Coolest Decade To Live In?

• 4 months later...

Shangrila Makati is where Rizal theater used to be.

I agree. The parking then was hassle-free.

Late 70s to early 80s would be the years I would like to live in.

Yeah and right across the large empty parking lot from Rizal theater was the row of stores which included Bookmark, Metrophil, Happy Feet, Pancake House among others. I actually still remember buying my school textbooks at Bookmark. All hard bound, made in the USA. Sobrang bigat ang school bag ko!! He he he.

Further down the road on the left was Makati Supermarket and across that was Maranaw. Going towards Pasay Road was another large parking. One of the landmarks in that area was The Plaza.

This is like going down memory lane. Am feeling quite nostalgic just writing this.....

Shangrila Makati is where Rizal theater used to be.

I agree. The parking then was hassle-free.

Late 70s to early 80s would be the years I would like to live in.

Yeah and right across the large empty parking lot from Rizal theater was the row of stores which included Bookmark, Metrophil, Happy Feet, Pancake House among others. I actually still remember buying my school textbooks at Bookmark. All hard bound, made in the USA. Sobrang bigat ang school bag ko!! He he he.

Further down the road on the left was Makati Supermarket and across that was Maranaw. Going towards Pasay Road was another large parking. One of the landmarks in that area was The Plaza.

This is like going down memory lane. Am feeling quite nostalgic just writing this.....

I remember Bookmark but I forgot where it was. Mercury Drug was in front of Rustans, which is still Rustans.I don't quite recall if there was a Pancake House, Metrophil and Happy Feet. 6750, if I'm not mistaken, used to be Rustans Supermarket.

The row of stores between Maranaw Arcade and Rizal theater - which included Bookmark, Metrophil Drug Store, Happy Feet (Birkenstocks), Pancake House (2nd branch) - is now that side of the Landmark building which faces The Link (Ansons).

The site of the present 6750 office tower used to be Ansons Auto Shop and Rustan's Duty Free Shop.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6030/5983919748_cee139e65b.jpg

Edited by muttley

Yeah. You're right. Rustan's Duty Free Shop. This picture was taken in the 70s or early 80s because Landmark opened in 1988 or 1989. I can't recall what Landmark was then but I know that the original Mcdonald's in Makati is now Mercury Drug in Glorietta 4. If I'm not mistaken, Alemars was beside Mcdonald's. Would you know what buldings are on the right side of the picture? The two buildings where Landmark is now to be exact.

Great picture muttley. I feel nostalgic just by looking at this picture. wink.gif

Also, would you know that building across Urdaneta Apartments? I think that building occupied the land where Shell Edsa-Mckinley is now.

Landmark - The larger building was the Maranaw arcade. Wasn't the smaller building a bowling center?

Ayala cor. EDSA (beside Urdaneta apartments) was and still is the Makati Garden Club.

McKinley cor. EDSA was and still is the Shell Gas Station.

And the name of the blue arcade (where Bookmark, etc used to be) was the Ayala Arcade.

Edited by muttley

Yeah. You're right. Rustan's Duty Free Shop. This picture was taken in the 70s or early 80s because Landmark opened in 1988 or 1989. I can't recall what Landmark was then but I know that the original Mcdonald's in Makati is now Mercury Drug in Glorietta 4. If I'm not mistaken, Alemars was beside Mcdonald's. Would you know what buldings are on the right side of the picture? The two buildings where Landmark is now to be exact.

Great picture muttley. I feel nostalgic just by looking at this picture. wink.gif

Also, would you know that building across Urdaneta Apartments? I think that building occupied the land where Shell Edsa-Mckinley is now.

Landmark occupies what used to be Maranao. Makati Supermarket was across Maranao. Today Landmark is right across Glorietta. But just to clarify. When you cross over to Landmark from Glorietta, as soon as you step into the curb, you're already right by the entrance/exit of Landmark. In the case of Makati Supermarket and Maranao, as soon as you exit Makati Supermarket, you still had to walk clear across an open parking lot to get to Maranao. Maranao was a whole lot smaller that the present day Landmark.

As far as Shell Edsa-Mckinley Rd. goes, I think this has always been Shell. As far as I can remember, Shell has been in that particular site.

