• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

X-Men: The Last Stand

Synopsis: A cure for the mutant gene is found. Jean Grey rises from her grave. Magneto brings together a small army of mutants. Dark Phoenix rises.

Review: Overall, an exciting and enjoyable film. Considering this movie is geared for the younger crowd, much of the action actually surprised me because of its simplistic brutality (wolverine slashing other mutants, mystique killing her guard, dark phoenix disintegrating so many soldiers, etc). Special FX was done nicely, moving the story along instead of being the star (as it should).

As an action-packed summer popcorn movie, you really shouldn't be looking for more. As the third movie of the X-men trilogy though, it just plain....sucks. Compared to the last 2 movies, this film lacks characterization and emotion. It's like events are happening without any repercussions to the characters. I hated the fact that a main character dies so early on in the movie, and yet his death was never truly addressed or mourned. I hate the fact that some characters aren't true to their comic book roots (Juggernaut shouldn't be a mutant! He's also Xavier's step-brother!). Most of all, I hate the scene where the X-men take down the Dark Phoenix. The ultimate climactic scene in the movie, which should have been so emotional actually felt empty (and cheesy).

But that's just me. I'm a fan, so I'm probably the hardest person to please. But damnit! X2 proved you can make a movie that can please the fans and everyone else! Why not this one? Simple. Because director Bryan Singer gave up X3 for Superman.

In the MI3 movie, I'm just wondering why they skipped the hard part when Ethan was getting the rabbit's foot from a supposedly heavily-guarded building. they just killed the guards on the roof and that's it. No gadgettry, no hanging on wires... :)

Edited by TheGeneral

moments of love- halos pareho ng kwento from one of the movies of ken zhu (f4) nakalimutan ko ung title eh.

Da vinci code- the novel as a fiction was good. at ang pelikula ay tapat sa prosa. pero may mga elemento na dimaganda sa pelikula. crappy acting si sophie. pa"cool" effect ung movie. at masyadong ineexplain sa viewer ang mga pangyayari. kulang pa sa effort on other means of story telling.

a movie should show not tell.

too busy pa to see xmen3.

- My X-Men 3 : The Last Stand Review-

First of all since brian singer didnt direct the film unlike X1 & X2,

I hated the line " Dont you know who I am? Im Juggernaut B****! "

I Dont think I've ever headr Jug say that ever even in the cartoon

Juggernauts voice is so lame in my opinion.

Although Rogue did nto have any action to do, she was always err..

I hope they would continue on X4

Coz Im afraid Magneto didnt lose his powers due to the cure, and I'd like to see more

Colossus,Nightcrawler action & some piece of Gambit cajun!

Too bad cameo of gambit was all they could do :(

And last but not least;

there was something wrong about how Professor X supposedly dies but didnt.

In the film, he got disintegrated by Jean (possessed by the Pheonix), but in the cartoon/comics Professor X didnt die because of Jean,

All in all, great film, but for fans only.

Not recommended

4/10

X Men 4 announced?

taken from http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2006/...rms_xmen_4.html

espite the stupid title "X-Men: The Last Stand", Fox Head Tom Rothman has all but confirmed that there will indeed be an X-Men 4, and probably more after that as well. Now it's all well and good for him to say that now... but if X-Men 3 is a bomb (which we all know it won't be... even if it sucks) then those words will be quickly eaten.

So why the title "The Last Stand" then? Well, according to the good folks over at Movie Hole, Rothman offers the following explanation:

“It's the conclusion of this trilogy. These three movies work as a trilogy. These characters in this relationship, it's the culmination of that saga. It's the culmination and the resolution of those relationships laid out in the first two movies. That doesn't mean never, I would ever say never again, but I will say that this brings that saga to an end. It's quite the way the last Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, brought that trilogy to a conclusion in terms of those characters, that's what this movie does. It goes all the way back to the first one and rounds off and completes that three-part story”.

Perhaps someone should tell Rothman that the end of the Lord of the Rings was indeed actually the end of the whole series. He might have missed that part.

