Nso Matters, Dfa Matters, Citizenship, Travel, Passports Etc

kittytigerpanther

I have a question....

My wife just delivered our first son and I want his name to be the same as mine.

Here's the scenario.

My name is JUAN DELA CRUZ and i want my son to be JUAN DELA CRUZ II. The clerk in the hospital says that it is not possible since my name is not JUAN I. And if i insist, she will put under father's name of the child as JUAN DELA CRUZ I which will be in conflict with my birth certificate.

She was telling me that this is the directive of the NSO with them. Can somebody confirm or enlighten me on what is the law concerning this.

Thanks,

Art. 375 of the Civil Code provides:

Art. 375. In case of identity of names and surnames between ascendants and descendants, the word "Junior" can be used only by a son. Grandsons and other direct male descendants shall either:

(1) Add a middle name or the mother's surname, or

(2) Add the Roman Numerals II, III, and so on.

Makikita dito na ang pwedeng mong gawing pangalan sa anak mo ay "Juan Dela Cruz Jr."

Apo mo ang pwedeng maging "Juan Dela Cruz II."

I have a question....

My wife just delivered our first son and I want his name to be the same as mine.

Here's the scenario.

My name is JUAN DELA CRUZ and i want my son to be JUAN DELA CRUZ II. The clerk in the hospital says that it is not possible since my name is not JUAN I. And if i insist, she will put under father's name of the child as JUAN DELA CRUZ I which will be in conflict with my birth certificate.

She was telling me that this is the directive of the NSO with them. Can somebody confirm or enlighten me on what is the law concerning this.

Thanks,

Thank you very much for this information. It really helps me understand.

"Jr." and "Junior" is different in terms of entry in birth certificate? So i must be careful if I use Jr. or Junior? tama po ba?

Thanks again.

Art. 375. In case of identity of names and surnames between ascendants and descendants, the word "Junior" can be used only by a son. Grandsons and other direct male descendants shall either:

Makikita dito na ang pwedeng mong gawing pangalan sa anak mo ay "Juan Dela Cruz Jr."

But I dont think a person is precluded from giving his son a "II"... it only prohibit grandsons and other male descendants from using Jr. Ata.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a question my mother was born in bicol under the name of yolanda,,when she came to manila,,she changed her name to milagros,,and she uses the name(milagros on her voters affidavit and any document na kailangan ang name,,wala syang SSS or any other ID except ung ngang Voters certificate,postal ID na expired na..and now,kukuha ko sya ng passport,,e wala syang birth certificate,,kasi panahon ng war noon,,balak ko sya pa late register dito sa laguna under the name na milagros,,ang problem ko,,paano ung lupa nya sa bikol na pamana ng tatay nya,,naklagay dun eh yolanda,mawawalan ba sya ng claim dun?ano dapat ko gawin,saan dapat pumunta?mga magkano kaya cost nito?

Edited by jopok
i have a question my mother was born in bicol under the name of yolanda,,when she came to manila,,she changed her name to milagros,,and she uses the name(milagros on her voters affidavit and any document na kailangan ang name,,wala syang SSS or any other ID except ung ngang Voters certificate,postal ID na expired na..and now,kukuha ko sya ng passport,,e wala syang birth certificate,,kasi panahon ng war noon,,balak ko sya pa late register dito sa laguna under the name na milagros,,ang problem ko,,paano ung lupa nya sa bikol na pamana ng tatay nya,,naklagay dun eh yolanda,mawawalan ba sya ng claim dun?ano dapat ko gawin,saan dapat pumunta?mga magkano kaya cost nito?

I suggest she stick with Yolanda. That's her official name anyway. All other documents so long as they are private documents may easily be changed (scholastic records, employment records, etc) by way of affidavit filed with DECS, CHED, etc.

Edited by swami
I suggest she stick with Yolanda. That's her official name anyway. All other documents so long as they are private documents may easily be changed (scholastic records, employment records, etc) by way of affidavit filed with DECS, CHED, etc.

wala po sya birth certicate,since wartime sya pinanganak,,i doubt if may school record,,di nga sya nakatapos ng elem,,if matatawag na legal document ang voters affidavit at senior citizen at postal I.D.,,ang name na gamit nya dun ay milagros na,,ang tanging document na makokonek mo sa yolanda ay baka ung title ng minana nyang lupa..salamat,,sana masagot ulit

wala po sya birth certicate,since wartime sya pinanganak,,i doubt if may school record,,di nga sya nakatapos ng elem,,if matatawag na legal document ang voters affidavit at senior citizen at postal I.D.,,ang name na gamit nya dun ay milagros na,,ang tanging document na makokonek mo sa yolanda ay baka ung title ng minana nyang lupa..salamat,,sana masagot ulit

ipa-late registration mo na yolanda. Mas importante yung property kaysa sa mga senior citizen's and postal id. pwede naman palitan yung senior citizen at postal id.

Hi, I have a question here regarding dual-citizenship.

