Are You From The 80s?

• 1 month later...

80's PBA

In 1981, the PBA season was noted for its only two Conferences because of the Southeast Asian Games (SEAG) in Manila. Toyota and Crispa won championships. Adornado became the first 3-time MVP. The season introduced the capping of the imports' heights in order, to showcase the locals in their own leagues.

In 1982, Fernandez won the MVP. It was the El Presidente's first of his four MVPs.

The 1983 season saw Crispa win its second Grand Slam since, the league sophomore year. Billy Ray Bates 6-4, maybe the league's greatest import, introduced fans to the jive-talking, slam-dunking, a-la Jordanesque moves, American player.

Remember the Trump Cards?

Comes in nice pics and tech specs of ships, cars, trains, etc

The original variant comes with the Yellow and Red Cards

The imitation pack comes with "Super Trump!"

How about the World of Survival and Age of Dinosaur Sticker Books from Figurine Panini? P2.50 per sticker (circa 1985)

You swap with peeps to eliminate duplicate stickers

Edited by orionpax

The 80s was when I owned my first personal computer. An IBM Compatible PC that was assembled in Taiwan. Bought it for P19,000 in Greenhills. (Walang resibo para mas malaki ang discount. :lol: )

Popular PC Software used back in the mid to late 1980s on IBM-compatible machines:

1. Wordstar (Word Processing)

2. Lotus 123 (Spreadsheet)

3. Flow (Flowcharting software)

4. dBase (database software)

5. Multimate (Word Processing)

Computer programming languages in use:

1. Basic (for personal computers)

2. COBOL and FORTRAN (for mainframes)

3. RPG (for midrange IBM System 36 computers)

Edited by willow_boy

80's PBA

Toyota folded in 1984. The PBA held two All-Filipino Conferences in the wake of the economic crisis caused by the country's political instability. Great Taste Coffee established a dynasty. Jaworski and Arnaiz became members of Gilbey's Gin, the La Tondena franchise. Beer Hausen succeed the defunct Toyota squad. Northern Consolidated, the sponsored National Amateur guest team, played in the league in order, to compete and win international tourneys such as, the Asian Basketball Championships (ABC). The experiment worked as the Philippines regained its supremacy in Asia in the 1986 Asian Championships in Kuala Lumpur.

The PBA's first decade came to an unstable ending as Sanyu and multi-titled Crispa Redmanizers disbanded. The PBA moved to new surrounding, the ULTRA in Pasig. Live attendance and TV ratings rose. In 1985, Filipinas Shell replaced Crispa and demanded for some balance in the PBA. The PBA held its first Amateur Draft And picked Sonny Cabatu, a 6-5 centre, as the first-ever No. 1 pick. Northern Consolidated won the first sweep, 4-0, against Manila Beer in the Reinforced Conference.

Tanduay established a dynasty by becoming back-to-back Champions in 1986. Led by the import duo of Rob Williams and Andre McKoy won the Reinforced Conference. The Rhummakers proved itself as the best local team by winning the succeeding All-Filipino tiarra. Tanduay was led by Ramon Fernandez, JB Yango and Onchie dela Cruz.

In 1987, Tanduay made it three crowns out of four conferences, led by David Thirdkill.

The IBA World Challenge Cup was held with an American team beating Great Taste.

• 1 month later...

The 1988 season saw only six teams, the PBA's lowest number for a season. Purefoods replaced the Tanduay Rhummakers. The Hotdogs became the league's glamour team overnight, as it was consisted of the five-best amateurs and the core of the defunct Tanduay team. Rookies Alvin Patrimonio 6-3, Jerry Cordinera 6-6, with Ramon Fernandez, led Purefoods to runner-up finishers in its first two conferences. All-Filipino Champions, Anejo Rhum 65, took the 1988 World Challenge Cup beating an IBA American ballclub.

• 3 weeks later...

after watching "sharon" showcasing the 80's, i felt the need to go back to my baul and dig up those yesteryear memorabilia.

CALLING THOSE faces and rumors disco regulars, drag racers of greenhills and sperry addicts (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!). share those memories!!!

i'll post pics tomorrow.

check out this link...this song was used sa ad ng faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCoilueBpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4KT0yHZWI

Edited by pabling
after watching "sharon" showcasing the 80's, i felt the need to go back to my baul and dig up those yesteryear memorabilia.

CALLING THOSE faces and rumors disco regulars, drag racers of greenhills and sperry addicts (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!). share those memories!!!

i'll post pics tomorrow.

check out this link...this song was used sa ad ng faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCoilueBpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4KT0yHZWI

Merging 80s thread in Free Stuff with existing Are You from the 80s thread in Culture in Living.

Duplicate threads. Continue to post here pls.

Ako nga strutter pa eh hehe..!!

Faves:

1. Miami Vice

2. Duran Duran

3. All new wave songs

4. Guns N Roses

5. Away kanto (teenager pa kasi)

6. Showdown sa mga parties

7. Girls

8. Espadrille or Ags

9. Loose polo and pants (pangstrut)

10. Marami pa iba, basta d best ang 80's!!

When we had our reunion, I saw some of my friends still wearing pormang 80s ala Miami Vice. In another daytime party, I saw some wearing deck shoes (sperry and sebago). I still have some of my cole-haan loafers (penny and tassled) from the 80s. I might wear them again in the near future. Wala lang! :P

• 3 weeks later...