The Football Thread

Labuyo

FC BARCELONA 2 - 1 ARSENAL

Akala ko matatalo Barcelona. Ang malas ni Ronaldinho.

Ang galing ng strategy ni Rijkaard. Pinagod nila and defense ng Arsenal hanggang sa bumigay. 2 goals in less than 6 mins!!!! Good work Larsson!!!

Goodbye, Henry! if you can't beat them, join them!!!!

bad move for arsene wegner in inserting sol campbell in the lineup beside kolo toure...

before campbell went down due to injuries and psychological dilemma and miss a good part of the champions league... the pair conceded two goals...

but when philippe senderos was sent to pair up with toure... the result was brilliant as the duo didn't allow a single goal to be scored eversince...

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/images/jb2/barcaceleb412b.jpg

Barca triumph in Paris

Barcelona came back from a goal down to beat 10-man Arsenal 2-1 to win the Champions League final at the Stade de France. Late goals from Samuel Eto'o and substitute Juliano Belletti cancelled out a first-half header from Arsenal defender Sol Campbell. Arsenal became the first side ever to have a player sent off in a final when keeper Jens Lehmann was dismissed early on.

[READ]

just a recap...but yea im happy for barca never went for anyone in this final...could this be Henry last season with Arsenal? i doubt i think he will stay but you can never say never...

ronaldhino wasnt at its best...but lady luck was on barcelonas side...swerte din...nice fight by arsenal but it wasnt meant to be for henry and company...congrats to barcelona..world cup time!...can ronaldhino make his 3 wishes come true? winning the domestic, CL then the WC...lets see lets see..

its not good when you just lost the Champions League final and you hear....

'I should have waited'

Referee Terje Hauge has admitted he may have acted too hastily in sending off Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann in the Champions League final against Barcelona. 'I would have liked to have taken a few more seconds before I made my decision,' he said.

[READ]

FC BARCELONA  2  -  1  ARSENAL 

Akala ko matatalo Barcelona.  Ang malas ni Ronaldinho. 

Ang galing ng strategy ni Rijkaard.  Pinagod nila and defense ng Arsenal hanggang sa bumigay.  2 goals in less than 6 mins!!!!    Good work Larsson!!!

Goodbye, Henry!  if you can't beat them, join them!!!!

now the humiliation of Real Madrid is complete :grr:

i think henry will stay at arsenal or join RM,coz theres a sepculation that he would like to top Zidane's record for the most expensive signing in history... :thumbsupsmiley:

would a star be added ifever a club wins the CL?

edi dapat ang real madrid andami ng stars sa crest nila??!?!?! :huh:

wala kasing chemistry ang team kahit na puro all stars kung walang chemistry ang team..wala ding sense...olats...every year may bago...how can the players know each and every ones game...stupid management...

badtrip yung isang announcer nung CL final,crybaby,paulit2x na nirereklamo yung red card ni Lehmann, legitimate red card nman tlga, dahil siguro English siya & sympathetic siya sa Arsenal..feeling ko kung Barsa ang nareduce sa ten men, hindi siya magrreklamo ng todo gaya nung ginagawa niya nun..

Badtrip nga si Thierry Henry after nung game nung interverview nya, san kya siya lilipat? ang balita sa European media, Barcelona na punta niya next year..hmm, katakot Barsa nun, super offense..

Lakas din ng Chelsea next season, power midfield, Ballack&Lampard..

Tapos pag nakabili na ng midfielders ang ManU, pwede na ulit lumaban for EPL&CL..

Exciting ang CL nito next season..

Henry will stay at HighburyWritten by: Graham Riley

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2006/may/19/...tay-at-highbury

LONDON, May 19 (SW) - Thierry Henry has finally put paid to all the rumours and speculation about his future, by announcing he is about to sign a new 4 year deal with Arsenal.

