Classical Music

baboyboy

Check out Gilles Apap, who, imho, is the foremost violinist of the twenty-first century.

This is his cadenza from the third movement of Mozart's Violin Concerto in G Major, K216.

Get his CDs, if you can find them.

post-101504-1161447649.jpg

1. Spanish Dance No. 1 From La Vida Breve, Act 2

2. Zella Zella

3. The Whistle

4. Two Guitars

5. March From The Love For Three Oranges, Op. 33a

6. Valse Triste (Sad Waltz)

7. Hora Romanesca ("The Lesson")

8. Hora in B minor

9. Csardas

10. Desire

11. Wunderbar Violin

12. Zina's Tune

13. Youri, You're In

14. Java Manouche

15. Hora Presta

16. Sabre Dance From Gayane

17. Gypsy Medley

post-101504-1161448444.jpg

1. Schizoid Whistler

2. Concerto No 1 in E La primavera, Allegro

3. Concerto No 1 in E La primavera, Largo

4. Concerto No 1 in E La primavera, Allegro

5. Izpupsi-knuci, trad. Bulgarian tune

6. Danse Oubliée, Flora Thalassa

7. Romanian Tune

8. Concerto No. 2 in G minor L'estate, Allegro non molto

9. Concerto No. 2 in G minor L'estate, Adagio

10. Concerto No. 2 in G minor L'estate, Presto

11. Agala Im Susa, Avshalom Cohen

12. The Heyser Bulgar, Trad. Jewish tune

13. The Haunted House and Isabelle Blackley, trad. Irish and Scottish jigs

14. Dowd's Favorite, Otter's Holt, and Mother's Delight, trad. Irish reels

15. Concerto No. 3 in F L'autunno, Allegro

16. Concerto No. 3 in F L'autunno, Adagio molto

17. Concerto No. 3 in F L'autunno, Allegro

18. Concerto No.4 in F minor, L'inverno, Allegro non molto

19. Concerto No.4 in F minor, L'inverno, Largo

20. Concerto No.4 in F minor, L'inverno, Allegro

21. Lost Indian and Ways of the World, Trad. old-time tunes

Born the sons of a chieftain of an isolated jungle tribe (Tabajaras Indians) in Ceara, Brazil, Musiperi and Herundy, taught themselves how to play guitar. They later toured South America and Mexico, having taken the stage names of "Natalicio and Antenor Lima," and thereafter proceeded to perform all over Europe.

post-101504-1161781059.jpg

Los Indios Tabajaras rose to fame in the 1960's, initially, as folk musicians, then as classical guitarists and later as pop instrumentalists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdYF5gZckmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dGorvfiwT0

Wow... ok, my bad for posting a reply first before browsing thru previous posts... i didn't know people here mean business...

i learned so much from the posts here! kudos to all those who took the time to share their stored knowledge and info... now i am getting hooked on reading about all the great musicians behind the magical at the same time moving pieces that i listen to while i do my homework in my MA classes. hehehehe...

my brother plays viola and is a member of their school's high school orchestra. and he's my basic source of information. i've only seen him played just once though... but man, i can't get enough of it. aside from hotels, are there any other places where i can watch orchestra/symphonies play?

my friend who's into classical music recommended "The Pianist"... what's your take on it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Bach and Vivaldi!!!

There are some great websites where you can download the classical composers' sheet music if you play an instrument. PM me if you'd like to know the urls or if you're looking for a particular piece.

this is really greatnews. may i ask if the sites are free?

StoneRhino Posted Today, 06:27 PM

Yngwie Malmsteen made me come back to the original masters. Now I truly understand the theories behind his music.

bro curious lang... who is he? or she? anong form of music nya?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Astor Piazzolla was probably the most brilliant and most influential composer of the last century.

A good introduction to his music is this 2-cd release.

post-101504-1164143627.jpg

first, i agree that piazzolla is one of the greatest composers/artists to come out in the latter part of the 20th century, but re being the most influential is a huge overstatement. the minimalists [although now they would rather not be called that] steve reich, philip glass, john adams to name a few have shaped the way composers and musicians look and play music today. in fact, the minimalist style is so much a part of our daily life we don't even think about it- think BBC theme, rave music, techno. but i guess the problem is that we live in a world which has turned music into big business, and it is treated without much difference from sports and more to the point, as cultural icons that are on the "must have" list to affirm our place in society. the music either moves you or it doesn't, and it is no fault to like or not to like since democracy allows one to pursue his preferences.

Does anyone listen to Erik Satie? Interesting life, interesting music.

His most famous song, Gymnopedies, has been sampled from Janet Jackson to Ryuichi Sakamoto.

there are three gymnopedies, written for piano solo. originally meant as studies in nakedness, that's why the composition is so bare. he was the oldest of the impressionist, and he played in the black cat cafe. i find this sampling business very derogatory and i wish these people would at least mention these composers; is it not customary and polite to acknowledge as to who is being quoted?

first, i agree that piazzolla is one of the greatest composers/artists to come out in the latter part of the 20th century, but re being the most influential is a huge overstatement. the minimalists [although now they would rather not be called that] steve reich, philip glass, john adams to name a few have shaped the way composers and musicians look and play music today. in fact, the minimalist style is so much a part of our daily life we don't even think about it- think BBC theme, rave music, techno. but i guess the problem is that we live in a world which has turned music into big business, and it is treated without much difference from sports and more to the point, as cultural icons that are on the "must have" list to affirm our place in society. the music either moves you or it doesn't, and it is no fault to like or not to like since democracy allows one to pursue his preferences.

i think the best introduction to piazzolla is the zero hour cd [hope i got it right]. piazzolla refers to his tango as 'nuevo tango' and it should not be considered with the same triviality as the hollywood tango and the spanish tango. this is the argaentinian tango, bourne from the port towns and the brothels. meaning no disrespect and expecting a very open mind, the equation is whorehouse=sex=tango.

hrm.. http://www.yngwie.org/

Basically he's a neoclassical guitarist whose style is heavily influenced by Bach, Beethoven, etc.

At least, he was a decade ago. Haven't heard about him since then.

:)

i think the classification is too arbitrary and misleading. being able to put in or quote parts from somebody's composition does not mean one is "influenced" by that composer. it only turns one into a very good parrot, and even if the parrot can recite the old and new testament it will not evolve into a man or a saint. methinks we should be more discerning about the way we discuss music.