Classical Music

baboyboy

• 3 weeks later...

just finished watching turandot on dvd and it saddens me that i can only watch them on video knowing that we have a vast amount of talent here in the philippines. we rarely see big opera productions because of budget problems etc etc. and the government of course will never set aside money for these things. also, most major talents would never take a paycut for the sake of art. in singapore there were opera productions where most members of the choruses etc are not getting paid. they agree to it so the production can afford to fly in good foreign talents for thier leads, and so they can provide beautiful sets and costumes. oh and some of the foreign singers they import are filipinos.

classical music? wow...my favorite is maurice ravel's bolero

if you have access to dzfe the master's touch 98.7fm, the station has a program every wed at 9pm...500 years of classical music in 36 hours...cool sya, i heard the first episode last wed...astig...

:thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

for opera lovers like me you may catch tenor sal malachi and rachelle gerodias with other guests tom nyt at meralco theater. dunno the price of tickets but im sure its quite reasonable. an insider musician informed me that the rep was really beautiful and that the performers are excellent. :thumbsupsmiley:

neville Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

ah, i have to run home...the program's about to start....

classical music pa rin!

beethoven's fur elise...iba siya...eerie yet fascinating

i grew up listening and even learning this piece on the piano. it is truly fascinating. i just hate it when i hear it being used as garbage truck music or even for vehicles using it as a backing up tone.

for opera lovers like me you may catch tenor sal malachi and rachelle gerodias with other guests tom nyt at meralco theater. dunno the price of tickets but im sure its quite reasonable. an insider musician informed me that the rep was really beautiful and that the performers are excellent. :thumbsupsmiley:

i grew up listening and even learning this piece on the piano. it is truly fascinating. i just hate it when i hear it being used as garbage truck music or even for vehicles using it as a backing up tone.

hey kelan at anong oras ang program?

:thumbsupsmiley:

Before when a friend of mine was still living here, I kept watching opera concerts for free. Hehehe! I love watching Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's songs always being played every December at CCP. I was even able to watch Verdi's Traviata, Puccini's Butterfly and lots of excerpts of operas from concerts like Verdi's Requiem at the Sanctuario (Forbes Park).

just finished watching turandot on dvd and it saddens me that i can only watch them on video knowing that we have a vast amount of talent here in the philippines. we rarely see big opera productions because of budget problems etc etc. and the government of course will never set aside money for these things. also, most major talents would never take a paycut for the sake of art. in singapore there were opera productions where most members of the choruses etc are not getting paid. they agree to it so the production can afford to fly in good foreign talents for thier leads, and so they can provide beautiful sets and costumes. oh and some of the foreign singers they import are filipinos.
  • 2 weeks later...
Before when a friend of mine was still living here, I kept watching opera concerts for free. Hehehe! I love watching Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's songs always being played every December at CCP. I was even able to watch Verdi's Traviata, Puccini's Butterfly and lots of excerpts of operas from concerts like Verdi's Requiem at the Sanctuario (Forbes Park).

san antonio still puts up shows. maybe 3 or 4 concerts a year. its not that expensive naman e. try mo din. i remember verdi's requiem. twas pierro gamba who conducted. had a hard time remembering the tunes hehehe but after a few rehearsals you can hear how beautiful the music is.

Guest freyja
Excellent choice of music! I used to play music loud on the car, it's either people think it's weird of funny. :rolleyes:

thanks. you are not alone... i get the same reaction from peeps at the office. they can't get over the fact that i listen to rock one second and classical the next. :)

Guest freyja

my current classical musicmatch playlist:

Ride of the Valkyries => Wagner

Serenade No. 13 (strings, G Maj.) => Mozart

Reverie => Debussy

Spring Song =>Mendelssohn

Maybe you could pm me and announce it over here.

One singer that made me fall in love with opera is the late Swedish tenor Jussi Bjoerling.

Bjorling sounds like Christopher Cross, but has solid technique

Personally I prefer him over Pavarotti, that's where I first heard Verdi's requiem,

I loved the aria Ingemisico.

Pierro Gamba? The one with the Filipina girlfriend, hehehe.

Too bad he was reassigned, end of contract right? One of the critics told him flat he

overreacts with the baton, but who cares... Few people listen to opera these days.

san antonio still puts up shows. maybe 3 or 4 concerts a year. its not that expensive naman e. try mo din. i remember verdi's requiem. twas pierro gamba who conducted. had a hard time remembering the tunes hehehe but afteer a few rehearsals you can hear how beautiful the music is.
thanks. you are not alone... i get the same reaction from peeps at the office. they can't get over the fact that i listen to rock one second and classical the next. :)

That's ok. I used to know someone who loves opera music too but asks his Fil Am friend to buy him a Peter, Paul and Mary CD (hindi pa uso ang Napster. :thumbsupsmiley: )