Classical Music

baboyboy

Andre Riéu may be credited with popularizing classical music today, much like Leonard Bernstein and Arthur Fiedler in their time. He is a superstar in Europe and has been featured several times on PBS in the United States.

This YouTube clip excerpted from the DVD Andre Riéu in Wonderland features operatic bass Brian Dickerson singing I've Got Plenty O' Nothing, operatic tenors The Platin Tenors (Thomas Greuel, Béla Mavrák & Gary Bennett) singing The Impossible Dream, and operatic soprano Suzan Erens singing Over The Rainbow.

Watch on YouTube.

Here's some info on The Platin Singers.

Unfortunately, there's no YouTube clip of Brian Dickerson singing O Isis und Osiris from Mozart's The Magic Flute, which is a shame since I think it's the highlight of the entire concert. Don't fret, though, because you can download an MP3 file of it here. Uncompress with WinRAR. You're in for a very special auditory treat.

Edited by manny a. quito

Sorry for the delay, I can't download, parang wala yung mismong file. Will have to wait if that server is up. Sigh

You can download Jussi Bjoerling & Licia Albanese - Manon Lescaut using emule or edonkey client

with the following link.

ed2k://|file|Puccini-Manon_Lescaut-Albanese-Bjorling-Mitropoulos.zip|118605173|EA3B7C0493751B259FC83E38EBAC9720|/

Filesize is 113.11 MB in zip format, so I presume it's MP3.

Sorry for the delay, I can't download, parang wala yung mismong file. Will have to wait if that server is up. Sigh

Below is the ed2k link for a 464.7 Mb download in APE lossless format. You can do an image burn which will give you two audio CD's.

ed2k://|file|Puccini.-.%5BMANON.LESCAUT%28Albanese%2CBjorling%2CMitropoulos%29%5D.%E4%B8%93%E8%BE%91.%28ape%29.rar|487225423|d7fce8de2f891a338c41dbe1d9ba1beb|h=4RSJNBJKLCAYXQFHI6VAZPGPHLDU

FPTT|/

post-101504-1212936098.jpg

DISC 1

01. Atto Primo. Ave sera gentile: Edmondo, coro [0:05:33.37]

02. Tra voi belle: Des Grieux [0:01:20.68]

03. Ma Bravo: Coro [0:03:48.10]

04. Cortese damigella: Manon, Des Grieux [0:04:12.60]

05. Donna non vidi mai: Des Grieux [0:02:57.67]

06. La tua ventura:Edmondo,Geronte,Lescaut,Oste [0:07:42.10]

07. Vedete? Io son fedele: Manon, Des Grieux [0:06:05.53]

08. Oh che bei pazzi: Edmondo,Lescaut,Geronte,Coro [0:04:23.30]

09. Atto II. Dispettosetto questo riccio:Manon, Lescaut [0:05:11.72]

10. In quelle trine morbide: Manon [0:09:09.18]

11. Vi prego, signorina:Maestro di ballo, Manon, Geronte [0:07:12.57]

DISC 2

01. Ah Manon!: Manon, Des Grieux [0:10:14.30]

02. Aff? Madamigella: Geronte,Manon,Madamigella [0:03:12.42]

03. Ah! Manon, mi tradisce...: Des Grieux [0:02:24.70]

04. Oh Ciel, che ?stato: Manon,DesGrieux,Lescaut,Geronte [0:03:29.23]

05. Atto III. Intermezzo [0:05:14.17]

06. Ansia eterna, crudel: Des Grieux,Lecaut,Manon [0:04:47.10]

07. E Kate rispose al Re: Lampionario [0:02:47.25]

08. All'armi! All'armi: Manon,Des Grieux,Lescaut,Sergente,Coro [0:05:46.70]

09. Ah, non v'avvicinate: Des Grieux, Comandante, Coro [0:03:09.13]

10. Atto IV. Tutta su me ti posa: Manon, Des Grieux [0:09:59.60]

11. Sola, perduta, abbandonata: Manon [0:04:05.00]

12. Fra le tue braccia: Manon, Des Grieux [0:07:01.57]

Click here for the original download site

Mstislav Rostropovich - J.S. Bach Cello Suites

post-101504-1212939664.jpg

Below is ed2k link for 545.0 Mb download in APE lossless format:

ed2k://|file|Bach.-.%5BCello.Suiten%28Mstislav.Rostropovich%29%5D.%E4%B8%93%E8%BE%91.%28APE%29.rar|571507223|3208ea2fc9c719dd0b303a33f843733e|h=T773QMBBE44MS7MX7CHLEU7VTQXT

4ZRL|/

Track List:

CD1

01-07. Suite Nr.1, BWV 1007

08-14. Suite Nr.4, BWV 1010

15-21. Suite Nr.5, BWV 1011

CD2

01-07. Suite Nr.2, BWV 1008

08-14. Suite Nr.3, BWV 1009

15-21. Suite Nr.6, BWV 1012

The suites have six movements each, according to the following structure and order:

1. Prelude

2. Allemande

3. Courante

4. Sarabande

5. Galanteries – (Minuets for Suites 1 and 2, Bourrées for 3 and 4, Gavottes for 5 and 6)

6. Gigue

The intermezzo or galanterie movements between the Sarabande and Gigue consist of pairs, hence, there are 7 audio tracks in each suite.

