati Supermarket and Maranao. So present-day Landmark occupies what used to be the parking lot separating Makati Supermarket and Maranao and extends all the way to those stores fronting the old Rizal Theater (eg. Bookmark, Pancake House, Metrophil, etc. ) Sir Muttley if you think somehow my memory of the place is erroneous, please feel free to correct me. I'd really appreciate it. If you confirm it, then sir Nick Fury will have his answer.

I can only recall (and the previous picture is proof of that) was that the open parking lot faced the Pasay Road side, across Makati Supermarket's side entrance (towards the bigger Ansons building). Maranaw arcade (now Landmark) faced the supermarket's main entrance. Beside Maranaw (towards Ayala Ave.) were the bowling center with the barber shop, Ayala Arcade (Bookmark, etc.), another open parking lot, Rizal Theater and finally the smaller arcade (original Alemars site).

As for Kimpura, my best recollection was that before its current Greenbelt 5 site, it had three previous sites in Makati:

1. The original site was in Lising Arcade (now Glorietta 4 and Rustan's extension) which was next to Rustans and it shared the same open parking lot with Syvel's and Angela Arcade (see previous picture).

2. Later, a smaller outlet named Kimpura Garden was put up at the old Fastfood Center building which was across the side entrance of Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel). The old Fastfood Center and the Makati Rotary building next to it later became the expanded portion of SM Makati. When the old Fastfood Center closed down, so did this Kimpura Garden. The space at the original Kimpura in Lising Arcade was expanded during the late 80s.

3. During the 90s, Lising and Angela arcades were to be torn down to give way to Glorietta 4. Kimpura transferred to the second floor of renovated Makati Supermarket (by that time, the supermarket had closed down and moved to Alabang) sharing space in the second floor with Peking Garden. The most of the Makati Supermarket building's ground floor was integrated with Glorietta 3. They remained here until the tragic Glorietta 3 explosion. Years later, they resumed business in Makati at the present site (Greenbelt 5).

That's the best recollection from my feeble memory and the help of old pictures.

Edited by muttley

Thanks Bugatti but, with all due respect, I was asking for confirmation from muttley if the area facing Kimpura in the picture he posted was a big parking lot. If I'm not mistaken. there was a Tesoro's in Lising Arcade.smile.gif

Makati Supermarket is where Greenbelt 3 is now. smile.gif

The original Kimpura was in Lising Arcade (see left part of picture) and faced the open carpark it shared with neighboring Angela Arcade (which is further left of the photo, had the shot been expanded). That portion became the front of Glorietta 4.

http://heart-2-heart-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/old-rustans-makati-01.jpg

The Makati Supermarket building was located in Glorietta 2, the site of the 2007 explosion. (Erratum: In my previous post, I mistakenly typed Glorietta 3 when it should be Glorietta 2.) The only former supermaket in the original Greenbelt was United Supermarket.

Tesoro's - My best recollection was that Tesoro's used to be in the back portion of the Makati Rotary building (facing original structure of the current SM Makati - see note below). Makati Rotary building was beside the old Fastfood Center (both were facing the soon-to-be-demolished Park Square 1 and Manila Garden Hotel [now Dusit Thani Hotel]) and it had Tesoro's, Cindy's Hamburger and the Makati Post Office among its tenants. As I posted earlier, the Makati Rotary building and the old Fastfood Center later become part of SM Makati's main building.

Note: It should also be noted that first site of SM Makati was across the Rustan's Duty Free Shop and Rizal Theater. The current site is its second site.

[/size]

How many arcades were there in the Makati Commercial Center during the pre-Glorietta days? I was aware of Quad, Goldcrest, and Lising Arcade since we used to frequent those places. Angela Arcade is the arcade across Maranao Arcade, right? Goldcrest was in front of a Sanrio Shop.

Anson's used to have a Christmas display and people went there at night to park and watch the display.

Pre-Glorietta days, there were numerous arcades in Makati Commercial Center (the original name of Ayala Center). Originally, Glorietta was just the open plaza behind the original Quad.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq38upImt31r1decao1_500.jpg

This later became the central hub of Glorietta 1-4.

http://www.ditona-beach.net/spencer/images/manila/makati_mall.jpg

Glorietta 1 - Originally known as The Quad. This picture shows the first front entrance of the old Quad. The open parking became Park Square 1.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/georgerev/Quad74.jpg

Glorietta 2 - Part of the Makati Supermarket building. First known as Quad II, later renamed Glorietta 2. Beside Glorietta 2 (towards Pasay Road) was Goldcrest building.

