The Football Thread

Labuyo

ang "foot" sa football hindi ibig sabihin sisipain mo... "foot" means you won't have to ride a horse (hence play on foot) when playing the game

I still can't get the logic. Why can't they just call it throwball or tackleball?

Isa lang ang football! ung iba..eh kathang isip lang ng mga yankee-doodles.....pano kaya naging football ung NFL eh hawak nila ung bola?...medyo sideshow lang ung kicker nila....

exactly. :P

what a topic! haha

where the hell did they get the name soccer?!

soccer is actually an american term - short for association football ( assoc football then later on soccer) to differentiate if from american football .. (a game they made up because they found controlling a ball with their feet too complicated)

peace!

blame the rugby boys... football din kaya ang tawag nila sa sport nila :lol:

Nope! Rugby lang ang tawag sa sport nito..ung ibang derivative still retains the word "rugby"...i.e. Rugby Union, Rugby league tsaka Aussie rules Rugby.....never will this sport be remotely linked to football....Rugby players hate the histrionics of the footballers...(rolling sevral times when bump, squirming in pain as if they have been stabbed when tackled)

blame the rugby boys... football din kaya ang tawag nila sa sport nila :lol:

No mate. It's still rugby. Wala naman Football world cup, national football league ang rugby ha.

Basta ang mga Americano talaga mahilig magmagaling. Ang cricket ginawang baseball ang Rugby/Futbol ginawang American Football. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Nope! Rugby lang ang tawag sa sport nito..ung ibang derivative still retains the word "rugby"...i.e. Rugby Union, Rugby league tsaka Aussie rules Rugby.....never will this sport be remotely linked to football....Rugby players hate the histrionics of the footballers...(rolling sevral times when bump, squirming in pain as if they have been stabbed when tackled)

actually all of the football games are related... actually most of the "goal" games are ultimately descended to football, even basketball :P

No mate. It's still rugby. Wala naman Football world cup, national football league ang rugby ha.

Basta ang mga Americano talaga mahilig magmagaling. Ang cricket ginawang baseball ang Rugby/Futbol ginawang American Football. :thumbsdownsmiley:

bakit uso ang "A.F.C." (Association Football Club e.g. Sunderland AFC) sa NE England? Kasi uso ang rugby doon na ang tawag din ay football. kaya nga naghiwalay ang rugby from assoc. kasi nag-away sila kung dapat bang hawakan ang bola :P

then the americans found rugby too be to boring so they allowed the forward pass... ayun, NFL na :lol: (may offside rule din sa NFL)... canadians invented their own version of the american game... CFL na :lol:

aussies loved cricket too much they have no rectangular stadiums :lol: so they invented aussie rules... IMHO this is the most exciting football game, i used to watch this in the australia network before our cable stopped carrying that channel (you won't have to stay awake at 3am to watch live games :P)

then rugby had union and league... dunno how league is played though... union pa.

the irish even have their own football, pero mas kamukha daw sa aussie rules.

actually all of the football games are related... actually most of the "goal" games are ultimately descended to football, even basketball :P

bakit uso ang "A.F.C." (Association Football Club e.g. Sunderland AFC) sa NE England? Kasi uso ang rugby doon na ang tawag din ay football. kaya nga naghiwalay ang rugby from assoc. kasi nag-away sila kung dapat bang hawakan ang bola :P

then the americans found rugby too be to boring so they allowed the forward pass... ayun, NFL na :lol: (may offside rule din sa NFL)... canadians invented their own version of the american game... CFL na :lol:

aussies loved cricket too much they have no rectangular stadiums :lol: so they invented aussie rules... IMHO this is the most exciting football game, i used to watch this in the australia network before our cable stopped carrying that channel (you won't have to stay awake at 3am to watch live games :P)

then rugby had union and league... dunno how league is played though... union pa.

There will only be one Football for me and approx 50 million people in the world. The one you play with a round-spherical ball in which you can't touch te ball unless you are the goal keeper. Anyone else disagree with this?

Say it to the Hooligans. :P

Ang tagal ko na dito sa England at nde ko pa naririnig na tinatawag nila na football ang rugby...bakit kaya?...kse nde football ang rugby!! :upside:

bukod sa AFC uso rin ang United (i.e. Man U, Sheffield U, Newcastle U, Oxford United, Leeds United, )..dahil united ang football at rugby??...I dont think so

If I may have a take on the rugby and NFL thing: the yankees found rugby too complicated so they careated their own bastardised version....pati cricket na ang daming rules...5 years ko na pinapanood nde ko pa rin ma perfect ung rules...iba kse pag test match, O.D.I. at 20-20...

Ung Aussie rule is just another variant ng rugby...nde pa rin ito football....nde ko masyado alam to kse nde ako nakakapanood

Rugby Union...eto ung version ng napapanood nyo sa Rugby world cup (Jonny Wilkinson, Habana of South Africa, "caveman" of France)..merong "maul" at talagang daganan...mas maraming palyers on the field

Rugby league...off shoot ng Union..started in the North of England...kse they want to be paid to play...mas konti ung players, nde nagdadaganan..walang "maul"

Gaelic football...may goal na pang football at rugby...pwede hawakan ang bola pero kailangan pa ring sipain ang bola ng paa! Saw a match once and na weido-han ako..hehe

There will only be one Football for me and approx 50 million people in the world. The one you play with a round-spherical ball in which you can't touch te ball unless you are the goal keeper. Anyone else disagree with this?

