The Football Thread

Labuyo

barcelona 1 real madrid 0

- wasn't as dominating as last year but barca pulled through. puyol and pique were huge. puyol is really the heart and soul of the team. he had at least 3 incredible goal saving tackles. and i've always thought pique was a tad slow and lumbering, but his positioning and decision-making is excellent.

- dani alves is as crucial to the team as iniesta and xavi. the two best chances were created by the brazilian: the pinpoint cross which led to ibrahimovic's goal and the cheeky slide rule pass to set up messi (i think messi missed becoz he too was surprised with the pass).

- iniesta is slowly getting back to form. he was much more involved than xavi, and seemed to be everywhere.

- henry's career is definitely on the downslope. he was off pace and was rightly substituted for ibra. henry will still give barca great games, but the consistency is not there.

- big gamble by guardiola almost cost the team. fielding the young busquets ahead of yaya toure was questionable, and busquets duly showed his inexperience with a stupid handball which got him sent off. and this was at the stage where barca were in the ascendency and threatening to dominate the match.

- kaka and cronaldo are really dangerous. but madrid lacked the cutting edge in front of goal. higuain was marked well, and benzema is not the same player he was in with lyon.

barcelona 1 real madrid 0

- wasn't as dominating as last year but barca pulled through. puyol and pique were huge. puyol is really the heart and soul of the team. he had at least 3 incredible goal saving tackles. and i've always thought pique was a tad slow and lumbering, but his positioning and decision-making is excellent.

- dani alves is as crucial to the team as iniesta and xavi. the two best chances were created by the brazilian: the pinpoint cross which led to ibrahimovic's goal and the cheeky slide rule pass to set up messi (i think messi missed becoz he too was surprised with the pass).

- iniesta is slowly getting back to form. he was much more involved than xavi, and seemed to be everywhere.

- henry's career is definitely on the downslope. he was off pace and was rightly substituted for ibra. henry will still give barca great games, but the consistency is not there.

- big gamble by guardiola almost cost the team. fielding the young busquets ahead of yaya toure was questionable, and busquets duly showed his inexperience with a stupid handball which got him sent off. and this was at the stage where barca were in the ascendency and threatening to dominate the match.

- kaka and cronaldo are really dangerous. but madrid lacked the cutting edge in front of goal. higuain was marked well, and benzema is not the same player he was in with lyon.

watched the whole match. pains me to see ronaldo pissed off sitting on the bench after being subbed for benzema. although i'm a huge ronaldo fan, i do hope he stays pissed off that way and not win any titles at madrid. i just hope sir alex let him realize that his best is at united and will always be that way.

man, it's really hard to see real madrid losing.. especially to barca :(

after that blockbuster deal with ronaldo, i really thought that real madrid now has chance to beat barcelona. also with players like Kaka, Pepe and Iker Casillas on the team. I think they played it right.. everything but the goal.

but just like xabi alonso said, "it is an important game, but not decisive." I hope real madrid will win next time.

world cup 2010 groupings

A - France, Mexico, South Africa, Uruguay

B - Argentina, Greece, South Korea, Nigeria

C - England, USA, Slovenia, Algeria

D - Germany, Ghana, Australia, Serbia

E - Netherlands, Cameroon, Denmark, Japan

F - Italy, Slovakia, Paraguay, New Zealand

G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

H - Spain, Chile, Switzerland, Honduras

A: MEX & FRA

B: ARG & GRE

C: ENG & USA

D: GER & AUS

E: NED & DEN

F: ITA & SVK

G: BRA & POR

H: ESP & CHI

Round of 16:

GRE def. MEX

ENG def. AUS in AET

NED def. SVK

BRA def. CHI

ARG def. FRA

GER def. USA

ITA def. DEN

ESP def. POR in PSO

Quarterfinals:

