Classical Music

baboyboy

Bibihira nakakaalam nito sa mga nakakakilala sa akin, but I am a big classical music junkie. :blush:

Tops on my list would be Chopin (kumpleto ako ng mga pyesa and MIDI nito :) ), Beethoven, Mozart, and Liszt, in that order. Si Chopin, sa sobrang kabaliwan ko, kabisado ko na ang style nya, maski parts lang ng composition nya na hindi ako familiar alam ko agad na sya ang nag-compose non :lol:

I'd go for some Schumann, Brahms, Scarlatti, Rachmaninov, Puccini and a couple of others. For 20th/21st century composers, I'd go for a bit of both hardcore and "commercial/popular" classical composers (and in case you were wondering, halos kumpleto ko yung recordings ng San Miguel Master Chorale/San Miguel Philharmonic Orchestra). I also go for choral music, partly because member ako ng choir.

Guest freyja
Then you have watched Verdi's life on film ayt? I suggest you look for Franco Corelli in youtube, he's tall and handsome during the 50's to 60's, kapanahunan ni Maria Callas, akala mo James Bond. He sings Verdi and Puccini

yup,have watched corelli...hmmm, methinks his voice is not as great like his other contemporaries but he compensated by having that great presence onstage and really good technique....downloaded the file from a torrent site, if i'm not mistaken...along with several clips of maria callas' performances at la scala. you're right...para siyang si james bond.

I didn't know his performances were uploaded sa youtube...checked youtube kanina and watched him sing "Ingemisco". :)

Ingemisico? Verdi's requiem. You can try listening to Jussi Bjoerling.

Someone told me Corelli and Renata Tebaldi came to sing here when he was already retired (araneta coliseum yata kumanta), hanep pa rin daw, kayang kaya niya tabunan ang orchestra, something that Jan Peerce or Bjoerling can't do, my basis is from watching the Firestone tv programs.

The guy is really tall 6'2 daw. May point ka dun, medyo kulang sa musicality. The guy died last 2002 or 2003.

His supposed rival, Mario del Monaco is joked to have a stick in his throat, pero galing kumanta nun.

I'd go for some Schumann, Brahms, Scarlatti, Rachmaninov, Puccini and a couple of others. For 20th/21st century composers, I'd go for a bit of both hardcore and "commercial/popular" classical composers (and in case you were wondering, halos kumpleto ko yung recordings ng San Miguel Master Chorale/San Miguel Philharmonic Orchestra). I also go for choral music, partly because member ako ng choir.

That's cool, pakopya! hehehe!

Speaking of Puccini, there's an audition posted at the sunday mag of the Philippine Star for opera singers on the upcoming La Boheme opera here.

Maybe you can tell me if this is a legend or not, or a joke:

Puccini was thinking of an aria to compose, then he heard a hawker or a seller yelling "Nelson's Doormats!". He then thought "Ah!!!!!!!! Nessun Dorma!" with matching pointing finger up with a pen and the rest was history for the popular Opera "Turandot".

I stumbled upon a 2CD set of Pablo Casals playing Bach's entire cello suites 1 through 6. It was recorded in 1929 and is was simply awesome...

Astor Piazzolla and Carlos Gardel were the "maestros" of the Tango music genre. Piazzolla's "Libertango" and Gardel's "Por Una Cabeza" arranged for a string quartet is truly moving. Even if you don't know how to dance the tango you will be tempted to try a step or two...

Por Una Cabeza was made popular by the movie "True Lies" and "Scent of a Woman"...

Have any of you heard of David Oistrakh, the famous Soviet violinist????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
does coke bolipata still perform with SMPO?

huh? as far as i know coke doesnt perform and is not connected with smpo. he has his own at pundaquit. but it doenst really matter now since the abolition of smpo. too bad we'll miss new recordings and concerts.

denimhead Posted Sep 6 2007, 07:16 PM

Rest in peace Big Pava!

being a tenor myself , i felt really sad knowing one of my heroes died.

snowflake Posted Aug 19 2007, 10:30 PM

Ingemisico? Verdi's requiem. You can try listening to Jussi Bjoerling.