I noticed that Dusit-Thani (used to be called Niko Hotel) is already present in this photo. I remember a time when this was an empty lot that was used by a "peryahan" back in the early 70's particularly during Christmas time. I remember winning many stuffed animals shooting a basketball through a hoop. Nalugi ata ang operator sa akin. He he he....

The row of stores between Maranaw Arcade and Rizal theater - which included Bookmark, Metrophil Drug Store, Happy Feet (Birkenstocks), Pancake House (2nd branch) - is now that side of the Landmark building which faces The Link (Ansons).

The site of the present 6750 office tower used to be Ansons Auto Shop and Rustan's Duty Free Shop.

I imagine that the present day Landmark occupies what used to be Maranao AND that row of stores which included Bookmark, Metrophil, Pancake House, etc. The Link now occupies what used to be part of the open parking lot between Rizal Theater and that row of stores. I also now just noticed the old Quad building.

Yeah I'm likewise getting very nostalgic about those days. Thanks for posting this great photo Muttley. If I ever come across any old photos of Makati, I'll be sure to share these as well.

Edited by Bugatti Veyron

Yes, the Makati Garden Club. The building I'm referring to is the tall building across the Urdaneta Apartments. At the top left of the picture.

I barely remember the Maranao Arcade. What I remember most is the area where Glorietta 4 is now. The landmark that is etched in my memory is the Kimpura restaurant which is now part of Glorietta 4. SM has always been there as far as I can remember. There used to be a Tesoro's, which is in the same arcade of Kimpura.

The tall building (top left) is the Urdaneta Apartments. The smaller one next to it is the site of the Twin Towers (see my comment below).

The Hotel Intercontinental Manila in 1969.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8udmo5OjM1qc0anwo1_500.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the mid rise condominium to the right of Intercon is the Gilarmi Apartments. Of course, the Ritz and Twin Towers weren't even a speck in the eye of their developers. The location of the two posh high rise condominiums would be that big square space beside Gilarmi. Tuscany wasn't yet built. Tuscany was built in the early 70s.

Its not the Gilarmi because its the site of the Twin Towers. I cannot recall the name of that building which previously stood on that site. The Gilarmi is the one nearest to Rizal Theater.

Edited by muttley

Mid-80s ang taon ng ako’y nakatapos sa kolehiyo. Hindi ako nahihiya na banggitin ang aking edad. Naniniwala ako sa kasabihang "kalabaw lang ang tumatanda". Inaamin ko'ng nag-enjoy ako sa panahong hindi pa talo ng mga cable shows ang mga tv stations, hindi pa naaadik ang mga kabataan sa mga online games, uso pa ang patintero, luksong tinik, taguan at marami pang mga bagay. Wala pang Starbucks kaya’t mura lang ang kape kina Aling Binay sa karinderia. Wala pang text, email, at www (world wide web) kung kaya’t ang ligawan ay dalisay at spontaneous. Maigsi pa ang shorts pang-basketbol (ala-Jaworski) at pangit at outcast kung ituring ang mga skinhead at naka-white side wall na gupit. Mga scribbled love notes, hated-sundo sa bahay ng dyowa, atbp… Kayo ba’y laking 80s?

1. Pogi ka kung kasama sa porma mo ang SperryTopsiders, K-Swiss, Espadrilles (na pinilahan mo pa sa Whistle Stop o sa Cash and Carry), Tretorn or Dragonfly sneakers, white Spartan sneakers, argyle socks, woven leather belts, Chaser, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren at iba pa, one-size-fits-all Hanes T-shirt with the print of your favorite New Wave band, pabangong Chaps, Bowling Green , Gray Flannel or Kouros, Denman brushes, Dippity Do or Dep hair gel, Bermuda shorts worn with plaid long-sleeves.

2. Macho ka kung ang porma mo ay parang kay Don Johnson ng Miami Vice at kung naglalaro ka ng football o nag-aaral ka ng t** kwon do or marunong mag butterfly kick tulad ni Ralph Macchio sa Karate Kid. Sobrang macho ka kung may pandesal ka sa tiyan habang nakasuot ng hanging shirt.