Glorietta 3 - The picture shows the original structure Poulex Department Store (later Fairmart/Plaza Fair) before it was redeveloped into The North Mall in 1981. The foreground (left) was Mercury Drug and (right) Automat Center (later becoming the first site of Jade Garden). The North Mall would house the first McDonald's Makati, the second Alemar's bookstore, Cinderella, relocated Mercury Drug. The North Mall was later redeveloped into Glorietta 3 during the 1990s.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/986080101_6f88dbbea6.jpg

Another old icon which was folded into Glorietta 3 was Sulo Restaurant, which was beside Makati Supermarket. This is currently the Glorietta entrance facing Landmark.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/nostalgiamanila/places/sulo_restaurant60s.jpg

Glorietta 4 - The entire front part of Glorietta 4 consisted of the old Lising Arcade, Syvel's/Max Chicken and Angela Arcade. Lising Arcade (now Rustan's extension up to Heaven and Eggs), Syvel's/Max (G4 main entrance) and Angela Arcade (Ascott Hotel/Tony Roma's up to Outback).

The other arcades in the old MCC were:

1. Pasay Road (Makati Ave. to EDSA):

a. West Drive Arcade (now Fairmont/Raffles hotel) which housed Erewhon bookstore, Philippine Education Company (later Pilipinas Nissan showroon), Jazzie boutique, Big 20.

b. Anson's (soon to be Park Terraces) where the Christmas display was staged.

c. The first site of The Plaza (which later transferred over to Greenbelt).

d. Showroom Arcade (furniture shops)

e. Kowloon House Restaurant

f. Park Square 1 (Quad Amusement Center)

g. Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel)

2. Makati Ave. (Pasay Road to Ayala Ave.):

a. West Drive Arcade

b. Maranaw Arcade

c. Bowling Center with barber shop

d. Ayala Arcade

e. Rizal Theater

f. The first site of Alemar's bookstore

3. Ayala Ave. (Makati Ave. to EDSA):

a. The first site of Alemar's bookstore

b. Anson's Auto Shop #1 (now 6750 Tower)

c. Rustan's Duty Free (now 6750 Tower)

d. The first site of SM Makati (in front of Rustan's Duty Free) and adjacent to it was Automat Center (now Gold's Gym)

e. ___ Arcade (between the Rustan's Duty Free and Rustan's Makati; now the steel carpark)

f. Rustan's Makati

g. Hotel Intercontinental

h. Carpark

As for Sanrio Gift Gate, I think the original store was in Park Square 1. Where it moved after that, I cannot recall anymore because I'm not a Sanrio customer.

Edited by muttley

Glorietta 4 front row (from Rustan's towards SM Makati) used to be Lising Arcade, Bricktown and Angela Arcade.

Inside Bricktown were Syvel's, Funhouse (joke novelty shop), the first Greenwich Pizza shop (actually, a counter) and the first Makati site of Max's Chicken.

And speaking of Max Chicken:

1. First Makati site was inside Bricktown. When Bricktown was torn down to give way to Glorietta 4, it moved to the site previously occupied by the Showroom Arcade (near Pasay Road, across Park Square 1) where it remained until it was torn down a few years ago. There's a Max's inside the New Glorietta 1/2 now.

2. The second Makati site was over at Greenbelt beside La Tasca. It later moved to Greenbelt 1 where it remains today (beside Dulcinea), when the old La Tasca and Schwarzwalder buildings were torn down to give way to the present site of Ayala Museum and Greenbelt 4/5.

Edited by muttley

I can only recall (and the previous picture is proof of that) was that the open parking lot faced the Pasay Road side, across Makati Supermarket's side entrance (towards the bigger Ansons building). Maranaw arcade (now Landmark) faced the supermarket's main entrance. Beside Maranaw (towards Ayala Ave.) were the bowling center with the barber shop, Ayala Arcade (Bookmark, etc.), another open parking lot, Rizal Theater and finally the smaller arcade (original Alemars site).

As for Kimpura, my best recollection was that before its current Greenbelt 5 site, it had three previous sites in Makati:

1. The original site was in Lising Arcade (now Glorietta 4 and Rustan's extension) which was next to Rustans and it shared the same open parking lot with Syvel's and Angela Arcade (see previous picture).