Edited by manny a. quito

Patience, Snow. Emule is a peer-to-peer network, so that not everyone is continuously connected. In the eMule Transfer or Search display window, under the Sources column, the pair of numbers indicate, total number of available sources, then in parentheses, number of complete sources. You'll just have to wait until the sources connect to the network. Sometimes, it will take days to download the entire file, since the parts come from different sources which are not always online.

Here is another ed2k link for 2-CD Bjorling's Manon Lescaut, this time in uncompressed WAV format, hence the rather large file size (more than 800 Mb):

ed2k://|file|Puccini.-.Manon.Lescaut.-.Bjorling,Albanese,Perlea.Studio.Recording.1954.rar|933711774|6F52FC2609E2C88A1F

9AE790CBC582D4|/

That's it. Those are all the links I've found. I haven't seen any torrent links. Take your pick, and have luck downloading.

P.S.

MANON LESCAUT – Giacomo Puccini

To further guide your choice of download, I've discovered that there are two versions of this opera recording. One is the classic RCA-Victor studio recording from 1954 with Licia Albanese and Jussi Bjoerling, and the other is the live recording of the Metropolitan Opera House broadcast from two years later (1956), which was to be the first time they were to sing this opera together in the theater.

Personnel of studio recording:

RCA Victor

Recorded at Rome Opera

Conductor: Jonel Perlea

Manon Lescaut: Licia Albanese

Lescaut: Robert Merrill

Cavalier des Grieux: Jussi Bjoerling

Geronte de Ravoir: Franco Calabrese

Edmond: Mario Carlin

Innkeeper / Ship's Captain: Enrico Campi

Madrigalist: Anna Maria Rota

" Much of the success of this recording revolves around its studio sound. The voices are so forward,and the balance with the orchestra so singer-focussed that it really captures the intimacy and eroticism of Puccini's little opera. The choice of singers has a lot to do with this as well. Neither Albanese nor Bjoerling have stentorian voices. Both have highly individualistic and essentially lyric timbres. This, for me, is what makes this recording work so well. Because of the excellent balance between the miking of the singers and the backdrop focus of the orchestra, Albanese and Bjoerling can practically whisper at each other. They both respond to the emotional content and language very individually, and the illusion of youthful ardor they capture is breathtaking."

Personnel of live recording:

Metropolitan Opera House

March 31, 1956 Matinee Broadcast

Conductor: Dimitri Mitropoulos

Manon: Licia Albanese

Des Grieux: Jussi Bjorling

Lescaut: Frank Guarrera

Geronte: Fernando Corena

Edmondo: Thomas Hayward

Innkeeper: George Cehanovsky

Solo Madrigalist: Rosalind Elias

Dancing Master: Alessio De Paolis

Sergeant: Calvin Marsh

Lamplighter: James McCracken

Captain: Osie Hawkins

Edited by manny a. quito
oh my!!! how old was she then? tremendous!!!! and she grew to be a very pretty lady too. hayyy... i have a thing pa naman with pretty violinists!!!!

I think she was just 9 or 10 in that video clip.

Like you, I too have a thing for lovely violinists and cellists, as well. My flavor of the nonce is Janine Jansen.

post-101504-1213214604.jpgpost-101504-1213214658.jpg

post-101504-1213214683.jpg

See my previous post.

Watch Janine Jansen

on YouTube.

Also on YouTube, Janine Jansen performing

and Bruch's Romance in F for Viola and Orchestra, Op. 85. Edited by manny a. quito
Would you happen to have Prelude from Cello Suite No 1? I have it by Pablo Casals, and then also from Rostropovich, and Yoyoma's version too...however those I have arent good recordings (poor quality encoding)...

Here are links to some great downloads:

Le Roi s'amuse

Bach - Cello Suites - Casals [EMI] Classics 2CDs

post-101504-1213527417.jpg

ed2k link:

ed2k://|file|Pablo.Casals.-.%5BBach.Cello.Suites.%28Doc.%29%5D.%E4%B8%93%E8%BE%91.%28FLAC%29.rar|465555036|433b80d16a73f7ff74fad58c5b14c6ac|h=ETMC6TDE6BUWW2VJUOX3BTW2CNLX

CEYR|/

post-101504-1213526820.jpg

Watch excerpt of Cello Suite No. 1 on

Download the Pablo Casals - Prelude from J. S. Bach Cello Suite No. 1 in FLAC lossless format here.