3. Pretty ka kung meron kang pencil-cut skirt (calf-length, three to four inches above the ankle), pabangong Nenuco o De Ne Nes, permed hair a la Madonna or teased bangs na pinatigas ng Aquanet, shoulder pads ala Joan Collin a.k.a. Alexis Carrington in Dynasty), Benetton shirt, Esprit outfit at namimili ka ng gamit sa Sari-Sari, Tokyo Hannah,Tickles and Regina 's in Shoppesville.

4. In na in ka kung napuntahan mo ang mga concerts nina Mike Francis, Swing Out Sisters, Menudo, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Ingram, Genesis, Spandau Ballet, Christopher Cross, at Duran Duran noong unang punta pa lang nila dito sa Pilipinas.

5. Sosyal ka kung malimit ka sa Jazz Rhythm & Booze at kumakain ka sa Cafe Ysabel, Bistro Burgos, Dean Street Cafe, Angelino's and East St. Lois, Cosmo and Kudo's at nag-babakasyon ka sa Matabungkay Beach Club o Baguio Country Club.

6. Wala pang videoke kundi karaoke.

7. Mga preso lang ang may tattoo.

8. Akala mo'y magkakatuluyan sina Ate Shena at Kuya Bodjie.

9. Ang intindi mo ng LOL ay ULOL imbes na Laughing Out Loud.

10. Na-tsismis na bulati ang beef patty ng Jollibee at pusa ang sangkap sa siopao ng Ma Mon Luk.

11. Kinilig ka nang malaman mong ikakasal sina Pops at si Martin. Si Sharon ang nanligaw kay Goma dahil nabuking sa beeper messages from Pocketbell na may administrator

12. Piso lang ang isang basong taho at kailangan mong magdala ng sarili mong baso kasi wala pang plastic cups no'n si manong magtataho.

13. Lechon Manok pa ang pinag lilihihan ng taumbayan.

14. Tarzan, Jojo, Bazooka Joe, Clover bits at Tootsie Roll ang pinagkakagastusan mo ng mga beintesinko mo.

15. Nagkakakalyo ka dahil typewriter pa ang ginagamit mo para sa mga school paper mo...kaya bentang-benta pa ang carbon paper at liquid paper.

16. Sa Ortigas Center ka tinuturuang magmaneho kasi puro talahib pa yon no'n.

17. Cool ang bumati sa iyong crush sa FM radio.

18. May mascot pa ang 99.5 RT na binebenta sa Gift Gate.

19. Baduy pa noon si Lea Salonga dahil sa That's Entertainment pa siya.

20. Iniisip mong dapat mag-retire na si Jaworski dahil kuwarenta na siya.

21. Egoy na egoy pa si Michael Jackson.

22. Si Harry Gasser at Angelo Castro pa ang newscaster ng bayan. Kay Amado Pineda ka lang naniniwala pag ukol sa panahon ang balita.

23. Sintonado pa ang Eraserheads habang nag-ja-jamming sa Club Dredd.

24. Tinuruan kang mag-toning ng iyong nanay dahil kay Johnny Midnite. Naglalagay ka ng pyramid sa tabi ng iyong unan para good vibes.

25. Nilalagyan mo ng watch-guard ang iyong Swatch.

26. P18 to $1 ang palitan sa black market.

27. May live band pa sa Shakey’s

28. May black market pa noon.

29. Illegal pa ang mga paputok.

30. Ang paborito mong tsokolate ay Chocnut at Mallows.

31. Drag race sa Greenhills at Corinthians

32. Kumain sa Burger Machine o sa Goodaahh ng madaling araw.

33. Dalawang piso lang at Chippy at solong Coke.

34. Wala pang FHM. Imported Playboy Magazine pa lang na padala ng mga kamag-anak o tiyuhing manyak na nasa Tate.

35. Crispa vs. Toyota at Lakers at Celtics ang rivalry sa basketbol.

Idagdag ko lang ang mga biglaang pagsulputan ng mga sentai gaya na lamang ng maskman, ganun na rin si shaider, machine man, turbo rangers, jetman, fiveman atbp. Pero pinakasikat ang Voltes V.

Kung alam mo ang karamihan sa mga yan, malamang, isa ka ring batang 80s.

With all due respect but the Urdaneta Apartments is not that high. It's just a mid rise condominium.