2. Later, a smaller outlet named Kimpura Garden was put up at the old Fastfood Center building which was across the side entrance of Manila Garden Hotel (now Dusit Thani Hotel). The old Fastfood Center and the Makati Rotary building next to it later became the expanded portion of SM Makati. When the old Fastfood Center closed down, so did this Kimpura Garden. The space at the original Kimpura in Lising Arcade was expanded during the late 80s.

3. During the 90s, Lising and Angela arcades were to be torn down to give way to Glorietta 4. Kimpura transferred to the second floor of renovated Makati Supermarket (by that time, the supermarket had closed down and moved to Alabang) sharing space in the second floor with Peking Garden. The most of the Makati Supermarket building's ground floor was integrated with Glorietta 3. They remained here until the tragic Glorietta 3 explosion. Years later, they resumed business in Makati at the present site (Greenbelt 5).

That's the best recollection from my feeble memory and the help of old pictures.

Yes most of the things you mentioned here are accurate. The others I simply cannot remember. There indeed was a large open air parking lot outside the side entrance of Makati Supermarket that extended towards Pasay Road. I don't remember if Anson's was already there during the early '70's. This parking lot eventually became Park Square 2.

And just to the side of this parking lot was The Plaza which was located just across the original site of Anson's

That smaller arcade behind Rizal theater housed Alemars, D'Bankers (barber shop), an appliance store (Automatic??) among others.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center. I wonder what Makati Commercial Center will look like 30 years from now...

I don't know if you remember that at the far end of Automat was Steak Express which was jut opposite the old Mercury Drug Store. Beyond that was Poulex Department Store which can be clearly seen in this photo.

By the way since the old Automat was demolished I haven't seen any automated dispensing machines like one still sees today in the US. Back then the Automat had machines that dispensed sandwiches, soft drinks, coffee, even cigarettes. I suppose these automated dispensing machines were expensive to maintain and prone to vandalism.

Yes most of the things you mentioned here are accurate. The others I simply cannot remember. There indeed was a large open air parking lot outside the side entrance of Makati Supermarket that extended towards Pasay Road. I don't remember if Anson's was already there during the early '70's. This parking lot eventually became Park Square 2.

And just to the side of this parking lot was The Plaza which was located just across the original site of Anson's

That smaller arcade behind Rizal theater housed Alemars, D'Bankers (barber shop), an appliance store (Automatic??) among others.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center. I wonder what Makati Commercial Center will look like 30 years from now...

Yes, your recollection about the history of the Park Square 2/The Plaza are quite right. The Anson's Pasay Road building was put up during the mid-70s and became popular for staging its own Christmas attraction (like the COD Dept. Store in Cubao) during the 70s.

And I might add, maybe Maranaw and the bowling center had a small front entrance parking kaya ganoon yung recollection mo.

Yes, your recollection of the smaller arcade behind Rizal Theater is quite right too. Its probably Automatic Appliance Center nga (sometimes I confuse it with Anson's kasi magkamukha yung logos nila). Automatic later moved to its own building where the Rustan's steel parking is currently located.

I miss the old MCC (and the old Magallanes Commercial Center) too because it wasn't so stressful to go there back in those days. Just drive to the open carpark in front of whatever store you're going and that's it (just like in the USA). Good times. Unlike today with all the mall buildings, heavy volume of cars and people.

As for the future of Ayala Center, currently the developments are focused over at the Pasay Road side. After Fairmont Raffles (West Drive Arcade) and Park Terraces (Anson's, Park Square2), the next to be torn down will be Park Square 1 (to clear the way for Garden Towers). No word yet about Glorietta 3/4, Dusit Thani Hotel and Hotel Intercon.

http://www.ayalapropertyexpert.com/gt-map.jpg

Edited by muttley

90s. a bit of the old. a bit of the new. all coming together.

Yes the 90's were sort of a transition between yesteryears and the present. There has been a signinficant change in Ayala Center in the past 5 years. Now even the covered parking lot at Park Square is closed for demolition/renovation??

I hope this venue will still serve as a parking area for the ever increasing volume of vehicles.

Yes the 90's were sort of a transition between yesteryears and the present. There has been a signinficant change in Ayala Center in the past 5 years. Now even the covered parking lot at Park Square is closed for demolition/renovation??

I hope this venue will still serve as a parking area for the ever increasing volume of vehicles.

