The Football Thread

Labuyo

Sir bubuy I was not in anyway insulting you or was making implications that I was. We have no beef.

Yes about the analogy. Roxas blvd was where dewey was same place same roads. But the point here is Dewey blvd ceased to exsist therefore now it's called roxas blvd. The analogy was about the league and not the clubs per se.

and, I will not accept to forget about United's history, Munich air crash and all.... What I was trying to point out to dutchessXI was Liverpool FC has yet to win the Barclay's Premier League. Simple as that. I don't kow why the discussion had to strech out this long. To be honest I think it's geting pointless. He believes that LIV are the best and I think Man United are. No one can do anything about what we believe in.

So unless LIV wins the Barclay's Premier League or "new spell" as howard calls it or whatever you lot like to call the current top flight of ENG footbal, I won't shut up on my ramblings about LIV not winning it.

re: analogy

of course we cant analogize the clubs before and after 1992 because of promotions and demotions, that's why i said "most" clubs that played in the OLD top flight are still the same ones (or most of them) playing in barclay's.. i just equated the league with the physical boulevard and the name change was equated with the name change of the division I premier league and barclay's premier league.. it's still the same road/highway/boulevard, i dont think it "ceased" to exist.. some smart ass punk in the govt just changed it's name.. :D if it ceased to exist, no physical structure would be located where dewey was located before..

the same can be held true for pre-1992 premier league and barclays.. it's still the same top flight league.. only they have more sponsors and a cute name change..

yes, LIV hasn't won the Barclay's Premier League championship. that is a fact.

and yes again, RM will be a force to reckon with at next year's UEFA Champion's League which we haven't won yet.. although we have 9 European Cups.. :thumbsupsmiley: isnt that weird, the trophy looks the same before the name change? :unsure:

Edited by bubuy

of course we cant analogize the clubs before and after 1992 because of promotions and demotions, that's why i said "most" clubs that played in the OLD top flight are still the same ones (or most of them) playing in barclay's.. i just equated the league with the physical boulevard and the name change was equated with the name change of the division I premier league and barclay's premier league.. it's still the same road/highway/boulevard, i dont think it "ceased" to exist.. some smart ass punk in the govt just changed it's name.. :D if it ceased to exist, no physical structure would be located where dewey was located before..

the same can be held true for pre-1992 premier league and barclays.. it's still the same top flight league.. only they have more sponsors and a cute name change..

and yes again, RM will be a force to reckon with at next year's UEFA Champion's League which we haven't won yet.. although we have 9 European Cups.. :thumbsupsmiley: isnt that weird, the trophy looks the same before the name change? :unsure:

I am still lusting for that RMD vs Man United final.... xD

Sir bubuy I was not in anyway insulting you or was making implications that I was. We have no beef.

Yes about the analogy. Roxas blvd was where dewey was same place same roads. But the point here is Dewey blvd ceased to exsist therefore now it's called roxas blvd. The analogy was about the league and not the clubs per se.

and, I will not accept to forget about United's history, Munich air crash and all.... What I was trying to point out to dutchessXI was Liverpool FC has yet to win the Barclay's Premier League. Simple as that. I don't kow why the discussion had to strech out this long. To be honest I think it's geting pointless. He believes that LIV are the best and I think Man United are. No one can do anything about what we believe in.

So unless LIV wins the Barclay's Premier League or "new spell" as howard calls it or whatever you lot like to call the current top flight of ENG footbal, I won't shut up on my ramblings about LIV not winning it.

LOL, I quote"He believes that LIV are the best and I think Man United are. No one can do anything about what we believe in."

did i say such words? i just mentioned that the i hoped liv made it next year. and i did commend man utd twice i believe, but if u think that way, back at you bro.

cheers.

lol, cant agree any better again.

cheers bob. :thumbsupsmiley:

Well Wikipedia helped me thro high school so I have no beef against it.

Atleast I have some refferences and I just don't use smart-ass remarks.

As a rule, never use wikipedia, or any other similar search engine for that matter, as references. and the smart-ass remarks are facts.

Inspite of all the arguments going on, I would like to thank DuchessXI for giving out pretty good arguments. And he did not resort to extreme language or ad honeim statements. Unlike the previous member I had an argument with, who is yet to post again in this thread.

I would like to end the pointless discussion since it will lead us nowhere. Im taking the high road and offering DuchessXI the laurel wreath.

Cheers mate!

Flawless Victory..

cheers.