The Twin Towers is beside the Gilarmi Apartments. Tuscany is beside Gilarmi. Tuscany is the nearest condominium to Rizal Theater.

You were the one who wanted to know the name of the taller building. So I was simply answering your question earlier. With all due respect, I maintain that the taller building in the colored pic is the Urdaneta Apartments. Same height sila ng Intercon. I'm 100% sure because I pass by there EVERYDAY.

As for the Makati Tuscany, it wasn't built at the time the B&W photo I posted was taken. That's the Gilarmi. I'm 100% sure. The design of the Gilarmi's sides are the giveaway. Here's another closer pic of the Gilarmi:

http://heart-2-heart-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/old-rustans-makati-01.jpg

The one with the Toyota signage is the Gilarmi. The Makati Tuscany is the taller building to the left. The Ritz Towers (to the right of the Gilarmi) wasn't built yet at the time this photo was taken. You can even see the old Kimpura to the left of the photo (Lising Arcade).

The sequence of buildings of what is known as "Apartment Row" (Ayala Avenue) from EDSA to Makati Ave. are:

1. Makati Garden Club

2. Recoletos Street (street)

3. Urdaneta Apartments

4. Apartment Ridge (street)

5. Twin Towers

6. Pacific Plaza

7. Ritz Towers

8. Gilarmi (now Discovery Primea)

9. Makati Tuscany

10. Fonda Street (street)

11. The Peninsula Hotel

Edited by muttley

@muttley

Ok. Point taken but if the taller building on the colored picture is the Urdaneta Apartments, then what was the shorter building on the colored picture? The color of the Urdaneta Apartments now is predominantly white so that's why I assumed the shorter building on the colored picture is the Urdaneta Apartments. wink.gif

Unlike Urdaneta Apartments, the shorter building is square-shaped and with fewer floors. The shorter building appears to be built on the lot that was later developed as Twin Towers. I can't recall the name anymore of this shorter building.

And before I forget, the only remaining undeveloped lot along the Ayala Avenue side of Apartment Ridge is the lot between Gilarmi (now Discovery Primea) and Ritz Towers, presently used as staging site for the Discovery Primea construction.

Mid-80s ang taon ng ako'y nakatapos sa kolehiyo. Hindi ako nahihiya na banggitin ang aking edad. Naniniwala ako sa kasabihang "kalabaw lang ang tumatanda". Inaamin ko'ng nag-enjoy ako sa panahong hindi pa talo ng mga cable shows ang mga tv stations, hindi pa naaadik ang mga kabataan sa mga online games, uso pa ang patintero, luksong tinik, taguan at marami pang mga bagay. Wala pang Starbucks kaya't mura lang ang kape kina Aling Binay sa karinderia. Wala pang text, email, at www (world wide web) kung kaya't ang ligawan ay dalisay at spontaneous. Maigsi pa ang shorts pang-basketbol (ala-Jaworski) at pangit at outcast kung ituring ang mga skinhead at naka-white side wall na gupit. Mga scribbled love notes, hated-sundo sa bahay ng dyowa, atbp… Kayo ba'y laking 80s?

1. Pogi ka kung kasama sa porma mo ang SperryTopsiders, K-Swiss, Espadrilles (na pinilahan mo pa sa Whistle Stop o sa Cash and Carry), Tretorn or Dragonfly sneakers, white Spartan sneakers, argyle socks, woven leather belts, Chaser, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren at iba pa, one-size-fits-all Hanes T-shirt with the print of your favorite New Wave band, pabangong Chaps, Bowling Green , Gray Flannel or Kouros, Denman brushes, Dippity Do or Dep hair gel, Bermuda shorts worn with plaid long-sleeves.

2. Macho ka kung ang porma mo ay parang kay Don Johnson ng Miami Vice at kung naglalaro ka ng football o nag-aaral ka ng t** kwon do or marunong mag butterfly kick tulad ni Ralph Macchio sa Karate Kid. Sobrang macho ka kung may pandesal ka sa tiyan habang nakasuot ng hanging shirt.