Park Square 1 will be demolished to give way to the Garden Tower condominium. As for parking, there's additional parking below Landmark, Park Terraces, and the new Glorietta 1/2.

@bugattiveyron: I finally remembered the name of the bowling center. It was Coronado Lanes and Barber Shop, the one beside Maranaw and across Makati Supermarket and Sulo Restaurant. After the Landmark group took over this site and the Maranaw site, Coronado moved to the Anson's Greenbelt building at Pasay Rd corner Paseo de Roxas until Anson's was demolished a few years ago to make way for The Residences condominium.

Edited by muttley

Park Square 1 will be demolished to give way to the Garden Tower condominium. As for parking, there's additional parking below Landmark, Park Terraces, and the new Glorietta 1/2.

@bugattiveyron: I finally remembered the name of the bowling center. It was Coronado Lanes and Barber Shop, the one beside Maranaw and across Makati Supermarket and Sulo Restaurant. After the Landmark group took over this site and the Maranaw site, Coronado moved to the Anson's Greenbelt building at Pasay Rd corner Paseo de Roxas until Anson's was demolished a few years ago to make way for The Residences condominium.

Yeah Coronado Lanes. I remember that. Wasn't there a burger joint near there as well? I remember watching movies at Rizal Theater and then grabbing a burger there before going home. Also wasn't there a Philippine Education nearby? Hmm I seen to have forgotten the names of the establishments in that particular area. I even vaguely remember playing with slot cars at Philippine Education. That was way back in the 60's.

Another condominium? Darned, I was hoping they would just refurbish Park Square. Ang dami nang condominium sa Ayala Center. Parking areas seem to be getting more scarce or located in heavy traffic areas. Traffic in the Park Square area wasn't so bad. And I liked the location and the way the parking lot was designed. I will miss this place especially since I still remember when it used to be an open air parking space facing Quad back in the early 70's.

Seems sentimentality doesn't fit in at all with the plans of the Ayala Group. In all the old photos you posted, the only one that looks the same and timeless is the Intercontinental Hotel. Even Rustan's looks different today. The rest of Ayala Center would be totally unrecognizable to a balikbayan who last saw the place in the early 70's. For all intents and purposes, the Ayala Group changed the entire face of this part of Makati.

Yeah Coronado Lanes. I remember that. Wasn't there a burger joint near there as well? I remember watching movies at Rizal Theater and then grabbing a burger there before going home. Also wasn't there a Philippine Education nearby? Hmm I seen to have forgotten the names of the establishments in that particular area. I even vaguely remember playing with slot cars at Philippine Education. That was way back in the 60's.

Big 20 hamburger? It was located at West Drive Arcade (now Fairmont Raffles). Phil. Education, Erehwon bookstore were also located there. By 1983/84, Phil. Education closed down and the space became the first Pilipinas Nissan showroom.

Big 20 didn't stay in business long. It tasted quite good though.

Edited by muttley

Another condominium? Darned, I was hoping they would just refurbish Park Square. Ang dami nang condominium sa Ayala Center. Parking areas seem to be getting more scarce or located in heavy traffic areas. Traffic in the Park Square area wasn't so bad. And I liked the location and the way the parking lot was designed. I will miss this place especially since I still remember when it used to be an open air parking space facing Quad back in the early 70's.

Seems sentimentality doesn't fit in at all with the plans of the Ayala Group. In all the old photos you posted, the only one that looks the same and timeless is the Intercontinental Hotel. Even Rustan's looks different today. The rest of Ayala Center would be totally unrecognizable to a balikbayan who last saw the place in the early 70's. For all intents and purposes, the Ayala Group changed the entire face of this part of Makati.

Sentimentality NEVER WAS part of the Ayala masterplan, even with the original masterplan drew up during the time of Joe McMicking. The dictum from the old masterplan was To enable controlled evolution every 20-25 years.

Edited by muttley

Sentimentality NEVER WAS part of the Ayala masterplan, even with the original masterplan drew up during the time of Joe McMicking. The dictum from the old masterplan was To enable controlled evolution every 20-25 years.

Wasn't there a single building in the old commercial center that was declared a national historical monument? Meaning it couldn't be demolished unilaterally? Well to answer my own question, I guess not. For a building to attain national status, I suppose it should have been left standing for at least 50 years. I'm not an expert in the process of declaring a building a national treasure but I imagine the age of the building and its historical significance will be significant factors. I don't think any of the old Ayala buildings have any historical value and they were demolished only 20-30 years after they were constructed to make way for newer developments.

