• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Are You From The 80s?

Yep, I remember those days.  Pero college na ako nun and was no longer in SBC.  But still had strong links to the Bedan community.  (There was a Bedan that got shot in Mendiola during one of the rallies.  His name was Ramon Santos.  He was my childhood friend and his older brothers were barkadas of my cousins.)  Plus, the rallies that I went to, a lot of them end up in Mendiola.

Eto medyo OT:  I could imagine how it was like for the students there at that time.  Before martial law, dami rin rallies.  Eh yung GS Building, nasa Mendiola mismo.  Kapag nagbatuhan, minsan pati classrooms namin tinatamaan.

Yung Dennis, inabutan mo pa ba sa Concepcion Aguila?  Alleged pick-up place for La Co girls?  Corona?  Not the bookstore but the place upstairs hehehe . . . .  And the best barbecue sauce (bar none) in the world can be found only at the SBC cafeteria. :cool:

During my college years in San Beda (just before Ninoy's assasination), the Marcos' were so powerful and hardly a rally ever took place in Mendiola.

I know where Paste is but I never had the chance to go there.  Mostly college crowd na dun.  In GS and HS, mga yagit pa kami kaya wala pang pambayad :D  :D  :D

Hanggang fishballs ni Shirley lang kami  :D  :D  :D

Or yung Magnolia Frozen Delights and yosi ni Mang Conde!

Yung Dennis, inabutan mo pa ba sa Concepcion Aguila?  Alleged pick-up place for La Co girls?  Corona?  Not the bookstore but the place upstairs hehehe . . . .  And the best barbecue sauce (bar none) in the world can be found only at the SBC cafeteria. :cool:

No, sorry d ko naabutan ang Dennis.

This is a longshot, but by any chance na-abutan mo pa ba si Conde?? Yung tindero ng ice cream sa Mendiola gate??

Back in the 80's we had a lot of fun when there was a jeepney strike. SBC being surrounded by La Co, Holy Spirit and....and.....darn it I forgot the one in front of us....a lot of girls would want to hitch a ride with anyone who had a car....damn, those were the days....

Corona din yung bilyaran d ba?

This is a longshot, but by any chance na-abutan mo pa ba si Conde?? Yung tindero ng ice cream sa Mendiola gate??

Back in the 80's we had a lot of fun when there was a jeepney strike. SBC being surrounded by La Co, Holy Spirit and....and.....darn it I forgot the one in front of us....a lot of girls would want to hitch a ride with anyone who had a car....damn, those were the days....

Don't remember his name but I remember there was this ice cream vendor who's there everyday. Matanda na at payat. Actually, GS pa lang ako, nagtitinda na ng ice cream yun sa Mendiola. I remember buying those twin popsies. He'll break it into two and so you can just buy half of it.

The joke then was that Holy Spirit- asawa ng San Beda, yung La Co -mga kabit daw. And the one in front, dun daw yung mga yaya. Hehehe... (My apologies sa mga tinamaan. Peace!)

Corona, yes, dun yung bilyaran. Never really been there but I know the place. (Kunwari pa daw?) Sa ibaba sa labas ng bookstore, there were vendors selling the best and the most unforgettable turon with langka that I've tried. :cool:

Masi was right in that especially after the so-called Mendiola massacre, few rallies were ever allowed to march into Mendiola. Mostly Liwasang Bonifacio na ang punta ng mga rally. It was in the mid-80s when Ayala also became a popular venue for mass action.

No, sorry d ko naabutan ang Dennis.

Dennis is located some 15 to 20 meters from the corner of C. Aguila and Mendiola. You pass it on your way to Paste. The La Co (somehow that doesn't sound right) girls would look at you 'til you melt when pass. :evil:

I remember Mang Conde, he was short and stocky with salt and pepper crew cut hair. The joke was that he was successful in sending his sons to La Salle and Ateneo through selling ice cream. (Incidentally, his sons sold ice cream too, in La Sall and Ateneo. Now, that was mean!!!)

Masi was right in that especially after the so-called Mendiola massacre, few rallies were ever allowed to march into Mendiola.  Mostly Liwasang Bonifacio na ang punta ng mga rally.  It was in the mid-80s when Ayala also became a popular venue for mass action.

I remember going back to SBC post-Ninoy assassination and it was heavily guarded. First time I saw container vans positioned on Mendiola. It was pretty eerie. I was told that students who brought cars to school had special permits to access Mendiola then.

Right after college, in the 80s I worked for a Marcos crony company. The color yellow was banned!!! We can't join anti-Marcos rallies!!! During the campaign period for the snap election, we were made to attend the KBL rally in Luneta. We were brought there in airconditioned buses and fed at the Manila Hotel. We were even paid P100, which at that time was a fairly big amount. We had to post a "Marcos pa rin!" sticker on our cars otherwise, we wouldn't be allowed to park in the building carpark area.

I had a friend whose brother worked for Bong Bong and he had a signed card from Bong Bong. Everytime we passed those police checkpoints, he would flash the card and we were allowed to move on, no matter how drunk we were.

• 3 weeks later...