Say it to the Hooligans. :P

Unless you are Diego Maradona with the "hand of god".....hehe

Edited by mojo2NV

more like a billion people.

liverpool is finally back to playing the way they should be! woohoo!

Ang tagal ko na dito sa England at nde ko pa naririnig na tinatawag nila na football ang rugby...bakit kaya?...kse nde football ang rugby!! :upside:

bukod sa AFC uso rin ang United (i.e. Man U, Sheffield U, Newcastle U, Oxford United, Leeds United, )..dahil united ang football at rugby??...I dont think so

If I may have a take on the rugby and NFL thing: the yankees found rugby too complicated so they careated their own bastardised version....pati cricket na ang daming rules...5 years ko na pinapanood nde ko pa rin ma perfect ung rules...iba kse pag test match, O.D.I. at 20-20...

Ung Aussie rule is just another variant ng rugby...nde pa rin ito football....nde ko masyado alam to kse nde ako nakakapanood

Rugby Union...eto ung version ng napapanood nyo sa Rugby world cup (Jonny Wilkinson, Habana of South Africa, "caveman" of France)..merong "maul" at talagang daganan...mas maraming palyers on the field

Rugby league...off shoot ng Union..started in the North of England...kse they want to be paid to play...mas konti ung players, nde nagdadaganan..walang "maul"

Gaelic football...may goal na pang football at rugby...pwede hawakan ang bola pero kailangan pa ring sipain ang bola ng paa! Saw a match once and na weido-han ako..hehe

"united" as a separate history from AFC.... it's separate from the history of AFC from the NE England. United means "when two or more clubs merged and became united."

Also, Rugby can also mean football: for example: Harlequin F.C.

Also, in New Zealand and NSW, if you say football, more than likely it is rugby union.

oo nga pala... bakit wala tayong team sa men's football sa sea games? :grr:

ang women's meron naman ah...

2-2 sila sa laos kanina

pano pati ba naman sa PFF may power struggle pa rin!!....kakaasar nga eh :angry:

kailangan talaga mag simula from scratch...unless ma promote ang football sa elementary level and magkaroon ng regular competitions maski on the amatuer or semi-pro level mahihirapan tayo i-angat ang quality natin...

one good news though....this was taken from the not so reliable Wikipedia:

The German Bundesliga recently expressed its willingness to help the development of football in the country.

and this is how we recruit foreighn based pinoys/pinoys descent on the net:

PFF International Liaison Representative

Calling all foreign-based football players interested in trying out for the Philippine Men's & Women's National Team.

The national coaching staff are always looking for foreign talents to help in the development and enhancement of the football programs in the Philippines.

To be considered for evaluation you need:

1. To qualify for Philippine Citizenship;

2. A football resume detailing your club, high school, college or professional experience and accomplishments. Also, include your coaches contact phone numbers;

3. A football video of you in action. The player jersey color and number should be identified at the start of the video. The video should consist a full game and the video should focus on the play and not just on the player. A view of around 20x20 yards will be sufficient. It is important that the coaching staff can assess the level of play and observe you play with and without the ball. Player highlights or drills can also be added at the end of the video.

pano pati ba naman sa PFF may power struggle pa rin!!....kakaasar nga eh :angry:

kailangan talaga mag simula from scratch...unless ma promote ang football sa elementary level and magkaroon ng regular competitions maski on the amatuer or semi-pro level mahihirapan tayo i-angat ang quality natin...

one good news though....this was taken from the not so reliable Wikipedia:

The German Bundesliga recently expressed its willingness to help the development of football in the country.

and this is how we recruit foreighn based pinoys/pinoys descent on the net:

PFF International Liaison Representative

Calling all foreign-based football players interested in trying out for the Philippine Men's & Women's National Team.

The national coaching staff are always looking for foreign talents to help in the development and enhancement of the football programs in the Philippines.

To be considered for evaluation you need:

1. To qualify for Philippine Citizenship;

2. A football resume detailing your club, high school, college or professional experience and accomplishments. Also, include your coaches contact phone numbers;

3. A football video of you in action. The player jersey color and number should be identified at the start of the video. The video should consist a full game and the video should focus on the play and not just on the player. A view of around 20x20 yards will be sufficient. It is important that the coaching staff can assess the level of play and observe you play with and without the ball. Player highlights or drills can also be added at the end of the video.

Wala ba silang try outs? Baka mag try out ako just for a laugh. Malalabas ko ang galit ko sa mga Younghusband by giving them nice sliding tackles for x'mas.

Mediocre win by MANU last night.We should have scored more than two if it wasn't for the dodgy refereeing. Ano ba problemang mga EPL referees? This game week palpak sila. Robbie Keen got red carded, Drogba should have been awarded a penalty, c. ronaldo also should have been given a penalty...

actually may mga schools na nagpropromote ng tourneys ng football. lsgh, xavier, ateneo, don bosco etc etc...

ang problema lang is after elementary and hs, parang wala nang napupuntahan ung ibang players. ung iba nagiging varsity ng college, ung iba ginagawang na lang hobby, ung iba nagcoconcentrate nlng sa studies or nagiiba ng sport.

naalala ko tuloy nung gr5 ako, i tried out for the football varsity, bumili p tlga ako ng spikes..pero di ako nakuha. kainis kaya dko na sulit ung spikes ko nun. haayz.