Running

daDJ

When I do my long run... I don't base my run on km... I based it on time... planning to have 90mins run on my next long run

For long runs, how do you manage hydration? Do you bring a bottle or just buy drinks along the route?

Problema ko kasi yun. Meron lang akong belt na may 2 10oz bottles. OK sa sponsored fun runs kasi pwede mag-refill sa water stations na every 2km. Pero sa solo long run, hindi ko pa napa-plano kung paano. Nagatatanong lang at baka may standard practices na kayong ginagawa.

For long runs, how do you manage hydration? Do you bring a bottle or just buy drinks along the route?

Problema ko kasi yun. Meron lang akong belt na may 2 10oz bottles. OK sa sponsored fun runs kasi pwede mag-refill sa water stations na every 2km. Pero sa solo long run, hindi ko pa napa-plano kung paano. Nagatatanong lang at baka may standard practices na kayong ginagawa.

in my case, bumibili lang ako along the route. i tried running dati may bitbit 1.5L na gatorade. hassle eh haha

Right now around 20-30km/week, but I should be getting 40-45km/week.

Well, I see to it to run 2-3 times a week... An alternate of Long Run, Speed Training, and Run (medium lang distance)

I don't have calendar or sched when will I run basta naispan... hehehe

KM in a week... averaging 25-35km...

thanks, fdrive and turk!

i'm clearly the laggard on this thread, running between 18-24k a week, 5-6x a week. no matter how many times i do run, i try to get 3 key runs in: tempo, quality (intervals done on the treadmill), and a long but easy one (same as Turk, i go by time, which is 60 min. max for me)

my "long" run is done on the treadmill so i have water handy, and the a/c keeps me from overheating. to combat the boredom i've switched to audiobooks, instead of listening to music, which gets tiresome after about 30 min. my friend who runs marathons said he makes his home part of the route, and that's his water stop lol.

my "long" run is done on the treadmill so i have water handy, and the a/c keeps me from overheating. to combat the boredom i've switched to audiobooks, instead of listening to music, which gets tiresome after about 30 min. my friend who runs marathons said he makes his home part of the route, and that's his water stop lol.

I've tried that, but when I go inside the house I have the urge to just stop and take a cold shower. hehehe. I have to hit 3:30 to 4:00 hours on the road by next month.

I tried running on the treadmill last night. Unfortunately, those who were ahead of me turned off all the A/C and opened all the windows. Good for them on the weight machines, but not for those running long on the treadmill.

The number of km per week will really depend on your goal. The only reason I need to do 40+km per week is because I'm training for 42K. :-D After this, will probably go back down to around 20-25km/week.

Edited by floppydrive

I've tried that, but when I go inside the house I have the urge to just stop and take a cold shower. hehehe. I have to hit 3:30 to 4:00 hours on the road by next month.

The number of km per week will really depend on your goal. The only reason I need to do 40+km per week is because I'm training for 42K. :-D After this, will probably go back down to around 20-25km/week.

hahaha, fdrive i get what you mean. laziness strikes me in a similar way. when i wake up at 5am to run, and there just happens to be any kind of sweet thing inside the fridge when i reach for a drink, i will most likely greet the sun gorging on cake rather than lacing my shoes.

my goal is to run enough to stay fit despite the dessert habit. medyo mababaw, kaya ang hirap mag-increase ng mileage laugh.gif. but i think i'll try to get to 30k a week by feb next year.

I try to run every day ... TRY is the big word coz I end up walking fast lang :lol:

ok lang.. walking fast is still better than standing still diba? :D

wow dami nyo pala takbo. ako weekend warrior lang. the most i do is 10km per week (on my usual sunday run from house to sta lucia, then back)

pag tinamad pa.. wala na.. running and bball are my only activities (except for spa of course haha)

so i have to "force" myself to join events para nde tamarin at may motivation to run and watch my diet

eto nga pala yung running calendar ko for the coming weeks.. anyone joining me on these events?

Nov25 -- Run BGC -- 15k

Dec2 -- Nike Run -- 10k

Dec9 -- Milo Marathon -- 21k

Dec16 -- Sin Tax Run -- 6k (probably my last run for 2012)

still deciding if im going for 21k or 42k sa condura.. parang kinakabahan ako na nae-excite if naiisip ko mag register sa 42k eh

ok lang.. walking fast is still better than standing still diba? :D

wow dami nyo pala takbo. ako weekend warrior lang. the most i do is 10km per week (on my usual sunday run from house to sta lucia, then back)

pag tinamad pa.. wala na.. running and bball are my only activities (except for spa of course haha)

so i have to "force" myself to join events para nde tamarin at may motivation to run and watch my diet

eto nga pala yung running calendar ko for the coming weeks.. anyone joining me on these events?