The 28-year-old French international’s contract was due to run out next year, leading to much speculation that he may be leaving Highbury. Recent reports had linked him with a move to Barcelona, but Henry today spoke of his love for both the Gunners and the fans.

"I hope to stay as long as I can keep running. I couldn't leave the fans. They're like family," he said.

FACTFILE OF A LIVING LEGEND

Thierry Daniel Henry is a product of the French Football Federation's academy at Clairefontaine, and whilst playing for FC Versailles at the tender age of 13 years Henry was spotted by talent scouts at AS Monaco and signed to the club. He was 17 when he made his professional debut, under the guidance of one Arsène Wenger, on August 31 1996 against Nice.

In November 1997 he made his international debut for ‘Les Bleus’ against South Africa and one year later played a major role in helping France lift the 1998 World Cup. After his impressive displays during the tournament, Henry left Monaco for Juventus in January 1999 for £14 million.

But he was unsettled in Italy, being forced to play wide on the wing and only managed 3 goals from just 12 appearances. Consequently, in August 1999 he renewed his aquantance with former coach Wenger at Arsenal, signing for £10.5 million. Wenger moved him back into a more flexible forward/strikers role, and the rest is footballing history.

Reflecting on Arsenal’s Champions League final defeat at the hands of Barcelona on Wednesday, Henry said,

"My team showed me I didn't have to leave. They showed me they had heart.

"Everything was up in the air for a very long time. But at the end of the day, the team raised their game.

"Don't get me wrong. I love Barcelona. But on Wednesday night, Arsenal showed me they had heart.

"I hope to finalise all the details today."

European season recaps

Written by: Stephen Sharp

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2006/may/18/...n-season-recaps

Here are the breakdowns from the top 10 domestic leagues in Europe, based on the UEFA country coefficients for the 2006-07 European competition season.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Winner: FC Barcelona (2-1 vs. Arsenal)

Leading scorer: Andriy Shevchenko, AC Milan (9 goals)

UEFA CUP

Winner: Sevilla (4-0 vs. Middlesbrough)

ENGLAND - PREMIER LEAGUE

Champion: Chelsea

FA Cup: Liverpool

League Cup: Manchester United

Champions League: Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool (Q3), Arsenal (Q3)

UEFA Cup: West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur, Blackburn Rovers

Intertoto Cup: Newcastle United

Promoted: Reading, Sheffield United, Watford/Leeds United

Relegated: Birmingham City, West Bromwich Albion, Sunderland

Top scorer: Thierry Henry, Arsenal (27 goals)

ITALY - SERIE A

Champion: Juventus

Coppa Italia: Inter Milan

Champions League: Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan (Q3), Fiorentina (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Roma, Lazio, Chievo

Intertoto Cup: Palermo

Promoted: Atalanta, Catania/Torino, Serie B playoff winner

Relegated: Messina, Lecce, Treviso

Top scorer: Luca Toni, Fiorentina (31 goals)

SPAIN - LA LIGA

Champion: FC Barcelona

Copa del Rey: Espanyol

Champions League: FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia (Q3), Osasuna (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Espanyol, Sevilla, Celta de Vigo

Intertoto Cup: Villarreal

Promoted: Three teams from Segunda División

Relegated: Alavés, Cádiz, Málaga

Top scorer: Samuel Eto'o, FC Barcelona (26 goals)

FRANCE - LIGUE 1

Champion: Lyon

Coupe de France: PSG

Coupe de la Ligue: Nancy

Champions League: Lyon, Bordeaux, Lille (Q3)

UEFA Cup: PSG, Lens, Nancy

Intertoto Cup: Marseille

Promoted: Valenciennes, Sedan, Lorient

Relegated: Ajaccio, Strasbourg, Metz

Top scorer: Pauleta, PSG (21 goals)

GERMANY - BUNDESLIGA

Champion: Bayern Munich

DFB Pokal: Bayern Munich

Champions League: Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen, Hamburg (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen, Eintracht Frankfurt