My uncle who has a son abroad has been going back and forth the US and RP as required by his green card. This year he is eligible to apply for US citizenship now that we have a dual citizenship law here in the Philippines. If he becomes a dual citizen, is he no longer bound to periodically go back to the US meaning he can just go there at his leisure? Thanks in advance. :thumbsupsmiley:

ipa-late registration mo na yolanda. Mas importante yung property kaysa sa mga senior citizen's and postal id. pwede naman palitan yung senior citizen at postal id.

yun pong birth certificate naming magkakapatid eh milagros nakalagay,,wala din sila marriage contract or certificate ng father ko,,coz di naman sila kasal..BUT dun sa B.C naming magkakapatid eh married daw sila,,stilll ung venue ng marriage eh tatlong lugar din diff sa bawat isa sa amin

Hi, I have a question here regarding dual-citizenship.

My uncle who has a son abroad has been going back and forth the US and RP as required by his green card. This year he is eligible to apply for US citizenship now that we have a dual citizenship law here in the Philippines. If he becomes a dual citizen, is he no longer bound to periodically go back to the US meaning he can just go there at his leisure? Thanks in advance. :thumbsupsmiley:

The purpose of the dual citizenship law is to allow Filipinos who have acquired citizenship of other countries to re-acquire Philippine citizenship and participate in a political exercise, i.e. vote in elections. As to going periodically to the US as required by the green card, that has nothing to do with and is independent of our dual citizenship law.

yun pong birth certificate naming magkakapatid eh milagros nakalagay,,wala din sila marriage contract or certificate ng father ko,,coz di naman sila kasal..BUT dun sa B.C naming magkakapatid eh married daw sila,,stilll ung venue ng marriage eh tatlong lugar din diff sa bawat isa sa amin

next time, present all the facts. it's annoying if you give the facts piecce-meal.

• 4 weeks later...

kung hindi na sila Filipino, at gusto nilang bumili ng LUPA na matitirhan, sabi ng Batas Pambansa 185:

Section 2. Any natural-born citizen of the Philippines who has lost his Philippine citizenship and who has the legal capacity to enter into a contract under Philippine laws may be a transferee of a private land up to a maximum area of one thousand square meters, in the case of urban land, or one hectare in the case of rural land, to be used by him as his residence. In the case of married couples, one of them may avail of the privilege herein granted; Provided, That if both shall avail of the same, the total area acquired shall not exceed the maximum herein fixed.

In case the transferee already owns urban or rural lands for residential purposes, he shall still be entitled to be a transferee of additional urban or rural lands for residential purposes which, when added to those already owned by him, shall not exceed the maximum areas herein authorized.

kung ang gusto naman nila ay LUPA na pang-negosyo (di kasali ang negosyong buy-and-sell ng lupa), ayon sa Republic Act 7042 (Foreign Investments Act of 1991) as amended by RA 8179:

SEC. 10. Other rights of natural-born citizen pursuant to the provisions of Article XII, Section 8 of the Constitution. - Any natural-born citizen who has lost his Philippine citizenship and who has the legal capacity to enter into a contract under Philippine Laws may be a transferee of a private land up to a maximum area of five thousand [5,000] square meters in the case of urban land or three [3] hectares in the case of rural land to be used by him for business or other purposes. In the case of married couples, one of them may avail of the privilege herein granted: Provided, That If both shall avail of the same, the total area acquired shall not exceed the maximum herein fixed.

In case the transferee already owns urban or rural land for business or other purposes, he shall be entitled to be a transferee of additional urban or rural land for business or other purposes which when added to those already owned by him shall not exceed the maximum areas herein authorized.

A transferee under this Act may acquire not more than two [2] lots which should be situated in different municipalities or cities anywhere in the Philippines: Provided, That the total land area thereof shall not exceed five thousand [5,000] square meters in the case of urban land or three [3] hectares in the case of rural land for use by him for business or other purposes. A transferee who has already acquired urban land shall be disqualified form acquiring rural land and vice versa.

kung bahay o gusali lang ang bibilhin (di kasali ang lupa), pwedeng-pwede itong bilhin ng isang dating Filipino ng walang limitasyon.

kung ang laki o dami ng lupa na bibilhin ay sobra na sa nakasaad sa batas, ang available option na lang ay upahan ito (maximum ng 25 years lease, renewable for another 25 years - Pres. Decree 471)

yung bang mga nag pa citizen sa ibang country na filipino e pwede pang bumili ng property sa pinas ????
  • 1 month later...

guys, an illegitmate child was born and was acknowledged by the father, would it follow that the child may use the surname of the biological dad?

if so, if the mom does not want the kid (super minor) to use the dad's surname, is there a process to revoke or revert it so that the kid will remain using the mom's surname? thanks

1. would it follow that the child may use the surname of the biological dad?

yes. yan ang epekto ng R.A. No. 9255, pwede nang gamitin ng anak sa labas ang apelyido ng kanilang ama.

