The Football Thread

Labuyo

Beckham is currently getting some bad press on his deliberate yellow card in the England-Wales World Cup qualifiers. According to Beckham he chose to get his second yellow in order to rest and not play in their next game against Azerbaijan. Since he already suffered a broken rib earlier he would have missed the game anyway. His reasoning is that by getting a deliberate yellow and being forced to rest he escapes the proverbial sword of damocles in their succeeding qualifying games; he gets a clean slate so to speak.

A former England captain (World Cup '66) says it was a disrespect to the sport and country while Eriksson says it's a commen tactic in world football and that Beckham is getting this negative publicity because he was the first to admit to doing so.

I would have to side with Beckham and the coach. It was a foolish act at first but may have been a smart move.

Of course all goes to hell if England were to lose to Azerbaijan!

too bad manutd dropped another 3 points with a 0-0 result with birmingham. it only means one thing ... its the defense (rio is there), its the attack (ruud, saha, rooney and smith is there) ... could it be the service from the midfield? if only cristiano will learn to play direct football, and giggs will drop the showboating competition with ronaldo, while scholes gets to his old self, together with kean's usual influence in the team ...

there is hope.

espnstar is scheduled to show manutd vs arsenal this sunday at 11pm...let's hope it stays and no billards or god forbid, chinese basektball...

arsenal will be gunnig for their 50th unbeaten match while manutd will hope to get some much needed points...

para sa mga naglalaro ng football... pede sa ateneo on weekends or sa sunken garden... kaso medyo masikip na sa sunken...

american football medyo mahirap... pede siguro flag football pero i must admit halos wala akong alam about it...

what do you say people? uubra kaya na maka-buo ng kahit informal football club from amongst MTC members? females are more than welcome to join

yah,that sounds good..i used to play for a lotta teams..keep me posted or txt me

at 09196075335

guys, there is a play all you can Futsal (indoor soccer) at club 650, libis(beside shopwise), on saturday oct. 23. I think its their grand opening, everyone invited even non-members. 200 pesos yata yung play all you can including Basketball and badminton. madami pa activity for that day pero Ok yung play all you can.

Man U is lagging behind early this seaso with draws. I personally think that they are deep enough to contend for the epl but it will be an uphill climb.

For coaches wannabes there is aon online game played by thousands of soccer fanatics worldwide. check out www.hattrick.org . Lets see if you can make a good team there. Start a team in the Philippines and help the country gain soccer recognition kahit sa iternet man lang!!! CYA all there!

though wayne is a really good player, i think the likes of frank lampard (chelsea), steven gerard (liverpool) would hve been a better buy!! ruud is a very good striker, so is saha and smith (who plays center forward) ... remember the days when the english captain, beckham serves ruud in 2002 epl???

i just miss dont days!!! hes not getting the service he needs.

ruud and wayne ends arsenal winning run!!!! ahahaha. 2-0.

though i still see they lack playmaking tactics and passing, good enough to run away with a win at old trafford.

[/quote

Man u beat Arsenal with the help of the referee. Rooney's goal was good, but the thing is, there was doubt regarding the foul that he got when Campbell stuck his legs.It should not been a penalty.

Man u has to work more to close the gap between the champions and even chelsea

i cant say that i would have done better if i was the referee down the pitch. it was a tackle by sol inside the box, ur first judgement will be a penalty. though i understand where sol is coming from, seeing the replay, it was indeed a soft touch to put rooney down. but then again ... u dont have all day to make the decision. the referee must make a call and thats what riley did.

it will take a ref with a very big heart to take on the duty of officiating esp when the ball clubs involved are arch and bitter rivals.

there were plenty of contact, there were calls made, some are right some are not. i believe there was a give and take there, but the situations involved where much to the disadvantage of arsenal.

it could have worked the other way. right???

manutd needs to gel well now with the quartet of strikers they have. im sure ferguson has a good plan in mind.

its too early the season to say, what will happen in the epl, february 2005 will show u a better idea on how the season will probably end this year.

"DON'T GO OUT TONIGHT, IF YOURE NOT RED AND WHITE ...

I SEE TROUBLE'S ON YOUR WAY .... I CAN SEE TROUBLE'S ON THE WAY!!"

however you look at it, a win is a win..who else to end arsenal's record breaking run but their rivals..manU!..khit bali-baliktarin nila ang mundo, talo sila..i hate Arsene Wenger for whining like a baby to the press for the officiating..go manU!

totally agree! i also think that it was sweet justice for ruud after the fiasco that happened in last year's match where he missed his penaly shot ending the game at 0-0 and pretty much was the start of arsenal's unbeaten streak

DISAPPOINTING!!!! WHAT A MISS!!!

United dropped another game againts portsmouth, 2-0. They had most of the chances, but never got any at the back of the net!! It was a total thriller for portsmouth, trying to defend all the time and successfully making good counter attacks.

BAD!! VERY BAD!!!

what gives?  the FA suspends rio ferdinand for 8 months for missing a drug test while they suspend mutu for 7 months for testing positive for cocaine use?

it makes sense actually...... mutu took cocaine for "recreational" purposes and gained no performance advantage from it (well, maybe not on the pitch :) )

the rio ferdinand thing was actually pretty bad, as it was proven that he deliberately avoided the test..... the fa was understandably incensed

the english are particularly obsessed with "fair play" and their leadership role in world football, they cannot afford being seen as indecisive........ but you already know that. B)