Intertoto Cup: Hertha Berlin

Promoted: Bochum, Aachen, Energie Cottbus

Relegated: Kaiserslautern, Köln, Duisburg

Top scorer: Miroslav Klose, Werder Bremen (25 goals)

PORTUGAL - SUPERLIGA

Champion: Porto

Taça de Portugal: Porto

Champions League: Porto, Sporting, Benfica (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Braga, Nacional, Vitória Setúbal

Promoted: Beira-Mar, Aves

Relegated: Belenenses, Vitória Guimarães, Rio Ave, Penafiel

Top scorer: Albert Meyong, Belenenses (17 goals)

NETHERLANDS - EREDIVISIE

Champion: PSV Eindhoven

Gatorade Cup: Ajax

Champions League: PSV Eindhoven, Ajax (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Groningen, AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Heerenveen

Intertoto Cup: Twente

Promoted: Excelsior Rotterdam

Relegated: RBC Roosendaal

Top scorer: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Ajax/Heereveen (33 goals)

GREECE - ALPHA ETHNIKI

Champion: Olympiakos

Greek Cup: Olympiakos

Champions League: Olympiakos, AEK Athens (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Panathinaikos, Iraklis, Xanthi, PAOK

Intertoto Cup: Atromitos

Promoted: Kerkyra, Ergotelis, Aris

Relegated: Kallithea, Akratitos, Levadiakos

Top scorer: Dimitris Salpingidis, PAOK (17 goals)

BELGIUM - EERSTE KLASSE

Champion: Anderlecht

Beker van België Zulte-Waregem

Champions League: Anderlecht, Standard Liège (Q3)

UEFA Cup: Zulte-Waregem, Club Brugge (Q2)

Intertoto Cup: Gent

Promoted: Mons-Bergen

Relegated: La Louvière, Lierse

*-Promotion/relegation issues subject to change

Top scorer: Tosin Dosunmu, Germinal (18 goals)

SCOTLAND - PREMIER LEAGUE

Champion: Celtic

Scottish Cup: Hearts

Champions League: Celtic, Hearts (Q2)

UEFA Cup: Rangers, Gretna (Q2)

Intertoto Cup: Hibernian

Promoted: St. Mirren

Relegated: Livingston

Top scorer: Kris Boyd, Rangers/Kilmarnock (32 goals)

star for every championship won..

theory lang.. sa napag observe ko.. before the 2005 CL liverpool has only 4 star.. but they added one after winning the CL last year.. like for Brazil.. they have five (5) star, for they have won 5 world cups.. right? as for real madrid.. since madami na CL glory nila.. i don't know exactly basta madami... kaya CROWN na coz feeling nila king na sila.. hehe.. theory lang po.. pero baka pwede ma consider.. wahahahahaha... :D

badtrip yung isang announcer nung CL final,crybaby,paulit2x na nirereklamo yung red card ni Lehmann, legitimate red card nman tlga, dahil siguro English siya & sympathetic siya sa Arsenal..feeling ko kung Barsa ang nareduce sa ten men, hindi siya magrreklamo ng todo gaya nung ginagawa niya nun..

Badtrip nga si Thierry Henry after nung game nung interverview nya, san kya siya lilipat? ang balita sa European media, Barcelona na punta niya next year..hmm, katakot Barsa nun, super offense..

Lakas din ng Chelsea next season, power midfield, Ballack&Lampard..

Tapos pag nakabili na ng midfielders ang ManU, pwede na ulit lumaban for EPL&CL..

Exciting ang CL nito next season..

the red card against lehmann was really inappropriate.most of the european refereeing community agree that instead of reducing arsenal to ten men,the referee should have just allowed the goal or award a penalty free kick and then just give a yellow card to the goalkeeper.it doesn't matter whether your english or not or you support barca or arsenal,the game lost its thrill already because of the red card.

underdog na nga arsenal to start with tapos nabawasan pa ng player,milagro na lang siguro pag nanalo pa sila.