Nov25 -- Run BGC -- 15k

Dec2 -- Nike Run -- 10k

Dec9 -- Milo Marathon -- 21k

Dec16 -- Sin Tax Run -- 6k (probably my last run for 2012)

still deciding if im going for 21k or 42k sa condura.. parang kinakabahan ako na nae-excite if naiisip ko mag register sa 42k eh

Condura is only 10 weeks away. Medyo kulang na sa oras para sa training mula 10km/week. Suggestion lang po na huwag na muna kayo mag-42K sa Condura at baka ma-injure kayo o di kaya abutin ng cramps at mahabang lakad. Unless, of course, slow down lang ang training nyo ngayon at sanay na kayo mag 32km up.

Just signed up for Dec 9 Milo 21k din. :-D Also signed up for Heroes Run Dec 2, 21K.

Passed on the Sin Tax run. Will just run solo from Dec 16 onwards. Sa January na lang ulit sasali sa mga fun run.

I try to run every day ... TRY is the big word coz I end up walking fast lang :lol:

we've all been there, at least you get out and do a brisk walk. sometimes i get up, get dressed, and snooze on the sofa hehe.

wow ppdd, how do you manage to finish a 21k with only a long sunday run to prepare? ang lakas mo, nakakainggit.

Passed on the Sin Tax run. Will just run solo from Dec 16 onwards. Sa January na lang ulit sasali sa mga fun run.

i passed on all runs for the rest of the year, too, even the very tempting sin tax run. might just prepare for the subic run in january.

Regarding Hydration during training.... In practice or in race, I usually drink powerade, gatorade or water every 20mins - 25mins....

In Long run, I usually do my run on UP Sunken Garden (2.2km per lap) or on a Cemetery nearby on our house (1.1km per lap)

I just put my drinks on a place, and when its time for me to get hydrated... I pick it up, drink and carry it for one lap (well, i practice myself also drinking while jogging)

Race Schedule Nov 30 3km Race for Life...

wink.gif

If I rehydrate on long runs, I usually don't stop or walk at normal pace kasi in my previous experience, I would lose my adrenaline rush temporarily. Yun bang parang bumabagal/tinatamad, kanya I make it a point to run walk or jog when rehydrating. Thus, just like Turk I also practiced drinking while jogging.

Also, I normally get my second wind on the two-third portion of long runs, where on the 1st half parang napapagod na ako. Tapos I'll sprint/dash the last 100 meters.

we've all been there, at least you get out and do a brisk walk. sometimes i get up, get dressed, and snooze on the sofa hehe.

haha. korek. i used to sleep in my running attire dati (minus the socks/shoes syempre). then set ng alarm sa cp (3am)

nung nag alarm, pinatay ko lang then balik tulog

pag gising ko, asar talo ako sa ermats ko and sister... anlayo na daw ng tinakbo ko.. sa panaginip! haha

wow ppdd, how do you manage to finish a 21k with only a long sunday run to prepare? ang lakas mo, nakakainggit.

ah eh.. swerte lang siguro haha.. siguro kasi i feel more physically fit now compared to me 5yrs ago (maybe even 10yrs ago)

Condura is only 10 weeks away. Medyo kulang na sa oras para sa training mula 10km/week. Suggestion lang po na huwag na muna kayo mag-42K sa Condura at baka ma-injure kayo o di kaya abutin ng cramps at mahabang lakad. Unless, of course, slow down lang ang training nyo ngayon at sanay na kayo mag 32km up.

thanks for the concern bro.. i think i could do 25km at my current condition.. pero syempre 42km is still a long way

ang prob ko lang tlaga is squeezing in the practice runs at my schedule.. madami kasi ako VL filed this Dec so pedeng-pde mag practice to increase the mileage, pero prob ko is by January.. babalik sa weekly run nalang yung avail sched ko.. :(

so i guess i'll follow your advice.. madami pa nman 42km events. slowly but surely 'ika nga

but still, i'll continue the plan i have set to add mileage to my runs.. para when the right time comes, pde na sumali..

my target: complete a full marathon in 2013

Edited by ppdd

Run BGC was great!

Pros: well organized, lots of hydration stations (there's a station every 2km) that's well stocked with water and Gatorade, spot on distance markers, very visible route markers, less congested route compared to passing over the Kalayaan flyover and going thru Buendia, and the route had lots of shade, very nice stage at the BHS Central area, fantastic raffle prize!