Ok new topic to end all this s@%t:

Favorite XI of your favorite team, its formation, wishlist, and explain why.

To start things off, heres mine:

LIVERPOOL (4-5-1)

Reina

Riise

Skrtel

Agger (assuming hes back from injury)

Carragher

Babel (LW)

Mascherano

Alonso

Kuyt (RW)

Gerrard (CM)

Torres (out-n-out striker)

riise, good crosser of the ball.

carragher and kuyt, hustlers,

skrtel and agger, a new young partnership yet to be tested to replace the classic hyypia-carragher combo.

gerrard-torres understanding (spine of the liv team)

alonso - good long ball passer

reina (no. 1 keeper in the prem? need i say more)

Babel (almost there, heck hes 20 yrs old!)

Mascherano(good anchor)

Wishlist:

Villa (good partner for torres, Spanish strike force)

Joaquin, or Ashely Young (we need a consistent crosser from the right wing)

Vicente, or Downing (left midfield problems)

Rafinha (RB slot)

---

Bout ur teams, bubuy, redshirt, howard_the_duck?

The "Galactic" Manchester United. ( attainable in like 5 years. :P )

Cassilas

Vidic

Evra

Mexes

Ferdinand

Ronaldo

Hardgreves

Anderson

Nani

Rooney

Huntellar

If dreams do come true. :P

dude maybe u could put some brief explanation why u need such players in those positions so that we could at least have a lead in our discussion.

sori but whos mexes? (well from ur current SI i could see hes a LB) but from what league is he from? age? what are his strengths?

if i were you, id rather get park ji-sung in there rather than anderson, well rounded player, offensively and defensivly, knows how to cross (i was impressed by his performance against barca 2nd leg), good stamina, also considering the attraction he gets from asia, more pounds to burn for ferguson there.

dude maybe u could put some brief explanation why u need such players in those positions so that we could at least have a lead in our discussion.

sori but whos mexes? (well from ur current SI i could see hes a LB) but from what league is he from? age? what are his strengths?

if i were you, id rather get park ji-sung in there rather than anderson, well rounded player, offensively and defensivly, knows how to cross (i was impressed by his performance against barca 2nd leg), good stamina, also considering the attraction he gets from asia, more pounds to burn for ferguson there.

Yes sir bubuy. Mexes, ASR/FRA. Very young a future Rio in the making IMHO. Since anton is not shaping up that well.

Cassilas- One of the best keepers I have ever seen. Has his "calamity" moments but still a very solid GK.

Vidic- hard man, very good defender

Evra- He is like sergio ramos in a way a defender that attacks

Mexes- A very good defender, very young a future star in the making

Ferdinand- will bring experience to the defence, a bit overpayed and all but very good. He used to be a striker when he was a lad. :P

Ronaldo- Cheeky. Nuff said

Hardgreves- He is commanding player makes his presence felt if he's on the pich. Can defend as well as attack

Anderson- He is rubbish right now but give him a season or two under the good guidance and care of Quierroz and Fergie he might be something.

Nani- Similar to SWP but he is usually on the left side giving out crosses

Rooney- Passionate and very dramatic it's fun watching him and his tantrums but he is a good player

Huntellar- Rising star, might be as good as ARS Henry maybe even better scores a lot of goals

J.S. Park was at his best when he was in PSV, after his latest injury he has never been the same. Too bad. He used to have more pace and skill before. Kinda like Andy Jhonson minus the bald head and weir AJ hand signs after scoring a goal...

Does anyone know when is the Manchester United versus Chelsea match?

Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow on 21 May 2008

looks like Chelski has the upperhand in this match as this firstly, this is Romans home grounds; secondly, some chelsea players might leave after this season, which would give them an incentive to play harder for that one last push. thirdly, Lampard inspired to win this for his mom; may she rest in peace. and lastly, Grant has this match to prove that hes the so-called, Special one; he has Mourinho and Ranieri to back him up with this.

Man utd on the other hand would be looking for their 3rd trophy. Ronaldo on fire, fergie looking to add more silverware to his collection before his retirement. Rooney, not his usual self 1-2 years ago. looks more like a decoy role for him nowadays.

Both teams playing on both fronts. Both on good runs, though man utd lost to chelsea about two weeks ago. despite that, man utd is the better team if statistically compared with goal difference. both teams deploy same formations, 4-5-1, as most of teams in Europe do nowadays. but i would not be surprised if Shevchenko will play in the finals as he has rich experience playing in Europe. I expect man utd playing a defensive game with a beefy midfield as they dont have a consistent striker up front, they would have to rely on corners and dead-balls to k*ll chelsea; whereas chelsea would attack on all fronts with joe cole on the right, drogba at front, and kalou/malouda on the left side.