Someone told me Corelli and Renata Tebaldi came to sing here when he was already retired (araneta coliseum yata kumanta), hanep pa rin daw, kayang kaya niya tabunan ang orchestra, something that Jan Peerce or Bjoerling can't do, my basis is from watching the Firestone tv programs.

The guy is really tall 6'2 daw. May point ka dun, medyo kulang sa musicality. The guy died last 2002 or 2003.

His supposed rival, Mario del Monaco is joked to have a stick in his throat, pero galing kumanta nun.

it seems you are a fan of jussi .. truly among all the tenors ive heard his voice is the most pleasing to hear. although im still a big mario lanza fan hehehe.

freyja Posted Aug 12 2007, 10:45 PM

Rachmaninov and Bach are my favorites.

Sa opera, i like la traviata, carmen, rigolleto and aida. obvious ba na i'm a verdi fan? lol.

hmm verdi? a genius with opera but... i hate it that he favors the baritones rather than the tenors. he gives all the good melodies to the baritones and the showoff tunes for tenors hehehe. back in college i wished i was a baritone so i can sing his baritone arias.

huh? as far as i know coke doesnt perform and is not connected with smpo. he has his own at pundaquit. but it doenst really matter now since the abolition of smpo. too bad we'll miss new recordings and concerts.

it seems you are a fan of jussi .. truly among all the tenors ive heard his voice is the most pleasing to hear. although im still a big mario lanza fan hehehe.

hmm verdi? a genius with opera but... i hate it that he favors the baritones rather than the tenors. he gives all the good melodies to the baritones and the showoff tunes for tenors hehehe. back in college i wished i was a baritone so i can sing his baritone arias.

Pls answer my pm baboyboy. Thanks

I read in the book titled Jussi that he (Bjoerling) went to Lanza's home, and they share one thing in common.....they're both alcoholics! hehehehe!

Come on man! Depende sa uso yan! It's all about trends, during Verdi's composition of Rigoletto, the composition for La Donna e Mobile was to hit pensier in F, the note was upgraded to singing in A. Click pa rin ang Tenor roles, even that aria is one of the most played, para kasing pop tune during their time, why would Joey De Leon make a joke about it. :thumbsupsmiley:

Remember when Duprez hit A in chest tone-it caused a phenomenon, hindi na naging in ang falsetto, Meyerbeer still didn't like hitting notes in a manly fashion for a tenor, weather weather lang yan. Uso pa nung time nila ang countertenor. Maybe he changed his mind when he penned the opera Il Paradiso.

oopsies. sorry about the booboo. i was actually thinking about prof. esmilla's son...joseph esmilla, who used to be connected with mso, mco and ppo. confused smpo with coke's group based at casa san miguel. :) my bad. hehehe.

verdi favoring baritones? hmmm...never thought/looked at his body of work that way. i guess i have to listen again to the recordings :)

Edited by freyja
Pls answer my pm baboyboy. Thanks

I read in the book titled Jussi that he (Bjoerling) went to Lanza's home, and they share one thing in common.....they're both alcoholics! hehehehe!

Come on man! Depende sa uso yan! It's all about trends, during Verdi's composition of Rigoletto, the composition for La Donna e Mobile was to hit pensier in F, the note was upgraded to singing in A. Click pa rin ang Tenor roles, even that aria is one of the most played, para kasing pop tune during their time, why would Joey De Leon make a joke about it. :thumbsupsmiley:

Remember when Duprez hit A in chest tone-it caused a phenomenon, hindi na naging in ang falsetto, Meyerbeer still didn't like hitting notes in a manly fashion for a tenor, weather weather lang yan. Uso pa nung time nila ang countertenor. Maybe he changed his mind when he penned the opera Il Paradiso.