ENG def. GRE in PSO

BRA def. NED

ARG def. GER

ESP def. ITA in PSO

Semifinals

BRA def. ENG in PSO

ESP def. ARG in AET

Third place

ARG def. ENG

Final

BRA def. ESP

England did have an EASY draw! :lol:

Round of 16:

GRE def. MEX

ENG def. AUS in AET

NED def. SVK

BRA def. CHI

ARG def. FRA

GER def. USA

ITA def. DEN

ESP def. POR in PSO

Quarterfinals:

ENG def. GRE in PSO

BRA def. NED

ARG def. GER

ESP def. ITA in PSO

Semifinals

BRA def. ENG in PSO

ESP def. ARG in AET

Third place

ARG def. ENG

Final

BRA def. ESP

DEFINITELY an easy draw for England. I myself, being American but love the English, will close my eyes for the first match on June 12. I love them both and will not celebrate if one scores against the other.

wow, group g will be exciting.. brazil and portugal. let's see how ronaldo will handle the Portuguese team against Kaka.

I'm also interested with group c.. england and USA.

Group G will be scary. don't count out the Ivory Coast. plus the north koreanS could always smuggle a bomb or something :lol:

Round of 16:

GRE def. MEX

ENG def. AUS in AET

NED def. SVK

BRA def. CHI

ARG def. FRA

GER def. USA

ITA def. DEN

ESP def. POR in PSO

Quarterfinals:

ENG def. GRE in PSO

BRA def. NED

ARG def. GER

ESP def. ITA in PSO

Semifinals

BRA def. ENG in PSO

ESP def. ARG in AET

Third place

ARG def. ENG

Final

BRA def. ESP

wow. may crystal ball ka pala! :goatee:

saves me the trouble of watching the games.

speaking of, i wonder what time the telecast will be in the Philippines...

Edited by Labuyo
Group G will be scary. don't count out the Ivory Coast. plus the north korean could always smuggle a bomb or something laugh.gif

yeah, i just read the article in yahoo about the group of death. Ivory Coast is one feared country here in the world cup. They have a chance to win if they play it "right". having said that, Ivory coast will be my dark horse. :thumbsupsmiley:

LOL at NK smuggling bombs! :lol:

here's the article i read in yahoo:

Group of death scale

with a good draw and a good coach in fabio capello, i believe england will do better this time..

and what a difference good coaching can do.. man united beat wolfsburg 3-1 using only 3 fullbacks instead of their usual 4 with the 2 being carrick and fletcher. and then the michael owen of old suddenly showed up and scored a hat trick! maybe they do have what it takes to win a double, or maybe a treble this year, hehe

with a good draw and a good coach in fabio capello, i believe england will do better this time..

and what a difference good coaching can do.. man united beat wolfsburg 3-1 using only 3 fullbacks instead of their usual 4 with the 2 being carrick and fletcher. and then the michael owen of old suddenly showed up and scored a hat trick! maybe they do have what it takes to win a double, or maybe a treble this year, hehe

January's the month where United usually TURN IT UP!! :thumbsupsmiley:

badtrip! manutd wasn't able to capitalize on the chelsea-everton draw instead they lost 1-0 to villa, agbonlahor with the winning goal, our defense really needs to improve, several players are needed back from injury or sir alex should sign a defender for a short spell if the injured players will not come back soon.

badtrip! manutd wasn't able to capitalize on the chelsea-everton draw instead they lost 1-0 to villa, agbonlahor with the winning goal, our defense really needs to improve, several players are needed back from injury or sir alex should sign a defender for a short spell if the injured players will not come back soon.

manutd lose to fulham, 3-0, badtrip! si evra na lang natitirang defender na hindi injured, buti na lang 1-1 lang ang chelsea vs westham, 4pts lang lamang nila..

liverpool are having a terrible season, they lose to portsmouth 2-0, hanggang kelan pa kaya si rafa magiging manager ng reds?

mark hughes is sacked by man city, roberto mancini, the former inter milan manager, will take over as the new manager of city..