So all this talk of "this is the end of THIS saga". This particular story line in X-Men is indeed finished... but there are more to come. Heck... the Wolverine spinoff is basically going to be X-Men 4 with a new title. Make no mistake... there will be MANY more X-Movies.

I personally still have major reservations about the next X-Men film... but my hope has risen over the last month. Let's hope it works out. Thus far the X-Men have been my favorite comic film franchise (yes, even more than Spider-Man) and I'd hate to see it go down the toilet.

Edited by kUrTsKY

i sure hope that there'll be more X MEN movies,though i doubt it

in my opinion though...X3 could've been done better....

regarding the Phoenix saga,the apparent deaths of leading characters(prof.x,jean grey and scott summers)in the movie...

concerning the deaths of main characters...it doesn't work if main characters come back from the dead...it might work once for one character (phoenix) but if they make another movie...how are they suppose to explain the return of prof.X and cyclops ( they were killed by phoenix in x3 )...and if they allow the return of cyclops and xavier..how about the other mutanst AND humans who got killed off by phoenix...

i dont know how they're gonna pull that one off....

I hope they would continue on X4

Coz Im afraid Magneto didnt lose his powers due to the cure, and I'd like to see more

Colossus,Nightcrawler action & some piece of Gambit cajun!

Too bad cameo of gambit was all they could do  :(

And last but not least;

there was something wrong about how Professor X supposedly dies but didnt.

In the film, he got disintegrated by Jean (possessed by the Pheonix), but in the cartoon/comics Professor X didnt die because of Jean,

[/i]

I didn't see gambit on X3?

xmen 3.

inconsistent. effects was nice. Phoenix looked good but Mystique looks better

*spoiler warning*

couple of things i noticed. Comments are most welcome as well as answers.

1. Im not sure who the girl with super speed is but i remember the one who can detect other mutants' and their powers is Caliban and HE is part of the Morlocks as well.

2. When Magneto was told of someone with powers higher than level 5 he instantly referred to Phoenix as a she. The girl didnt even tell her that what she detected was a female. This is unless he knew that it was Jean Grey since he was with Xavier when they went there.

3. Juggernaut shouldn't have been affected by Leech's power, leech affects mutants and Juggernaut is not a mutant. He derives his powers from the Ruby of Cytorrak.

4. Juggernaut and Prof. X are step-brothers bakit wala man lng reaction si Juggernaut kay Prof. X when Juggernaut hates Prof. X so much and always gives him a tongue lashing whenever they meet. He never fails to make snide remarks against his "brother" whenever he can. Id prefer the Classic orange Juggernaut armor as well, not the gladiator/barbarian look he has in the movie with the funny helmet

5. I like Wolverine pero he seems to be uber-strong in this series. Shot to the head, got near phoenix without burning instantaneously, with her rate of combusting the other mutants he should have dissipated instanly without time to heal, stabbed lotsa times, metal scraps running scraping his head. In the comics i remember it takes him quite a while to recover from his wounds thats why wolverine sometimes appears with bandages (i assume n wounds un kc d nman pwde broken bones since adamantium cya :P), in this movie i dont think he will never need a bandage since he heals so fast, too fast actually :P

6. Bakit nawala ung Magnetic Shield ni Magneto. Like dun s X:Men Children of the Atom hehe. Whenever that shield is up there is nothing/no one that can get near him.

i sure hope that there'll be more X MEN movies,though i doubt it

in my opinion though...X3 could've been done better....

regarding the Phoenix saga,the apparent deaths of leading characters(prof.x,jean grey and scott summers)in the movie...

concerning the deaths of main characters...it doesn't work if main characters come back from the dead...it might work once for one character (phoenix) but if they make another movie...how are they suppose to explain the return of prof.X and cyclops ( they were killed by phoenix in x3 )...and if they allow the return of cyclops and xavier..how about the other mutanst AND humans who got killed off by phoenix...

i dont know how they're gonna pull that one off....

