Are You From The 80s?

My favorite year in music was 1983. That was a bad ass year indeed with Synchronicity of the Police leading the way. Jacko's "Thriller" album came out late 1982 but we all know the hits started churning in 1983 starting with "Billie Jean." I distinctly remember Jacko appearing in the 1983 Motown Records special where he performed the track (albeit, not live) but it was the first time I actually got to see him sing that song. At that time, I regularly listened to that track on RT where it was given maximum mileage.

Then, you have the likes of Men At Work, Greg Kihn Band, David Bowie, Joe Jackson among others having their own albums released that year.

@the_sentinel

How could I have forgotten Kudos? The Big 3 discos in that era were Faces, Euphoria and Kudos. Metro, Rumors, Zigzag were second-tier discos.

Yup, fun times indeed. I was fortunate enough to get a free entrance pass at Faces everytime through friends - best way really to meet and hook up with girls back then.

Rumors, though, was one of the most, if not, the most popular back then. It helped a lot that somehow, most of the college parties back then were held in Rumors, it also helped that they advertised on the leading FM radio stations back then like KISS and RT. Curiously, the track "Rumors" of Timex Social Club helped cement the joint as the leading choice among students and yuppies back then. When TSC came out with a second track "Jealousy," (both tracks of which debuted on Philippine radio through KISS-FM), a new disco joint opened in Quezon City called "Jealousy." This was across the National Bookstore building along Quezon Avenue and beside McDonald's QA.

Kudos was located at Mile Long. If we went there without dates and try to hook up with some but end up empty, we'd find ourselves carousing through the joint beside it - Pharaoh! Didn't happen often though because of the hefty price.

First time we got a Sony Betamax set SL-5800 was back in 1980. First tape that we played in that machine? James Clavell's novel "Shogun". First R-rated that we played there? "Stay The Way You Are" starring the luscious Nastassja Kinski! Of course, you know which one was easier to remember...

Also loved playing Game & Watch back then, particularly during summer when there was nothing to do. Popeye, Octopus and Chef were the gadgets we had at home and it was quite addicting.

Whenever one bought a new Atari machine, it came in with a free game. The game was "Combat," one of the most boring video games back then. I actually enjoyed "Super Breakout" but became fascinated with Activision games like "Tennis" and "Donkey Kong."

I'm not familiar with Jealousy but I heard of it. After the disco era, genres like house and trance or whatever you call those didn't appeal to me.

Guess it's a periodic thing. After the disco scene, what came out next were jazz bars like Jazz Rhythms, Reasons, etc. After this period came the concert scene when live bands started performing in bars - most popular of which in the 90's was Music Hall located near EDSA.

• 1 month later...

80's Love Teams

Fatima Alvir at Brylle Mondejar

Marilyn Villamayor at Manolet Ripoll

Tina Godinez at Nikki Martell

Yup im from the 80's

in addition: caselyn francisco + chucky dreyfus, tina paner + cris villanueva, jograd delatorre + vincent dapalong (di loveteam, pero nice comedian/singers that time)

Game 'n watch, Nintendo, family computer (contra, twinbee, battletank, spartan, supermario, pacman, etc..), Brickgames, BMx, rollerblades, taguan, piko, tumbang preso, teks, magicards, bumerang, syato, patintero, troli, tirador, sumpit, turumpo, chineesegarter, Betamax/VHS, notriband, siopao(pusa), bioman, shaider, daimos, voltesV, maskriderblack,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...