Yet, seeing these old photos makes me a bit sad. I long for those long gone days when life was so much simpler.

Big 20 hamburger? It was located at West Drive Arcade (now Fairmont Raffles). Phil. Education, Erehwon bookstore were also located there. By 1983/84, Phil. Education closed down and the space became the first Pilipinas Nissan showroom.

Big 20 didn't stay in business long. It tasted quite good though.

No that name doesn't ring a bell. It was something else. Do you recall the name of famous burger joints in the 70's?

No that name doesn't ring a bell. It was something else. Do you recall the name of famous burger joints in the 70's?

During the 70s, burger places weren't really found except at coffee shops like the one inside Makati and United Supermarkets.

Tropical Hut hamburger was way out in the Tropical Hut Supermarket in Ortigas corner EDSA.

Burger joints started coming in Makati Commercial Center around 1980 with Big 20 Hamburger. McDonalds entered Makati in 1983. Jollibee too. The first Wendy's was in Makati around that time too.

The owners of Makati SM, who held the Orange Julius franchise back then, opened their own burger brand called King Burger and placed it side by side with the Orange Julius counter inside the supermarket.

Outside MCC, there was this little place called Bobby MacGee's along Pasay Rd across the present New World Hotel. Pero I've never set foot there. Friends say it was not bad daw.

That's all all I can remember as far as old burger joints pre-Glorietta are concerned.

Edited by muttley

During the 70s, burger places weren't really found except at coffee shops like the one inside Makati and United Supermarkets.

Tropical Hut hamburger was way out in the Tropical Hut Supermarket in Ortigas corner EDSA.

Burger joints started coming in Makati Commercial Center around 1980 with Big 20 Hamburger. McDonalds entered Makati in 1983. Jollibee too. The first Wendy's was in Makati around that time too.

The owners of Makati SM, who held the Orange Julius franchise back then, opened their own burger brand called King Burger and placed it side by side with the Orange Julius counter inside the supermarket.

Outside MCC, there was this little place called Bobby MacGee's along Pasay Rd across the present New World Hotel. Pero I've never set foot there. Friends say it was not bad daw.

That's all all I can remember as far as old burger joints pre-Glorietta are concerned.

Yes Bobby MacGee's sounds familiar. This could have been the one I used to go to. As far as I can recall it was located very near the building that housed Philippine Education. Or perhaps the building that housed Coronado Lanes. I used to go there in the mid to late 70's if I'm not mistaken. Any idea when Rizal Theater was demolished? Because I used to visit this burger joint after watching a movie at Rizal Theater.

Didn't Coronado Lanes move to Magallanes? Are they still around?

Yes Bobby MacGee's sounds familiar. This could have been the one I used to go to. As far as I can recall it was located very near the building that housed Philippine Education. Or perhaps the building that housed Coronado Lanes. I used to go there in the mid to late 70's if I'm not mistaken. Any idea when Rizal Theater was demolished? Because I used to visit this burger joint after watching a movie at Rizal Theater.

Like I previously mentioned, Bobby Magee's (I finally got the correct spelling) was not in the MCC.

Yung nasa Coronado's was Magoo's Pizza. I cannot recall anymore if there was another burger establishment in the MCC besides the ones I mentioned in previous posts.

Could you perhaps be thinking of Cafe Rizal (originally known as Leila's) which was right beside Rizal Theater?

Rizal Theater was torn down 1989, I believe.

Edited by muttley

Didn't Coronado Lanes move to Magallanes? Are they still around?

The one in Magallanes was Astrobowl, also part of AMF-Puyat like Coronado. The first Magoo's Pizza was over there.

Both are no longer in Makati. But I believe they are still operating elsewhere.

Edited by muttley

The one in Magallanes was Astrobowl, also part of AMF-Puyat like Coronado. The first Magoo's Pizza was over there.

Both are no longer in Makati. But I believe they are still operating elsewhere.

Oh okay. Thanks for that clarification. Seem to have gotten the names of the bowling establishments mixed up. But if I'm not mistaken, Astrobowl used to occupy the space where Honda Cars Magallanes now occupies. Again, I can't be 100% certain. What I am quite certain about is that it was located at the far end of the Magallanes Commercial Center close to the Shell gas station.