I hate to break this to you guys, but in case you did not know, there is an additional scene after the end credits that seems to pave the way how the series will continue in the next installment.

I hate to break this to you guys, but in case you did not know, there is an additional scene after the end credits that seems to pave the way how the series will continue in the next installment.

oo nga daw! i was one of the unlucky ones to leave the theater when the credits started rolling up. sabi rin nung friend ko may clip pa nga daw after. :boo:

X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Im not an expert on the comics series.. pero alam ko na magkapatid si Juggernaut & Prof X.. I also hated Juggernaut's line!

Kakalungkot tong pelikula na to.. pinatay lahat ng bida! :D

Sobrang build-up kay Wolverine.. sigurado meron ng Wolverine The Movie (dapat kasi ipantapat kay Wolverine si k*ll Razor! Wishful thinking!).

xmen 3.

inconsistent. effects was nice. Phoenix looked good but Mystique looks better

*spoiler warning*

couple of things i noticed. Comments are most welcome as well as answers.

1. Im not sure who the girl with super speed is but i remember the one who can detect other mutants' and their powers is Caliban and HE is part of the Morlocks as well.

2. When Magneto was told of someone with powers higher than level 5 he instantly referred to Phoenix as a she. The girl didnt even tell her that what she detected was a female. This is unless he knew that it was Jean Grey since he was with Xavier when they went there.

3. Juggernaut shouldn't have been affected by Leech's power, leech affects mutants and Juggernaut is not a mutant. He derives his powers from the Ruby of Cytorrak.

4. Juggernaut and Prof. X are step-brothers bakit wala man lng reaction si Juggernaut kay Prof. X when Juggernaut hates Prof. X so much and always gives him a tongue lashing whenever they meet. He never fails to make snide remarks against his "brother" whenever he can. Id prefer the Classic orange Juggernaut armor as well, not the gladiator/barbarian look he has in the movie with the funny helmet

5. I like Wolverine pero he seems to be uber-strong in this series. Shot to the head, got near phoenix without burning instantaneously, with her rate of combusting the other mutants he should have dissipated instanly without time to heal, stabbed lotsa times, metal scraps running scraping his head. In the comics i remember it takes him quite a while to recover from his wounds thats why wolverine sometimes appears with bandages (i assume n wounds un kc d nman pwde broken bones since adamantium cya :P), in this movie i dont think he will never need a bandage since he heals so fast, too fast actually :P

6. Bakit nawala ung Magnetic Shield ni Magneto. Like dun s X:Men Children of the Atom hehe. Whenever that shield is up there is nothing/no one that can get near him.

yes, I really hate the scene where wolverine tries to get close to phoenix and he only get to burn in the upper portion of his body like the face and the chest. how come his leathered pants didn't burn at all as what has happened to his shirt? not fair at all, harang hehehhehehe :D ano yun censored na kse heheheh uli

oo nga daw! i was one of the unlucky ones to leave the theater when the credits started rolling up. sabi rin nung friend ko may clip pa nga daw after. :boo:

yup, there was a "pahabol scene"... i was a bit surprised nga when i saw a quick, almost like 1 minute scene of a nurse and a patient after the credits when all along i thought wala na. remember the scene when prof. x was having a lesson with the mutant kids and then when he was about to expain something on tv with the nurse and a patient covered with gauze all over his body and was then kinda disrupted by storm kaya he instead dismissed the class? that scene on tv, the nurse seemed to have been attacked by the patient yun lang yon. :D

yes, I really hate the scene where wolverine tries to get close to phoenix and he only get to burn in the upper portion of his body like the face and the chest.  how come his leathered pants didn't burn at all as what has happened to his shirt? not fair at all, harang hehehhehehe :D ano yun censored na kse heheheh uli

:evil: bad cheetah... :evil: if ur phoenix and im wolvie, im willing too put off my pants first as u burn me, that's hot...hehehe :evil:

Edited by kanto-terrorist