Most Depressing Movies You've Watched

A Dog of Flanders

Nello is a young man born into a challenging world. Orphaned at birth and living with his kindly grandfather in a small village in the early 19th century, Nello cherishes the sketchbook left to him by his mother. Inspired by her art and blessed by a chance encounter with noted local artist Michel La Grande, Nello sets out against all odds to pursue his dream of becoming a great artist, like his idol, the genius Rubens. Though often thwarted by his circumstance, Nello finds solace, love and support from his best friend, the beautiful and wealthy Aloise , and companionship from his beloved dog, a large Bouvier des Flanders named Patrasche.

When Nello's poverty threatens to crush his dream and Aloise's father forbids the two life-long friends from seeing each other, the talented young artist (urged and schooled by his mentor La Grande) completes a beautiful painting for entry into a competition-hoping the recognition and the prize money will ensure his career and appease Aloise's family.

The driving part of the story's last half has Nello striving valiantly to win the town's annual artistic competition. After working on his painting for months, he shows up 3 minutes too late to enter it in the contest, so his submission is refused.

the heartbroken Nello and his trusty companion Patrasche begin a challenging journey that educates the young boy about the true value of friendship and ultimately teaches the villagers about compassion, mercy and forgiveness...in the end..on a cold winter day Nello and Patrasche [without shelter nor food] died together ..

this movie is haunting.....frequent images of death and dying.

puro kamalasan at kawalang pag asa talaga.

Edited by iwalkalone

I think we should make a distinction between what's "depressing" and what's "moving." From what I've read thus far, most of the entries are "moving," not "depressing." From where I stand, for instance, "Love Story" will make you cry, but it isn't depressing. The same goes for "The English Patient" and "Brian's Song." A film that touches your heart is "moving"; a film that makes you sick in your stomach is "depressing." Also, a depressing movie is one that strikes too close to home at a particular time in your life. If, for instance, you've just lost a loved one, any film that focuses on loss can become a depressing movie...but which can be appreciated later once you've had the time to heal.

Edited by jt2003
  • 3 weeks later...

munich by steven spielberg movie sobrang boring nakakaantok, waste of money

movie by johnny deep secret window its a psyche thriller sobrang boring

nicole kidman's movie birthday girl waste of money and time, nagmura ako after the movie sa sobrang pangit

pans labyrinth i'm very disappointed with the story(sobrang babaw ang story) and the ending coz the lead star is died shot by his step father.

scoop movie by scarlett johanson sobrang nakakaantok

spiderman 3 the story is good but i feel sad when peter parker's bestfriend harry died

slyvia by gwynett paltrow movie a good movie, good acting and based on true story bec. slyvia is suffer depression and the end she commit suicide.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right about that.... NARNIA the movie didn't live up to the caliber of the book!

Such a f****n' waste of time!!!

But what really depressed me the most...or so to say, disturbed me was Shindler's List...

Hope that what they say about it not being real at all is true....very disturbing and depressing at the same time.... :(

The most depressing film i've seen has got to be THE PURSUIT OF HAPPyNESS. It was based on a true story and man, this guy has got to have the worst luck in the world. The entire story would make you feel grateful that you're not experiencing what the protagonist has gone through. He was just miserable in all aspects. Ofcourse in the end, he was able to catch a break. But still, 90% of the story was gloomy.

• 8 months later...