Edited by manny a. quito
  • 2 weeks later...

Natasha Marsh singing an adaptation of Queen of the Night from Mozart's The Magic Flute for ITV's Euro 2008 title sequence.

post-101504-1214316953.jpg

What Natasha says about this version:

"I've sung Pamina in opera houses all round Europe, but I'm not a Queen of the Night, with those stratospheric top Fs," she stresses. "So I told ITV we'd have to do an adaptation, because it's not my role. We changed the key, obviously, then they found an arranger to add a different take on it. It's a little bit more brass-heavy than Mozart's original and the orchestration is different. It gives it a more epic quality."

Quote from Telegraph.co.uk:

Mozart's challenge

The Queen of the Night’s Der Hölle Rache (“The Vengeance of Hell”) is usually known as the Queen of the Night aria, even though it’s the second one she sings in The Magic Flute. Famous for its two-octave range, it’s peppered with nosebleed-high Fs and is one of the most exacting examinations of a soprano’s coloratura. The aria was first performed onstage by Mozart’s sister-in-law, Josepha Hofer, and subsequently tested the mettle of a roll-call of grand divas. It was also a favourite of the risibly inept soprano Florence Foster Jenkins.

Watch it on YouTube.

Edited by manny a. quito
  • 2 weeks later...

This is mezzosoprano Magdalena Kozená, the first Czech to receive the prestigious "Artist of the Year" title from the British magazine Gramophone.

post-101504-1215118794.jpg

Double CD Enchantment

post-101504-1215118853.jpg

Disc 1

01. Cinq Mars: Nuit resplendissante (Charles Gounod)

02. Carmen: Les tringles des sistres tintaient "Gypsy Song" (Georges Bizet)

03. Le nozze di Figaro, K 492: Voi che sapete che cosa è amor (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

04. Giulio Cesare, HWV 17: Che sento? oh Dio! (George Frideric Handel)

05. Giulio Cesare, HWV 17: Se pietà di me non senti (George Frideric Handel)

06. Giulio Cesare, HWV 17: Piangerò la sorte mia (George Frideric Handel)

07. Giulio Cesare, HWV 17: Da tempeste il legno infranto (George Frideric Handel)

08. Dardanus: Air - Gracieux L'Amour, le seul Amour (Jean-Philippe Rameau)

09. Dardanus: Air - Allez, jeune guerrier (Jean-Philippe Rameau)

10. Languet Anima Mea: O vulnera, vita coelestis (Francesco B. Conti)

11. Vergnügte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust, BWV 170 (Johann Sebastian Bach)

12. Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244: no 47, Erbarme dich (Johann Sebastian Bach)

13. Tra le fiamme, HWV 170: Voli per l'aria chi può volare (George Frideric Handel)

14. Tra le fiamme, HWV 170: Tra le fiamme Tu Scherzi (George Frideric Handel)

Disc 2

01. Ach, dass ich Wassers genug hätte (Johann Christoph Bach)

02. Was mir behagt, ist nur die muntre Jagd!, BWV 208 "Hunt Cantata": Schafe können sicher weiden (Johann Sebastian Bach)

03. Freue dich, erlöste Schar, BWV 30: Kommt, ihr angefochtnen Sünder (Johann Sebastian Bach)

04. Dixit Dominus, HWV 232: De torrente (George Frideric Handel) feat. Annick Massis

05. L'olimpiade: Che non mi disse un di! (Josef Myslivecek)

06. Paride ed Elena: Quegli occhi belli (Christoph W. Gluck) feat. Susan Gritton, Carolyn Sampson

07. La clemenza di Tito, K 621: Deh, per questo istante solo (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)

08. Cléopâtre: J'ai versé le poison (Jules Massenet)

09. Il Tramonto (Ottorino Respighi)

10. Satires (5), Op. 109: no 3, The descendants (Dmitri Shostakovich)

11. A Charm of Lullabies, Op. 41: no 2, Highland balou (Benjamin Britten)

12. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 17, For Whom the Flower (Who Is The Posy For?) (Leos Janácek)

13. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 5, Lover's Likeness (A Lover's Picture) (Leos Janácek)

14. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 19, Light Feather (Little Posy) (Leos Janácek)

15. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 16, Steadiness (Constancy) (Leos Janácek)

16. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 1, Love (Leos Janácek)

17. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 38, Parting (Leos Janácek)

18. Moravian folk poetry in Song: no 18, My Lover's Horses (Leos Janácek)

19. In folk tone, Op. 73/B 146: no 1, Good night, my darling (Antonín Dvorák)

20. In folk tone, Op. 73/B 146: no 2, When a maiden was a-mowing "Zalo Dievca" (Antonín Dvorák)

Watch her on

singing Piu Non Si Trovano by Josef Myslivecek.