oops me pm ka pala, sorry i hardly read or asnwer pm's but ill check it later. hmm i didnt know jussi was also an alcoholic.. la donna e mobile was upgraded to B. actually verdi's tenor arias were very popular , more than his baritone songs. what i've noticed is that the baritone arias and duets are more passionate whereas tenor arias are more playful and mayabang.

oh nga pala, since you brought up countertenors, do any of you guys have a copy of the movie " Farinelli". dunno if that is the title i just know that farinelli is the name of the main character.

freyja Posted Sep 23 2007, 08:07 PM

oopsies. sorry about the booboo. i was actually thinking about prof. esmilla's son...joseph esmilla, who used to be connected with mso, mco and ppo. confused smpo with coke's group based at casa san miguel. my bad. hehehe.

verdi favoring baritones? hmmm...never thought/looked at his body of work that way. i guess i have to listen again to the recordings

is joseph esmilla here in the philippines? ill get back to you on this one. ill ask my musician friends. oh by the way if you are interested in watching chamber music clarion will have thier next performance this month. forgot the exact date e. check nyo na lang sa newspaper.

• 5 weeks later...
I stumbled upon a 2CD set of Pablo Casals playing Bach's entire cello suites 1 through 6. It was recorded in 1929 and is was simply awesome...

Astor Piazzolla and Carlos Gardel were the "maestros" of the Tango music genre. Piazzolla's "Libertango" and Gardel's "Por Una Cabeza" arranged for a string quartet is truly moving. Even if you don't know how to dance the tango you will be tempted to try a step or two...

Por Una Cabeza was made popular by the movie "True Lies" and "Scent of a Woman"...

Have any of you heard of David Oistrakh, the famous Soviet violinist????

re; piazzolla and gardel are two sides of a coin. you must see piazzolla's tango as a re-invention, thus the nuevo tango, and it's a break from the past or what is referred to as the "hollywood tango". and as per piazzola's equation, sex=whorehouse=tango.

by the way, i recently watched a bbc docu on piazzolla, and the references to the role of the musician in society were very provocative, to say the least.

• 3 months later...

Just watched Hilary and Jackie on DVD, the heartbreaking story of sisters Hilary and Jacqueline du Pré, both brilliant child musical prodigies, the first a flautist, and the second a cellist, starring Emily Watson and Rachel Griffiths, who got Oscar nods for their performances here back in 1999. Jacqueline became the preeminent cello virtuoso of her generation but was tragically diagnosed with MS at the age of 28 and finally succumbed at the age of 42. She was married to the equally famous pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim. The Stradivari cello she once played on is now the one which Yo Yo Ma performs with.

post-101504-1201373889.jpg

This is a wonderful companion to the Nupen tribute DVD.

post-101504-1201374026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC documentary on Piazzolla is available on DVD.

post-101504-1202064683.jpg

His compositions have been embraced by outstanding jazz musicians like Gary Burton, Gerry Mulligan, Al Di Meola, Michel Camilo & Tomatito, Richard Galliano and Septeto Mayor.

Among classical musicians his pieces have been interpreted by Yo-Yo Ma, Baltazar Benitez, Gidon Kremer & Vadim Sakarov, Daniel Binelli, Jairo & Lito Cruz. Jose Luis Borges, the legendary Argentine writer, had contributed lyrics for some of his music.

I have also heard the pop girl-group Bond's version of Libertango.

If you like Piazzolla, then give a listen to Gotan Project, whose music is a favorite among world-class gymnasts for their floor exercises. One of their tracks, "Santa Maria", was prominently featured in the Richard Gere-Jennifer Lopez movie "Shall We Dance", as well as in the Antonio Banderas starrer "Take The Lead." You may also have heard their music on some current popular television series.

This is the DVD of Gotan Project

post-101504-1202591951.jpg

Song Title

1. Intro

2. Queremos Paz

3. Vuelvo Al Sur

4. El Capitalismo Foraneo

5. Missa Criola

6. Epoca

7. Una Musica Brutal

8. La Del Ruso

9. Santa Maria (del Buen Ayre)