Tabletop Roleplaying Games

DARKSEED

Maayos naman e. Cute nga noong binanggit nila kung bakit naging ganoon iyung characterization nila considering the characters were played first by the authors and their friends. Ramdam mo habang binabasa ang novels nila yung mga critical fumble, intervention ng DM, in-party intrigue saka yung frustrations nila. Kung naging kasama ko nga sa party si Tas, matagal ko na siyang pinalo ng vallenwood.

Si Salvatore kaya, ginamit kaya niyang character si Drizzt sa gaming sessions niya? Sa pagsusulat niya parang siya ang DM.

• 2 weeks later...

Battlegame as in hack-and-slash, DARKSEED?

@ cocoy, yup, sir darkseed hit the nail on the head. wala nang masyadong role-playing. gone was the magic. transferring our campaign to Pathfinder, as its basically 3.5D&D. the creators were all involved in the creation of 3rd and 3.5th editions of D&D, and since much of the material was covered by an OGL license anyway, they took their creation, repackaged it, and relaunched it. Pathfinder is from Paizo Publishing, the guys who publish Dragon and Dungeon magazines.

Maayos naman e. Cute nga noong binanggit nila kung bakit naging ganoon iyung characterization nila considering the characters were played first by the authors and their friends. Ramdam mo habang binabasa ang novels nila yung mga critical fumble, intervention ng DM, in-party intrigue saka yung frustrations nila. Kung naging kasama ko nga sa party si Tas, matagal ko na siyang pinalo ng vallenwood.

Si Salvatore kaya, ginamit kaya niyang character si Drizzt sa gaming sessions niya? Sa pagsusulat niya parang siya ang DM.

vallenwood lang? i would have tied him upside down on top of a roaring flame! alignment be damned! LOL! from what i know, no, Drizz't was never role played....

"In the early seventies, Ed Whitchurch ran ``his game'', and one of the participants was Eric Sorenson.

Eric plays something like a computer. When he games he methodically considers each possibility before choosing his preferred option. If given time, he will invariably pick the optimal solution. It has been known to take weeks. He is otherwise, in all respects, a superior gamer.

Eric was playing a Neutral Paladin in Ed's game. He was on some lord's lands when the following exchange occurred:

ED: You see a well groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo.

ERIC: A gazebo? What color is it?

ED: (Pause) It's white, Eric.

ERIC: How far away is it?

ED: About 50 yards.

ERIC: How big is it?

ED: (Pause) It's about 30 ft across, 15 ft high, with a pointed top.

ERIC: I use my sword to detect good on it.

ED: It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo.

ERIC: (Pause) I call out to it.

ED: It won't answer. It's a gazebo.

ERIC: (Pause) I sheathe my sword and draw my bow and arrows. Does it respond in any way?

ED: No, Eric, it's a gazebo!

ERIC: I shoot it with my bow (roll to hit). What happened?

ED: There is now a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it.

ERIC: (Pause) Wasn't it wounded?

ED: OF COURSE NOT, ERIC! IT'S A GAZEBO!

ERIC: (Whimper) But that was a +3 arrow!

ED: It's a gazebo, Eric, a GAZEBO! If you really want to try to destroy it, you could try to chop it with an axe, I suppose, or you could try to burn it, but I don't know why anybody would even try. It's a @#$%!! gazebo!

ERIC: (Long pause. He has no axe or fire spells.) I run away.

ED: (Thoroughly frustrated) It's too late. You've awakened the gazebo. It catches you and eats you.

ERIC: (Reaching for his dice) Maybe I'll roll up a fire-using mage so I can avenge my Paladin.

At this point, the increasingly amused fellow party members restored a modicum of order by explaining what a gazebo is.

Thus ends the tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo. A little vocabulary is a dangerous thing. "