After hearing Natalia Marsh's version, I went in search of a complete performance of the aria and found this. The superb technique and vocal agility of Sumi Jo is demonstrated in her rendition of Der Hölle Rache Kocht In Meinem Herzen ("Hell's vengeance boils in my heart") from Mozart's Die Zauberflöte.

Watch it on

For a superior theatrical performance which completely enthralls, one can't go much further than Diane Damrau's Queen of the Night.

Watch it on

. Edited by manny a. quito

Riding on a wave of serendipity, I came across this clip of Lara St. John playing the Der Hölle Rache melody in a duet with, of all things, the Chinese erhu played by George Gao.

Watch her on

Who's Lara St. John, you say?

Amazon.com says:

"Born in London, Ontario, Lara St. John was a child prodigy on the violin at the age of two, and went on her first European tour at the age of ten! At age thirteen she skipped from the eighth grade to a B.A. program at the Curtis Institute of Music. She plays a priceless 1779 Guadagnini violin. Her compelling personality and insightful performances have stimulated interest in classical music in a wide audience that seldom listened to it before. She scandalized some of the old school for appearing scantily clad on a couple of album covers, but she is completely authentic: a great violinist, whatever she is or is not wearing. As one critic wrote, she "has nothing to hide"--her musicality is first class. Lara St. John's brilliant musicianship, striking looks, and vivid personality have made her an authentic classical superstar."

post-101504-1215280361.jpg

Track List:

01. Concerto No. 1: Allegro

02. Concerto No. 1: Andante

03. Concerto No. 1: Allegro

04. Concerto No. 2: Allegro

05. Concerto No. 2: Adagio

06. Concerto No. 2: Allegro Assai

07. Double Concerto in D minor: Vivace

08. Double Concerto in D minor: Largo ma non tanto

09. Double Concerto in D minor: Allegro

10. Sonata No. 1: Adagio

11. Sonata No. 1: Fuga

12. Sonata No. 1: Siciliana

13. Sonata No. 1: Presto

post-101504-1215280536.jpg

post-101504-1215280484.jpg

Watch her play the Prelude to Bach's Partita No. 3 in E Major on YouTube.

Edited by manny a. quito

Check out info about Radu Marian.

post-101504-1215346395.jpg

Track List:

01. "Se l'auraspira" (Girolamo Frescobaldi)

02. "Così midisprezzate?" (Girolamo Frescobaldi)

03. "Sicut stellamatutina" (Giacomo Carissimi)

04. "Quid agis cor meum" (Giacomo Carissimi)

05. "Quando tal'hor"(Lamento del Castrato) - Anonymous (17th cent.)

06. "Come al bosco" from the oratorio "San Petronio" (Giacomo Antonio Peri)

07. "Der Hölle Rache" (in French) from the "Zauberflöte" (Wolfgang Amadéus Mozart)

08. "Crucifixus" from the "Petite Messe Solemnelle" (Gioachino Rossini)

09. "Ave Maria" (Charles Gounod)

10. "È stato l'inizio di Primavera", op. 38 nr .2 (Piotr Ilitch Tchaikovsky)

11. "Notte Triste" (Sergei Rachmaninov)

12. "Amarilli III" (Flavio Colusso)

Listen to him sing Der Hölle Rache on YouTube.

Download MP3 of Radu Marian singing Der Hölle Rache here.

post-101504-1215461632.jpg

post-101504-1215461661.jpg

Alexandra Soumm started learning the violin at the age of five from her father. In 2002, she won the Grand Prize of the Vienna Conservatory Competition. In 2004, she won the first prize of the Eurovision Competition of Young Musicians in Lucerne. Alexandra Soumm plays on a 1735 Francesco Stradivarius.

Alexandra Soumm - Bruch - Paganini Violin Concertos No. 1

post-101504-1215461491.jpg

Track List:

01. Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26 - I. Allegro moderato

02. Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26 - II. Adagio

03. Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26 - III. Allegro energico

04. Niccolo Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major, Op. 6 - I. Allegro maestoso

05. Niccolo Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major, Op. 6 - II. Adagio espressivo

06. Niccolo Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major, Op. 6 - III. Rondo. Allegro spirituoso

Watch her at the age of ten playing Antonio Bazzini's La Ronde des Lutins (Dance of the Goblins) on

Watch her playing Franz Waxman's Carmen Fantasie at age fourteen on