2. is there a process to revoke or revert it so that the kid will remain using the mom's surname?

that seems to be the problem right now. the implementing rules and regulations formulated to implement RA9255 has not taken into consideration the wishes of the mother, hence this situation is currently not covered by the rules. the mother, i think, might be forced to go to court and file a petition for declaratory relief

guys, an illegitmate child was born and was acknowledged by the father, would it follow that the child may use the surname of the biological dad?

if so, if the mom does not want the kid (super minor) to use the dad's surname, is there a process to revoke or revert it so that the kid will remain using the mom's surname? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago, may pinakasalan ako sa huwes, yung secret marriage na tinatawag. Makalipas lang ng kasal ay nagbago ang isip namin at hindi kami nag-sama, ang isa pa ay mga menor de edad pa kami noon. Wala din parental consent ang ginawa namin. Nag-away din kami at di na nagkita. Nakakita na sya ng ibang bf, at ako naman ay may iba na ring gf na sya ko naman pinakasalan. Nag-asawa na rin ang gf ko at pareho na kami may kanya-kanyang pamilya.

Ngayon, kumuha ako ng cenomar at nakarekord doon ang dalawa kong marriage. Ano po ang legal na paraan para mapabura ko ang una kong marriage?

mag-file ka ng kaso para ipawalang-bisa ang una mong kasal.

Note: dahil nung magpakasal ka muli, wala pang deklarasyon mula sa korte na walang-bisa ang una mong kasal, ayon sa Family Code (dahil ikinasal ka ng unang beses nung 2000, ito ang kumukober sa sitwasyon mo), wala ring bisa ang pangalawa mong kasal.

kumunsulta agad sa abugado bago pa lumaki ang problema mo.

10 years ago, may pinakasalan ako sa huwes, yung secret marriage na tinatawag. Makalipas lang ng kasal ay nagbago ang isip namin at hindi kami nag-sama, ang isa pa ay mga menor de edad pa kami noon. Wala din parental consent ang ginawa namin. Nag-away din kami at di na nagkita. Nakakita na sya ng ibang bf, at ako naman ay may iba na ring gf na sya ko naman pinakasalan. Nag-asawa na rin ang gf ko at pareho na kami may kanya-kanyang pamilya.

Ngayon, kumuha ako ng cenomar at nakarekord doon ang dalawa kong marriage. Ano po ang legal na paraan para mapabura ko ang una kong marriage?

ang passport ay valid for 5 years lang, ibig sabihin expired na yung 2001 passport. mag-apply na lang kayo for a new passport using her newly-corrected birth certificate. ayon sa website ng DFA, kakailanganin ninyo para dito ang Marriage certificate ng magulang, original birth certificate at amended birth certificate ng bata. tsaka siyempre, ung lumang passport nung bata.

if you have gotten a new pasport for her already, buti pa hintayin nyo na lang ang expiry nito sa 2011 (assuming nirenew nyo yung passport last 2006), tutal, machine-readable na ang bagong passport, and the old one which you have is not. ganun din cguro ang requirements.

My daughter was born out of wedlock 1988 so in her birth cert she bears the surname of her mother

.... 1994 I married the mother .....

2001 She got a passport still in having the surname of her mother

2009 I have her NSO birth certificate corrected with my surname on

How do we correct now her passport?

Edited by rocco69

1. kapag na-annul ang unang marriage, kailangan pakasalan ko uli ang asawa ko para maging valid ang relationship?

yup, wala nga kasi siyang bisa kaya kailangan mong magpakasal uli (matapos ipa-annul ang una mong kasal) para mabigyang bisa ito.

2. gaano po ba katagal ang ganitong hakbang?

madali magpakasal. ikaw na rin ang nagsabi, nagpa-secret marriage ka 10 years ago, di ba mabilis lang yun.

ang matagal yung pagpapawalang-bisa sa kasal mo at di natin hawak ang oras ng huwes, ng piskal, etc. tsaka may iba pang factors na pwedeng magpatagal sa kaso (matagal din bago maglabas ng "finality" ng desisyon ang korte). anyway, dahil sabi mo na pareho kayong menor de edad (ibig sabihin below 18 kayo pareho) nung ikaw ay magpakasal 10 years ago, mas madaling ipawalang-bisa ang kasal mo kesa sa iba (edad nyo lang ang patutunayan), kaya dapat mas madaling matapos ito kesa sa ordinaryong kaso ng pagpapawalang-bisa ng kasal. baka walong-buwan hanggang isang taon tapos na ito (note: ipagpalagay natin na nanalo ka sa kaso, hindi dahil may desisyon na kung saan panalo ka ay pwede ka nang magpakasal. hihintayin mo pa na maging "final and executory" ito bago ka makapagpapakasal - otherwise walang bisa ang pangalawa mong kasal. medyo matagal din ito, minsan inaabot ng 6 na buwan hanggang taon).

3. magkano po kaya ang nagagastos?

malaki ang kamurahan nito kesa sa ordinaryong pagpapa-annul dahil nga mas madaling patunayan ito.

kapag na-annul ang unang marriage, kailangan pakasalan ko uli ang asawa ko para maging valid ang relationship? gaano po ba katagal ang ganitong hakbang at magkano po kaya ang nagagastos? kahit estimate lang po mula sa annulment hanggang sa panibagong marriage.

thank you po