80's...New Wave Era!!! I guess this is the era I can relate well... I was in Elementary and early Highschool days!!! Famous dance step was the "chop" while dancing to the tune of "State of the Nation", not to forget Street Beat ... Era of mini-skirts with leg warmers and hi-cut reebok shoes! BAGETS rose to fame! Funk Era! Leather with metal spikes... Converse Hi-cut, VANS sneakers, HARUTA (penny loafers), SWATCH rose to fame as well. Past time...working on our respective RUBIK cubes! We had our first ATARI - Space Invaders and PACMAN...then to Nintendo! Cartoons..hmmm Candy Candy, Voltez V and Haidee (the girl with the St. Bernard dog) and He-Man, Smurfs, Knight Rider and The Muppets Show. TV shows includes my 2 most fave ALF and Punky Bruister!!! ..Filipino TV Show includes Analiza, Flordeluna, GMA Supershow, Eat Bulaga, Student Canteen. Wala pa CD... BETAMAX lang..hehehe Movies includes Karate Kid, Rambo, Gremlin, Mannequin, FAME, St Elmo's Fire

Fave music artist includes: U2, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Spandau Ballet , Culture Club, China Crisis, The Police, George Michael, WHAM, Tears for Fears, Phil Collins, Bangles and Human League ..music industry was ruled by British Artist that time if I can remember it right. Music includes State of the Nation, Buttercup, Just Got Lucky, Roam, Gold, True, Like a Virgin, Every Breath You Take, Believe it or Not, King and Queen of Hearts, Wake Me Up before You Go-Go, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Rossana and many many many more!

Mabuhay ang 80's!

Oh by the way, for 80's fan...drop by 6 Underground Bar and Resto along Carlos Palanca, Makati. Once a month they have this 80's night..and all you hear are all NEW WAVE music....I think it is held every 2nd Thursday of the month..I was there last Thursday...grabe!!! Galing...sarap to listen to new wave music talaga! The best! See you there...

not to forget pala the following:

GIFT GATE - SANRIO

Tokyo Tokyo

Happy Feet

Cinderella - best place to buy clothes and shoes before sa North Mall ng Glorietta

Spaghetti ng Makati Supermarket

MENUDO - boy band (hehehe..nanuod ako concert sa Folk Arts)

ANNIE - the orphan girl which was also locally portrayed by Leah Salonga

Penthouse Live - Martin and Pops with Donya Buding

... lastly I will never forget our Highschool Dance and Soiree's...hehehehe (tama ba spelling)

not to forget pala the following:

GIFT GATE - SANRIO

Tokyo Tokyo

Happy Feet

Cinderella - best place to buy clothes and shoes before sa North Mall ng Glorietta

Spaghetti ng Makati Supermarket

MENUDO - boy band (hehehe..nanuod ako concert sa Folk Arts)

ANNIE - the orphan girl which was also locally portrayed by Leah Salonga

Penthouse Live - Martin and Pops with Donya Buding

... lastly I will never forget our Highschool Dance and Soiree's...hehehehe (tama ba spelling)

The Tigers,Ulra Storm concerts,Corinthians/Greenwich clubhouse New Wave parties,Party mobiles like Spye,Disco Stereo,Quantum Spin,Psychodeco Bla-Bla Shoes,Argyle socks,pants with zippers at the bottom,Apeng Daldal's movie "The Magic Bilao"Myrna Castillo,Janice Jurado,Eva Eugenio,Oscar Obligacion,Manolo Pabis

Gulong ng Palad,Donya Aguida,Peping,Carding,Lord Wally hair gel,spray net,Bob-cut,corolla lift back,lancer box type,lifters,fuho spoilers,P7 pirelli,18RG twin side,engelman side mirrors,Radiowealth/Zenith cabinet type tvs,JD transit bus(ang bus na gawa sa kahoy na Lawanette)Far-Out Shirts,Crayons Shoes,Sperry/abito boat shoes,President attache case,Rumors,Gossip,Faces,Where Else,Mars,Rythm And Booze,Jazz Rythms,Peps,Equinox,Giordano frog,Molly Ringwald,Pretty in Pink,Some Kind of Wonderful,Phoebe Cates,Six Million Dollar Man,Bionic Woman,The Love Boat,Jovan,Brute,Halston,Drakkar,Alfie Anido,Julie Vega

Haha, ang tanda na natin.

Atari pa ang gamit ko nun, asteroids yung laro.

Yung glorietta hiwalay hiwalay pa.

Rizal theater at hinde shangri-la ang nasa kanto ng ayala at makati ave.

Dapat baston ang pantalon mo para cool.

Rayban lang ang uso na shades.

Malinis pa ang manila bay at pag may ubo o sipon ka kailangan mong lumanghap ng amoy ng tubig dagat doon.

Yes I'm from the 80s, its good to hear the sounds of the 80s.

Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Hang Ten, Big Man Shoes, Cartimar Pasay and Recto, Heavy Metal boutique in Cartimar, Cash and Carry, Moon Kresta, Donkey Kong, Tank City, No Nuke Concert, Rock Show, Dance 10, Deney Terio, Knap Sax, Game and Watch (Popeye and Octopus), Charmis (Girls Fave Scent hehehe) Save Gas Ride Bus-Love Bus, Live Bands at Shakey’s...

Minute Man, Propaganda, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Aztec Camera, Blanc Mange, Til Tuesday, A Flock of Seagulls, The Church, The Faint, Icicle Works, Modern English, Seonna Dancing, Oingo Bongo, The Pet Shop Boys, Stray Cats, Ultravox, Bananarama, The Go go’s (hehehe) Quiet Riot, Twisted Sisters Cum on Feel The Noize!!! The Dawn, The Jerks, One Local Band with a girl vocalist forgot the name but their songs are really nice like “Remembering October”- Requiem Concerts? 102.5 DWXB, DZBM...

Dondon Ampalayo, Leo Isaac, Mukesh Advani, Michael Hacket and Ginebra’s Dominating Twin Towers- Ed Ducut and Romy Mamaril Hehehehe...

Im beginning to enjoy this hehehe I can go on for hours bringing back those yesteryears...