3. Pretty ka kung meron kang pencil-cut skirt (calf-length, three to four inches above the ankle), pabangong Nenuco o De Ne Nes, permed hair a la Madonna or teased bangs na pinatigas ng Aquanet, shoulder pads ala Joan Collin a.k.a. Alexis Carrington in Dynasty), Benetton shirt, Esprit outfit at namimili ka ng gamit sa Sari-Sari, Tokyo Hannah,Tickles and Regina 's in Shoppesville.

4. In na in ka kung napuntahan mo ang mga concerts nina Mike Francis, Swing Out Sisters, Menudo, Earth, Wind and Fire, James Ingram, Genesis, Spandau Ballet, Christopher Cross, at Duran Duran noong unang punta pa lang nila dito sa Pilipinas.

5. Sosyal ka kung malimit ka sa Jazz Rhythm & Booze at kumakain ka sa Cafe Ysabel, Bistro Burgos, Dean Street Cafe, Angelino's and East St. Lois, Cosmo and Kudo's at nag-babakasyon ka sa Matabungkay Beach Club o Baguio Country Club.

6. Wala pang videoke kundi karaoke.

7. Mga preso lang ang may tattoo.

8. Akala mo'y magkakatuluyan sina Ate Shena at Kuya Bodjie.

9. Ang intindi mo ng LOL ay ULOL imbes na Laughing Out Loud.

10. Na-tsismis na bulati ang beef patty ng Jollibee at pusa ang sangkap sa siopao ng Ma Mon Luk.

11. Kinilig ka nang malaman mong ikakasal sina Pops at si Martin. Si Sharon ang nanligaw kay Goma dahil nabuking sa beeper messages from Pocketbell na may administrator

12. Piso lang ang isang basong taho at kailangan mong magdala ng sarili mong baso kasi wala pang plastic cups no'n si manong magtataho.

13. Lechon Manok pa ang pinag lilihihan ng taumbayan.

14. Tarzan, Jojo, Bazooka Joe, Clover bits at Tootsie Roll ang pinagkakagastusan mo ng mga beintesinko mo.

15. Nagkakakalyo ka dahil typewriter pa ang ginagamit mo para sa mga school paper mo...kaya bentang-benta pa ang carbon paper at liquid paper.

16. Sa Ortigas Center ka tinuturuang magmaneho kasi puro talahib pa yon no'n.

17. Cool ang bumati sa iyong crush sa FM radio.

18. May mascot pa ang 99.5 RT na binebenta sa Gift Gate.

19. Baduy pa noon si Lea Salonga dahil sa That's Entertainment pa siya.

20. Iniisip mong dapat mag-retire na si Jaworski dahil kuwarenta na siya.

21. Egoy na egoy pa si Michael Jackson.

22. Si Harry Gasser at Angelo Castro pa ang newscaster ng bayan. Kay Amado Pineda ka lang naniniwala pag ukol sa panahon ang balita.

23. Sintonado pa ang Eraserheads habang nag-ja-jamming sa Club Dredd.

24. Tinuruan kang mag-toning ng iyong nanay dahil kay Johnny Midnite. Naglalagay ka ng pyramid sa tabi ng iyong unan para good vibes.

25. Nilalagyan mo ng watch-guard ang iyong Swatch.

26. P18 to $1 ang palitan sa black market.

27. May live band pa sa Shakey's

28. May black market pa noon.

29. Illegal pa ang mga paputok.

30. Ang paborito mong tsokolate ay Chocnut at Mallows.

31. Drag race sa Greenhills at Corinthians

32. Kumain sa Burger Machine o sa Goodaahh ng madaling araw.

33. Dalawang piso lang at Chippy at solong Coke.

34. Wala pang FHM. Imported Playboy Magazine pa lang na padala ng mga kamag-anak o tiyuhing manyak na nasa Tate.

35. Crispa vs. Toyota at Lakers at Celtics ang rivalry sa basketbol.

Idagdag ko lang ang mga biglaang pagsulputan ng mga sentai gaya na lamang ng maskman, ganun na rin si shaider, machine man, turbo rangers, jetman, fiveman atbp. Pero pinakasikat ang Voltes V.

Kung alam mo ang karamihan sa mga yan, malamang, isa ka ring batang 80s.

Very nice recollection of the 80's sir artedpro. Nice to remember all these little bits of trivia.