Well, this match isnt as exciting because its an all-English final; its just like watching a regular EPL game except on a bigger stage. expect some "old-English long ball game" unlike an Arsenal/Barca passing exhibition.

2-1 Chelsea for me in the champs league Finals.

too early to predict who might bag the EPL trophy.

cheers. :thumbsupsmiley:

if i was ramon calderon, this is the team i would be trying to build

------------------------------Iker

daniel alves---sergio ramos---alessandro nesta---philip lahm

-----------------------andrea pirlo

joaquin----------------------------------------messi

-------------------------kaka

-----------------------------------raul ©

--------------van nistelrooy

iker - the best goalkeeper in the world right now, gigi buffon is close but considering their age, iker would have to get the upper hand here, plus he's already a legend at 26.. if raul retires, iker would definitely captain Real Madrid to many more La Liga championships

alves - i think we nearly got him at the start of the current season, until sevilla backtracked

nesta - ive been a fan of him since his lazio days, an athletic centre back, deceptively quick and strong.. has good leadership skills, very impt in a centre half.. he edges out current RM centre back cannavaro due to age factor in my book.. i also considered john terry (intangibles, leadership, reads the game well), rio ferdinand (athleticism, quality marker) and micah richards (youngster with a bright future, could partner ramos at centre half to form the best combo at the back) at this slot..

ramos - the best young spanish defender right now, he's being utilized at right back but i still feel his best position would be CB.. he's tall, quick and strong.. imposing presence in defense, powerful in the air, good marker..

lahm - currently under the radar, but he'll be the best left back in the world soon enough in the mold of roberto carlos with a better defense..

pirlo - dictates the team rythm, hardworking midfielder, rarely gives the ball away.. not bad as a defender too plus excellent free kick taker..

joaquin - another player that we should have gotten this season, betis instead chose to sell to valencia.. big mistake for joaquin as valencia is near relegation zone.. joaquin should jump ship, before his skills erode in segunda division and where else should he go? to the champions of course.. putting cristiano ronaldo here would simply be overkill.. real needs more team players than entertainers..

messi - young and full of enthusiasm, magician with a ball at his feet

kaka - the best player in the world right now. period.

raul - i couldnt imagine someone else captaining the team right now besides him.. a player who really grew up with the team.. he may have lost some of his edge and pace but the intangibles he brings to the table are irreplaceable.. most goals scored in european champions league competition, spanish national team.. nuff said..

van nistelrooy - you'd think he was finished when he left the theatre of dreams.. but he ain't, still one of the best goal poachers this generation.. has scored 20 or more goals in 5 of the past 6 seasons (la liga and premiership combined).. clinical finisher..

honorable considerations:

vedran corluka - right back

essien - defensive midfield

henry/totti - support striker (that is if the ageless raul retires)

fernando torres - forward/striker

* reports have it that david villa is in talks with Real Madrid CF

Edited by bubuy
if i was ramon calderon, this is the team i would be trying to build

------------------------------Iker

daniel alves---sergio ramos---alessandro nesta---philip lahm

-----------------------andrea pirlo

joaquin----------------------------------------messi

-------------------------kaka

-----------------------------------raul ©

--------------van nistelrooy

iker - the best goalkeeper in the world right now, gigi buffon is close but considering their age, iker would have to get the upper hand here, plus he's already a legend at 26.. if raul retires, iker would definitely captain Real Madrid to many more La Liga championships

alves - i think we nearly got him at the start of the current season, until sevilla backtracked

nesta - ive been a fan of him since his lazio days, an athletic centre back, deceptively quick and strong.. has good leadership skills, very impt in a centre half.. he edges out current RM centre back cannavaro due to age factor in my book.. i also considered john terry (intangibles, leadership, reads the game well), rio ferdinand (athleticism, quality marker) and micah richards (youngster with a bright future, could partner ramos at centre half to form the best combo at the back) at this slot..

ramos - the best young spanish defender right now, he's being utilized at right back but i still feel his best position would be CB.. he's tall, quick and strong.. imposing presence in defense, powerful in the air, good marker..

lahm - currently under the radar, but he'll be the best left back in the world soon enough in the mold of roberto carlos with a better defense..