Cons: different starting areas for different events all quite a walking distance to the finishline. 15K route coincided with the Red Crab Run in McKinley Hill so more people along the route (and since the Red Crab run was only 5k distance, there were plenty of barikada walkers blocking the route).

Weather was nice, with a slight drizzle at gun start. The sun came out bright with very thin cloud cover so temp quickly began to warm up. The revised route is less strenuous to the legs. The Yoga stretching exercise was nice and a welcome change from the usual aerobic warm up exercise. Well done BGC and Runrio!

@Floppydrive... nice FR on your race!

Well... this sunday, I wake up at 6am, and tell my kids that me and my wife will going to race... and I want you to be there to watch us...

Of course, they are grumpy and annoyed since I wake them up early... I drive by heading South...

It was a surprise for them, because we went to Splash Island...

And it was the best day ever for the kids enjoying the slides, water rides etc...

I also enjoy the view of the cool girls in bikinis wub.gif (nip slip too to others)

@Floppydrive... nice FR on your race!

Well... this sunday, I wake up at 6am, and tell my kids that me and my wife will going to race... and I want you to be there to watch us...

Of course, they are grumpy and annoyed since I wake them up early... I drive by heading South...

It was a surprise for them, because we went to Splash Island...

And it was the best day ever for the kids enjoying the slides, water rides etc...

I also enjoy the view of the cool girls in bikinis wub.gif (nip slip too to others)

Nice one Turk! Ikaw na idol ng kids niyan!

Run BGC was great!

Pros: well organized, lots of hydration stations (there's a station every 2km) that's well stocked with water and Gatorade, spot on distance markers, very visible route markers, less congested route compared to passing over the Kalayaan flyover and going thru Buendia, and the route had lots of shade, very nice stage at the BHS Central area, fantastic raffle prize!

Cons: different starting areas for different events all quite a walking distance to the finishline. 15K route coincided with the Red Crab Run in McKinley Hill so more people along the route (and since the Red Crab run was only 5k distance, there were plenty of barikada walkers blocking the route).

Weather was nice, with a slight drizzle at gun start. The sun came out bright with very thin cloud cover so temp quickly began to warm up. The revised route is less strenuous to the legs. The Yoga stretching exercise was nice and a welcome change from the usual aerobic warm up exercise. Well done BGC and Runrio!

nice FR.. congrats bro

yan na din FR ko sa Run BGC :D

halos maligaw ako kakahanap ng starting line.. ampf haha

15km unofficial time: 1hr 52mins (first time na nde ako pinulikat after 12km yehey!!!)

i think i could trim the time down some more, but it seems that the stress and lack of sleep from the day before (from friday graveyard shift, diretso sa kasalan) took its toll on my body. 4km pa lang i was already feeling that i'm starting to run out of air. i got my second wind by the 8-9km mark, lalo na at may nakita ako 2 beautiful, tall targets :wub:

overall it was a great run.. :lol:

next stop: Nike We Run MNL B)

@Turk -- wow a surprise swimming getaway for the kids.. ang saya-saya! baka may kuha ka pics nung cool girls in bikinis and nip slips (ooopppssss) :lol:

nice FR.. congrats bro

yan na din FR ko sa Run BGC :D

halos maligaw ako kakahanap ng starting line.. ampf haha

15km unofficial time: 1hr 52mins (first time na nde ako pinulikat after 12km yehey!!!)

i think i could trim the time down some more, but it seems that the stress and lack of sleep from the day before (from friday graveyard shift, diretso sa kasalan) took its toll on my body. 4km pa lang i was already feeling that i'm starting to run out of air. i got my second wind by the 8-9km mark, lalo na at may nakita ako 2 beautiful, tall targets :wub:

overall it was a great run.. :lol:

next stop: Nike We Run MNL B)

@Turk -- wow a surprise swimming getaway for the kids.. ang saya-saya! baka may kuha ka pics nung cool girls in bikinis and nip slips (ooopppssss) :lol:

Congrats ppdd!

Ako din napalakad sa km 4.75 to 5. Sarap pala sa Bayani rd/Heritage dumaan at malilim, hill reps pa! Was supposed to run more after, pero super init ng araw pagkatapos ng raffle. Will have another chance in this area in next Sunday's Heroes Run 21k.

OK second wind mo, sa hills of Heritage pa! Must really be those 2 beautiful targets. hehehe

Got my Nike We Run Manila 2012 Race pack...

Nice shirt, Nice Bottle,

and I also customized my shirt....

they have this threadmill where if you ran .5KM in 3mins or less, they'll give you a "Super Runner" patch that you can place at the shirt...

guess i'm a super runner (at .5 km) hahaha

see you on Sunday guys...