pirlo - dictates the team rythm, hardworking midfielder, rarely gives the ball away.. not bad as a defender too plus excellent free kick taker..

joaquin - another player that we should have gotten this season, betis instead chose to sell to valencia.. big mistake for joaquin as valencia is near relegation zone.. joaquin should jump ship, before his skills erode in segunda division and where else should he go? to the champions of course.. putting cristiano ronaldo here would simply be overkill.. real needs more team players than entertainers..

messi - young and full of enthusiasm, magician with a ball at his feet

kaka - the best player in the world right now. period.

raul - i couldnt imagine someone else captaining the team right now besides him.. a player who really grew up with the team.. he may have lost some of his edge and pace but the intangibles he brings to the table are irreplaceable.. most goals scored in european champions league competition, spanish national team.. nuff said..

van nistelrooy - you'd think he was finished when he left the theatre of dreams.. but he ain't, still one of the best goal poachers this generation.. has scored 20 or more goals in 5 of the past 6 seasons (la liga and premiership combined).. clinical finisher..

honorable considerations:

vedran corluka - right back

essien - defensive midfield

henry/totti - support striker (that is if the ageless raul retires)

fernando torres - forward/striker

* reports have it that david villa is in talks with Real Madrid CF

This team is, as the Spanish would call it.....

Es muy caro! :P

joaquin - another player that we should have gotten this season, betis instead chose to sell to valencia.. big mistake for joaquin as valencia is near relegation zone.. joaquin should jump ship, before his skills erode in segunda division and where else should he go? to the champions of course..

of course, where else but liverpool. out of all managers, rafa would be most favored to snatch him as valencia was his former club. i think 2-3 of his former players came from valencia, but just like most foreigners in the prem, they failed to impress, with the exception of fernando torres of course who broke liverpool records in his first season. rafa will try to deal with his trademark 'player + cash deals' again. get rid of pennant, bring on joaquin on the right, vicente on the left, and villa just behind torres, and you have a spanish quartet. but then again, this is fantasy football.

This team is, as the Spanish would call it.....

Es muy caro! :P

hehehe.. real madrid has time and again shown it would not back off off any offer.. we've already made an 80M euro offer for kaka, it is milan that won't budge.. the team has spent millions on non-performers, i dont think they will hold out on a player of kaka's caliber..

of all the players i listed, it is messi that is wishful thinking coz he plays for our rivals.. torres nearly signed for madrid, i dont know what happened in between.. liverpool has management/ownership problems right now.. i know players are wary of that and that has to be a factor on every player's mind thinking of moving to anfield..

but i have to agree with captain raul's assessment to calderon during the championship parade, make little to no adjustment as far as player personnel is concerned.. any more major changes to the current lineup will ruin team chemistry.. they've won b2b, there's no reason they couldn't make it 3 in a row, specially if everyone will be healthy..

and i still hate the robben signing.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Edited by bubuy
hehehe.. real madrid has time and again shown it would not back off off any offer.. we've already made an 80M euro offer for kaka, it is milan that won't budge.. the team has spent millions on non-performers, i dont think they will hold out on a player of kaka's caliber..

of all the players i listed, it is messi that is wishful thinking coz he plays for our rivals.. torres nearly signed for madrid, i dont know what happened in between.. liverpool has management/ownership problems right now.. i know players are wary of that and that has to be a factor on every player's mind thinking of moving to anfield..

but i have to agree with captain raul's assessment to calderon during the championship parade, make little to no adjustment as far as player personnel is concerned.. any more major changes to the current lineup will ruin team chemistry.. they've won b2b, there's no reason they couldn't make it 3 in a row, specially if everyone will be healthy..

and i still hate the robben signing.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Robben's signing was useless since we have Snjider.

My word,

Looks like Ossasuna is getting relegated to Segunda Liga. I mean they were in the UEFA cup last season or last last season...

And surprise surpirse Valliolid stayed up! :P

yes, wesley is the better option, not to mention we also have drenthe.. it was really a waste of money.. i think calderon was pressured to bring in one big name at the start of the season and after failing to land joaquin, alves, torres and kaka he had to splurge on, of all people, arjen robben.. :(

come to think of it all my teams are doing well, RM from la liga are champions, ManU nearly there.. only my AC Milan in italy has lost form.. :unsure:

Real Madrid 4 - 1 Barcelona

validation of a dominant madrid season.. :thumbsupsmiley: